What are the skillful profession/specs? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What are the skillful profession/specs?

Crab Fear.1624Crab Fear.1624 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 3, 2019 in PVP

(skip to the bottom and post your idea in the format as outlined below the bold point if tl:wr)

I have noticed an uptick in finger wagging in the forums, especially in the pvp section.

Lots of players looking at everything now, calling it all cheese, even though good portions of the complaints are about things that have been in the game since inception.

Many of the nerfs have the reasoning for complaint being "too rewarding for too little effort", or "a monkey with feet could play this build blindfolded", or "you press all your buttons and opponent is dead, gg...ape".

So, there must be some preconceptions or ideas about certain classes, specializations, roles, and builds that players consider skilled.

But, what are they?

Is there a consensus?

Or, is it all cheese, but different flavors of cheese?

Instead of doing a poll, I propose the last of us forum rats with at least a modicum of pvp experience each give our opinion on the matter.

In a certain format so we can vote the as a community and let those ideas be revealed.

How can we vote?

After each post you read, you give it a helpful for cheese, and a thumbs up for skill.

Let it be in this format: (feel free to explain more in paragraph after the fact, but keep it separate for easy reading)

Profession

Specializations (traits)

Role

Weapons

Damage Type (Power, Condi, Hybrid)

Soon™ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Comments

• SeikeNz.3526SeikeNz.3526 Member ✭✭✭

ele/weaver/elementalist
    renegade/rev

the good ones always use macros

• Yea it's the Thief +1 decap and Rev Power Shiro gets the top of the list.

An unsavory fellow beloved by those of unsavory ilk.

• sephiroth.4217sephiroth.4217 Member ✭✭✭✭

@SeikeNz.3526 said:
    ele/weaver/elementalist
    renegade/rev

the good ones always use macros

Im always getting accused of this even though my mouse has 19 buttons...

as for OP:
    Celestial DD Tempest
    Fire/Water/Temp

I float between all points. Bring support where its needed or side node... its a versatile build.

Not to brag, but I put together a puzzle in 4 days and the box said 2-4 years.
    Please allow team queue with rewards again at our own discretion.
    06210311 251521 121512

• Stallic.2397Stallic.2397 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2019

Playing Ele in pvp is definitively masochistic. But playing Dagger Ele is pure suicide

...Sadly, I do both.
    Weaver
    Either Air/Water or Arcane/Water --(Fire Traitline is so played out)
    Team Fighter/Side Noder
    Dagger/ (Dagger/Focus)
    Hybrid Damage

• Weaver is the hardest class in the game to play. Period.

• Dante.1508Dante.1508 Member ✭✭✭

@Jasher.6580 said:
    Weaver is the hardest class in the game to play. Period.

I have to agree with this, its the only class i cannot play and never do.

• Alatar.7364Alatar.7364 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2019

Guardian

Valor/Virtues/Dragonhunter

Teamfighter, occasional side-noder

Longbow, Sword/Shield (Focus instead of Shield)

Damage Type: Power

Own note: Even though undoubtedly (in my mind) not an OP profession/build nor one on par with stronger meta-builds, I have always found entire Guardian game-play with permanent Retaliation to be extremely skillless and self-carrying, might be because it is coupled with Heavy Armor, absurd amounts of Heals and blocks and boons and a very powerful dmg, if some of this was taken away it would be a skillfull profession no matter what is or is not Meta at any given moment. In my opinion it might be skillful now in current Meta, but deep in its core is a cheese.

~ I Aear cân ven na mar

• Widmo.3186Widmo.3186 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2019

I like where this is going. What is the skillfull profession/spec? Ofc profession X, because I play it so it must be skillful lol.

In my opinion s/d and d/p teefs. Also Weaver, especially power based, for ppl that can't maintain the pianist and creative gameplay. Id also like to mention Herald, because imo it has possible high skill cap.

We all know how those builds look and work so I wont do the full list of traits/role etc.

Dont mind me, I just randomly spam 35 skill-buttons

• Hoodie.1045Hoodie.1045 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2019

@Jasher.6580 said:

Weaver and elementalist in general is the second hardest profession. Core condition engineer with 3-4 kits still comes out on top.

Karras

• Dreddo.9865Dreddo.9865 Member ✭✭✭

Power Shiro requires good timing and positional awareness to be effective and I think of it as one of the most hard professions to master.
    Thief also has many things to do (capping, +1), has relatively low survivability and requires very good decisions.

Now for your opening comments what do you mean "people call it cheese"? Isn't condi DD cheese? Or wasn't CI mirage in the near past? One shot sic'em soulbeasts WvW? (and the list could go on). Do you believe these types of playing add to the quality of competitive gameplay?

