Some changes to the forums....

Arioch.4810

Reading the forums in the last couple of days, gave me some ideas:

I love and enjoy this game. Therefore Anet's crew is great in my book.Contribution I see from players on game's official forum... is seldom enjoyable.I would change forums in a major way: Login via Facebook or LinkedIn account and game account combined. Accountability matters in exchange of opinions.That's one. Two: Creating a new topic is now timegated - you create a topic, but it's necessary to confirm publishing it on the forums at least 45 minutes after the time of creation.

Three: give a nice one-time bonus to current moderation team, at least high 4 digits...or some 401k contribution, vacation days, whatever. Holding the fort with current state of the forums has to be rewarded.

Login via Facebook or LinkedIn account and game account combined. Accountability matters in exchange of opinions.

I have 4 fake facebook accounts. How does that help with acocuntability?

Creating a new topic is now timegated

You mean censored?

give a nice one-time bonus to current moderation team, at least high 4 digits...or some 401k contribution, vacation days, whatever. Holding the fort with current state of the forums has to be rewarded

They get salaries. That's how adult people are "rewarded" for doing their job.

I don't understand where people get the idea that attaching your Facebook account to a site will stop people acting like idiots. People act like idiots on Facebook, even though it has their real name and all their profile information there for you to see.

Besides, one of the only reasons Anet will allow you to change your display name is if you used your real name or other information which can identify you (some people don't realise anyone else will be able to see it until after they've created the account). If they're willing to do that I think it's highly unlikely they're going to force everyone on their forum to use their real names.

I understand the desire for accountability, but I don't think it's nearly as simple as having your real name attached to your account. What's more important is having consequences for your actions, and that can happen regardless of the name you use.

@Arioch.4810 said:Reading the forums in the last couple of days, gave me some ideas:

I love and enjoy this game. Therefore Anet's crew is great in my book.Contribution I see from players on game's official forum... is seldom enjoyable.I would change forums in a major way: Login via Facebook or LinkedIn account and game account combined. Accountability matters in exchange of opinions.That's one. Two: Creating a new topic is now timegated - you create a topic, but it's necessary to confirm publishing it on the forums at least 45 minutes after the time of creation.

Three: give a nice one-time bonus to current moderation team, at least high 4 digits...or some 401k contribution, vacation days, whatever. Holding the fort with current state of the forums has to be rewarded.

1.) I have none of social media accounts listed so that idea is terrible, nor would i make one to continue to have a forum account.2.) having to confirm a thead would just be an irritation and would serve no purpose outside of aggravating people.

Both ideas would in turn just push more players to reddit which gets more attention anyways.

I doubt there's an easy fix for forums. People happy with the game may just post here when they cannot be playing, or not even then unless they are constantly thinking about the game.

On the other hand.... if someone is frustrated with the game, the forums is a perfect fit for expressing out that.

Perhaps if there was a subforum for complains, so that nobody has to ever look within to preserve their sanity?

Ps: Google+ removed their real name policies after figuring out that it wasn't preventing people from being jerks towards others, like, at all.

You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie, as wisdom and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

Jean-Luc Picard from Star Trek

What? I mean...what?! I tried to type a cogent argument against this and "WHAT?!" seems to be the only thing that fits? Linkedin? To complain to the bosses of people who you disagree with here? Facebook? To doxx people and/or stalk them? Like, sardine-ketchup ice cream would be a better idea than this. Having to use facebook to BUY that ice cream would STILL be a better idea.

@"Katherine Ismael.5249" said:You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie, as wisdom and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

Love that series, nice quote :)

I respect and understand your position, but my view on the matter is not identical:Freedom is a great thing, especially freedom of speech, but it should not be taken for granted nor should it be abused.Hurling hate speech under the pretext of personal opinion protected by free speech laws for instance: This is ofc extreme hyperbole, I'm not accusing anyone of hate speech. But some forms of actions are sanctioned for the general well being of society. Let me borrow a quote as well “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”

Being anonymous online is good thing - you get less ads in the mail for one thing - but some persons are prone to use that to troll, or sometimes - take up positions they would be ashamed of in real life. But sine there is no accountability when you use anonymity as a cloak...

“We are free to choose our actions, . . . but we are not free to choose the consequences of these actions.” -> i wish for this in online world as well as the real world.

Uhm…Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a requirement to be able to post on the forums that we have a paid GW2 account, and therefore Anet have identification data for us? So any accountability would already be handled...As for the rest, I can only agree with @"Handin.4032" : "What?"

@"Handin.4032" said:What? I mean...what?! I tried to type a cogent argument against this and "WHAT?!" seems to be the only thing that fits? Linkedin? To complain to the bosses of people who you disagree with here? Facebook? To doxx people and/or stalk them? Like, sardine-ketchup ice cream would be a better idea than this. Having to use facebook to BUY that ice cream would STILL be a better idea.

I'd actually try sardine-ketchup ice cream just for the heck of it. It could have potential if you add some kind of sweet chili flavoring or something. So the ice cream has one up on the OP's idea ;) Plus, the worst you can suffer is a little indigestion vs. possible doxxing and harassment IRL if some not-quite-right forum member or lurker gets rubbed the wrong way by something you've written.

So, no thanks. This idea is probably one of the worst I've seen proposed on these forums.

@Arioch.4810 said:

@"Katherine Ismael.5249" said:You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie, as wisdom and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

Love that series, nice quote :)

I respect and understand your position, but my view on the matter is not identical:Freedom is a great thing, especially freedom of speech, but it should not be taken for granted nor should it be abused.Hurling hate speech under the pretext of personal opinion protected by free speech laws for instance: This is ofc extreme hyperbole, I'm not accusing anyone of hate speech. But some forms of actions are sanctioned for the general well being of society. Let me borrow a quote as well “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”

Being anonymous online is good thing - you get less ads in the mail for one thing - but some persons are prone to use that to troll, or sometimes - take up positions they would be ashamed of in real life. But sine there is no accountability when you use anonymity as a cloak...

“We are free to choose our actions, . . . but we are not free to choose the consequences of these actions.” -> i wish for this in online world as well as the real world.

Op, you still haven't explained why I should have to give my personal information to either facebook or linkedin. I don't belong to either of them. Why would I be required to give another company my personal information when my business is with Anet?

Also, free speech and facebook don't go together.

Archived