Upcoming Ranger Changes - Extremely Sad

shadowpass.4236

@"Kilrik.6320" said:"I know you are a PVE boy, so somehow I understand why you are so pleased with the new changes because you want Sword to be buffed more than fixing GS. I am sure in PVE that 200% increased damage and other things will help a lot the Ranger, but in PVP, the only spot I see for sword is again Bunker build or Boonbeast. And again ppl will complain, and they will ask for nerf, but guess what, they will not fix the sword , they will nerf again the traits, utilities, in other words, they will nerf core ranger again!"

@Dragonzhunter.8506I'm not arguing with you for I find the patch horribly displeasing, but the way your text read is somewhat confusing. You are not saying the sword got a 200% damage increase are you? It was dagger's Stalker's Strike that received the buff by 200% plus the potential for more based on circumstances. The sword's damage was left untouched for all 3 skills. Also, I can't speak for other sword users, but I feel and suspect the majority of wvw sword rangers see this patch as a huge nerf. I use sword not for for it's damage, but it's utility and that is negatively affected for the way I play.

Sorry, my bad, you are right. The idea is both Sword and Dagger changes are mainly for PVE area, and not for sPVP or WvW. At least this is my opinion.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Kilrik.6320" said:"I know you are a PVE boy, so somehow I understand why you are so pleased with the new changes because you want Sword to be buffed more than fixing GS. I am sure in PVE that 200% increased damage and other things will help a lot the Ranger, but in PVP, the only spot I see for sword is again Bunker build or Boonbeast. And again ppl will complain, and they will ask for nerf, but guess what, they will not fix the sword , they will nerf again the traits, utilities, in other words, they will nerf core ranger again!"

@Dragonzhunter.8506I'm not arguing with you for I find the patch horribly displeasing, but the way your text read is somewhat confusing. You are not saying the sword got a 200% damage increase are you? It was dagger's Stalker's Strike that received the buff by 200% plus the potential for more based on circumstances. The sword's damage was left untouched for all 3 skills. Also, I can't speak for other sword users, but I feel and suspect the majority of wvw sword rangers see this patch as a huge nerf. I use sword not for for it's damage, but it's utility and that is negatively affected for the way I play.

What's new? People complain always in PvP..that's what pvp forum is for in every MMO...be glad they actually complain about ranger, it would means the class is trash otherwise and no worth using, there is no change that will simply stop people from whining all day long..all players know that and devs know that.

The GS and sword/dagger changes will make ranger that much more useful in WvW...mark my words

@"Arheundel.6451" said:What's new? People complain always in PvP..that's what pvp forum is for in every MMO...be glad they actually complain about ranger, it would means the class is trash otherwise and no worth using, there is no change that will simply stop people from whining all day long..all players know that and devs know that.

The GS and sword/dagger changes will make ranger that much more useful in WvW...mark my words

When are saying "much more useful in WvW", what do you mean? Because useful in WvW from my POV is if you fit in a zerg raid, or if you are sharing boons/buffs or you have a powerful AOE damage. Changing GS, Sword and Dagger skills, without adding AoE or buffs ... doesn't look something "more useful in WvW". Contrary, nerfing Auto LB, made the only real AoE ranger weapon (using Lead the Wind) lower in damage, which means less useful in WvW.Sorry, maybe I am wrong.

@Arheundel.6451 said:The GS and sword/dagger changes will make ranger that much more useful in WvW...mark my words

We lost the ability to function in zerg fights and had our one good weapon for picking off people out of position nerfed by ~10%

No amount of tweaks to 1h sword are going to make up for that

Keep in mind that other classes got buffs and adjustments as well

What ever piddly support we get in team fights always needs to be measured against what the already god tier classes got.

It's why druid is complete garbage while Firebrand/Scrapper exist.

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:I know you are a PVE boy, so somehow I understand why you are so pleased with the new changes because you want Sword to be buffed more than fixing GS. I am sure in PVE that 200% increased damage and other things will help a lot the Ranger, but in PVP, the only spot I see for sword is again Bunker build or Boonbeast. And again ppl will complain, and they will ask for nerf, but guess what, they will not fix the sword , they will nerf again the traits, utilities, in other words, they will nerf core ranger again!

Insulting people on your inability to read patchnotes is just sad.

