Punch in the gut.

Lucky.4263

I'm sure this isn't the first time you regulars heard this but just returned to the game bought the expansion and I'm now at a crossroads spend weeks maybe months farming gold or pay another $50 for the other half of the game (living world). I was so excited to get back into the game and this just sapped all motivation. Ill prob just end up buying it but man this is a sour feeling.

• Like 5
  • Confused 5

It's only a punch in the gut if you don't look at the big picture. The big picture is this game is a non-pay to win game without a subscription or optional subscription.

Pretty much six months of any other AAA MMO will get you what you get for Guild Wars 2 including the expansion that's not out yet. I don't see how that's a punch in the gut.

And some of that stuff you'll be getting free this week and in upcoming weeks. Now look at it from a player who's been here all along.

I've never paid a penny for a living world episode ever. I get them for free by logging into the game when they're active. There isn't a more generous MMORPG out there, period.  Sure it seems bad when you're looking at it from the details but when you look  at the big picture it's actually pretty generous.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 4

season 4 and icebrood saga is coming...

what you might need to buy.

season 2 compelte pack

season 3 complete pack

season 4 first two chapter..

they cost roughly 2.4k gem.  which translate to about..800 gold..  it is a tedious grind..or you can wait until the next time they hand them out for free.........seem to happen every once a while..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, decease.3215 said:

season 4 and icebrood saga is coming...

what you might need to buy.

season 2 compelte pack

season 3 complete pack

season 4 first two chapter..

they cost roughly 2.4k gem.  which translate to about..800 gold..  it is a tedious grind..or you can wait until the next time they hand them out for free.........seem to happen every once a while..

I actually got the first episode logged in that week to setup key bindings. I guess Season 2 and 3 are an easier pill to swallow only issue is my season 2 is bugged so even after buying it still cant play it. Says "Item is Purchased but not enabled on your account. Please. Contact costumer support" odd

3 minutes ago, Lucky.4263 said:

I actually got the first episode logged in that week to setup key bindings. I guess Season 2 and 3 are an easier pill to swallow only issue is my season 2 is bugged so even after buying it still cant play it. Says "Item is Purchased but not enabled on your account. Please. Contact costumer support" odd

Have you tried contacting customer support?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Lucky.4263 said:

I actually got the first episode logged in that week to setup key bindings. I guess Season 2 and 3 are an easier pill to swallow only issue is my season 2 is bugged so even after buying it still cant play it. Says "Item is Purchased but not enabled on your account. Please. Contact costumer support" odd.

Then...contact the support? 

Season 4 is the most relevant tbh, for mounts. 

As @decease.3215said already, its around 800 Gold,  since u got lw4 1-2 chapters already its maybe over 60-100 Gold less (i dont know the current prices). Thats a while of farming, maybe 1 months if u cant play often but still farm for it actively. But lw2 and lw3 include Story and i dont think u have to hurry about that. 

some farm trains give 30g per hour which means u can get to 800 gold pretty fast if u can play a lot.

Edited by SeTect.5918

4 minutes ago, SeTect.5918 said:

Then...contact the support? 

Season 4 is the most relevant tbh, for mounts. 

As @decease.3215said already, its around 800 Gold,  since u got lw4 few chaptersalreadyits maybe over 60-100 Gold less (i dont know the current prices). Thats a while of farming, maybe 1 months if u cant play often but still farm for it actively. But lw2 and lw3 include Story and i dont think u have to hurry about that. 

some farm trains give 30g per hour which means u can get to 800 gold pretty fast if u can play a lot.

Yes I contacted support. I only mentioned it just incase someone knew what the issue was.

I'm not a grinder. only have few hrs a day to play was just salty about the extra fee's. What I don't get from the logins over the next few months I will buy. 

Just now, Lucky.4263 said:

Yes I contacted support. I only mentioned it just incase someone knew what the issue was.

I'm not a grinder. only have few hrs a day to play was just salty about the extra fee's. What I don't get from the logins over the next few months I will buy. 

Ah i see, so i guess they also didnt answer yet. Well normally it doesnt take that long until they answer, maybe a half day up to 2 days if u r veeeery unlucky. 

Well for the thing with the lw2 and lw3 there r like...4?...options:

1. You Grind a lot of days and get them fast, requires playing a lot.

2. You play some weeks and get them slowly, requires saving your gold instead of Spending it on other stuff u maybe want. And requires Patience. 

3. Waiting months to get them for free because there will maybe be a similar thing like there is atm.

4. You buy them with real money.

I think that r the options you have...its on u which one you choose...they all dont look very friendly i know. 😂

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Yes~, that topic has come up many times. It is quite confusingly regulated.
I was lucky enough to have started again when they started giving out all the episodes again for free.

But I still don't understand why there is no compact package from the beginning. No instead they write it strangely in the fine print ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Yes~, that topic has come up many times. It is quite confusingly regulated.
I was lucky enough to have started again when they started giving out all the episodes again for free.

But I still don't understand why there is no compact package from the beginning. No instead they write it strangely in the fine print ...

I agree. I was here for the first Living world so I know how they play out pretty much and I know they have very important story chunks in them. For new players the living world thing has to be wholly confusing and if you choose to ignore it you missed out on a lot of story and have huge plot holes in the expansion questlines, It's like going to the movies watching the beginning and end and then buying the middle on DVD. IMO I'd rather they just put it in the expansions and adjust the prices really weird they choose the style.

• Confused 2

24 minutes ago, SeTect.5918 said:

Ah i see, so i guess they also didnt answer yet. Well normally it doesnt take that long until they answer, maybe a half day up to 2 days if u r veeeery unlucky. 

