Anet doesnt realize how big of a goldmine they have with outfit skins

Arena Net seem like they dont realize how big of a Goldmine they have with the Outfit skins. The potential to split of the outfites and sell the individual parts as Armor skins on the Gem Store is huge!!!

If I can see that I dont see why Anet doesnt see this.I want more armor skins like there are Weapon Skins in the game from Black Lion Trader Post. Come on. You sitting on a Goldmine. Whats it going to take for you all to see this?

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:You can find the answer in the plethora of threads addressing this 'suggestion' via the 'Search' feature.

Good luck.

Hope you not talking about the Clippings Argument. Come on, thats a load. You and I know that. Lots of skins already clip.thats not stopping anybody. Shoot thats basic life as a Charr pretty much.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Arena Net seem like they dont realize how big of a Goldmine they have with the Outfit skins.They release them often; it would seem as if they do realize.

The potential to split of the outfites and sell the individual parts as Armor skins on the Gem Store is huge!!!Not possible.Outfits are a goldmine because they are less costly to design because they are onesies; by definition, they are not made of individual parts that can be sold separately. Creating an armor set (or even pieces that match) requires a lot of the same work needed for any armor design.

I want more armor skins like there are Weapon Skins in the game from Black Lion Trader Post. Come on. You sitting on a Goldmine. Whats it going to take for you all to see this?There are all sorts of reasons that weapons are easier to deliver: they aren't customized per race or gender, they aren't dyed, they don't have to mix & match with other weapons, etc.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Hope you not talking about the Clippings Argument. Come on, thats a load. You and I know that. Lots of skins already clip.thats not stopping anybody. Shoot thats basic life as a Charr pretty much.

In fact, it's a fact that the reason we have so little clipping in the game is that the designers spend a ton of time reducing it. Sometimes, they intentionally (or accidentally) allow some clipping, as the benefit from further design changes starts to diminish relative to the cost. A number of the devs have spoken and written about this over the years.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Arena Net seem like they dont realize how big of a Goldmine they have with the Outfit skins.They release them often; it would seem as if they do realize.

The potential to split of the outfites and sell the individual parts as Armor skins on the Gem Store is huge!!!Not possible.Outfits are a goldmine because they are less costly to design
because
they are onesies; by definition, they are not made of individual parts that can be sold separately. Creating an armor set (or even pieces that match) requires a lot of the same work needed for any armor design.

I want more armor skins like there are Weapon Skins in the game from Black Lion Trader Post. Come on. You sitting on a Goldmine. Whats it going to take for you all to see this?There are all sorts of reasons that weapons are easier to deliver: they aren't customized per race or gender, they aren't dyed, they don't have to mix & match with other weapons, etc.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Hope you not talking about the Clippings Argument. Come on, thats a load. You and I know that. Lots of skins already clip.thats not stopping anybody. Shoot thats basic life as a Charr pretty much.

In fact, it's a fact that the reason we have so little clipping in the game is that the designers spend a ton of time reducing it. Sometimes, they intentionally (or accidentally) allow some clipping, as the benefit from further design changes starts to diminish relative to the cost. A number of the devs have spoken and written about this over the years.

So little? Almost everything clippa with charr lol

Considering how often they get told on the forums how much money they could make if outfits were armor and how easy it is to do, I’m going to guess they already know these opinions. I’m also going to guess based on their non response and based on previous posts where they discussed the costs and difficulties of making armor, that converting outfits to armor it isn’t as easy or as profitable as some individuals may think.

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

The potential to split of the outfites and sell the individual parts as Armor skins on the Gem Store is huge!!!Not possible.Outfits are a goldmine because they are less costly to design
because
they are onesies; by definition, they are not made of individual parts that can be sold separately. Creating an armor set (or even pieces that match) requires a lot of the same work needed for any armor design.

It's okay, charr are probably the least-played race, so they don't actually have to worry about doing anything about it.

goes and cries in the corner

@NanoEliteSixSixSix.8935 said:

because

It's okay, charr are probably the least-played race, so they don't actually have to worry about doing anything about it.

It's absolutely not O.K. Especially since they dont offer race changes. All those terrible clipping and ill fitting armor is probably the reason why they are the least played race.

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

because

It's absolutely not O.K. Especially since they dont offer race changes. All those terrible clipping and ill fitting armor is probably the reason why they are the least played race.

Patch 5.x.ahbd

Charr can be customized to stand upright with shorter neck now with use of Character customization kit.

/RocketscienceInGW2

The clipping issue really only highlights how big of a mistake it was to make Gw2 a multi playble race game.. specially when you factor in how completely irrelevant your race and decisions becomes after you join one of the 3 orders in the personal story.

