Sell racial Mech skins in gemstore

Diovid.9506

I would love things like a typical Asura golem skin for the mech or a watchwork knight skin or a sylvari plant golem skin or a charr steampunk golem skin or a norn.. I don't know. 

But then I remember that there were similar suggestions for turrets as far back as before the release of the base game so it probably won't happen. Still, I think skins of skills is an untapped source of income for Anet. 

Edited by Diovid.9506
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Initially I wanted skins and customizations for the Mechanist mech, too, but I worry it opens a bag of problems. Why aren’t there skins for necromancer minions? Etc

I just worry it’s gonna bring a lot of complaints. See the various threads about how ‘unfair’ the prices are for mounts. The entitlement factor will be dialed up to 11, especially on these forums, should they door be opened

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

What about a subscription model that gives you monthly lootboxes that you open with black lion keys to get tickets to claim random mech skins which you can apply using special new transmog that you can buy for gems 

Also do it for ranger's spirits, for the sake of consistency 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, genjonah.1253 said:

Initially I wanted skins and customizations for the Mechanist mech, too, but I worry it opens a bag of problems. Why aren’t there skins for necromancer minions? Etc

I just worry it’s gonna bring a lot of complaints. See the various threads about how ‘unfair’ the prices are for mounts. The entitlement factor will be dialed up to 11, especially on these forums, should they door be opened

You'll pay 600 gems for a random mech skin, or 2000 gems for the specific one you want, with at least 3/4 of the available skins being garbage with minor tweaks.

That's literally how it will end up working.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nucklepuckk.1805 said:

Yuck no.

For people who reply with a reaction similar to this I have to wonder: would you rather have no custonisation of your Mech's skin OR paid customisation of your Mech's skin?

Because I definitely would choose the latter. Of course in an ideal world where Aney has infinite resources I would want the customisation earnable in-game but that seems far fetched to me. 

Edited by Diovid.9506
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Diovid.9506 said:

For people who reply with a reaction similar to this I have to wonder: would you rather have no custonisation (sic) of your Mech's skin OR paid customisation of your Mech's skin?

"Would you like to give money to corporate daddy or not give money to corporate daddy?" I'm with the person who said it should be baseline. Or better yet, make it a collection achievement. 

Edited by nucklepuckk.1805
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 10:39 AM, nucklepuckk.1805 said:

"Would you like to give money to corporate daddy or not give money to corporate daddy?" I'm with the person who said it should be baseline. Or better yet, make it a collection achievement. 

Much more efficient to just buy it than do collection achievements. Well, for those of us with jobs anyway.

I for one would pay for a Charr mech skin, or just swap it to the Charr car model and be done with it.

First, I'm not sure - at least speaking for myself - that it's even worth thinking about as I strongly feel it's a matter of when, and not if, the mech gets nerfed hard.  When that happens I'd be pissed I had spent gems (and possibly rl cash) on skins for a neutered mech.

Secondly, going along with the spirit of the thread, I'd just be happy if they correct what is an obvious issue by letting us dye the mech, and fixing the naming so it's persistent. Not paying gems or cash for that, either

Edited by Duglaive.5236
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/2/2021 at 4:27 PM, Diovid.9506 said:

For people who reply with a reaction similar to this I have to wonder: would you rather have no custonisation of your Mech's skin OR paid customisation of your Mech's skin?

I don't think Arena net should monetize a single class like that. It is  a big feelsbad for non mechanist players.

I think the gem store is the wrong approach. Let them continue in the vein of what they did for the jadebot miniature. Have it unlockable in game. Either through a currency vendor or through an achievement collection. I'd lean towards the vendor since adding a class specific achievement collection that doesn't have analogies for other classes seems wrong (imo).