Gw1 had the market right !

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you would rather have people blob around all day in Istan? It’s worse then spamadan . At least you had productive trade chats unlike zombies killing over and over and flooding the markets> @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Oh, please. No, do not remove the Trading Post, ArenaNet. I would never what to have to experience Spamadan, again.

@sereniity seven.5603 said:I think the auction house ruined the game . Anet should tear down the auction house and use the old gw1 trade method of npc and player to player trades . Or if anything update the materials in the items . Give players a reason to farm old and newer zones . It’s 2019 come on now you can do it !

Why? In what way did the TP ruin the game and what would the improvement be if they got rid of it?

I play both games and I can't say I've ever missed GW1's trade system. I have a bank tab full of stuff I could sell in GW1 but I don't because the idea of spending my time standing in Kamadan spamming chat and hoping a buyer happens to be online at the same time and happens to see my advert and decide it's the one they want is really not appealing. It's so much nicer to be able to list it and then get on with actually playing the game instead of waiting for it to sell.

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@"Loosmaster.8263" said:My only issue is the rate of the listing fee. I have some items that goes for almost 30g to list, so it just sits in my bank.

That's to discourage people from keeping relisting itens everytime they get undercut... Principally TP bots.If you really wanted to sell your 300g item, you would just list it and forget it exist.

Then it should be a "relisting" penalty. Goes up each time you list the same item or a penalty for unlisting it, lol.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

@Loosmaster.8263 said:My only issue is the rate of the listing fee. I have some items that goes for almost 30g to list, so it just sits in my bank.

That's to discourage people from keeping relisting itens everytime they get undercut... Principally TP bots.If you really wanted to sell your 300g item, you would just list it and forget it exist.

Then it should be a "relisting" penalty. Goes up each time you list the same item or a penalty for unlisting it, lol.

Well, it isn't just a listing fee. Combined with the 5% sales tax, it's part of the biggest gold sink GW2 has. Without it the game would have hyperinflation and sooner or later everyone would use Globs of Ectoplasm as currency.

Another option would be to change the 10% listing fee into a 10% unlisting fee and raising the sales tax from 5% to 15%. The amount of gold that gets removed from the game would stay the same, but you wouldn't need to pay the 10% upfront anymore. This could help people who don't have the cash to pay the listing fee.

@sereniity seven.5603 said:So you would rather have people blob around all day in Istan? It’s worse then spamadan . At least you had productive trade chats unlike zombies killing over and over and flooding the markets>

You realize that the way loot and the open world works (versus the instanced system in GW1) has way more to do with the issues you are bringing up instead of the TP right?

Trade chat spam is a cancer of the past, thankfully. It was not productive, it was a necessary evil and only of use to hardcore traders. That is not even getting into how inefficient it is with a player base as big as in GW2 with an open world.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

@Loosmaster.8263 said:My only issue is the rate of the listing fee. I have some items that goes for almost 30g to list, so it just sits in my bank.

You don't get back your 5% listing fee. That is the penalty.

@"sereniity seven.5603" said:I think the auction house ruined the game .You might want to explain why you think it's bad for the game.

Anet should tear down the auction house and use the old gw1 trade method of npc and player to player trades . Or if anything update the materials in the items . Give players a reason to farm old and newer zones . It’s 2019 come on now you can do it !

There are already reasons to farm, both old and new zones.

GW2 has the market absolutely right, because everyone in the game participates in the same market. In GW1, there was no way to know what "market rate" was unless you parked a toon in Spamadan and read the relevant GW2 Guru threads (in the game's heyday, you also had to park in GToB, LA, and Cantha). All of the issues that people love to complain about in GW2 were worse: flipping was trivial and happened regularly. It was easy to deceive people on price, even for commonly traded commodities. (And that's even without considering outright scams.)

GW1 had a more social marketplace and I do miss that. (Although bartering does take place in r/gw2exchange and its associate Discord community.)> @Jeknar.6184 said:

30g listing fee means selling the item for 600g (not 300g). And it's there for several reasons:

• As a disincentive to raise prices: if there's no penalty, then sellers can (and will) try the highest possible prices first. That affects the least-traded items the most, the ones with the least chance of being undercut (even with competition, prices would remain high, depending on how savvy the sellers were).
  • To prevent people from using the TP as alternative storage. With no fee, you'd list overstock at a super high price and let it sit, canceling the order if/when you needed the items.
  • As a gold sink, which is critical at keeping prices manageable, especially for newer players.

The exchange fee is the primary gold sink in the game. In GW1, flipping did nothing for the economy, except transfer wealth from the less market-savvy (or less patient) player to the patient ones. In GW2, it helps sink enormous amounts of gold from the economy. (There might be reasons to dislike or distrust the practice; just don't ignore the benefits it has.)

This is a weird one for me.

Trading post is just so convenient that I wouldn't ever give it up..

On the other hand OP is absolutely right, all the QoL tools in GW2 did kill most of the community aspect of the game. You can sit in a full LA district and nobody will say a thing in chat for half and hour.. GW2 is rather antisocial for an MMO.

@sereniity seven.5603 said:So you would rather have people blob around all day in Istan? It’s worse then spamadan . At least you had productive trade chats unlike zombies killing over and over and flooding the markets> @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Oh, please. No, do not remove the Trading Post, ArenaNet. I would never what to have to experience Spamadan, again.

What does that have to do with the TP? I think you have assumed incorrectly that people who farm Istan are 'flooding' the markets with all their stuff.

I really hope the OP is just a troll post. Not only would that not even contribute to solving the problem hinted at, it would create a host of new problems of which the revival of Spamadan, probably most strongly felt in DR, LA and any zone new enough would only be the most immediately visible one.Or in short: no.

@Hashberry.4510 said:This is nuts.