Well for the thing with the lw2 and lw3 there r like...4?...options:

1. You Grind a lot of days and get them fast, requires playing a lot.

2. You play some weeks and get them slowly, requires saving your gold instead of Spending it on other stuff u maybe want. And requires Patience. 

3. Waiting months to get them for free because there will maybe be a similar thing like there is atm.

4. You buy them with real money.

I think that r the options you have...its on u which one you choose...they all dont look very friendly i know. 😂

When applicable I take the path of least resistance, Life is to short. I'd rather spend a buck to have fun than many hours of frustration. I appreciate the help. 

Edited by Lucky.4263
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

You didn't say how long ago you previously played, but the fact you don't have LS2 unlocked implies it was pre- HoT. And you just got HoT for free when buying PoF. Is that a punch in the gut for everyone who bought the first expansion when it came out? Or maybe Anet derive their revenue from players in different ways?

I bought the core game and each expansion when they launched, so around £100 total outlay, for which I've had nearly 14,000 hours of entertainment. That's less than 1 penny an hour. Or less than a year of Netflix subscription, during which time I watch about 3 series 🙂

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

You don't have to pay sub though for a AAA MMO. They have to make their money somehow. I mean in the end it comes down to paying 150 bucks per year or just cough up the extra 20-30 bucks for them...once. I know it's a weird thing because when you play during the release you get them for free. It's one of the less customer-friendly things they do, but at the same time it doesn't undo the fact that you don't have to pay a sub...ever.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

People who have played for a long time had to buy base game for 60 euros, HoT for 40 euros, PoF for 40 euros, that's 140 euros, but they got Living World Stories for free.

People that join now or return to the game after a long time must pay 40 euros for 2 expansions and 50-60 euros to unlock all the Living Stories, so let's say a total of 100 euros.

I'd say it's a fair trade. And like everyone else says, expansions are pretty cheap in this game and there's no subscription fee.

Edited by Crono.4197
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

I'm not sure what the solution is but the story is incredibly disjointed and janky for any new players coming in. After doing the personal story they get teleported into the future getting owned by a jungle dragon they had no idea even existed lol.

I get profits and stuff but the content is old enough that I'd at least make season 2 free. I'd even go so far as to say make season 3 free as well. Make it so the achievements are locked without purchase or something if the money is still an issue, at least people could go from one expansion to another without it feeling so random. All it does is make new players not care about the story since they can't even understand all of it. Why bother being invested?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Crono.4197 said:

People who have played for a long time had to buy base game for 60 euros, HoT for 40 euros, PoF for 40 euros, that's 140 euros, but they got Living World Stories for free.

People that join now or return to the game after a long time must pay 40 euros for 2 expansions and 50-60 euros to unlock all the Living Stories, so let's say a total of 100 euros.

I'd say it's a fair trade. And like everyone else says, expansions are pretty cheap in this game and there's no subscription fee.

That's looking at things in a smaller scope. You tell someone they've got to spend $100 upfront to play this game and they'll probably look elsewhere, maybe even a new release. It's a reality that the lack of a sub does make the game cheaper in the long run, however, it's also a reality that most people don't want to drop a ton of money upfront. Throw in the bags and bank slot purchases and it's just a huge barrier to entry that most reasonable people wouldn't want to bother with. It creates an anxiety of "what else do I need to buy". Due to the needing content being between expansions to enjoy the story properly, it's not like they can just get those and call it a day

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Lucky.4263 said:

I'm sure this isn't the first time you regulars heard this but just returned to the game bought the expansion and I'm now at a crossroads spend weeks maybe months farming gold or pay another $50 for the other half of the game (living world). I was so excited to get back into the game and this just sapped all motivation. Ill prob just end up buying it but man this is a sour feeling.

I'm sorry but this seems pretty ridiculous to me.

You're complaining that you have to pay for content? Lol

Anet even giving away seasons for free over the weeks leading up to EoD.

Edited by Soulsignnuub.2098
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Kalocin.5982 said:

That's looking at things in a smaller scope. You tell someone they've got to spend $100 upfront to play this game and they'll probably look elsewhere, maybe even a new release. It's a reality that the lack of a sub does make the game cheaper in the long run, however, it's also a reality that most people don't want to drop a ton of money upfront. Throw in the bags and bank slot purchases and it's just a huge barrier to entry that most reasonable people wouldn't want to bother with. It creates an anxiety of "what else do I need to buy". Due to the needing content being between expansions to enjoy the story properly, it's not like they can just get those and call it a day

Well they could just pay a sub each month in gems untill they have unlocked all the stories.

Not like they have to unlock them all at once right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Lucky.4263 said:

No, this isn't a punch in the gut. In fact, Anet is EXTREMELY GENEROUS in allowing people a path to get content in the GS by simply playing the game. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well they could just pay a sub each month in gems untill they have unlocked all the stories.

Not like they have to unlock them all at once right?

I think my point was less on the cost and more on the result. Regardless of how we feel or how fair the price may be, going through the whole story with purchasing the game is impossible. In sub based MMOs you don't have to back pay the sub fee if you join today, you get the whole story to the current expansion's content. For GW2 you so have to back pay a bit to complete the story. While they don't have to unlock them all at once, you can't tell me it's a good experience going from Personal Story to Heart of Thorns and then directly to Path of Fire. There's just a lot lost and it leads into what you call a poor user experience.

UX is pretty huge when it comes to games, especially new ones that are going to bring their friends. Most of us forum folk see the benefits and costs of the game but to an outsider it doesn't sell itself. Why buy all this GW2 stuff to play a whole story, especially when you're being told you can play it like a sub based game anyway.

Trying to sell to people on the forums here isn't the target. It's the guy who downloads the game only to find out all his bag/bank slots are locked and they have to buy xyz to (at least for a person unaware) fully enjoy the experience. You're not keeping those people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1