@Miellyn.6847 said:

@"Dragonzhunter.8506" said:I know you are a PVE boy, so somehow I understand why you are so pleased with the new changes because you want Sword to be buffed more than fixing GS. I am sure in PVE that 200% increased damage and other things will help a lot the Ranger, but in PVP, the only spot I see for sword is again Bunker build or Boonbeast. And again ppl will complain, and they will ask for nerf, but guess what, they will not fix the sword , they will nerf again the traits, utilities, in other words, they will nerf core ranger again!

Insulting people on your inability to read patchnotes is just sad.

You started to insult me, by saying :

" As you didn't design that attackchain you are not in the position to define that matter. The time something exists in the game also doesn't matter.We don't know if it was an exploit but you are not the one who decides that."

Just using these words, and put them in the way you did, was a insult.

Also, saying things like :

Thats exactly the point. There is no other class that could use a channeled skill for something like this. All other skills just go on cooldown.

without checking first if it is true what you want to say, it was another type of disrespect.

I am sorry if using the word "boy" offended you, but somehow you deserve it.

PS: I understand that they still DIDN'T changed the channelling effect ... you still can use 3rd form of GS #1 more than once in a row, just cancelling ... so, in the end, this wasn't an exploit ...

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

@"Arheundel.6451" said:What's new? People complain always in PvP..that's what pvp forum is for in every MMO...be glad they actually complain about ranger, it would means the class is trash otherwise and no worth using, there is no change that will simply stop people from whining all day long..all players know that and devs know that.

When are saying "much more useful in WvW", what do you mean? Because useful in WvW from my POV is if you fit in a zerg raid, or if you are sharing boons/buffs or you have a powerful AOE damage. Changing GS, Sword and Dagger skills, without adding AoE or buffs ... doesn't look something "more useful in WvW". Contrary, nerfing Auto LB, made the only real AoE ranger weapon (using Lead the Wind) lower in damage, which means less useful in WvW.Sorry, maybe I am wrong.

I play an extreme high toughness melee brawler gs/axe+axe soulbeast with blackbear and enough crit dmg/chance to deal respectul aoe dmg. I am no part of the zerg but I stick the tag nevertheless and push alongside commander enjoying all sort of boons, meanwhile I'm using defensive food on top the tanky build and I survive the push and possible dislocation. It works for me because I don't have expectactions to perform as good as a scourge or hammer heralds, I don't die nearly as easily as you may think if at all and I get my fare share of lootbags.

I consider a 5-6k maul and 8k WD enough dmg to guarantee a good amount of lootbags, I don't suggest to use longbow at all for zerg fights, the coefficients on LB are not high enough to allow a defensive build doing dmg, you are forced into a glass role where you're easy pick for deadeyes and other rangers

The new Gs block/counter will improve the defense of my build that much more , I would suggest to use LB only for small fights/sniping roles

@Substance E.4852 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:The GS and sword/dagger changes will make ranger that much more useful in WvW...mark my words

We lost the ability to function in zerg fights and had our one good weapon for picking off people out of position nerfed by ~10%

No amount of tweaks to 1h sword are going to make up for that

Keep in mind that other classes got buffs and adjustments as well

What ever piddly support we get in team fights always needs to be measured against what the already god tier classes got.

It's why druid is complete garbage while Firebrand/Scrapper exist.

I am using a full melee frontline soulbeast for zergcombat, given how strong is ranger for roaming I have no complaints or regrets investing so much ( money and time ) in this class , I get a good amount of lootbags and fun. I limit LB use to sniping / dealing with cancerous melee specs and small fights

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:What's new? People complain always in PvP..that's what pvp forum is for in every MMO...be glad they actually complain about ranger, it would means the class is trash otherwise and no worth using, there is no change that will simply stop people from whining all day long..all players know that and devs know that.

I play an extreme high toughness melee brawler gs/axe+axe soulbeast with blackbear and enough crit dmg/chance to deal respectul aoe dmg. I am no part of the zerg but I stick the tag nevertheless and push alongside commander enjoying all sort of boons, meanwhile I'm using defensive food on top the tanky build and I survive the push and possible dislocation. It works for me because I don't have expectactions to perform as good as a scourge or hammer heralds,
I don't die nearly as easily as you may think if at all
and I get my fare share of lootbags.

