Global Unidentified Gear Incoming, March 26th! — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Global Unidentified Gear Incoming, March 26th!

Greetings, Tyrians!

We’ve been working on a few major changes to loot drops at level 80 which will provide both quality of life improvements and help with the long-term health of the economy. These will go into effect on March 26.

• Core Tyria and the Heart of Maguuma regions will now drop Unidentified Gear rather than individual fine, masterwork, and rare items.

• Magic find will no longer affect the results of identifying Unidentified Gear.

• Unidentified Gear reward tables are being changed to account for their availability across Tyria, including:

o Setting the frequency of rare item drops in the Crystal Desert region to the same frequency as rare items from the rest of Tyria
o Removal of Eyes of Kormir, Congealed Putrescence, and Pulsing Brandsparks from salvaging Unidentified Gear—they’ll now drop from the Crystal Desert region loot tables
o Addition of fine and masterwork Reclaimed Weapons from the Heart of Maguuma region to Unidentified Gear loot tables

This means Unidentified Gear has the same value to everyone once it has dropped, regardless of your current magic find.

If you’ve been playing in areas that dropped Unidentified Gear, and you were identifying those items, your overall chances to receive exotic gear and legendary precursors will decrease. If you’ve been playing in core Tyria or Heart of Thorns maps, your chances for exotic and precursor drops will increase if you choose to identify the Unidentified Gear you find. This equalizes your chances of getting those drops across any part of Tyria you like to play in.

To summarize the changes:

Before the 3/26 change
• Unidentified Gear drops are influenced by magic find twice—once when received as a drop and once when identified.
• Fine, masterwork, and rare equipment drops are influenced by magic find once, when received as a drop.

After the 3/26 change
• Unidentifed Gear drops are influenced by Magic Find once, when received as a drop. Exotic equipment still has the same chance it currently does to drop directly in addition to the rare chance to obtain it from identifying gear.

Overall, you’ll get the same amount of loot and won’t have to play inventory wars as much.

We look forward to getting these changes out to you soon!
We’ll localize this information as soon as possible for our global community.

Tagged:
<134567

Comments

• sarkysek.1085sarkysek.1085 Member ✭✭✭

Wow, awesome change ArenaNet! Ty <3

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2019

The Gearpocalypse is coming, no more benefices for selling unind gears, convert and stock your gems!.... (lol)
    At least it free some inventory slots...
    so it's a real revolution, got enough of salvaging one per one all my dropped equipment.

+++In creative mood. New Engie Elite spec' , Housing , New asuran expansion , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    +++NEW: AEP Asuran Expansion Project available on WIKI.

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:
    Maybe its me, but i find unid gear more cumbersome as a system. You end up with a big stack, which you cant open if you havent the space and then you have to clear down and salvage and repeat. Fair play if ppl prefer it, but id rather just salvage as go along.

This is only an issue if the salvage you get from un'id gear isn't the same as id'd gear. For example, under the old system if you salvaged un'id gear you got tons of Eyes of Kormir. Sounds like that has changed though, so if I salvage a piece of un'id gear I should get the same materials (mithril/silk/etc) as I would if I had identified it first. So long as I can just right click on my Copper Salvage kit and salvage everything in 1 click, I'm happy :D

• otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

I guess it is less junk to deal with.

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:
    o Setting the frequency of rare item drops in the Crystal Desert region to the same frequency as rare items from the rest of Tyria
    o Removal of Eyes of Kormir, Congealed Putrescence, and Pulsing Brandsparks from salvaging Unidentified Gear—they’ll now drop from the Crystal Desert region loot tables

Pulsing Brandsparks drops from unid gear? O_o

To summarize the changes:

Before the 3/26 change
    • Unidentified Gear drops are influenced by magic find twice—once when received as a drop and once when identified.
    • Fine, masterwork, and rare equipment drops are influenced by magic find once, when received as a drop.

That double dipping is mostly theoretical isn't it? Most come from either chests/containers/map bonus systems that are unaffected by MF.

After the 3/26 change
    • Unidentifed Gear drops are influenced by Magic Find once, when received as a drop. Exotic equipment still has the same chance it currently does to drop directly in addition to the rare chance to obtain it from identifying gear.

Overall, you’ll get the same amount of loot and won’t have to play inventory wars as much.

but it still helps a bit to open on a medium armor class ...

We look forward to getting these changes out to you soon!
    We’ll localize this information as soon as possible for our global community.

• Dethl.2875Dethl.2875 Member ✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:
    Maybe its me, but i find unid gear more cumbersome as a system. You end up with a big stack, which you cant open if you havent the space and then you have to clear down and salvage and repeat. Fair play if ppl prefer it, but id rather just salvage as go along.

