End of dragons and Endwalkers

Both Guild Wars 2 and FFXIV have up coming expansions hinting som kind of End (and a new start). End of dragons and Endwalker. Both companies have clarified that this not the End for the actual game but for a story or part of it. I think it is a bit funny that both have chosen a name for their expansion that indicate and "End". Also funny that they in interviews have to explain that they are not shutting down the game ?

I need the Storywriting Team to watch, "Empresses in The Palace"... and write a story as good as that for the Cantha Expansion.

I need twists, suspense and downfalls. Characters need to have more dimensions... I'm tired of characters being either good or bad. There needs to be more variety, and more personalities. We need the Main Character to have doubts, lack of confidence, cowardice, hesitation etc......

• Like 1

@Balsa.3951 said:Lack of creativity and self-confidenceEnd of Dragons/ End of JediHeart of Thorns / Game of Thrones

Very embarrassing....

Being original is a risk for big companies now

Gw2's expansion names have always had a direct meaning or reference to the story, I don't agree that they just ripped off something else that is popular.

The Heart of Thorns is a legitimate relevant location in the Magumma Jungle.Path of Fire is a reference to the war campaign the God of Fire waged across Elona.End of Dragons we expect to be the finale of the Elder Dragon main storyline of Gw2 which has been ongoing for almost a decade.

They're not just random words that are irrelevant to the game, neither are their logo's which typically depict an Elder Dragon that play's a relevant part in that expansion's storyline.. hence why many believe the DSD is going to be the big bad antagonist of the expansion since it's clearly depicted in the logo.

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Balsa.3951 said:Lack of creativity and self-confidenceEnd of Dragons/ End of JediHeart of Thorns / Game of Thrones

Very embarrassing....

Gw2's expansion names have always had a direct meaning or reference to the story, I don't agree that they just ripped off something else that is popular.

The Heart of Thorns is a legitimate relevant location in the Magumma Jungle.Path of Fire is a reference to the war campaign the God of Fire waged across Elona.End of Dragons we expect to be the finale of the Elder Dragon main storyline of Gw2 which has been ongoing for almost a decade.

They're not just random words that are irrelevant to the game, neither are their logo's which typically depict an Elder Dragon that play's a relevant part in that expansion's storyline.. hence why many believe the DSD is going to be the big bad antagonist of the expansion since it's clearly depicted in the logo.

Dragon Watch ---- Night Watch (game of Thrones)

yes it's related to the story but clearly repurposed

Also when u compare all the humor dialogue the game got in compare to before u noticed a style change to the popular marvel humor.

Anyhow, I like the game but creativity with names is not the strength

@Balsa.3951 said:

Very embarrassing....

Dragon Watch ---- Night Watch (game of Thrones)

I guess you're unaware but the name of out Story guild, Dragon's Watch was chosen by players via a community vote.We were given 3 different names to choose from.The other options were, The Unbroken and Eternity's Guard.

Also when u compare all the humor dialogue the game got in compare to before u noticed a style change to the popular marvel humor.

Gw2's always had a childish sense of humour even in the personal story there were some good laughs so I don't really see much in the way of a "style change" as you put it regarding humour.. it's still pretty childish at times but still funny.If anything the game has gotten slightly more mature and a bit darker over the years which imo was a big positive from the more kiddy friendly way this game started out.. everyone was far too happy and vanilla and cheesy back in the early days of the game.. something I think Anet has remedied quite a lot over time.

I don't see the big deal. I'm sure there's been lots of stories with 'end' in the name, especially in long-running series. For a start there's 'Zone of the Enders' where the franchase name includes end, and the next-to-last book in the 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' series is called 'The End'. If it wasn't for the fact that I saw a bunch of game developers on Twitter talking about it I'd never have thought twice about two game expansions with 'end' in the name being announced several months apart.

Very embarrassing....

In addition to the points already made there's never been anything called 'End of Jedi'. There was a movie called The Last Jedi and I suppose it's possible the name in another langauge could be directly translated into English as 'End of (the) Jedi' but that would be a very vague link. (Heart of Thorns and Game of Thrones is a pretty vague link too. Ok it's the same format - something of something else, but there must be hundreds of variations of that. I know some people mix them up and call the expansion Heart of Thrones, but that's just a typo, likely a result of auto-correct software.)

