Would You Be Interested In Prestige Ranks?

TheGrimm.5624

I know a lot of people aren't level 10K, but if you were would you be interested in being able to Prestige and re-rank up? By Prestige meaning your Prestige rank would go up by 1 but your WvW rank would go back to 0 and your WvW abilities would be reset. Prestige ranks would grant you titles, maybe different borders around your name and some account boosts, example +1 pip +1% MF per Prestige. Key is to always have more goals to work towards. Reading people posts made me think we have more 10K players than I think we did and before pips we had no reason to try and reach it outside of titles, but what do we do once there?

Edit: Add Prestige definition for those not having played games w/ similar systems.

The risks outweigh the rewards (as with many suggestions on this forum lately).

• The rank-system is inherently malbalanced and by quite a large margin based on class and preferred type of subcontent in the mode

• There was a reason they moved away from further worthwhile rewards within it towards the time-based track- and pip systems

• For a casual system, simple time spent is the most fair grind-based reward

• If you want more of a performance-based reward system then KDR statistics are the best until population balance is fixed (note: not just alliances)

• Such a system can run multiple statistics (server, alliance, guild, player etc.) or could be aggregates between KDR and totals

• Once population balance is fixed (if ever) you can factor in captures, total score scenarios and use the ladder again and use that instead

• If you have a sandbox open world PvP mode the best way to determine prestige is still obviously GvG

• Especially if you already have a community that is working to run and promote it (despite your best efforts to destroy it for them)

• If you want an example of a 16-year tradition of community and developer cooperation with a smooth 64-team tournament - look at this!

The community runs the prelims on budget/community systems and the developer runs the later stages live with studio and flown-in casters

Community

Developer

This is obviously THE way to do something useful for WvW and something that can showcase the awesome combat systems of GW2 for MMO purposes as well as creating overlap between the sPvP and WvW communities (and using things like swiss or TDM maps for it). The only reason we don't have anything close to it is because ArenaNet have been actively working against it.

It's not like it's not atttempted in GW2 in both NA

and EU

It's just that it isn't even unsupported it has been worked against by ArenaNet by commenting negatively on it, refusing requests for community-support system rewards that have been granted to other modes or by splitting balance in ways that actively ruined the GH arena (not just how unsupported and buggy it was left unattended since inception). The GH arena was never perfect with all it's bugs but what eventually drove the GvG scene out of it was that it has PvE physics and PvE conditions were left in complete shambles for competetive play leading up to PoF.

So at it's core, it is the same kind of attempt at events, it is just that one company actively supports their community (through both small and big means) and another company actively tries to discourage it, even though both games/modes are open world PvP sandboxes. Furthermore, what's interesting in the spaceship version is that it is not just an event for the very best that captures a very-best competetive audience. With a 64-team tournament a large subset and slice of the community participates and almost everyone knows someone who plays, so the event usually spikes interest in all corners of the game and not just among PvP'ers. There are plenty of new, unrenowned or underdog teams every year. Not too unlike how the GW2 tournaments are with at least some new guild surprising each time a tournament is held. That is also part of the charm with tournaments, that anyone can practise and fly under the radar until it's time to compete - slay dragons - and impress from the position they are at, at the time.

@Sviel.7493 said:I would never be able to make use of this system as the activities I do while playing simply don't award much wxp. As long as that discrepancy exists, this would further incentivize blobbing everything down and k-training to maximize wxp gain.

I understand that, havoc and roam so still have 7K more ranks to go myself, but like long range targets.

@subversiontwo.7501 said:The risks outweigh the rewards (as with many suggestions on this forum lately).

• The rank-system is inherently malbalanced and by quite a large margin based on class and preferred type of subcontent in the mode

• There was a reason they moved away from further worthwhile rewards within it towards the time-based track- and pip systems

• For a casual system, simple time spent is the most fair grind-based reward

• If you want more of a performance-based reward system then KDR statistics are the best until population balance is fixed (note: not just alliances)

• Such a system can run multiple statistics (server, alliance, guild, player etc.) or could be aggregates between KDR and totals

• Once population balance is fixed (if ever) you can factor in captures, total score scenarios and use the ladder again and use that instead

• If you have a sandbox open world PvP mode the best way to determine prestige is still obviously GvG

• Especially if you already have a community that is working to run and promote it (despite your best efforts to destroy it for them)

• If you want an example of a 16-year tradition of community and developer cooperation with a smooth 64-team tournament - look at this!

none of these are relevant except for maybe the first one, altho there are builds for every class regardless of qq.

Only after game/profession balance... there are far more important things to cover first.

Idk I see quite a lot of diamond leggies + ultimate doms even in pve unless it's just me seeing the same players on diff chars.

Now, I'm not supposed to give my opinion but...

Remember when ANet introduced legendary armor for wvw aka rank 2k to unlock chest piece? That unleashed an immeasurable can of babyrage. When you tie rewards/goals to long term stuff aka for veterans it enrages the mass of snowflakes... they should just do it for the lulz.

I would rather them raise the wvw rank cap, but every 100 ranks above 10k awards 10 ap. So that means 10k ranks above 10k would be 1k ap. While it might seem like a small amount. The rank cap would be removed entirely, along with the ap cap limit on what you could get. You could get to rank 50,000.. and have 4k ap worth. (first 10k doesn't count towards it).

@"Straegen.2938" said:The number of players at 10k is absurdly low. The number at 10k that still play is ridiculously low. 8.5k gets you in the top 0.5% on GW2 Efficiency.