Once the story merged into the orders those story choices diminished from 5 different races to 3 different orders .. and later on they all merged into a single Pact story ark and then into a progressing story where your race and previous creation choices mean utterly nothing.

Don't get me wrong.. I get why Anet did this but if they had predicted it they could have saved themselves a lot of time, effort and money keeping Gw2 a single playable race game like the original.Gw2 could have been pretty different.. personal story could have been pretty different and maybe better as a result, and there certainly wouldn't be a need to hire and bring back 10 different PC voice actors per every living world release.

This only further highlighted by the fact that each race has no special features or traits.. race skills being little more than a joke or novelty rather than a viable alternative to your class skills, again get why Anet did it but it still proves my point that having multiple playable races was a mistake.

I know a lot of people don't like that opinion and they may even feel like Gw2 wouldn't a game they'd care for if they couldn't play as an Asura or Charr or Norn etc..But if Anet only had to make armor for a single class/frame, only had to write the PC from the perspective of a single race, only had to hire 2 voice acters and bring them back for living world.Content would likely be coming out much quicker and the Pc wouldn't be so much of a generic blank slate which has long been a criticism people have had, which is largely due to how the PC has to be written to incorporate all 5 races and can't differ much if at all in conversation.. even though there is a blatantly obvious personality shift between each different race.

Should the time come when a Gw3 comes around, I do hope Anet reconsiders going back to a single playable race, just to save themselves a lot of hastle..Or at the very least make each race unique enough to warrant having..They could do that in Gw2 to if they just made racial skills viable in exclusively open world PvE.. or reworked them into special f6-0 abilities to give each race a little unique element that can be played with.. I know a lot of Norn players would love to be able to utalize their animal form into their normal buid even if it were only cosmetic.It's a defining powerful aspect of their race in the lore, yet the commander, one of their races greatest heroes.. never uses it.

@Teratus.2859 said:The clipping issue really only highlights how big of a mistake it was to make Gw2 a multi playble race game.. specially when you factor in how completely irrelevant your race and decisions becomes after you join one of the 3 orders in the personal story.

Once the story merged into the orders those story choices diminished from 5 different races to 3 different orders .. and later on they all merged into a single Pact story ark and then into a progressing story where your race and previous creation choices mean utterly nothing.

Don't get me wrong.. I get why Anet did this but if they had predicted it they could have saved themselves a lot of time, effort and money keeping Gw2 a single playable race game like the original.Gw2 could have been pretty different.. personal story could have been pretty different and maybe better as a result, and there certainly wouldn't be a need to hire and bring back 10 different PC voice actors per every living world release.

This only further highlighted by the fact that each race has no special features or traits.. race skills being little more than a joke or novelty rather than a viable alternative to your class skills, again get why Anet did it but it still proves my point that having multiple playable races was a mistake.

I know a lot of people don't like that opinion and they may even feel like Gw2 wouldn't a game they'd care for if they couldn't play as an Asura or Charr or Norn etc..But if Anet only had to make armor for a single class/frame, only had to write the PC from the perspective of a single race, only had to hire 2 voice acters and bring them back for living world.Content would likely be coming out much quicker and the Pc wouldn't be so much of a generic blank slate which has long been a criticism people have had, which is largely due to how the PC has to be written to incorporate all 5 races and can't differ much if at all in conversation.. even though there is a blatantly obvious personality shift between each different race.

Should the time come when a Gw3 comes around, I do hope Anet reconsiders going back to a single playable race, just to save themselves a lot of hastle..Or at the very least make each race unique enough to warrant having..They could do that in Gw2 to if they just made racial skills viable in exclusively open world PvE.. or reworked them into special f6-0 abilities to give each race a little unique element that can be played with.. I know a lot of Norn players would love to be able to utalize their animal form into their normal buid even if it were only cosmetic.It's a defining powerful aspect of their race in the lore, yet the commander, one of their races greatest heroes.. never uses it.

Some games fix this by simply having every race have their own specific classes that no other race can do. You can then adapt the specific gear and stats to every race without worrying as much about these issues.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Considering how often they get told on the forums how much money they could make if outfits were armor and how easy it is to do, I’m going to guess they already know these opinions. I’m also going to guess based on their non response and based on previous posts where they discussed the costs and difficulties of making armor, that converting outfits to armor it isn’t as easy or as profitable as some individuals may think.

It probably is not. Same with mixing armor pieces with different weight value. There is probably some engine limitation.

I think the issue has to do more of unexpected costs. Between clipping and possible graphical glitches. This could open Pandora's box, and they do not know what they will find. Sometimes, trying to add value, may end-up serving a not well polished product. And that taints the quality of all of your work.

But the question remains, why were not these issues thought of at the game's creation? I mean, assuming the work was done between 2007-2011, the MMO genera was well established to know that people like to wear any gear they want on specific character and like to mix and match as they see fit. No one wants to be use the same exact outfit everyone uses. There is a reason why most people do not use outfits.