This is only an issue if the salvage you get from un'id gear isn't the same as id'd gear. For example, under the old system if you salvaged un'id gear you got tons of Eyes of Kormir. Sounds like that has changed though, so if I salvage a piece of un'id gear I should get the same materials (mithril/silk/etc) as I would if I had identified it first. So long as I can just right click on my Copper Salvage kit and salvage everything in 1 click, I'm happy :D

the problem being you want to open them for rares/exotics, and then salvage the green's/blues
    salvaging straight from unid leaves you losing the chance for good sigils/runes/ecto/pres, especially after this change, if you never open the unid's before salvaging, you're chance of seeing a precursor drop goes from basically zero to actually zero

edit: take pre's off that list, didn't see that exos are still dropped

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

Yeah i get that, but if i want an exotic chance im having to open everything. Since the only way to get to an exotic is to identify everything, it gets a bit more cumbersome

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Taelac.7036Taelac.7036 Member ✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads up. Will the availability of charms/symbols be monitored and/or has it been taken into account with respect to this change?

Good luck, have fun.

@xiiliea.9356 said:
    Uggggghhhhh, now I have to remember to separate them from my inventory before using Salvage All everywhere in Tyria. I hope you're at least fixing Salvage All to not salvage unidentified gears first.

invisible bag prevents it, which sucks but hey it works

• MithranArkanere.8957MithranArkanere.8957 Member ✭✭✭✭

What about all these innumerable Loot Boxes and Caches obtained in HoT maps that are like the ones obtained from PvP tracks?

Will the common gear within them be unidentified gear now?
    Are there any plans to replace them with direct drops?

@Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 said:
    This may be a stupid question, but--what is the use of Magic Find after the change? It seems to me its only really useful purpose was the hope of getting better gear drops. I know it also gives you a chance of a higher tier of salvaged materials, but honestly, who cares about that? It's the lower tier materials that are hard to get when you're ranked up, and people specifically save characters at level 54 to open bags and get lower-tier materials.

Is magic find useful for anything else?

to my knowledge the only thing that affects salvage quality is purely the kit type

otherwise mf is still semi-useful (as much as mf is anyway) as an account/farm thing, since it sounds like the quality of an unid will be determined at drop rather than at open - so you have to be running the mf while it drops.

• Cragga the Eighty Third.6015Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019

@Dethl.2875 said:

This may be a stupid question, but--what is the use of Magic Find after the change? It seems to me its only really useful purpose was the hope of getting better gear drops. I know it also gives you a chance of a higher tier of salvaged materials, but honestly, who cares about that? It's the lower tier materials that are hard to get when you're ranked up, and people specifically save characters at level 54 to open bags and get lower-tier materials.

to my knowledge the only thing that affects salvage quality is purely the kit type

otherwise mf is still semi-useful (as much as mf is anyway) as an account/farm thing, since it sounds like the quality of an unid will be determined at drop rather than at open - so you have to be running the mf while it drops.

Okay, thanks--yeah, on second reading, I saw I missed this:

After the 3/26 change

It will be nice to do a HoT meta without having to stop and empty the bags during looting.

• Naxos.2503Naxos.2503 Member ✭✭✭

Looking forward to see it implemented, I like the trend you're setting currently, very good sign Indeed !

• Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to have to repeat the sentiment of reverting the nerf of Elonian weapons salvage to Ectoplasm rate to be equal to other rare items now.

I'm looking forward to this change though.

The above was written as part of an attempt to waste time.

• Neural.1824Neural.1824 Member ✭✭✭✭

The biggest difference I've noticed between two accounts (one with 300%, and one with around 125%), is that the account with 300% is never lacking black lion chests, while if I get a key on the 2nd account, I am usually also needing to buy or hope one drops.

Soul-binding needs to be allowed to die gracefully. It has expired. It is long past it's time to become a footnote in the history of gaming.

• I think I need some help understanding this. Will magic find increase the chance of getting a direct exotic drop? If so, and since there's no such thing as unidentified exotic armor, it seems there will be no way to increase the chance to get exotics. What then is the purpose of magic find?

• Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dethl.2875 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

Yeah i get that, but if i want an exotic chance im having to open everything. Since the only way to get to an exotic is to identify everything, it gets a bit more cumbersome

No. This is not right.

Exotic equipment still has the same chance it currently does to drop directly in addition to the rare chance to obtain it from identifying gear.

When you get a loot drop if it is an exotic you'll get that exotic directly into your bag.
    If it is a lesser rarity then you'll get the unidentified gear of that rarity.
    On top of that if you identify the non-exotic gear there's ANOTHER chance for it to become an exotic.
    Hope that clarifies it.

