New Asian faces

6 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I remember a long thread way back at the beginning of the game with people complaining there weren’t enough ugly faces, and that they felt shoehorned into pretty characters. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Played around with the new faces and hairstyles tonight and came up with several attractive looks. 

Yeah, there’s not a lot of variety, but that’s been true from day one. And now there’s at least more variety across all faces than there was back then.

ok they release the ugly face, and those face are Asian.

is the mean ugly face = Asian?

The key point is these faces are non realistic. We dont look like that, these are below our average .  you tell me is racism or not

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

8 minutes ago, kettering.6823 said:

This is the thing that gets me the most. I messed around with the faces quite a bit, and it's very easy to create a conventionally attractive face with the bases we were given (except that some of the sliders seem to be busted at the moment but this was released with a host of bugs). I said it before but I want to know what kind of women the people complaining about the human faces are looking at that if they think they are ugly. There's only two that I would not consider conventionally attractive.

Honestly this whole thread is kind of upsetting lol.

Asian people who looks at other Asian people everyday.  These faces are below average of what Asian people consider attractive.  Western and Eastern standards of beauty and attractiveness are different.  Maybe for western people these faces are okay or just look past them.  However, for many others who want to make a Asian looking character but to be limited by below average looking faces it's really disheartening.  I can't speak for every Asian person on this board but for people to say stop complaining, it feels like you're trivializing how important representation is for some of us. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

i laughed soo hard. this is f hilarious. those new faces are soo accurate representation of the real average EAST(china, korea, kitten) asia women looks like.  what yall ignorant showing boys are exposed to ....is fake representation of east asian women looks your whole western influenced life. asian female faces in asian games are sooo fake and westernised. asian influencers faces are 1% and also altered as much as money can buy. even asian faces u see in asian P is 1%. what anet gave u is the real representation of the majority of my people. no! that asian girl u saw on campus who u think is your friend? she is 1% who can afford to go overseas....99% of us cant afford to look like that. reality check LOL.....

asian faces in other asian theme games are as fake as u can push the definition. those are unreal and fantasy...if thats what u want!! thn u should say.....you want fake looking asian fantasy faces......not saying these faces dont look asian...... cause if anything it is too real. topic should be " i want fake fantasy asian faces, not realistic average looking asian faces" lol dont hide your real intention behind " anet do asian faces ugly! racist!" lol

Edited by Zil.3071
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

I guess the Art Dept was so busy working on the Asian faces that they didn't see in the news how Chen Man got into a world of trouble in China for her Dior photos featuring only Chinese women with small eyes: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-59397737

While there are Asian men and women with small eyes (same for all other races) there are also Asian men and women with large eyes. Having the slider be capable of accommodating both small and large eye sizes would have been the smart decision.

(And no, I've checked and the slider for the Asian faces at their largest is almost half the size of the largest eye setting for the other faces.)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Zil.3071 said:

i laughed soo hard. this is f hilarious. those new faces are soo accurate representation of the real average EAST(china, korea, kitten) asia women looks like.  what yall ignorant showing boys are exposed to ....is fake representation of east asian women looks your whole western influenced life. asian female faces in asian games are sooo fake and westernised. asian influencers faces are 1% and also altered as much as money can buy. even asian faces u see in asian P is 1%. what anet gave u is the real representation of the majority of my people. no! that asian girl u saw on campus who u think is your friend? she is 1% who can afford to go overseas....99% of thm cant afford to look like that. reality check LOL.....

Thank you sooo much for your troll post you have contributed sooo much to this conversation.  It's great that you haven't read anything that any of us had written so far.  It's awesome that you want to show the rest of us how ignorant you are.

• Like 7
  • Confused 6

11 minutes ago, Zil.3071 said:

i laughed soo hard. this is f hilarious. those new faces are soo accurate representation of the real average EAST(china, korea, kitten) asia women looks like.  what yall ignorant showing boys are exposed to ....is fake representation of east asian women looks your whole western influenced life. asian female faces in asian games are sooo fake and westernised. asian influencers faces are 1% and also altered as much as money can buy. even asian faces u see in asian P is 1%. what anet gave u is the real representation of the majority of my people. no! that asian girl u saw on campus who u think is your friend? she is 1% who can afford to go overseas....99% of us cant afford to look like that. reality check LOL.....

asian faces in other asian theme games are as fake as u can push the definition. those are unreal and fantasy...if thats what u want!! thn u should say.....you want fake looking asian fantasy faces......not saying these faces dont look asian...... cause if anything it is too real. topic should be " i want fake fantasy asian faces, not realistic average looking asian faces" lol dont hide your real intention behind " anet do asian faces ugly! racist!" lol

Clearly you no nothing about Asian. and Asia women looks like. another naive racism. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

11 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

Just because you don’t like them doesn’t make it racist. Racism is a real and horrible thing and you should not exploit that. 