I consider a 5-6k maul and 8k WD enough dmg to guarantee a good amount of lootbags, I don't suggest to use longbow at all for zerg fights, the coefficients on LB are not high enough to allow a defensive build doing dmg, you are forced into a glass role where you're easy pick for deadeyes and other rangers

The new Gs block/counter will improve the defense of my build that much more , I would suggest to use LB only for small fights/sniping roles

Arheundel, I never said that a Ranger can't fight in a zerg raid, I am doing this since the beginning. I am playing along the Tag (shoulder by shoulder) all the time, and in most of the cases, I die among the last. I play many times glass cannon with zerg, without dying either. But this doesn't mean we are suitable for zerg raid because our contribution vis-a-vis of other classes is minimum. If a commander should trade a class for another, a ranger will be on top of the list.

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:What's new? People complain always in PvP..that's what pvp forum is for in every MMO...be glad they actually complain about ranger, it would means the class is trash otherwise and no worth using, there is no change that will simply stop people from whining all day long..all players know that and devs know that.

I play an extreme high toughness melee brawler gs/axe+axe soulbeast with blackbear and enough crit dmg/chance to deal respectul aoe dmg. I am no part of the zerg but I stick the tag nevertheless and push alongside commander enjoying all sort of boons, meanwhile I'm using defensive food on top the tanky build and I survive the push and possible dislocation. It works for me because I don't have expectactions to perform as good as a scourge or hammer heralds,

Arheundel, I never said that a Ranger can't fight in a zerg raid, I am doing this since the beginning. I am playing along the Tag (shoulder by shoulder) all the time, and in most of the cases, I die among the last. I play many times glass cannon with zerg, without dying either. But this doesn't mean we are suitable for zerg raid because our contribution vis-a-vis of other classes is minimum. If a commander should trade a class for another, a ranger will be on top of the list.

I enjoy ranger as roaming class and duellist, during zerg fights it doesn't do bad...asking for more would be simply OP. The best part about playing ranger, you don't need to be part of the zerg at all..just close enough, I am not taken in the zerg, I simply follow it's not like they can stop you and if you want to be part of the zerg so badly then I would suggest to play one of the loved zerg specs....the last thing I desire is to have the duelling/raoming abilities of ranged diminished to become part of a mob following a dorito...if I'd want that I could simply relog on ele, warrior or guardian which are fully geared in ascended/legendaries

@Arheundel.6451 said:

I enjoy ranger as roaming class and duellist, during zerg fights it doesn't do bad...asking for more would be simply OP. The best part about playing ranger, you don't need to be part of the zerg at all..just close enough, I am not taken in the zerg, I simply follow it's not like they can stop you and if you want to be part of the zerg so badly then I would suggest to play one of the loved zerg specs....the last thing I desire is to have the duelling/raoming abilities of ranged diminished to become part of a mob following a dorito...if I'd want that I could simply relog on ele, warrior or guardian which are fully geared in ascended/legendaries

I agree with you, I like the Ranger as it is now. (well, till the patch, because I didn't test the new changes yet)

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:I am using a full melee frontline soulbeast for zergcombat

You can play anything as anything in this game

It's about whether you're actually making a difference in the fight at all.That's precisely why commanders used to ask people to bring anything other than ranger because almost anything was better at everything.

Yes, you can still play wackamole with GS in a zerg but you are objectively worse off now than you were before these changes. This isn't even debatable. +15 endurance isn't even remotely as good as 1s evade on auto cycle.

Removing the auto activation on counterattack is good but that was only ever a problem when you were blocking an attack from a person in melee range. If you're using it to block red ring spam, you're not likely to notice any difference.

@Substance E.4852 said:

It's about whether you're actually making a difference in the fight at all.That's precisely why commanders used to ask people to bring anything other than ranger because almost anything was better at everything.

Yes, you can still play wackamole with GS in a zerg but you are objectively worse off now than you were before these changes. This isn't even debatable. +15 endurance isn't even remotely as good as 1s evade on auto cycle.

Removing the auto activation on counterattack is good but that was only ever a problem when you were blocking an attack from a person in melee range. If you're using it to block red ring spam, you're not likely to notice any difference.