I'd be very interested to see something such as the headpieces from some of the outfits sold separately.... I feel some of them would work quite well with little to no clipping issues..... (worth a try ANET.... could bring you more $$ if you chose the right ones.....). =)

@otto.5684 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Considering how often they get told on the forums how much money they could make if outfits were armor and how easy it is to do, I’m going to guess they already know these opinions. I’m also going to guess based on their non response and based on previous posts where they discussed the costs and difficulties of making armor, that converting outfits to armor it isn’t as easy or as profitable as some individuals may think.

It probably is not. Same with mixing armor pieces with different weight value. There is probably some engine limitation.

The different weights are, per ANet, “fundamentally incompatible.” It’s my understanding that the problem with mixing different weights is that the different weights don’t attach to the char at the same places. Combining pieces where attachments cross each other causes major problems with clipping. Reportedly the character turning inside out is one consequence.

I think the issue has to do more of unexpected costs. Between clipping and possible graphical glitches. This could open Pandora's box, and they do not know what they will find. Sometimes, trying to add value, may end-up serving a not well polished product. And that taints the quality of all of your work.

They have said that armor is one of the most expensive items they make, both in time (up to 3 months to make one weight) and effort. They’ve said that it is complicated and needs to be created with many considerations in mind.

Outfits are onesies with different attachments and not designed with armor seams in mind. This means they can’t easily be cut into the 3 different weights with their different seams (example: where the chest cuts off for medium vs heavy vs light) and would have to remade with the appropriate seams for each weight, the attachments, and any other considerations. If they have to be completely remade to become armor then there is very little to no savings in converting outfits to armor.

But the question remains, why were not these issues thought of at the game's creation? I mean, assuming the work was done between 2007-2011, the MMO genera was well established to know that people like to wear any gear they want on specific character and like to mix and match as they see fit.

Well, yes. Decisions were made at that time they thought was good. Apparently they wanted a hard line between appearances of the 3 different weights so they set the weights up to be unmixable, and imo they didn’t anticipate that the game would turn into fashion wars.

No one wants to be use the same exact outfit everyone uses. There is a reason why most people do not use outfits.

If outfits didn’t sell well and make ANet money they wouldn’t be pushing them out as fast as they do.

No one wants to be use the same exact outfit everyone uses.The huge numbers of people who buy identical winged backpacks whenever a new color goes on sale would like to talk with you. When they're done, those who get the latest MountFits on day 1 are also interested in this topic.

Plus, honestly, I see people wearing the exact same armor sets all the time anyhow. For all the different skins available, a lot of people end up using just a tiny fraction.

I agree with the sentiment: I'd like more options for individual taste and "unique" looks. I just don't see it as realistic.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

because

Patch 5.x.ahbd

Charr can be customized to stand upright with shorter neck now with use of Character customization kit.

/RocketscienceInGW2

I like my charr just the way they are already - see what I did there.../equal and opposite reactions #science

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

No one wants to be use the same exact outfit everyone uses.The huge numbers of people who buy identical winged backpacks whenever a new color goes on sale would like to talk with you. When they're done, those who get the latest MountFits on day 1 are also interested in this topic.

Plus, honestly, I see people wearing the exact same armor sets all the time anyhow. For all the different skins available, a lot of people end up using just a tiny fraction.

I agree with the sentiment: I'd like more options for individual taste and "unique" looks. I just don't see it as realistic.

Lets not forget all those nice shiny eyes we get to stare with :astonished:

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:Arena Net seem like they dont realize how big of a Goldmine they have with the Outfit skins. The potential to split of the outfites and sell the individual parts as Armor skins on the Gem Store is huge!!!

If I can see that I dont see why Anet doesnt see this.I want more armor skins like there are Weapon Skins in the game from Black Lion Trader Post. Come on. You sitting on a Goldmine. Whats it going to take for you all to see this?

Creating individual pieces makes them “armor”. Outfits are less resource and time intensive to produce.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4uqx15/out_of_the_shadows_devs_here_ask_us_anything/d5s52tj

“Armor sets are by far the most expensive reward we can make. A full set includes heavy, medium, light, times five races, times two sexes, so it’s like developing 30 sets. It takes nine months to develop. (That’s for a normal armor set — legendary is much longer.) It’s not something we can do for Living World episodes. Individual pieces are good rewards for Living World episodes; full sets are more something for expansion packs.”

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Arena Net seem like they dont realize how big of a Goldmine they have with the Outfit skins.No of course not... the people who know and understand the cost and effort involved in making these things in the first place... the people's who's livelihoods depend on this game... the people who have all the data on just what sells and what doesn't... they just have no clue.Good thing you are here to remind them.