• Megametzler.5729Megametzler.5729 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@Jasher.6580 said:

Weaver and elementalist in general is the second hardest profession. Core condition engineer with 3-4 kits still comes out on top.

laughs in conjured weapons ele

Honestly, my top3 are:

• Thief because of high map awareness needed and low health (not condi!!! Not even S/D as much),
    • Ele for mechanical piano (true, though, kit/grenade engineer used to be kinda equal),
    • Revenant, just for me maybe, because for some reason I can't get used to the energy mechanic.

I always found guard easy to play, but FB has changed that a little.

• Fat Disgrace.4275Fat Disgrace.4275 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2019

Condi thief, let's face it guys. It was buffed 2 patches ago and indirectly buffed with swipe cool down because it was under performing, it is clear evidence that it takes skill to play it.

• Koen.1327Koen.1327 Member ✭✭✭

i often read rev but I find this the easiest kitten ever to play - the role of a rev is very clear and loaded with damage its hard to not kill
    rev is the only class i could maintain plat 2 with when i first started playing it
    weaver is also not so difficult to play (have only played s/d and s/f)

other easy specs:
    firebrand
    mirage
    scourge

medium difficulity:
    ranger specs (druid quite easy though)
    engi specs

hardest for me to play:
    thief - initiative system, very squishy, small opening into actually doing dmg (condi dd and de easier to play with high results though)
    warrior - maybe not a popular opinion but all skills are easy to read, this only works in the opponent's favor. While its easy to just 2-shot people in gold rated games or kite forever with godlike sustain, higher on the ladder i had less success.

• I vote for necromancer, no matter whether it is core necro, reaper or scourge. The difficulty isn't within damage combos or executing the spec, but mostly about positioning and reading the map. Necro is food if it get's focused, and necro cannot escape, so it takes clever positioning of yourself and smart usage of movement skills like flesh wurm, spectral walk (or that scourge portal that I always forget the name of). I personally use the core necro spec, to put it into your format:

Necromancer (core)
    Curses, Soul Reaping, 3rd either spite or death magic.
    Teamfights, focusing key targets, corrupting boons while staying alive.
    Staff+scepter/warhorn, focus can be an option as well.
    Condi, a significant part of it's damage comes from corrupted enemy boons.

• Pretty much anything that isn't Meta or a 1shot/1trick build.

• Crab Fear.1624Crab Fear.1624 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2019

@Chaith.8256 said:
    Most skilled profession?

Whatever outdated spec you stubbornly cling to in PvP.

@Crab Fear.1624 @Hoodie.1045

Pls don't feel personally attacked

Most skilled is another question.

I am just wondering about skillful ones in general.

What might be cheese to me could be crusty old bread to another. (edit: as unlikely as that is, I mean, who would mistake cheese for crusty bread?)

Soon™ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Dave.6819Dave.6819 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2019

U can suddenly see that by hardest to play people actually said weakest to play. And now we can all agree that ele and thief needs buffs. It's not that hard to play S/D or D/P thief tbh (atleast it used to be not that hard).. it's just the fact that over time we became not only defenseless but also "damage'less". That's what makes it hard or even impossible. And weaver.. yea it's a whole different piano lesson with no spike damage nor spike heals. Lots of effort for not so much results. Doing everything yet doing nothing. So yup.. i vote for these 2 classes. Not only cuz they are kinda hard but they are underperforming. (Power mesmer is following the same path btw. RIP chrono)

Thief: But i'm teef. We were supposed to be strong and cool and quick and deadly u know?
    Anet: Hold my beer. Imma steal your glory and bury u for good now.
    Thief: Wut the....?!

• ZDragon.3046ZDragon.3046 Member ✭✭✭✭

I say it depends on what mode you look at
    In pve i think classes that do supporting take some skill to play if you really want to maximize them
    In pvp its any-class thats outdated or is very technical but is also not a one shot sniper
    So....
    Ele (is probably the most skillful of them all)

• Pretty much any weaver build except, pulse aoe/evade condi weaver though (that takes no skill and its not very good once some knows your play style)
    • Tempest takes a good bit skill but it really depends on the setup, (i once had a tempest reflect projectiles for me by standing in front of me while ie was cc'ed with Magnetic Wave It was just godly.....)
    • core ele takes skill in general
    • the very few and rare people who know how to play staff ele in pvp properly

Necro (just because of how undertooled it is at its base compared to the other professions)

• Core requires a bit of skill to play and not just die from power creep of everything else its also outdated and lacks tools it should have
    • Reaper is the same as core but to a much lesser extent
    • Scourge at the moment is probably even more technical than ele at least in pvp. But before the patch no.. this was not skillful imo

Theif

• Any thief thats not condi or perma stealth takes some skill i would say.

