Visual Noise / Skill Size Reduction

SakuraJD.4720

"In order to reduce visual noise, many effects displayed when players hit will no longer scale up on large targets."

I really REALLY desperately hope you change this back to the old way, or make it an option in graphics. because I for one LOVED seeing the skills scale up to the size of my enemy. and not even just my skills, other's too. those giant owls from Ranger Warhorn? the giant Skeleton Hands when using Necro Scepter? the Shark Bite when using the Legendary Spear? I adored that. It made sense that the skill would scale to the enemy, otherwise youre hitting the enemy with a tiny attack... thats like shooting tank with a slingshot.

Or am I mistaken in this interpretation?

@"SakuraJD.4720" said:"In order to reduce visual noise, many effects displayed when players hit will no longer scale up on large targets."

I really REALLY desperately hope you change this back to the old way, or make it an option in graphics. because I for one LOVED seeing the skills scale up to the size of my enemy. and not even just my skills, other's too. those giant owls from Ranger Warhorn? the giant Skeleton Hands when using Necro Scepter? the Shark Bite when using the Legendary Spear? I adored that. It made sense that the skill would scale to the enemy, otherwise youre hitting the enemy with a tiny attack... thats like shooting tank with a slingshot.

You are mistaken. Visual noise is the #1 greatest issue in all of GW2. It makes all aspects of gameplay harder - or sometimes impossible. This change has been asked for since Day 1 - I was there asking for it. I hope they can get around to implementing the rest of the industry-standard clutter reduction features (like cutomizable text and priority-based culling) that they have been ignoring for half a decade. This is a great and long needed change, and I hope it's not the last.

When to dodge? Who knows! Can't see.

When to interrupt? Who knows! Can't see.

Don't stand in the fire? What Fire! Can't see.

Do stand in the water field? What water field! Can't see.2RW4skQ.jpg

@Rhyse.8179 said:

@"SakuraJD.4720" said:"In order to reduce visual noise, many effects displayed when players hit will no longer scale up on large targets."

You are mistaken. Visual noise is the #1 greatest issue in all of GW2. It makes all aspects of gameplay harder - or sometimes impossible. This change has been asked for since Day 1 - I was there asking for it. I hope they can get around to implementing the rest of the industry-standard clutter reduction features (like cutomizable text and priority-based culling) that they have been ignoring for half a decade. This is a great and long needed change, and I hope it's not the last.

When to dodge? Who knows! Can't see.

When to interrupt? Who knows! Can't see.

Don't stand in the fire? What Fire! Can't see.

Do stand in the water field? What water field! Can't see.
2RW4skQ.jpg

It's like in the beginning, one dev read up on and went for elegant, clear design, both mechanically and aesthetically and understood the importance of clear signalling in game design.

Then the rest of the devs decided what the game really needed was SHINY BRIGHT THINGS YEAH!. They obviously missed the lecture. Too busy binging on Mario Kart and the devil's lettuce.

:s

Still, thank you that one dev. You tried.

I knew this was going to be a controversial change, since it is global with no option to disable it. I do believe it is good for the health of the game, as fun as gigantic ravens was. I will continue to monitor feedback- it is absolutely possible to change scaling rules on a per-effect basis. So, for example, instead of disabling scaling for an effect, we could elect to give it a range of scaling, say between 1 and 1.5x.

@Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:I knew this was going to be a controversial change, since it is global with no option to disable it. I do believe it is good for the health of the game, as fun as gigantic ravens was. I will continue to monitor feedback- it is absolutely possible to change scaling rules on a per-effect basis. So, for example, instead of disabling scaling for an effect, we could elect to give it a range of scaling, say between 1 and 1.5x.

It is for the health of the game and i at least personally appreciate it, the visuals of this game are great, but when they are so strong that they block out the red aoe circles or other skill cues theres problems, and personally at least believe more should be done, but thank you for this. :D

now if we could just get an option to turn off or tune down other graphical things(auras and such) it would be alot more helpful.

@Scud.5067 said:

It's like in the beginning, one dev read up on and went for elegant, clear design, both mechanically and aesthetically and understood the importance of clear signalling in game design.

Then the rest of the devs decided what the game really needed was SHINY BRIGHT THINGS YEAH!. They obviously missed the lecture. Too busy binging on Mario Kart and the devil's lettuce.

:s

Still, thank you that one dev. You tried.

To me it reads like they let the artists be in charge of the game's design. Sadly, that is NEVER the way to make a game. Visuals and gameplay are intertwined, and need to be considered as such. Currently, I run on the absolute minimum graphics settings because it increases the contrast between textures and effects so I can see what I'm doing better. It would be nice to have real customization options so I didn't have to use that brute force method. I really wish I could play the game and admire the art at the same time, but as long as they are in conflict, it's the art that's gotta go.

@"Benjamin Arnold.3457" said:I knew this was going to be a controversial change, since it is global with no option to disable it. I do believe it is good for the health of the game, as fun as gigantic ravens was. I will continue to monitor feedback- it is absolutely possible to change scaling rules on a per-effect basis. So, for example, instead of disabling scaling for an effect, we could elect to give it a range of scaling, say between 1 and 1.5x.

Please strongly consider providing the players an option to greatly increase the draw/zoom-out distance of the camera... There are way too many effects and things going on during combat that it becomes way too taxing on the eyes...

There are also issues with motion sickness from mounts, and a greater camera distance would help to alleviate some of this issue...

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/7195/mounts-and-motion-sickness

I’m not trying to be rude or directing anything at you, so please don’t take this negatively, but I feel it’s important for the team to be more mindful of the visual and physical health of players. Sometimes game sessions in GW2 turn into headache inducing and nauseating experiences, and I feel much of that can be prevented by tackling some reoccurring concerns that players have voiced.

Thanks!

Archived