If you feel ranger doesn't contribute to a zerg in the way you like...just change to a class that does what you like no?! In a game with 9 different professions, they're bound to be limitations to each one. I play ranger for its duellist abilities and favourable soloplay..but I have other professions for more zerg play, under no circumstances I would accept to lose those roaming abilities for zergplay..that's not what I signed for

@Arheundel.6451 said:

If you feel ranger doesn't contribute to a zerg in the way you like...just change to a class that does what you like no?! In a game with 9 different professions, they're bound to be limitations to each one. I play ranger for its duellist abilities and favourable soloplay..but I have other professions for more zerg play, under no circumstances I would accept to lose those roaming abilities for zergplay..that's not what I signed for

There's no such thing as a "roaming class" anymore

That's an outdated concept from a time when classes had hard design philosophy

Petty much the only one that doesn't lend itself well to roaming is the necro because of it's limited mobility which hurts on maps as open as the WvW ones

Mobility also more or less went out the window with mounts which is why "roamers" wont stop bitching about them

@Lazze.9870 said:

@"apharma.3741" said:Friendly request to druid players, please remove the chronomancer corpse from behind the back of the shed when you get led there, it's starting to smell really bad. Thank you.

Chronomancers lie behind the "failed reworks" shed. Druid is in the nerfed to oblivion pile.

What you and many others fail to realise is that a rework can be and often is a nerf, either way they all end up behind ANet's shed rotting away.

I made another post in the poll thread, i'll keep it short (haha didn't succeed, cause dissapointment to big) here anet.

A lot of skills gets changed nerfed. Often this is sad. But often there is at least one argument why it's change (possible overpowered).

However Power stab, NEVER in a lifetime was overpowered (way to slow and hard to control for that, plus it's superior predictable to enemy, making it just a nice bonus to have). So any form of overtuned=not true.

Then we have question is skill fun to use? Some skills where changed/simplified because of that. ranger greatsword is actually a very mediocre weapon, but it has a fun combination of skills that is very fun to use. Power stab was the identity of the weapon. Lots of people hated it, but a lot of true to heart rangers loved it. Not for it's power but for it's gameplay. And.... here it comes Arenanet: FUNFACTOR. Some skills are AND balanced And fun. A very hard to reach combination, yet this skill absolutely had it in my opinion.

And then you do the most stupid thing in the world (i can't say it otherwise, because that would emphasis enough how dissapointed i am): you removed it.

Deathblossom: 10x more control, spammable, no 2 attacks required, less predictable. Not changed/nerfedBound: same. And this has much more reliable endurance recovery then ranger. Wich makes even stronger (and new power stab weaker as it's not reliable).Full counter/Warrior greatsword 3: powerfull evades, on short cd, with the first having an extremely strong second effect.

No, removing the skills above is NOT the solution. IN fact i don't think they need tuning (apart from full counter a little nodge down). But i could live with tuning down for balance sake. But removing them haha no.

I just listed skills who are way closer to the overpowered territory (doenst mean they are in it, just closer), and yet you remover power stab and not them. Big/huge/crazy over the top mistake arenanet.

An important reminder: a Game is entertainment. It's supposed to have use have fun after a hard day of work. Some skills are fun to use (for instance i know for thiefs Vault has this big 'fun to use factor'. Power stab is actually even better, it's fun to use (for a select but respectable group of rangers), AND it's balanced (actually tuned to soft even imo). Those two ard HARD TO combine, yet you did. IF all skills in game had that balance: the game would be finished (no tuning needed). So you reached the top requirement on a skill.

AND THEN YOU REMOVE IT! Whaaaaaaaaaaat? DONT fix what AIN't BROKE arenanet, seriously. Hell even having to possiblly pay 20 000 gems for build templates (sufficient slots for my kind of power use) dissapoints me less then this, arenanet. Go figure.

• 2 months later...

Until now I played Ranger for fun, going around the open world and story missions. Moreover, when Firebrand wasn't still out, very often I used Druid for Fractal contents. So, my opinion about this class has always been only one: play it without any stress!