Warrior

• Berserker is probably the hardest realistically to play out of the 3 (not talking about 1 shot builds)

Engineer

• Core.... yeah no one does this anymore lol.... Holo just made it so free and easy its silly

Mesmer

• Any mesmer build that does not use a staff

The hardest things for me personally to play is a warrior and thats because i main a necro and the two play 100% differently its actually mentally draining for me to play warrior because i have to make myself think so differently but warrior can be fun. I personally dont think its as easy as people say it is.

• Vagrant.7206Vagrant.7206 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2019

@Ouk.5914 said:
    Supper FB ***

Daddy Ouk, why are you having an FB for supper?

I would say prot holo is pretty complex to play well, but it's by no means weak either.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice!

• Lighter.5631Lighter.5631 Member ✭✭✭

no hate but def not thief, it being my second most played class only because i can be effective without being mechanically good.
    well i guess that include all damage spec that can teleport, certain builds might be weak at the moment, but it doesnt change the core of the build.

• Ouk.5914Ouk.5914 Member ✭✭✭

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@Ouk.5914 said:
    Supper FB ***

Daddy Ouk, why are you having an FB for supper?

I would say prot holo is pretty complex to play well, but it's by no means weak either.

Fb Support takes a lot more skill to play and actually play it right. I don't know how often I seen Full support FB go into a node and die in a matter of seconds because they burn through their mantra on no one, However with SageBrand (dps) you don't need to support anyone, Just follow a team zerg and just Blast away on a node to obtain some free kills. Pretty much requires almost no skills other then knowing your rotations around and knowing when to spam the dps.

As for Prot holo I think giving it a 2 star rating is fair IMO, It isn't hard to pick up as long as you know how to rotate around your mortar kit and Holo form properly in order to get the most out of hardlight arena and Sword 2.

edited October 4, 2019

serious not sure how power s/d rated three stars and war rated one star lol.
    and how prot holo is rated higher then rifle when all prot holo do is rotate through skills...
    really all these builds belong a 2 star, only difference is build effective or not. definitely 3 of my most played classes.

do people misunderstand build effectiveness to skillful or something..
    weaver, fb are probably more difficult and takes longer to learn and get a hang on for having more buttons. but that's it..nothing really more "skillful" there's only less skillful build or builds that require less mechanical skill to be effective in 5v5 like thief while side noders rely heavily on mechanical skill, on top of rotation skill.

• Dadnir.5038Dadnir.5038 Member ✭✭✭✭

Any profession/build that have a straigthforward gameplay tend to be labelled as unskilled.
    Any condition build tend to be labelled as unskilled.
    Any tank build (be it evade or not) tend to be labelled as unskilled.

Any profession/build that need planing and reactivity tend to be labelled as skilled.

• Ouk.5914Ouk.5914 Member ✭✭✭

@Dadnir.5038 said:
    Any profession/build that have a straigthforward gameplay tend to be labelled as unskilled.

Any profession/build that need planing and reactivity tend to be labelled as skilled.

this man gets it!

• coro.3176coro.3176 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dadnir.5038 said:

Although it is not viable at all currently with the amount of condi cleanse in the game, I really like the play of Condi Engi, which features a few medium-cooldown high-damage condition bombs and a few lower cooldown cover conditions.

Unlike some condition builds where the objective is to 'spam' attacks at your opponent and overwhelm their cleanse, Condi engi has a different gameplan:

• First, know your opponent. Know how much cleanse they likely have available to them, and when they are likely to use it.
    • Open with cover conditions if you expect them to waste a cleanse early, if not, open with a condi bomb.
    • Immediately apply cover conditions after a bomb so that any cleanse hits those first.
    • Keep reapplying cover as needed, going for repeating cover like Poison Dart Volley or Glue Shot if the opponent cleanses 1-2 conditions at a time - otherwise try to stack as many different cover conditions on at once to avoid burst cleanse (vuln, weakness, bleed, poison, cripple etc).
    • Never reapply burn unless you can cover it and protect its damage with cover.
    • Use CC to interrupt a cleanse.
    • Try to survive long enough for you conditions to down the opponent.

That, to me takes some skill, and I get annoyed when people suggest "all condi is skilless". Sure, maybe some condi builds work by just constantly and thoughtlessly attacking, but condi engi definitely isn't one.