It's really not. Necessity promotes bonds and social interactions. I made a lot of friends in GW1 because they were regular sellers or buyers of stuff I was interested in, so keeping touch was beneficial for both of us and gave a reason to talk on a regular basis. How many friends have you made on the Trading Post?

Same reason why a lot of WoW players think the community died after the dungeon finder was added - no longer did you need to find a group, they put you in one at the press of a button and then everyone went their own way after the run was done. People no longer talked in dungeons and no longer felt the need to keep in touch with previous teammates because finding new ones was so easy.

The more QoL an MMO has, the more it loses its community aspect. GW2 has the most QoL = least social MMO.

@"witcher.3197" said:This is a weird one for me.

On the other hand OP is absolutely right, all the QoL tools in GW2 did kill most of the community aspect of the game. You can sit in a full LA district and nobody will say a thing in chat for half and hour.. GW2 is rather antisocial for an MMO.

What if I were to tell you I honestly never felt the community aspect in GW1, and that GW2 has allowed me to be more social than GW1 ever did?

Let me go back to my first encounter with this franchiase: The first GW1 game I bought was Nightfall, and not long afterwards Eye of the North was released. Had I bought the games when they were released I might've been more social in-game, however when I started playing Nightfall and all the other expansions I was more interested in this new world and lore than the community, so I never joined a guild. I wasn't a sociable player.

What was in fact worse was that large amount of the content in GW1 is something you can basically do yourself. And so I never needed other players as pillars of support when I played, other than someone who could run the Great Destroyer or other missions on Hard difficulty.

The only times I got to be social and interact with other player was when I wrote "wts, wtb, selling, wtt" and so on... Not very sociable, if you ask me.Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love GW1 and played it constantly! I adored the world of Tyria, and I'm annoyed by the fact I basically just need the obsidian armor to get God Walking Among Mere Mortals >.<

I believe its because of the QoL Anet has added that I feel this game has made me more sociable. I've joined multiple guilds, and now I look back and ask myself why I never joined a guild back in GW1.

I do agree that sometimes LA can feel a bit silent at times. On the other hand, its not all the time I really want to talk to players. Perhaps I'm watching a Youtube video about pandas being extremely cute, or maybe I'm just looking through the different outfits and dyes trying to decide if I should fashion my alt differently or keep what I'm currently wearing.

GW2 allows me, personally, to be free from only seeing or typing "wts, wtb, ..." and instead explore Tyria, craft new weapons or armor, gather loot and achievement. And there is often a player or two nearby. Do we talk beside "ty" and replying "yw" after rezzing each other? Not necessarily, but the fact they're there playing besides me or just crossing my path gives me a greater feeling of GW2 presenting far more opportunities to strike up a conversation then GW1 ever did.

This is just from my perspective, so take it with a grain of salt. Should Anet remove TP in favor of player trading system similar or identical to the one we saw in GW1? Personally, would never suggest the idea. That said if Anet decide to update or alter it because its something they've wanted to do: by all means, feel free to update it. Anything can be improved.

I miss player to player trading. It was a fun social aspect of gw1 where I met a number of friends. I also would sell below market value to players who seemed nice and appreciative. I felt that they were more likely to value an item if they paid for it, even at a fraction of market value. Not really much of an option in gw2 so I restrict myself to gifting guildies and RL friends. Too bad, IMO.

The way gw2's economy works, I think OP has a point. Because in this game, you dont farm directly for stuff, you farm for gold to buy whatever stuff you need from the TP. So you dont need to farm around the world in different places, you farm the most profitable ones.I wouldnt blame the TP, its more about how its set up to make buying gems more attractive so Anet can make more money.

@witcher.3197 said:

@Hashberry.4510 said:This is nuts.

It's really not. Necessity promotes bonds and social interactions. I made a lot of friends in GW1 because they were regular sellers or buyers of stuff I was interested in, so keeping touch was beneficial for both of us and gave a reason to talk on a regular basis. How many friends have you made on the Trading Post?The OP didn't bring that up at all. They brought up economic reasons to bring back P2P trading, which turn out to be misinformed at best.

As I wrote above, I do miss the social aspects of bartering, but those are restricted to the small fraction of the community that actually likes thinking about how to get good deals. It's not enough of a reason to bring back GW1's marketplace, even ignoring the economics & player protections.

Same reason why a lot of WoW players think the community died after the dungeon finder was added - no longer did you need to find a group, they put you in one at the press of a button and then everyone went their own way after the run was done. People no longer talked in dungeons and no longer felt the need to keep in touch with previous teammates because finding new ones was so easy.I'm not familiar enough with WoW's dungeon community to have an opinion about the impact of the dungeon finder. But surely, there are other ways to meet people, just as there on in GW2.

The more QoL an MMO has, the more it loses its community aspect. GW2 has the most QoL = least social MMO.I don't think you'll find widespread agreement in any aspect of that. Not everyone agrees that GW2 has the best QoL, not everyone agrees it's the least social MMO. And even for those who might agree, it's not at all clear that there's a causal link between the two.

All of my close GW1 friends were made via GW1's marketplace (directly or indirectly, via friends of those people). In GW2, I had to find other ways to meet folks, which has included PUGging open world or instanced parts of the game, chatting in /map or /say, offering help, and (unexpectedly for me) via posting in the forums.

I do miss bartering, but it wasn't some magical or mysterious tool that can't be replaced through other means.

@"witcher.3197" said:This is a weird one for me.

Isn't that what guilds are for? Shouldn't guilds be the social linchpin to GW2? Rather guilds be that than something like Spamadan (which I never found all that "social" to begin with). Is it because the map chat in GW2 is devoid of buy/sell that the game appears antisocial to some?

Personally, I never found the player-to-player trading in GW1 to be all that social to begin with.

Archived