There are more Diamond ranks in EU than NA, but between the two max ranks are still rare, most servers seem to only have between 5 and 10. I know from back when I was on EU that Riverside had an abnormally high amount, I even recall seeing something like 10 - 15 in one place. On NA however, I very, very rarely see more than one at a time.

It's hard to ballpark it strictly based on play time and transfers because I obviously don't have hard data, but I'd be willing to bet there are maaaybee 200 - 300 players at rank 10k in the entire game. How many still play, I couldn't tell you. Unfortunately, GW2Efficiency doesn't allow you to see beyond the top 25 players.

So yes for sure, it is very rare. I therefore don't think a "prestige" is necessary. I'd still be more than happy to get titles for each rank tier, or badges, or even new ranks beyond 10k though. Unnecessary as all of that might be, I'd still love it. I like the idea of seeing something like; Emerald Knight, Obsidian Champion or Tanzanite Major.

@Zephyra.4709 said:

Now, I'm not supposed to give my opinion but...

Why would you say that? Had this open for everyone, as I said it was making me think and I am only rank 3K due to havocing and roaming but still don't like to think there is a point where progression ends. Hated caping out on the abilities since it seemed useless to have ranks after that until they added the pip system in.

Make it about more than participation. Earning a PvP title (top 250) means you have a certain skill level within the game (ik theres win traders but w/e, ppl know who they are). WvW rank means you ran around and tagged stuff. I have a WvW rank of 85 and I regularly kill ppl with 2-5k world rank, often in 2 or 3 v 1s.

So why not something that shows skill instead of time spent farming?

@Vegeta.2563 said:I would rather them raise the wvw rank cap, but every 100 ranks above 10k awards 10 ap. So that means 10k ranks above 10k would be 1k ap. While it might seem like a small amount. The rank cap would be removed entirely, along with the ap cap limit on what you could get. You could get to rank 50,000.. and have 4k ap worth. (first 10k doesn't count towards it).

I kind of like that. Not that I am going to hit the 10k cap any time soon, but some of those AP hunters would be freaking out over this.. ?

The idea of prestige is to reset levels and get something shiny for that. But... with the insane amount of time it takes to earn wxp it wouldn't work here, the majority of wvw players haven't even gotten to 10k in 7 years.

They could just put in an extension to the ranks for the extra titles, no extra rank up rewards, without doing a reset of ranks and losing all wvw abilities. Wow already had this system in place for it's pvp in legion expansion btw, you could earn pvp skills, new mount skins, minis, titles, new skins for your artifact weapons, then prestige to basically earn the next color set of everything. They changed it next expansion to just be straight honor levels instead of resetting.

But yeah anet could do something like every 1k ranks after the initial 10k, gives you a new title or mount skin, or mini, or weapon skin, or new target plate shown to the enemy, or 1% bonus wxp, etc. Kinda what their achievement system currently already does with the weapon and armor skins etc.

Not that I even agree to hand over more rewards to ktrainers than people who have played real wvw for 7 years and haven't even managed to get halfway through the ranks, cause they did the little things to help their server, instead of constantly following behind a blob hitting 1 while half afk watching netflix.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Vegeta.2563 said:I would rather them raise the wvw rank cap, but every 100 ranks above 10k awards 10 ap. So that means 10k ranks above 10k would be 1k ap. While it might seem like a small amount. The rank cap would be removed entirely, along with the ap cap limit on what you could get. You could get to rank 50,000.. and have 4k ap worth. (first 10k doesn't count towards it).

I kind of like that. Not that I am going to hit the 10k cap any time soon, but some of those AP hunters would be freaking out over this.. ?

This would work.

@XenesisII.1540 said:The idea of prestige is to reset levels and get something shiny for that. But... with the insane amount of time it takes to earn wxp it wouldn't work here, the majority of wvw players haven't even gotten to 10k in 7 years.

They could just put in an extension to the ranks for the extra titles, no extra rank up rewards, without doing a reset of ranks and losing all wvw abilities. Wow already had this system in place for it's pvp in legion expansion btw, you could earn pvp skills, new mount skins, minis, titles, new skins for your artifact weapons, then prestige to basically earn the next color set of everything. They changed it next expansion to just be straight honor levels instead of resetting.

But yeah anet could do something like every 1k ranks after the initial 10k, gives you a new title or mount skin, or mini, or weapon skin, or new target plate shown to the enemy, or 1% bonus wxp, etc. Kinda what their achievement system currently already does with the weapon and armor skins etc.

Not that I even agree to hand over more rewards to ktrainers than people who have played real wvw for 7 years and haven't even managed to get halfway through the ranks, cause they did the little things to help their server, instead of constantly following behind a blob hitting 1 while half afk watching netflix.

I think you all have it, the goal is to have a goal. Once you cap what's the point, and for some that haven't even hit the goal just by placing one there you remove interest in reaching it. In the end MMOs are only time syncs and the fun is all in the journey so why do we paint an end to it.

Well, I already earned enough ranks for all my skills and my sublime wvw armor set, getting to 10k isn't exactly a goal, I don't even pay attention to my levels it's like 4k something, or when the next title level, or even my participation levels when I'm playing, I'm mostly looking for the next interesting thing to do, which mostly involves getting into a fight somewhere. No pointing fretting over rewards that will come naturally from playing not staring.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:In the end MMOs are only time syncs and the fun is all in the journey so why do we paint an end to it.

And yet like every game, people rush through the journey to the end and then complain there isn't anything to do...