What is the most fun rifle class?

Zoidberg.9237

Depends on what you want, really. Deadeye is more of a sniper with a touch of assault rifle. Engineer is essentially a skirmishing weapon - mix of close-range and long-range attacks, get in and shotgun, open the distance again. Warrior is a bit of a middle ground, primary assault rifle-like but with a sniper move and a move that is essentially firing a fragmentation grenade.

Not really sure which one is better between Warrior and Deadeye… but I can say with absolute confidence that Engineer Rifle is hands down the WORST Rifle in the game…

the weapon set is so confused on what it wants to do that it tries to do everything and does none of it good… the ONLY “good” ability on engineer Rifle is Blunderbuss (skill 3) and that is only situationally good… the really sad thing is that they could fix Engineer Rifle quite easily… it only needs a few very minor changes to make it an actually good weapon. Blunderbuss should become the auto attack, Jump Shot and Overcharge shot should be tagged as Explosives, and Net Shot should be moved to skill 3… With Hipshot being replaced with something that actually does some significant damage…

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Panda.1967 said:

Not really sure which one is better between Warrior and Deadeye… but I can say with absolute confidence that Engineer Rifle is hands down the WORST Rifle in the game…

the weapon set is so confused on what it wants to do that it tries to do everything and does none of it good… the ONLY “good” ability on engineer Rifle is Blunderbuss (skill 3) and that is only situationally good… the really sad thing is that they could fix Engineer Rifle quite easily… it only needs a few very minor changes to make it an actually good weapon. Blunderbuss should become the auto attack, Jump Shot and Overcharge shot should be tagged as Explosives, and Net Shot should be moved to skill 3… With Hipshot being replaced with something that actually does some significant damage…

That'd pretty much end with it being another flamethrower. Engineer rifle is intended, in part, to fill gaps that might exist with kits being used - most of its cooldown skills are intended for close-range use, but I think it is important for it to retain a long-ranged autoattack. Rework it into a dedicated close-in weapon and engineer would be pretty much stuck when it comes to long-range power pressure.

For what the OP describes, deadeye is the best IMO. You can run a crit strikes skirmisher or a stealth sniper, depending upon your mood.  Heck, I saw a vid of someone running condi just to troll. 🙂

Warrior really should be switching it up, so rifle ends up being a part of the kit, not the main thing.  You can do berserker for one big bang, if you like, but I think deadeye is more fun for that (personal opinion).

Engie's rifle is part shotgun.  It's more of a kit - like someone above wrote, it fills out the missing parts in someone's setup.  I like engie's rifle, but again it's not the main thing, just part of the package.

4 hours ago, Zoidberg.9237 said:

For the times you just wanna spread freedom and liberty and go pew pew.

Warrior's rifle + greatsword can work at some PvP levels and WvW roaming, but is far from being better than pew pew builds made with longbows and shortbows from other classes. I'm not very familiar with thieves but so far this is the rifle build I saw which IMO looks the best with that kind of weapon:

My vote goes for the deadeye rifle.  It does the most damage, and it has the most things it can do.  The other rifles are far more bland.

Warrior: 4/6 skills are variations on "does damage" with no meaningful distinctions.  Compared to the Deadeye this isn't much value, since Deadeye does more damage.  The other skills of note are Brutal Shot, which is a nice combination of utilities all in one spot.  The last skill is a melee-range knockback.

Engineer: This one is more fun than warrior, but it is essentially a shotgun.  It has... one skill that does damage at range.  Everything else is either CC (immobilize, knockback), or close range damage (jump shot, blunderbuss).  For the most part, Engineers with rifle don't use it.  They use kits.  Occasionally they'll swap out to rifle for a quick burst, then go back into kits.

Thief:  The Deadeye's Rifle can do basically everything the other rifles can do, except for CC.  It stacks might, it immobilizes, it grants fury, it evades backwards, and it does the most damage.  The Deadeye also has the most range, and it can create near permanent projectile destroying barriers, letting it trivialize countless fights.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

It's worth noting as well that if you're running deadeye, you might not have hard CC out of the rifle directly, but you're likely to have the daze-on-mark trait from Trickery.

I've seen deadeyes in WvW that are able to lock you down 100% of the time. Not only daze, but perma immobilize too. No other class comes even close - not even an immo druid and thats saying alot. All they do is pop off one shot, stealth, reposition, pop another, repeat. You got about half a second to react while being unable to move. In a way its impressive, in another way its the most kitten kind of gameplay ever seen.

Luckily these types of builds are usually more bunkers than damage so one got time for help or if one got a metric ton of cleanse, fight back.

In regards to the topic at hand, deadeyes definetly got the best rifle, warrior is ok-ish and engineer dont have a rifle. I dont care what anyone says. It doesnt have a rifle. Whatever that... thing... is, its not a rifle.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Lynx.9058 said:

warrior looks like it might actually be decent with rifle using the new elite spec, bladesworn.  The elite skill, at least, reloads all ammunitions, which means you can use it to reload your rifle skills that have charges.

And then you realize you can't use Kill Shot because Bladesworn does not allow regular burst skills to exist....
This is such a kick in the nuts...

Not only do you get much better ammo management but even defensive utilities that are perfect for rifle users - a projectile blocking barrier and a crippling wall for both anti-range and kiting. But the main reason to go rifle is gone..

Edited by ZeftheWicked.3076
  • Like 1

I believe that the Deadeye riffle is the most fun to play out of the 3 available. It has good attack speed, and the skills make sense.

Warrior riffle takes second place, but you do need to use some specific traits to make it worth using it, I also personally only like using it with Berserker for that extra effect on burst.

Engi's riffle is an abysmal.