@"Teratus.2859" said:Gw2's always had a childish sense of humour even in the personal story there were some good laughs so I don't really see much in the way of a "style change" as you put it regarding humour.. it's still pretty childish at times but still funny.If anything the game has gotten slightly more mature and a bit darker over the years which imo was a big positive from the more kiddy friendly way this game started out.. everyone was far too happy and vanilla and cheesy back in the early days of the game.. something I think Anet has remedied quite a lot over time.

Not just GW2. The first game was full of jokes and pop-culture references. Amongst other things the entire 'God Walking Among Mere Mortals' title track is a reference to an absurd speech in the movie Anchor Man and there's a quest based on Snakes of a Plane, where your reward is a scythe shaped like a banana, which is itself a reference to a Monty Python sketch.

Very embarrassing....

If it ain't broken then don't fix it. Heart of Thorn was a very apt name for an expansion about a jungle dragon.As is Game of Thrones for a show about political power play with the crown.That they happen to sound similar doesn't really mean anything. In fact, you could even argue that having a name that sounds semi-similar to a popular ip makes the name more likable.

@Fenom.9457 said:

Very embarrassing....

There is no Star Wars movie or show called “End of Jedi”

watch the movie the last Jedi they repeat many times the sentence about end of Jedi

they Jedi must end ///this is the end of the Jedi repeated to death in the movie

also, u have Avengers Endgame

anyway it's not a so big topic I want to discuss on forever HF

@Oxstar.7643 said:

Very embarrassing....

If it ain't broken then don't fix it. Heart of Thorn was a very apt name for an expansion about a jungle dragon.As is Game of Thrones for a show about political power play with the crown.That they happen to sound similar doesn't really mean anything. In fact, you could even argue that having a name that sounds semi-similar to a popular ip makes the name more likable.

Yes thats my point by choosing a well known beloved name Anet can profit from it.Its like when a Popular movie trend comes out there are many cheap productions with similar name to ride on the wave of interest.

@Balsa.3951 said:

Very embarrassing....

watch the movie the last Jedi they repeat many times the sentence about end of Jedi

they Jedi must end ///this is the end of the Jedi repeated to death in the movie

So you’re saying a theme of an unrelated movie is about ending, and another separate movies uses the word “end”, so guild war 2 now cannot use the word or concept of ending?

@Fenom.9457 said:

Very embarrassing....

So you’re saying a theme of an unrelated movie is about ending, and another separate movies uses the word “end”, so guild war 2 now cannot use the word or concept of ending?

its called cultural reference if a movie uses a certain phrase over and over again it becomes a trademark

Cowabanga ( i spell wrong from the ninja mutant hero turtles) and later another filmmaker makes a movie called cowabanga ninjas its clearly relatedu cant avoid people can see a connection of a blockbuster success and a game with a similar name which comes out a short while after that.(developing time included)

Worldwar Zanother movie names itself Worldwar G

u see its quite easy to copy without make it look like copy, ya I disagree as well

anyway topic is boring

@"Mikael Ekvall.6039" said:Both Guild Wars 2 and FFXIV have up coming expansions hinting som kind of End (and a new start). End of dragons and Endwalker. Both companies have clarified that this not the End for the actual game but for a story or part of it. I think it is a bit funny that both have chosen a name for their expansion that indicate and "End". Also funny that they in interviews have to explain that they are not shutting down the game ?

In both cases those expansions are meant to be a closing of a long story arc spanning the base game and all previous expansions, so using the world "end" is justified. And at least for FF XIV, the explanations of it not being an actual end have absolutely no connnection to the expansion title (seeing as they were given before that title was even revealed), but due to a certain quote in one of the post-Shadowbringers patches' storylines that mentioned setting forth into "a final chapter in the tale of this star".

So, generally, a coincidence. Which may or may not be funny, depending on your idea of fun.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Balsa.3951" said:Lack of creativity and self-confidenceEnd of Dragons/ End of JediHeart of Thorns / Game of Thrones

Very embarrassing....

Yes, comparing "Heart of Thorns" with "Game of Thrones", which have nothing in common cotent- and namewise,
is
a bit embarrasing. ;)

Except we're fighting white walkers right now in the story lol

@Balsa.3951 said:

@Balsa.3951 said:Except we're fighting white walkers right now in the story lol

Yes, but this isn't HoT but the Icebrood Saga, sooo... ;) Also, frozen Ryland isn't nearly as scary as the Night King. :p

u turning pesos now, and the night king is JormagSo, the Night King was a lady that was threatening you by being able to talk you to death. Duly noted.

