Stats for PvE sword weaver?

Danikat.8537

What stats would you suggest for a weaver using sword in open-world PvE?

I know sword weaver is currently not considered a good choice, but this character is purely for me to play in casual, open-world PvE so I'm picking skills I find fun and that means using the sword. I just want to be able to stay alive and kill normal enemies, hopefully up to veteran solo and contribute to champs and elites.

A core stat would be preferable, just because HoT and PoF stats tend to take more time/gold to get and I'm already doing that for 2 other characters (who I'll probably use more anyway).

@Nepster.4275 said:I heard Spearmarshal is kinda good on sword ele

I wouldn't recommend Marshal stat for open world PvE, the healing power is quite useless and so is condi. It's better for WvW roaming probably (Cello's build for example). For open world PvE Berzerker is still the best, or a mix of Marauder and Berzerker is also fine.

@Danikat.8537 said:I know sword weaver is currently not considered a good choice

I disagree, after the big nerfs on Staff I no longer use it in the open world, unless it's a big world boss, I swapped to Sword/Dagger and won't look back. It's all about using appropriate traits and skills than attributes, I use full Berserker and find little trouble surviving against veterans or champions, provided I play smart and don't get the mobs focus that is. On the subject of Sword Weaver, please stay away of the open world metabattle build as Fresh Air is bad on Sword, use Fire/Arcane/Weaver instead.

Well like I said the sole purpose of this character is for me to have fun with it, if there's something I can't do I can just switch to another one. So no I'm not using meta-builds (from anywhere) and I'm not worried about choosing traits and skills. That part I can do, I just keep drawing a blank on stats to go with it.

Normally I spent the time I'm levelling a character trying out different stats and skills so by the time I get to level 80 I know exactly what I want for them, but this one was levelled with tomes and then rushed through hero challenges to unlock weaver so I've not had that.

@Danikat.8537 said:Well like I said the sole purpose of this character is for me to have fun with it, if there's something I can't do I can just switch to another one. So no I'm not using meta-builds (from anywhere) and I'm not worried about choosing traits and skills. That part I can do, I just keep drawing a blank on stats to go with it.

Normally I spent the time I'm levelling a character trying out different stats and skills so by the time I get to level 80 I know exactly what I want for them, but this one was levelled with tomes and then rushed through hero challenges to unlock weaver so I've not had that.

I get the feeling Celestial is the stat set for you. Especially if you like experimenting with your build, trying out different trait combos, etc.

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:Well like I said the sole purpose of this character is for me to have fun with it, if there's something I can't do I can just switch to another one. So no I'm not using meta-builds (from anywhere) and I'm not worried about choosing traits and skills. That part I can do, I just keep drawing a blank on stats to go with it.

I get the feeling Celestial is the stat set for you. Especially if you like experimenting with your build, trying out different trait combos, etc.

I'd advise against Celestial for Weaver. I tried it the first time I played through PoF, since I had a set of Celestial gear that I'd used with my Tempest, and I assumed it would be suitable for Weaver since Weaver's Sword lets you select Celestial stats. What I found was that my damage was terrible, but the extra survivability wasn't enough to help me survive through the longer fights.

As an example of how badly it can go: some chests in PoF spawn enemies who interrupt you before you can finish opening them. With Celestial Weaver, by the time I'd killed those enemies and went to open the chest again, the respawn timer had reset so they respawned again.

That said, my gear was mostly Exotic (except for some of my trinkets being Ascended) - having full Ascended might make enough of a difference for it to be worthwhile.

@"Nepster.4275" said:I heard Spearmarshal is kinda good on sword ele

Here's a thread discussing Spearmarshal gear for Ele from a few months ago that you might find useful. There seems to be a lot of disagreement about whether it's any good.

Personally I use a combination of Marauder and Berserker on my Weaver (although I can't remember exactly what combination) and I find that works very well - but I use Sceptre rather than Sword. Since Sword has a fair bit of burning and bleeding, you might be better off using something with a bit of Condition Damage, e.g. Grieving.

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:

I'd advise against Celestial for Weaver. I tried it the first time I played through PoF, since I had a set of Celestial gear that I'd used with my Tempest, and I assumed it would be suitable for Weaver since Weaver's Sword lets you select Celestial stats. What I found was that my damage was terrible, but the extra survivability wasn't enough to help me survive through the longer fights.

As an example of how badly it can go: some chests in PoF spawn enemies who interrupt you before you can finish opening them. With Celestial Weaver, by the time I'd killed those enemies and went to open the chest again, the respawn timer had reset so they respawned again.

That's common problem of cele, not something specific to weaver. It's not efficient at anything. But if you're just looking to have fun and experiment, it will let you do that.

From my experience, a combination of Celestial and Grieving works well for Sword/Dagger Weaver. Basically slot Celestial gear until you feel comfortable with the survivability then fill the rest with Grieving. Grieving trades the toughness/vitality/healing of Celestial for more power+ condition damage.

Just please do not go full Berserker on sword Weaver in PvE.. 10k base health in melee range and no defense is a liability to your allies. I know its the meta and everything but take a defensive stat so anyone you play with can play hit the enemy instead of pick up the Weaver.