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

mine basically lol is all i'm hearing

Te lazla otstra.

edited October 4, 2019

@Lighter.5631 said:
    and how prot holo is rated higher then rifle when all prot holo do is rotate through skills...

You don't actually need to know most of the skills to operate rifle holo. You just push most of the buttons and you generally win. I've observed rifle holos who had no clue what they were doing still win because of this.

With prot holo, you need to know what each skill does, and use them as appropriate, in addition to chaining together combos for the maximum effect. That's not to say a low-skilled prot holo can't be effective, but the difference between "high skill" and "low skill" is much greater on prot holo than it is for rifle holo.

Yes, this is a "skill floor" vs. "skill ceiling" argument. I would say that the difference between those two points matters.

• Bear.9568Bear.9568 Member ✭✭✭

@Alatar.7364 said:
    Guardian

Valor/Virtues/Dragonhunter

Teamfighter, occasional side-noder

Longbow, Sword/Shield (Focus instead of Shield)

Damage Type: Power

Own note: Even though undoubtedly (in my mind) not an OP profession/build nor one on par with stronger meta-builds, I have always found entire Guardian game-play with permanent Retaliation to be extremely skillless and self-carrying, might be because it is coupled with Heavy Armor, absurd amounts of Heals and blocks and boons and a very powerful dmg, if some of this was taken away it would be a skillfull profession no matter what is or is not Meta at any given moment. In my opinion it might be skillful now in current Meta, but deep in its core is a cheese.

Skillful Guardian lololol, whats next, skillful holo?

• Gamble.4580Gamble.4580 Member ✭✭✭

I agree with this list. Fb is only amazing in the right hands, and a high throw in the wrong. Holo is only OP in the right hands and also still useful with all others who play it. Power mes can be super effective for winning when played ok or well I would say as they take out the lower rated players very quickly making it a more outnumbered game for most of it. And a bad one makes it 4v5 for whole game.

• Crab Fear.1624Crab Fear.1624 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    mine basically lol is all i'm hearing

Well, I do think my class takes a little skill, but I don't really play s/d core. I prefer core d/p.

The build isn't about skill for me, but enjoyment.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAgqVlNw2YdMQ2JOuLprTA-z5IeKpoAyUI0rIobJgjHA

I don't enjoy pressing 2 + v

Soon™ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• kraai.7265kraai.7265 Member ✭✭✭

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

You don't actually need to know most of the skills to operate rifle holo. You just push most of the buttons and you generally win. I've observed rifle holos who had no clue what they were doing still win because of this.

With prot holo, you need to know what each skill does, and use them as appropriate, in addition to chaining together combos for the maximum effect. That's not to say a low-skilled prot holo can't be effective, but the difference between "high skill" and "low skill" is much greater on prot holo than it is for rifle holo.

Yes, this is a "skill floor" vs. "skill ceiling" argument. I would say that the difference between those two points matters.

I started playing prot holo after chrono was deleted.. sorry i mean "reworked" and i can't agree with what you say, never lost a match in that class, and im always top stats in either offense or defence and kills
    I barely read what skills do, just got into matches and spam, and it's ridiculous the amount of sustain i get without even knowing how to do combos, only the heal rotations, also i almost never get killed unless i start a fight 1v3 on porpouse, that spec completely carries me anytime against any comp, holo is in god mode right now and it should be the next in line for the balance team

• alain.1659alain.1659 Member ✭✭✭

As long as your build does not rely on 1-2 button spamming or same short combo it can be considered as skilled. Some people think that pushing more buttons require more skill, yet I think using the environment, knowing your opponent and using your skills masterfully in any situation is the requirement. Using skills to their absolute limit is the best one :)

I played every profession (really failed at some), engi was the hardest yet the best one before HoT. It required wits, knowledge of your and your enemy's skills, good planning and good execution. Now, although skill floor is really lower than before, most builds require a good skill to play. People get angry at thieves, yet they need good positioning. People get angry at mesmers, yet they need good timing. People will always claim "x is a braindead class" when they cannot counter it.

• Kumouta.4985Kumouta.4985 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2019

necro because its kitten, so you have to go ultra instinct and time all your stuff just right and use LOS to stand a chance against OP stuff
    OP stuff being everything that isnt a fellow pitiful weak tiny necromancer

i dont consider the amount of buttons you can press difficulty as you can just learn those in less than an hour, i consider the effort necessary to be able to beat others difficulty.

• Swagg.9236Swagg.9236 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jasher.6580 said:

Weaver plays itself. Core staff ele with arcane revival is the 400 IQ playmaker.

• Swagg.9236Swagg.9236 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dadnir.5038 said:

It's almost like it's satisfying to have a heavy hit with a lot of inherent risk deal heavy damage. It's almost like there's skill in predicting opponents. It's almost as if this is entirely absent from GW2.