...seriously, you're grasping at straws at this point.

@"Mikael Ekvall.6039" said:Both Guild Wars 2 and FFXIV have up coming expansions hinting som kind of End (and a new start). End of dragons and Endwalker. Both companies have clarified that this not the End for the actual game but for a story or part of it. I think it is a bit funny that both have chosen a name for their expansion that indicate and "End". Also funny that they in interviews have to explain that they are not shutting down the game ?

Both "Heart of Thorns" and "Path of Fire" were pretty bland names, but "End of Dragons" is bad, like, really bad. Just a few better alternatives, with zero knowledge of what the expansion might be about:

• Empire of the Dragon (my favorite expansion title for Cantha, it's a synonym for the "Empire of Cantha", and also a double reference for dragons)
  • The Great Wave (wave of water, wave of enemies)
  • Empire of the Tides (a combination of the first two, also linked to celestials, since tides are tied to the moon)
  • The Celestial Empire (similar angle, but focusing on celestials directly).
  • Black Tides (back to water only)
  • Dragonstorm (simple and to the point, still a bit too generic)

Just a few examples.

Yeah It's a bit strange to think the End of Dragons wouldn't be the end of GW2 since it's whole focus has been dragons for it's entire existence.But I think that's the point, There's only so many dragons we can go trough and after so many years I think it'll be nice to move on to something different in terms of story.

@"Lonami.2987" said:Just a few better alternatives, with zero knowledge of what the expansion might be about:

Not only are your cool / edgy "better alternatives" completely subjective. You also hit the nail on the head as to why they are likely inappropriate for the title. You have 0 knowledge of what the expansion is about. Both titles are directly linked to the story as pointed out earlier in this thread.

@Solanum.6983 said:Yeah It's a bit strange to think the End of Dragons wouldn't be the end of GW2 since it's whole focus has been dragons for it's entire existence.But I think that's the point, There's only so many dragons we can go trough and after so many years I think it'll be nice to move on to something different in terms of story.

As we've known since before the game came out there were 'only' 6 elder dragons we also knew it would only be a matter of time until the story had gone through all of them and they were dead/asleep again/otherwise pacified and no longer a threat. The only other possibility is that something would cause the game to shut down before it got to that point.

Admittedly there have been times, especially during Season 1 when we didn't know what Scarlet's plan actually was, when some players thought Anet had either abandoned the Elder Dragons storyline early or somehow forgotten they existed and moved on to other things while the dragons were still around. I suppose that's why in later storylines they always made sure to include the dragons and keep on bringing them up, even when another threat was the priority (like in PoF). But it does mean it seems strange now that we're coming to the end of the dragon storyline. (Especially since it's taken longer than expected, I remember early expectations were we'd deal with 1 dragon per year, with 2012 as the first since Zhaitan is defeated in the base game, so we'd be done with them in 2017 and then something else would take their place.)

I have to admit I'm actually more excited about what will come after EoD than for the expansion itself. With the return to Cantha (which I assume will cover at least parts of all the areas we visited in GW1, and hopefully some new bits too) and the end of the Elder Dragon storyline they're going to have to move on to parts of the world we haven't yet seen and maybe threats we currently know little/nothing about. The prospect of places and things totally new to us is quite exciting for me, although I do want to find out what happens to the remaining Elder Dragons first, and how we handle the problems caused by their massive amounts of magical energy.

• 4 weeks later...

@Solanum.6983 said:Yeah It's a bit strange to think the End of Dragons wouldn't be the end of GW2 since it's whole focus has been dragons for it's entire existence.But I think that's the point, There's only so many dragons we can go trough and after so many years I think it'll be nice to move on to something different in terms of story.

The same can be said about FFXIV. The story, since the initial release of A Realm Reborn in 2012, has always been about two Gods: Hydaelyn and Zodiark (think of them as the two most powerful omnipotent beings in the lore, kinda like dragons in GW2), as well as the Warrior of Light (the player character), and the Ascians (the main antagonists of the story). All of that is going away after Endwalker. It's very much the end of the Hydaelyn/Zodiark storyline. The first major patch of Endwalker will be a completely brand new narrative that will span multiple expansions yet to come.

I'm really hoping it's a similar deal for GW2. The game started with the Elder Dragons at its core. But it doesn't mean that the Elder Dragons is where the universe ends. It's time for them to finish the Elder Dragons' plotline and expand the lore beyond the boundaries of that singular threat.