Wait, so if you're hunting for exotics from unid's, you DO need to open everything? I'm not sure how that makes Randulf "not right".

Well you can't get Exotic items from UnID'd gear without opening it...

The above was written as part of an attempt to waste time.

• Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

No. This is not right.

Exotic equipment still has the same chance it currently does to drop directly in addition to the rare chance to obtain it from identifying gear.

When you get a loot drop if it is an exotic you'll get that exotic directly into your bag.
    On top of that if you identify the non-exotic gear there's ANOTHER chance for it to become an exotic.
    Hope that clarifies it.

Ok, but i still have to open them for that extra chance. So the same applies

You know how Black Lion chests have the hidden fourth slot for rare drops? It's like that.

If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019

Removing for duplication

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:

It also absolutely will need the filter to keep unids from salvage all

A lot less cumbersome than the bags that HoT and S2 maps give all the time. Hopefully this means we'll just have 3 unidentified gear stacks rather than 5+ types of loot bags after HoT metas to sort through.

• any chance of some new basic skins?????

• Silver.2076Silver.2076 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019

does this also affect the WvW? If I understand that correctly, you only get unidentified and exotic items in your backpack after 26/3? kitten, that's good! I always hated to search for them before! I just crushed everything in the backpack!

• Skotlex.7580Skotlex.7580 Member ✭✭✭

@Lunia.2736 said:
    Can we please please please please please exclude Unidentified Bags from the salvage all feature?

Currently the way around is to use invisible slots, or shared inventory slots, those don't get salvaged with salvage all. Though, it's really more of a workaround that I am willing to endure to open everything before salvaging.

• Vova.2640Vova.2640 Member ✭✭✭

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@cmpgamer.9628 said:
    How will this work for WvW when items drop? I am under the impression that WvW maps are considered Core Tyria maps and thus use the same drop tables.

It'll work as Irenio describes in WvW as well!

Damnit I literally bought 8 inventory bags slots a few days ago for my active wvw chars to avoid bag overflow lol...

• Jethro.9376Jethro.9376 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019

So i get double chance for exotics (directly from drops and from identifying)? Feels like exotic prizes are going down a fair bit then. :/
    Also there would be no reason not to identify.

• @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@Vova.2640 said:

@cmpgamer.9628 said:
    How will this work for WvW when items drop? I am under the impression that WvW maps are considered Core Tyria maps and thus use the same drop tables.

Damnit I literally bought 8 inventory bags slots a few days ago for my active wvw chars to avoid bag overflow lol...

Thank you :)

You're welcome because you also got 6 bag slots from me too. Now I can fill my inventory with all of the siege I need in WvW and not worry about gear cluttering it up.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019

So what about loot containers? Those are unidentified gear as well, or will they spit it out?

And to the others:

Personally I use a 20 slot invisible bag where I store other weapon sets and consumables in. I also always have 1 of each unidentified gear type in there. If I identify or salvage them I simply unstack the rest or press Exc the moment it gets close to 1 again. Not difficult and you will get used to it in no time, while not having to worry about doing it when you don't want to!

Edit:

Also knowing how much work that meant, cool beans. You mad lads actually did it! When it was suggested at the launch we were told it was extremely unlikely :)

Smugly chuckling forever.
    My sentence doesn't make sense? Well, I probably forgot to write half of it before posting.

• Etterwyn.5263Etterwyn.5263 Member ✭✭✭

@cmpgamer.9628 said:

Sweet! Less time in spawn playing Inventory Wars 2! =)

WvW™ - where you find more Red Rings of Death than an Xbox repair facility.

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

No. This is not right.

Hope that clarifies it.

Ok, but i still have to open them for that extra chance. So my point applies

TBH, only rare unid will have a worthwhile chance at exotics. And the number of those drops will remain low, no doubt.

• apologies if any of these questions are repeats.

1. Will the different unID gears stack with each other (eg. PoF unIDs with HoT unIDs) or is everything a unified loot table, eg. id a unID from HoT and get a PoF weapon, etc?
    2. Does this affect other sources of loot, such as gearbags? Will gearbags (eg. silverwastes, raids) still drop level-appropriate gear?
    3. Is this a lv80 change only? If i run around Tyria on a lv40 char, will the loot system change?
  • Can we have Olmakhan Bandolier block salvaging then please?

I hate Unids because they filter into that bag and salvage all rips them up. They are more trouble for me than just normal loot.

• Nebilim.5127Nebilim.5127 Member ✭✭✭

What about the green bags that open into equipment? I would love for those to be replaced too for just 3~4 unidentified too. They are a huge source of bag issues in hot

• @Vyrulisse.1246 said:
    Can we please get an option at least to keep it from Salvage All?

Just drop them in an invisible backpack

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.