• Lilyanna.9361Lilyanna.9361 Member ✭✭✭✭

Tempest because you are basically the reflect and protect god, but anything outside of that will kill you if you don't kite/time your cc properly for your team lmao.

On a side note, Idk why people think dagger is bad on ele. For core and tempest that literally has to be their most versatile weapon and probably one of their mobile/strongest. Scepter is just WAY TOO kitten clunky and buggy to actually be reliable imo. The recent dagger changes really improved their gameplay in my eyes.

edited October 6, 2019

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

you don't need to know most skills for prot holo either, u just know both arena and light shield reduces damages.
    all u have to do is press one of these two skills when u see damage coming, and you damage by spamming forge to 149% while getting 25 might and all your damage skill does kitten tons of damage then spam mortar and repeat.

• Azure The Heartless.3261Azure The Heartless.3261 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2019

Post patch:

God-Tier difficulty:

Power Engineer/Kit Engineer
    Power Elementalist
    Condition Revenant
    Condition Berserker

Hard:
    Power Core Thief.
    Power Daredevil.
    Power Chronomancer
    All Weavers.
    All Tempests.
    Power Necro/Reaper
    Condition Ranger
    Dragonhunter
    Power and Condition Renegade

Medium:

Power Warrior/Berserker/Spellbreaker without rampage.
    Core Guardian.
    Scourge
    Power Revenant/Power Herald
    Power Ranger/Druid
    Condition SoulBeast
    Power Mirage
    Scrapper

Easy

Any warrior running Rampage.
    Condition Thief.
    Power Deadeye
    Power Soulbeast
    Firebrand.

Diet GW2:

Condition Mirage
    Holosmith(Go down one tier if you get rampage in your rotation)

Degenerate Play

[None, see above]

[Charr Noises]
    [Plays every class]
    [JUST GIT EVEN GUDDER ITS FINE]

• viquing.8254viquing.8254 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2019

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:
    Hard:
    Power Chronomancer

Wut ? Did this even exist ?

• Doto.6357Doto.6357 Member ✭✭

Post patch:

God-Tier difficulty
    Condition Revenant

Finally someone mentions my main. Condi core is fun yo

• LolLookAtMyAP.8394LolLookAtMyAP.8394 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2019

Every build in the game is skillful, except mantra mes and permastealth one-shot melee Deadeye. The reason why is mantra mes/melee DE requires melee distance to be the most effective as a one shot. And one shot is not skillful unless you can kite while being able to do damage. Hence these builds are trash and nobody should play them. If you want to be a "ranged mantra mes" don't bother and play F/A Weaver instead, or choose rifle as one shot for Deadeye.

Skill level: easy = everything can be easy, though your death rate will be higher if you think like this for most builds. Some bunker builds/bruisers are easy to play and effective, such as Sw/F Weaver (easy for me) but I admit I'm not as good on rotations as I should be

Skill level: medium = anything can be medium difficulty. Sometimes when I play S/D Thief I think it's about this level of difficulty (that's when I'm at my best) when I start thinking it's easy to play, I do terribly and mess a bunch of kitten up.

Skill level: hard = now this is genuinely reserved for anything that contradicts what role you're used to, or something that requires macro unless you're a keybind god, or something that demands attention to minute detail. F/A Weaver, S/D Thief, a good Power Rev (there's a difference), a good Necro, a good bruiser/side noder (the hardest part about playing a side noder is knowing how to rotate after your fight ends), and Renegade. For me support classes are genuinely impossible since they're such a farcry from what I'm used to playing in Conquest. But to others it's a simple role.

• Don Vega Van Kain.9842Don Vega Van Kain.9842 Member ✭✭
    edited October 6, 2019

There's no skillful professions or less, only good/medium/bad players......(that's not true !!!)

Troll since 1982.

• Azure The Heartless.3261Azure The Heartless.3261 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2019

@viquing.8254 said:

Hard:
    Power Chronomancer

Wut ? Did this even exist ?

I'm sure someone somewhere is unironically using timewells

[Charr Noises]
    [Plays every class]
    [JUST GIT EVEN GUDDER ITS FINE]

• mortrialus.3062mortrialus.3062 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2019

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

And yet every single thread you are there. Arguing against nerfs that would put holosmith in line with where it should be balance wise.

The Psychomancer: Mesmer Elite Specialization Suggestion

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:

And yet every single thread you are there. Arguing against nerfs that would put holosmith in line with where it should be balance wise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevertheless,_she_persisted

:smile:

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.