Anyway I've also got other classes like zerk-Reaper, support-Firebrand, zerk-Dragon Hunter, alac-Renegade and I find all them suggestive, powerful, useful for certain situations. And about Ranger and his specializations? I don't play Ranger core anymore, due to limitations in terms of enjoyment, so I prefer to play as Soulbeast in pve. And, although my Ranger owns two offensive ascended gearset (zerk/viper) his melee-attacks aren't really valid for winning against groups of enemies or help my party providing solid dps (not with these evasive sword/dagger weapon-skills).

All short-range weapons have slow, useless and for-single-target skills. What's usefulness that "sword-skill-rework" supposed to give? What's usefulness those melee weapons with their low damage and slow dps supposed to give? And, about Warhorn cooldown? It's really long, considered the current meta, isn't it? But more importantly, there aren't aoe weapon-skills enough to deal groups of mobs and survive at them as Reaper would; there aren't good evasive and protective weapon-skills; there aren't pull skills .Also that pet mechanics always seemed unconvincing to me

Are GS and torch an exception? I think so.

Now, I think also this class should be reworked almost entirely because I really feel stress and difficulty at all times.

From my perspective in hindsight as top tier soulbeast (wvw balance):

Auto chain was broken. Ranger has lots of access to quickness and the power stab evade duration didn't decrease. Meaning while merged, you have significantly higher stats than opponent, and adding quickness meant your AA chain was effectively a 50% evade uptime while hitting very hard ( power stab deals like 75% the dmg of maul, which already hits very hard ) .

As for counter attack, throw removal sucks. But the change to the block is VERY GOOD.. no more auto proccing by clones, phantasms, pets, minions or on someone you didn't want to hit. And you can chain it more easily now because there's like a 3 second window you can use the KB after the block.

Overall I would say it's good. The power stab was abused a lot. Change to block makes up for it as well.I've literally had 1v1s with rangers where we just auto atracked each other for a solid 5 second each wep rotation after swapping pets and just hoping we got the right timing with the dodge cus it's so broken lol.

Also, i have video clips where I literally kill roamer thieves with AA and quickness ONLY.... KILLING PEOPLE WITH AA.. YES!

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:You what IS a kitten bug? The entire mirage profession.

Dodge while cc'd? Sounds like a kitten bug to me. How about you remove
that
Anet?

exploits@arena.net

Way to dumb down the game.

Instead of throwing a tantrum like a five year old. Make a constructive complaint and send it to ArenaNet if you don't agree with their decisions.

They have made
many
questionable decisions in the past year. From buffing Holo to nerfing core guard and druid. Leaving mirage cloak unchecked, and Mercy signet in the game.

I understand you don't want your main class nerfed, I understand how that feels.But at the end of the day, this wasn't intended behavior and should never have existed in the first place.

And ranger GS is already very strong without it, having gap closer, evade, block, hard cc and burst all in the same weapon is a boon very few classes has access to.Many classes have seen nerfs this patch, so it's only fair that ranger gets theirs

Also would like to point out:How the kitten is it dumbing down the game by removing the option to press 111111 to deal massive dmg while having 50% evade uptime with quickness? It's making you need to use more skills. Literally the opposite of dumbing down.

@bigo.9037 said:

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:You what IS a kitten bug? The entire mirage profession.

Dodge while cc'd? Sounds like a kitten bug to me. How about you remove
that
Anet?

exploits@arena.net

Way to dumb down the game.

Instead of throwing a tantrum like a five year old. Make a constructive complaint and send it to ArenaNet if you don't agree with their decisions.

They have made
many
questionable decisions in the past year. From buffing Holo to nerfing core guard and druid. Leaving mirage cloak unchecked, and Mercy signet in the game.

I understand you don't want your main class nerfed, I understand how that feels.But at the end of the day, this wasn't intended behavior and should never have existed in the first place.

And ranger GS is already very strong without it, having gap closer, evade, block, hard cc and burst all in the same weapon is a boon very few classes has access to.Many classes have seen nerfs this patch, so it's only fair that ranger gets theirs

Also would like to point out:How the kitten is it dumbing down the game by removing the option to press 111111 to deal massive dmg while having 50% evade uptime with quickness? It's making you need to use more skills. Literally the opposite of dumbing down.

Dumbing down as now the game are not viable to play as a GS/X Ranger not in PvE or any of the PVP modes it took a few builds out of game.And it never had 50% evade with quickness as evade lasts shorter under quickness ;)And massive dmg on ranger what ? plz look at what the other classes have plz