Rangers! Just a heads up, Anet is releasing more broken pets! And our new elite is worse then you think!

Johnny.1634

So to start off, I'll be spreading more awareness about this bug because Anet is avoiding fixing it like the plague, and you can clearly see in the Livesteam today they haven't changed their stance....

Out of all 55 Ranger pets, 39 of them are actually broken!

These pets include:

-Arctodus -Black Bear -Brown Bear -Murellow -Polar Bear -Eagle -Hawk -Owl -Raven -White Raven -Alpine Wolf -Fern Hound -Krytan Drakehound -Wolf -Hyena -Ice Drake -Marsh Drake -Reef Drake -River Drake -Salamander Drake -Jaguar -Jungle Stalker -Snow Leopard -Tiger -Cheetah -Lynx -Sand Lion -Blue Jellyfish -Rainbow Jellyfish -Red Jellyfish -Black Moa -Blue Moa -Pink Moa -Red Moa -White Moa -Boar -Pig -Siamoth -Warthog

And get ready to welcome White Tiger to the list! Any pets that release that share the same pet family from launch will use their families attack animations.

Put simply, if your using any one of these pets (Soulbeast merging aside) your damage and overall effectiveness is greatly reduced.

The reason being, that all these pets suffer from bugged attack animations that:

1 - They gain no attack speed increase from Quickness (While they gain the buff, they DO NOT actually attack any faster)

2 - Disjointing Attacks. They're attacks will actually miss on moving targets. (The rates of misses depend on the speed on the moving target and the attack speed of your pet.)

Because of this, a lot of our skills and traits, actually don't even do anything or are only half as effective.

You'll be gaining much less synergy with any pet traits (and there's a lot of them, which is to be expected with a pet profession) when using over 70% of the pets in the game.

And with this new Untamed Elite Specialization that FINALLY has actually synergy with your pet instead of ignoring it like Druid or tossing him away like Soulbeast, choosing one of these pets really hinders your effectiveness.

We really need this bugged fixed. Having out profession mechanic only working less then 30% of the time is pretty game breaking if you ask me.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, mistsim.2748 said:

Pets are really powerful in Conquest and duels. For the Untamed, you can just blink the pet in and use its pbaoe skills. Looks brain-dead easy.

Didnt know about the quickness bug.

There are plenty of bugs with the ranger you don’t see them because mains are used to them and try to adapt. For example that is the reason rangers don’t move away from smokescale, that pet does almost no damage but it is one of the few which connects with the target.

Another big problem I see is the actual pet health vs the heal cantrip and untamed in general. Canines have 16k Hp, birds I think around 9k if I am not mistaken.

In WvW the pets will die even before being able to make some use of them. The healing cantrip will be useless all across the game.

I think Anet should have clarify if they are going to balance all the pets too.

• Like 3

Okay do main ranger especially in PVP where I use pets rather than staying merged all the time like in pve. They can be wonky sometimes but its up to you to control them correctly, being able to access all there skills would help a lot (I don't know if core gets that to with the update, fingers crosses).

A great example of good control is having them target someone while you fight another player. You can bait out traps, retreat them when you know they will die. There are also some ranged pets (or ranged F2s) so this whole WVW issue is just people not knowing how to play.

Another thing is merging with your pet gives them a 10 seconds cooldown to have them back to full health, I do this all the time and it pisses people off.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Ah yes the all yearly @Johnny.1634 thread that mentions this kitten bug.

You know i support you in this my lad.

Also just to add as i did on reddit: the pet precision calculation is inconsistent and does not line up with player calculations nor do all pets have the same crit chance. The kicker? Its always lower than on the pet tooltip shown.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, anduriell.6280 said:

There are plenty of bugs with the ranger you don’t see them because mains are used to them and try to adapt. For example that is the reason rangers don’t move away from smokescale, that pet does almost no damage but it is one of the few which connects with the target.

Another big problem I see is the actual pet health vs the heal cantrip and untamed in general. Canines have 16k Hp, birds I think around 9k if I am not mistaken.

In WvW the pets will die even before being able to make some use of them. The healing cantrip will be useless all across the game.

I think Anet should have clarify if they are going to balance all the pets too.

Coming back to the game to my Ranger main and looking at new pets, that's all I saw, everyone saying use that purely because it is one of the only pets in the entire game that actually is able to hit something.

Pets need a massive overhaul if they want us to use them in a pvp setting, and apparently a bugfix. Also that heal, they were totally meme'ing with that heal, I thought some of the others were bad but that is just hilariously useless. Easilly the worst new heal from any of the nine elite specs. Not allowing swapping during its duration combined with pets basically having no health or being dead in pvp 98% of the time... what on Earth were they smoking when they came up with that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

There are also some ranged pets (or ranged F2s) so this whole WVW issue is just people not knowing how to play.

