Would you pay 500 gems every 2 months to link up with a server of your choice?

EremiteAngel.9765

I was wondering if anyone would pay 500 gems every 2 months to link up with a server of their choice.I ask because the reset relink bug seemed to have made many people/guilds transfer off affected servers even though it is only for 1 week.It made me think that maybe this transfer fee is a very appealing and reasonable option to join a server of your choice.I guess on some level it is good for those without or even with guild/server attachments to have that option to jump around linking up with servers of their choice (though it would be most costly to move an entire guild).

500 gems is about USD$6.25 or 160 gold.To some it could be a lot, reasonable, or it could be nothing.Do we even earn 160 gold if we WvW for 2 months? or will we have to PvE to get that amount?

how is this any different from the current transfer system playing wrecking ball on worlds?

I really do not understand why people have such a hard time grasping the fact that players cannot and should not be allowed to balance themselves. Because players are greedy kittens that only think about themselves. We need automated balancing between worlds with transfers as a side option that gets automatcally rebalanced the next round anyway.

I don't know about others but I move to find fights and that means fighting against stacked servers and not joining them.Wheres the fun if you're on a server that steamrolls the rest?I prefer to fight against the best than alongside the best.And from a roaming perspective, it is better to roam against a stacked server because then you find more fights.

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:I don't know about others but I move to find fights and that means fighting against stacked servers and not joining them.Wheres the fun if you're on a server that steamrolls the rest?I prefer to fight against the best than alongside the best.And from a roaming perspective, it is better to roam against a stacked server because then you find more fights.Well congratulations, you're the 1%. Most people do not transfer like that. Best case scenario is that they give it as an excuse to move but they are really just doing it because the server they are on is already being steamrolled and loosing matchups, so they move in order to win again. Thats understandable and hey if you got to go thats better than not playing or entire guilds dropping from the game, but it doesnt lead to balance and as such just changing the system for the sake of changing it and accomplish nothing is pointless.

At one point in time ArenaNet could have used it as a way to monetize the game.

Eg., have a true guild-centric leaderboard system derived from Guild-content as a foundation for server spread, keep full control of the resets to the developers past that and then have WvW-seasons of 3-6 months (two would have been a tad short side way back when) which cost a nominal fee in gems akin to this suggestion or to locking up missed LS episodes. That sort of seasonal play and pay with resets has sort of been forgotten over the eras of monthly subscriptions, freemium and lootboxes.

However, that train has kind of left the station with the overall treatment of the WvW-playerbase over the years with the unfair milking that has been going on. Had they not done that they could easily have monetized LS as well instead of just back-monetizing it. It would be harder to argue for the game actually being "free to play" on such a system but it is easily overcome and could also to large parts have been funded through gold-to-gem transfers as well.

Then again it would have required them to give a hoot about WvW and past tense being key.

@Dawdler.8521 said:how is this any different from the current transfer system playing wrecking ball on worlds?

I really do not understand why people have such a hard time grasping the fact that players cannot and should not be allowed to balance themselves. Because players are greedy kittens that only think about themselves. We need automated balancing between worlds with transfers as a side option that gets automatically rebalanced the next round anyway.

Players should be allowed to balance themselves, but movements between worlds need to be difficult. Need to make these greedy kittens think hard about their costly decision to consistently move to the more profitable world to the point where it's not really worthwhile to transfer for the sole prospect of higher reward for a few weeks.

Forced balancing destroys all competitive purpose, that is assuming servers could be properly forcibly balanced in the first place by predicting future activities with past data...

i transfer more or less frequently, but not really timed with linkings. the cost is pretty low if you transfer on 500 gem servers for someone playing alot.for me personally it does make more sense to transfer mid season when your stuck with the same opponent over and over, to get some others for a few weeks.

i think server selection is much easier as a roamer, where mostly your opponents matter for you experience as no server is really playing to win the match. for someone joining PUG zergs alot however, i would understand that they do not want to be on a server that gets one pushed 24/7-

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:I was wondering if anyone would pay 500 gems every 2 months to link up with a server of their choice.I ask because the reset relink bug seemed to have made many people/guilds transfer off affected servers even though it is only for 1 week.It made me think that maybe this transfer fee is a very appealing and reasonable option to join a server of your choice.I guess on some level it is good for those without or even with guild/server attachments to have that option to jump around linking up with servers of their choice (though it would be most costly to move an entire guild).

500 gems is about USD$6.25 or 160 gold.To some it could be a lot, reasonable, or it could be nothing.Do we even earn 160 gold if we WvW for 2 months? or will we have to PvE to get that amount?

Where's the option for 'no, I never transfer?'.

Bandwagonning guilds are what have caused most of the issues (which then drag in the rest of the population).

About time they got moving with the alliance idea..although it won't be long before someone works out how to game that as a guild too.

I wouldn't waste 1 copper on this nonsense, especially not in this state. This is like changing rooms on the Titanic

Why would I reward them for making the game mode like this? This recent bug is but in a long line of failures and of course doing it just before the holidays when everyone could be enjoying the game and nobody could fix what's up is just frustrating. If this was just once in a while, sure, mistakes happen, but let's be honest. They screw up more often than they don't, and gives 0 confidence to whatever rework that will happen. But I don't want to ruin anyone's dream, so.... leave it at that.

• 2 weeks later...

@Grim West.3194 said:I will never pay for a transfer. That is rewarding ANET for not doing their jobs. F that.

Agreed. People wonder why the game mode balance is crap? This is why. They profit too much off the bandwagoners, which is why Alliances are taking so long, they have to figure out how to turn a profit on that system (prob gonna be Gems to change guild alliances).

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:

@Grim West.3194 said:I will never pay for a transfer. That is rewarding ANET for not doing their jobs. F that.

Agreed. People wonder why the game mode balance is kitten? This is why. They profit too much off the bandwagoners, which is why Alliances are taking so long, they have to figure out how to turn a profit on that system (prob gonna be Gems to change guild alliances).

Ditto

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:>Agreed. People wonder why the game mode balance is kitten? This is why. They profit too much off the bandwagoners, which is why Alliances are taking so long, they have to figure out how to turn a profit on that system (prob gonna be Gems to change guild alliances).

They will still offer transfers to the servers that are created after the worldvworld restructuring. The more populated a realm is the higher the transfer fee will be to get there. They will have more power over when to cut off transfers to a full server because they're created each time and they will have a max number they allow into the realm. They are trying to figure out a way to keep wvw an interesting game mode if for nothing else than to continue to get this revenue for transfer fees. People either buy gems with cash or they take gold out of the economy to convert. Both situations generate income for Anet.

Archived