For physical damage Marauder or partial Valkyrie, for conditions Carrion, Shaman or Plaguedoctor, for a mix of both Celestial.

I know this sounds like a condescending post, but Elementalist is an extremely frail class and putting them into melee range just makes that even worse, and unlike D/D the Weaver's sword has no ranged attack whatsoever, just limited ice bow and fire sword usage for range.

@Feanor.2358 said:

That's common problem of cele, not something specific to weaver. It's not efficient at anything. But if you're just looking to have fun and experiment, it will let you do that.

Fair enough, Ele is the only class I've used with Celestial so I can't compare it with others. Celestial did seem a lot more effective with Tempest than Weaver though, even from the point of view of doing damage.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:use Fire/Arcane/Weaver instead.

Which traits in these lines do you recommend, if I may ask?

In Fire: Burning Precision, Pyromancer's Training, Pyromancer's PuissanceYou don't have any fire fields for Persisting Flames to work, but PP allows me to maintain around 21-22 stacks of might on myself with no investment in boon duration gear (only the boost from the Arcane Minor).

In Arcane: Renewing Stamina, Final Shielding, Evasive ArcanaSince it's my go to solo build I need defensive traits, lots of Vigor from RS, extra arcane shield for FS and Evasive Arcana for some useful healing and other effects. Bountiful Power is worthless when you are solo because you don't get enough boons for it to matter and I never liked the DPS boost of Arcane Precision.

In Weaver: Superior Elements, Swift Revenge, Elements of RageWhen I need extra survival I take Master's Fortitude instead of SE and Invigorating Strikes instead of Elements of Rage.

I use Sigil of Force on my Sword and Sigil of Air on my Dagger.If I want to go full survival I replace my Dagger with another one that has Sigil of Energy. This allows me to get loads of Energy (just remember that double attuning doesn't give any, only when dual attuned you get energy)

Renewing Stamina + Evasive Arcana + Invigorating Strikes + (if needed Sigil of Energy) = lots of dodges and some barriers + lots of condi cleanse (dodge in Water)

I'm gonna suggest you pick stats that will let you have sustain. Open-World PvE is all about staying alive more than producing tons of damage, especially if you're going melee with a squishy profession like ele.

I personally either Dire. Condi Weaver is very underrated but is actually very powerful especially if you trait Fire, Earth and Weaver. Switch back and forth with Fire and Earth to stack Burn and Bleed. PvE enemies don't condi cleanse. Stoneheart will let you tank longer. Serrated Stone and Strength of Stone will trait well with high toughness.

IMO, there's only two options when you're making PVE sword weaver: Berserkers, and the wrong choice.

I run my sword weaver in berserker all the time now. Doesn't matter if it is in fractals, or doing bounties, or just generally in the overworld. She shreds enemies pretty fast, and you can always pop into Earth for a quick dodge. If I need more health (which is quite rare), I just take the trait in the weaver line that gives me additional health.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:IMO, there's only two options when you're making PVE sword weaver: Berserkers, and the wrong choice.

The only big problem with Sword Weaver is when you are fighting certain bosses that are extremely punishing for melee characters. Ele is the only profession that is completely locked out of long Range if they pick a close range weapon. (using conjure frost bow isn't a solution because it's terrible as ranged dps)

Hmmmm. I run Zerkers in my weaver with scholar runes or Marauders with Strength if I’m feeling like I’m taking too much damage.

I’m curious about hybrid stats. Has anyone tried a good build with sages or even celestial for sword weaver? I’m sure they have but how does it work? I know it’s not META but it must have advantages. You can tell ANet wanted weaver to be a hybrid by looking at the superior rune of the weaver with its bonus to all stars and condi duration.

Also what about cheap Condi Weaver gear? Vipers is best but if you wanted to play on the cheap would you pick carrion or dire stats?

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:

Fair enough, Ele is the only class I've used with Celestial so I can't compare it with others. Celestial did seem a lot more effective with Tempest than Weaver though, even from the point of view of doing damage.

Celestial is only good if you have tons of buffs to support it.Your dmg will be bad unless you can stack might, your healing will be bad unless you can stack multiple sources of regen/heals, your mitigation will be bad unless you can get decent time of protection. That is why cele d/d was good in pvp/wvw.

You can do well with celestial s/d weaver in pve if you trait for a good split of condi and power dps (fire/arcane/weaver) and play might-stacking similar to pvp.If you might stack properly, your burns will do plenty of dmg, and your fire-grab or churning earth can get some good hits over 10k, more than enough for open world pve.

@"MaxwellM.2075" said:

Also what about cheap Condi Weaver gear? Vipers is best but if you wanted to play on the cheap would you pick carrion or dire stats?I'm a really horrible Ele player, so take what I say with a HUGE grain of salt. As DragonSlayer.1087 state above, I also use Dire as my (only) condition set , and it works all right for someonelike I who doesn't feel comfortable with either Weaver setup, although I camp mostly in Fire as I love the flair of the sword fire skills. That is from a solo open world PvE point of view where "everything works".

Archived