The ranged pets are rubbish, mate. Their projectile speed is so slow, you can literally walk away from it. If this is supposed to be a melee bruiser spec as they described it in the Guild Chat, then the pet itself is going to need serious damage mitigation if it is to survive a melee push into a zerg.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

The ranged pets are rubbish, mate. Their projectile speed is so slow, you can literally walk away from it. If this is supposed to be a melee bruiser spec as they described it in the Guild Chat, then the pet itself is going to need serious damage mitigation if it is to survive a melee push into a zerg.

7 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Coming back to the game to my Ranger main and looking at new pets, that's all I saw, everyone saying use that purely because it is one of the only pets in the entire game that actually is able to hit something.

Pets need a massive overhaul if they want us to use them in a pvp setting, and apparently a bugfix. Also that heal, they were totally meme'ing with that heal, I thought some of the others were bad but that is just hilariously useless. Easilly the worst new heal from any of the nine elite specs. Not allowing swapping during its duration combined with pets basically having no health or being dead in pvp 98% of the time... what on Earth were they smoking when they came up with that. 

Well i don't think they will buff pets any time soon since people who play against rangers find them too strong and anet agrees.

Maybe petition the pets getting buffed for untamed.

6 hours ago, Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

Well apparently you are forgetting about the bristleback, no that i blame you the pet has been so horribly nerfed is practically deleted from the game. 

In any case it does not matter, Ranger has ranged pets and having a beastmaster spec to ignore 3 families (spiders, devoures and bristleback) can be another issue to add to the pile.
We don't know how the elite will play we may perfectly end up playing kitting with longbow because the elite against other players lack the sustain or the support needed. 

The solution is simple enough thou, let the unleashed effects (F1 and F2)  to be around the target and not the pet. Maybe increase the radius a bit from 180 to 240.  Add the blink only to pets whose autoattack is a melee (or short range) attack. Aaannnd everybody is happy ever after. 

Edited by anduriell.6280
ever after

On 10/23/2021 at 5:41 AM, InsaneQR.7412 said:

Ah yes the all yearly @Johnny.1634 thread that mentions this kitten bug.

You know i support you in this my lad.

Also just to add as i did on reddit: the pet precision calculation is inconsistent and does not line up with player calculations nor do all pets have the same crit chance. The kicker? Its always lower than on the pet tooltip shown.

Always appreciate the support ❤️
and yes the precision of pets or rather crit chance as a whole really needs a fixing too! If only we were a pet class like Mechanist whose pet scales off a characters stats 😕 

• 4 months later...
On 10/23/2021 at 1:57 PM, Gorem.8104 said:

Tbh I think the entire pet system needs a rework.. and it's long long!! overdue if you ask me.

If/when Anet decide to do this though I think they should go all in on it and really add a lot more customisation to pets at the same time, not just improving and fixing them where needed.

I want to see something more akin to a build your pet system in Gw2, let me choose my pets F2 skill, what skin it has and allow me to actually customise the stats of my pet somewhat by choosing if I want my pet to be supportive, ferocious, deadly etc.
If I want to use a Tiger with mighty Roar that gains bonus vitality and concentration from Supportive stats, I should be able to do that.

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Tbh I think the entire pet system needs a rework.. and it's long long!! overdue if you ask me.

If/when Anet decide to do this though I think they should go all in on it and really add a lot more customisation to pets at the same time, not just improving and fixing them where needed.

I want to see something more akin to a build your pet system in Gw2, let me choose my pets F2 skill, what skin it has and allow me to actually customise the stats of my pet somewhat by choosing if I want my pet to be supportive, ferocious, deadly etc.
If I want to use a Tiger with mighty Roar that gains bonus vitality and concentration from Supportive stats, I should be able to do that.

Sir you are a class using pets of existing species, not build a bear employee.

• Haha 1

1. Birds definitely use quickness, i am 100% sure.

2. They can fail an attack to an moving enemy, but that should be counter play, imagine kiting a pet wouldn't work. You can also make sure that your pet hits, if they would fail you can command them back and directly let them attack the enemy (works same as stow pet skill goes on 4 sec cd). You can give them superspeed to make them faster or(+) quickness (i am not sure if i ever encountered this, tho i did not look at every pet if quickness works or not). 

1 hour ago, Beddo.1907 said:

Sir you are a class using pets of existing species, not build a bear employee.

Training pets to be more effective companions is pretty much standard for any work animal 😛

We need a better system that reflects that, preferably one that doesn't limit skin options.
Surly every large cat companion is able to bleed things with it's claws right? ^^
Lynx shouldn't be the only one capable of that anymore than a Snow Leopard being the only one that can pounce on command.

4 hours ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Ya know, imagine if Untamed was like that with pets, you could mix and match to make the ultimate pet.
I had so much fun playing Impossible creatures, wish that game got a sequel