Skyscale quality of life is one thing

3 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

You know i found out this was bunkum tonight doing jahai. Went to kill the Djinn in the brandstorm southeast of the villiage wp. You know the guy that jumps from platform to platform. Once he got all the way over to the furthest platform I couldnt make the jump on my raptor. Landed down in the brandstorm and couldnt bunny up had to go all the way around to the village bunny the mountains to get back to his platform. he was dead the chest was not there for me and no achievement. Everyone had skyscales and just flew across to him, except me and another guy. We both got screwed.

Nothing beats the ease of a skyscale. i know I have an account with it and one without. So hey go do the map events and metas a couple of days without you skyscale, then come back.

Skyscale is sure easy but it won’t beat proper usage of the other mounts in most cases. I’ve done the metas numerous times while I farmed the map currencies for the skyscale. I had zero issues keeping up with players. As for your issue with the Djinn, you probably should have used a combination of the Griffon and Springer. 

On 9/24/2021 at 10:38 PM, Narathkor.8541 said:

I could agree with that, Gliding only in Hots and associated season maps, gliding + mounts in PoF and associated seaon maps and anything in the future where mounts were considered, and disable both in core tyria where mounts and gliding were not a thought at all, I could get behind this.

No, thanks.  If you wish to have the core experience, then don't skip ahead and unlock mounts right away.  I have to imagine most players prefer mounted life to unmounted life!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

You know i found out this was bunkum tonight doing jahai. Went to kill the Djinn in the brandstorm southeast of the villiage wp. You know the guy that jumps from platform to platform. Once he got all the way over to the furthest platform I couldnt make the jump on my raptor. Landed down in the brandstorm and couldnt bunny up had to go all the way around to the village bunny the mountains to get back to his platform. he was dead the chest was not there for me and no achievement. Everyone had skyscales and just flew across to him, except me and another guy. We both got screwed.

Nothing beats the ease of a skyscale. i know I have an account with it and one without. So hey go do the map events and metas a couple of days without you skyscale, then come back.

The skyscale is great, but in this situation you would have been better off if you had used charge jump on the springer, use bond of faith at peak elevation, then switch over to the griffon.  Depending upon the terrain/distance, this can even be faster than the skyscale.  Raptor can also cover fairly long distances if you use bond of faith during canyon leap. 

Not to detract from the skyscale.  It's definitely the most versatile mount and it's great for covering short-medium distances over difficult terrain.  But I still use raptor, beetle, and griffon on a regular basis since unlocking the skyscale.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

No, thanks.  If you wish to have the core experience, then don't skip ahead and unlock mounts right away.  I have to imagine most players prefer mounted life to unmounted life!

I did everything post-HoT in order when I came back to the game (while everyone else had mounts &c. already) and it was great. Never felt left behind because I was doing story and map completion anyway. And most map metas don't actually involve nearly as much overland movement as Drizzlewood (which I think we're all used to because it was *the* map meta to grind for special rewards for a long time).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ASP.8093 said:

I did everything post-HoT in order when I came back to the game (while everyone else had mounts &c. already) and it was great. Never felt left behind because I was doing story and map completion anyway. And most map metas don't actually involve nearly as much overland movement as Drizzlewood (which I think we're all used to because it was *the* map meta to grind for special rewards for a long time).

That's perfectly fine.  I started playing when HoT released, so I didn't have mounts for that either.  It was great!  With mounts?  Even better!

3 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

The skyscale is great, but in this situation you would have been better off if you had used charge jump on the springer, use bond of faith at peak elevation, then switch over to the griffon.  Depending upon the terrain/distance, this can even be faster than the skyscale.  Raptor can also cover fairly long distances if you use bond of faith during canyon leap. 

Not to detract from the skyscale.  It's definitely the most versatile mount and it's great for covering short-medium distances over difficult terrain.  But I still use raptor, beetle, and griffon on a regular basis since unlocking the skyscale.

I think he could not bunny up because of aggro and/or the brandstorm hitting him.  As for the brandstorm "aggro", when you keep trying you will eventually mount up, but it sure is annoying.  As for not being able to mount when you have aggro, that could be a debate on its own.  I do not really see need for this in PvE, it is not as if the game is more challenging or exiting when you can not mount up to lose pesky agressors; it's only annoying.  Some say that players could then train mobs to others when they flee on their mount, but I think mobs would lose aggro much faster on a mount(and stop following) then when you simply run away on foot.  

Edited by Tyncale.1629
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

I think he could not bunny up because of aggro and/or the brandstorm hitting him.  As for the brandstorm "aggro", when you keep trying you will eventually mount up, but it sure is annoying.  As for not being able to mount when you have aggro, that could be a debate on its own.  I do not really see need for this in PvE, it is not as if the game is more challenging or exiting when you can not mount up to lose pesky agressors; it's only annoying.  Some say that players could then train mobs to others when they flee on their mount, but I think mobs would lose aggro much faster on a mount(and stop following) then when you simply run away on foot.  

He used the raptor first, so the brandstorm was only striking after he fell short on the leap.  The better play would have been to fly over it with the griffon.  Starting with springer + bond of faith is to gain altitude so you can use the griffon dive for better speed.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

That's perfectly fine.  I started playing when HoT released, so I didn't have mounts for that either.  It was great!  With mounts?  Even better!

Oh, 100%! Mounts make revisiting those old maps a lot more fun. I'm just saying, the whole premise of the thread, that I lost something by not having the mounts when other people did, is really untrue.

