This is why we can't have nice things

Vagrant.7206

qgHOeg3.jpg

• One of the more intense matches I've had this season, we made a comeback with a few points to spare, and I only got +12.
  • A complete knockout got me -20. But then a very close match also got me -20.

ArenaNet, if you aren't aware that Glicko is complete crap for comparing matches in a game as complicated as GW2, I don't even know what to say.

@Coolguy.8702 said:Maybe if you werent running kit holo with laser disc your team woulda won those games in the first place. Dont blame anet for your mistakes

Looking at the HP i can safely say that he is in a low level area in PvE with the meta holo setup for raiding/fractals and not in the PvP lobby, so this image doesnt show what build he uses in sPvP.

@Coolguy.8702 said:Maybe if you werent running kit holo with laser disc your team woulda won those games in the first place. Dont blame anet for your mistakes

The build he runs has absolutely nothing to do with the rating system and the points he brought up in his post in anyway. If you want to find something to hate on without even trying to understand the issue, dont post.

@Abelisk.4527 said:You're probably in Plat. Plat is considered one of the greatest tier, below Legend. Gold is a good tier, silver is mediocre and bronze is poor.

If he's US Legend doesn't even exists lol.

But yeah i don't know how Glicko works but i never had the feeling that personal performances or team performances had any impact on your rating. always felt like gains/losses were just based around the difference between the average MMR of both teams.

LOL

Take a closer look at my bar and tell me I'm in the PvP lobby. Go ahead! I challenge you!

@Odik.4587 said:Thats common as hell to win way less than you lose ,why cri nao?

What kind of argument is that? This is normal so stop complaining?

I'm pointing out that Glicko is deeply flawed as a rating system for a game like GW2, it doesn't matter what timeframe you're talking about.

+12 is actually good, when you're above Plat 2 you will barely ever get more. In fact in the match I just played, I got +10 for an extremely match. The problem is simply that the player pool is too low, hence the higher rated players often will have to play with much lower players and carry the game, or face big losses.

@"Vagrant.7206" said:qgHOeg3.jpg

• One of the more intense matches I've had this season, we made a comeback with a few points to spare, and I only got +12.
  • A complete knockout got me -20. But then a very close match also got me -20.

ArenaNet, if you aren't aware that Glicko is complete crap for comparing matches in a game as complicated as GW2, I don't even know what to say.

The system penalizes heavy mismatch losses more than it does relatively close losses. I've explained this in another thread about the rating system. This is similar to the old win streaking system. If you run into an unbalanced match and lose badly, you will get the heaviest penalty.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

Would you say that League of Legends was more, or less, complicated than GW2 PvP? I'm just innocently curious here, and definitely not leading you toward a lesson about how wrong you really are when you discover what underlies the MMR in LoL....

Also, what would you suggest instead of GLICKO-2, eh? What is a better match, in your opinion?

I'm not familiar enough with different rating systems or LoL to provide an adequate alternative, but I will say that if the system is this bad at predicting match outcomes, and then penalizes you for its bad predictions, then the system should be scrapped. Either go completely random altogether, or look for a better solution.

Oh. Well, let me help you out there: LoL uses ELO. In fact, if you wander around, you will find out that ELO and GLICKO-2 are used in most places, with a few using Microsoft TrueSkill -- an attempt to better account for individual performance while being roughly the same framework as GLICKO-2.

So... GW2 is using what is essentially the current state of the art. There are not really any broadly used systems that provide better performance, and the folks running large scale games that are literally nothing but PvP are satisfied with the performance of them, even when they are used for random matchup groups without coordination.

So, yeah, that whole look for a better solution, might turn out to be a bit harder than you imagine there, what with it being pretty much the state of the art solution to the problem.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

Would you say that League of Legends was more, or less, complicated than GW2 PvP? I'm just innocently curious here, and definitely not leading you toward a lesson about how wrong you really are when you discover what underlies the MMR in LoL....

Also, what would you suggest instead of GLICKO-2, eh? What is a better match, in your opinion?

I'm not familiar enough with different rating systems or LoL to provide an adequate alternative, but I will say that if the system is this bad at predicting match outcomes, and then penalizes you for its bad predictions, then the system should be scrapped. Either go completely random altogether, or look for a better solution.

So, yeah, that whole look for a better solution, might turn out to be a bit harder than you imagine there, what with it being pretty much the state of the art solution to the problem.

Well in that case, I honestly enjoyed the truly random arenas of GW1 a bit more. Blowouts weren't overly penalizing/rewarding, nor were close matches.

Then again, the RA format of GW1 was a bit faster, and was TDM instead of Conquest.

6 loses 4 wins

120 points lost, 56 points gained is all I'm seeing from that picture NO idea how that's "fair" or "balance" if you look at the scores in each match from his loses and wins you can tell the system isn't making any sense or takes noting else into consideration at all. Weather your bronze, silver, gold, plat or even legend it DOES not justify the results Plat+ are getting and IT shouldn't be so heavily of a lost when matches are SO far from being 'equally" matched.

Like i tell everyone else in this game, DO not take rank serious anymore it's not worth the effort or time at all. PLAY whatever spam/cancer builds you enjoy memeing on and farm it for the gold because with how the FIRST and LAST week of rank it's pure win trading, and pure aids match ups in between the season before you start getting all those crazy games at the last few days.

If you are Looking for actual competitive match ups then look for in-house games with solid plat players that are putting things together, or make friends with other solid plat players to get yourself into some solid games because with the way things are with rank and AT's this game mode offers noting else for players that are striving to get better. It's literally a struggle for A LOT of the plat players who aren't above P3.

@"zoopop.5630" said:6 loses 4 wins

120 points lost, 56 points gained is all I'm seeing from that picture NO idea how that's "fair" or "balance" if you look at the scores in each match from his loses and wins you can tell the system isn't making any sense or takes noting else into consideration at all. Weather your bronze, silver, gold, plat or even legend it DOES not justify the results Plat+ are getting and IT shouldn't be so heavily of a lost when matches are SO far from being 'equally" matched.

Like i tell everyone else in this game, DO not take rank serious anymore it's not worth the effort or time at all. PLAY whatever spam/cancer builds you enjoy memeing on and farm it for the gold because with how the FIRST and LAST week of rank it's pure win trading, and pure aids match ups in between the season before you start getting all those crazy games at the last few days.

If you are Looking for actual competitive match ups then look for in-house games with solid plat players that are putting things together, or make friends with other solid plat players to get yourself into some solid games because with the way things are with rank and AT's this game mode offers noting else for players that are striving to get better. It's literally a struggle for A LOT of the plat players who aren't above P3.

LOl, your saying same thing that me :D

@Frostmane.9734 said:Don't you get 10 rank points just for hitting the ready button? Assuming you did that, that would mean the rest of the match only yielded 2-6 points. Conversely, in a loss, and again assuming you hit ready, the rest of the match you lost between 27-34 points.

I'm asking.

You don't get rating from pressing ready. You get extra reward track points for pressing ready.

@Crinn.7864 said:

@"Frostmane.9734" said:Don't you get 10 rank points just for hitting the ready button? Assuming you did that, that would mean the rest of the match only yielded 2-6 points. Conversely, in a loss, and again assuming you hit ready, the rest of the match you lost between 27-34 points.

I'm asking.

You don't get rating from pressing ready. You get extra reward track points for pressing ready.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure the game calls it "rank points" so naturally I was like wtf

Archived