12 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

I'm kinda surprised at this coming up.

I did this event recently for the Return achievement alongside my son who doesn't have skyscale or griffon. At first I was worried as most of the people there mounted up on skyscales to move between platforms. I felt bad for him, and was worried about him keeping up.

He would arrive at the Djinn, though, a few seconds after the rest of us, and get to fight in each phase. Definitely wasn't as easy for him, but he didn't seem to feel left out at all.

The only thing we've given up on due to him not having skyscale are the post-Dragonfall meta champions. People zoom around the map and kill those so fast there's no keeping up without skyscale. It is the skyscale map, so I guess that makes a kind of sense.

Edited by Gibson.4036

15 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

The only thing we've given up on due to him not having skyscale are the post-Dragonfall meta champions. People zoom around the map and kill those so fast there's no keeping up without skyscale. It is the skyscale map, so I guess that makes a kind of sense.

If you have the shrines open, sometimes you can teleport closer without having to use a skyscale.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

If you have the shrines open, sometimes you can teleport closer without having to use a skyscale.

Good to note. I haven't used them much. I was also wondering if it would be able to pick up skyscales along the way. I believe there's a pickup spot at the chests, so you can at least get to the first champ once the train leaves. I don't know the map well enough to know if you could grab more after each fight.

2 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

If he got Griffon then he’d be able to keep up just fine and may even be one of the first ones there. The only champ he’d have difficulty with is one of the hydra ones where skyscale is technically quicker to get to with everyone else needing a portal up or hoping someone with roller beetle opens the tunnel so people can get up from the back side. 

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

If he got Griffon then he’d be able to keep up just fine and may even be one of the first ones there. The only champ he’d have difficulty with is one of the hydra ones where skyscale is technically quicker to get to with everyone else needing a portal up or hoping someone with roller beetle opens the tunnel so people can get up from the back side. 

He's more likely to grind out the skyscale than scrape together 250 for the griffon, but on the whole we're not worried about the dragonfall meta after-champions. I bring it up mostly to point out that so far in our experience it's the exception that proves the rule. The vast majority of stuff doesn't need a skyscale at all.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 5:40 AM, Narathkor.8541 said:

You mean like buy all of the expansions and use your instant 80 and do the first missions of hot and pof so you have gliding and a raptor in your first hour or two of play? 

See, I didn't even think like that 🙂 Oh well, had I known I could do that, and I didn't, because I didn't know those were rewards, I would have wanted to play it through first time properly anyway as I would want to follow the story as it was intended.

On 9/27/2021 at 5:20 AM, AliamRationem.5172 said:

He used the raptor first, so the brandstorm was only striking after he fell short on the leap.  The better play would have been to fly over it with the griffon.  Starting with springer + bond of faith is to gain altitude so you can use the griffon dive for better speed.

Maybe dont have griffon/shrug

Edited by Tiviana.2650

On 9/27/2021 at 11:09 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

I'm kinda surprised at this coming up.

I did this event recently for the Return achievement alongside my son who doesn't have skyscale or griffon. At first I was worried as most of the people there mounted up on skyscales to move between platforms. I felt bad for him, and was worried about him keeping up.

He would arrive at the Djinn, though, a few seconds after the rest of us, and get to fight in each phase. Definitely wasn't as easy for him, but he didn't seem to feel left out at all.

I can’t get to the post event champions sometimes even riding the skyscale before they are dead,  them champions need more health because no one knows how to take it easy and let people arrive before they blow them up 🥴

maybe it’s not such a problem when it’s not the return to event as I haven’t played the meta there very many times but last night by the time I could see the chest to loot them through all the people and got in route to the champion it was already dead I’d have to skip looting the chest to make it to the next one…..

Edited by Grimlineman.6759

1 hour ago, Dami.5046 said:

Ho hum, this is turning into a warclaw thread isn't it? Nerfed that so god dammed hard you might as well just run in wvw. Total waste. almost Useless mount. 

As someone who just joined WvW a few weeks ago and went through getting the Warclaw, it's not at all useless. Yes, it feels glacially slow compared to the rest of the mounts in the game (I wonder if it would tie with Skimmer on land), but it is definitely faster than running.

If you are fortunate to find a group sharing speed boosts (through Warclaw or other), you can keep up on foot. Otherwise, there's no way.

34 minutes ago, Grimlineman.6759 said:

I can’t get to the post event champions sometimes even riding the skyscale before they are dead,  them champions need more health because no one knows how to take it easy and let people arrive before they blow them up 🥴

maybe it’s not such a problem when it’s not the return to event as I haven’t played the meta there very many times but last night by the time I could see the chest to loot them through all the people and got in route to the champion it was already dead I’d have to skip looting the chest to make it to the next one…..

That is an excellent point. You need to be right on whoever is leading the charge, and keep laser focused, even with Skyscale. It would make sense to boost the post-meta Champs HP some.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Drizzlewood, right?  Use parachutes to get close to event champs?

No, he is talking about the Champs in Dragonfall after the Meta is over.  Would love to parachute in Dragonfall too though, like he said, chasing the blob can even be a nuisance with a Skyscale.  Also, the chutes makes me use the Griffon more. 🙂

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

No, he is talking about the Champs in Dragonfall after the Meta is over.  Would love to parachute in Dragonfall too though, like he said, chasing the blob can even be a nuisance with a Skyscale.  Also, the chutes makes me use the Griffon more. 🙂

Ah, ok.  There are shrines in Dragonfall that can help one get closer.