I agree. But no can deny were the Elonian faces made like this Kotaku and Twitter would already be in flames  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Mik.3401 said:

I understand your frustration, however GW2 is a western game - this is what you sign up for when you log in. Asian games are totally unapologetic when it comes to following global trends or even technology advancements in gaming. Why western games need to compromise only? There are of course exceptions on both sides. And so are racist elements - just saying.

The main point is true though - the graphic design for EoD is just not as good as for previous releases. Pretty much like anything else so far.

Unfortunately, this is true. When people create something about other countries, of course they're going to get stuff wrong. There's no avoiding that. Stuff created by Westerners about Asia often have things that Asians might find offensive, regardless of intent. Things created by Asians about Westerners often have things that Westerners might find offensive, regardless of intent.

The real problem, though, is when narrow minded people just dismiss anything that doesn't affect them as woke. People complain about woke and cancel culture, but these same people have no issues about woking(?) or canceling when it offends them. Take, for example, when Fox News called Arizona (IIRC) for Biden and so many Trump supporters who whined about cancel culture decided to stop watching Fox News. 🙄

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Confused 3

what u on about " sole representative of all asians" ? so random. simply saying i am east asian, living this side of the world and we look kinda like that from my point of view. didnt you get the news that a comment is that persons opinion. u mad.....u dont get to play with your overly fake fantasy east asian face versions....and throwing karen tantrums using sensitive issue accusations at the dev to desperately get a change. 🙂 Out.

Edited by Zil.3071
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

49 minutes ago, Zil.3071 said:

what u on about " sole representative of all asians" ? so random. simply saying i am east asian, living this side of the world and we look kinda like that from my point of view. didnt you get the news that a comment is that persons opinion. u mad.....u dont get to play with your overly fake fantasy east asian face versions....and throwing karen tantrums using sensitive issue accusations at the dev to desperately get a change. 🙂 Out.

You must have a memory a gnat.  From what you wrote your logic is that because your asian and live in east asia that makes the opinions of many people who have expressed theirs including mine "irrelevant".  Good to know that you believe yourself superior because you're somehow more asian and can't seem to empathize with others.  Also nice touch with the insults and name calling, I can do that too.

Edited by Mushin.6789
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

52 minutes ago, Zil.3071 said:

I dont know which part for east asian you from. I used to lived in China, and been to Korea and Japan. Watch C,K,J drama for my whole life. we dont look that. realistic doesnt mean ugly. pretty doesnt mean fake and fantasy. go to sreach "Kyoko Fukada"  and "Zhao liying "  you will know what 100% natural beauty look like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

On 11/30/2021 at 7:48 PM, Tungsten Monarch.6058 said:

and the human female models are all extremely ugly... I mean, how did you guys get this wrong since I know so many beautiful Asian women? and none of them look like these.  None of these faces look happy, or smiling. They are all just really ugly.

Have you by any chance played with the various sliders in the character creation screen? You can adjust the shapes of various parts of the faces. The DEFAULTS can be ugly, sure, but if you actually CUSTOMIZE, you can make something nice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zil.3071 said:

Stop acting like just because some of us live in North America we don't know what (East) Asians look like, or that every Asian who lives here is from some rich 1% family. There's well over half a million Chinese people in my city (and another hundred thousand+ other East Asians) and many neighbourhoods where English is the third most common language behind both Cantonese and Mandarin, considered separately. And I can assure you the vast majority of them, including my own friends, did not come from rich families, not even close.

I've also never even played another MMO other than guild wars 2, pretty much the only exposure I've had to East Asians in media would be Studio Ghibli and a small handful of Cantonese films. My reference for what East Asian faces look like is real life, not fantasy.

So yeah, your sweeping generalizations are neither accurate nor helpful.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

4 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I remember a long thread way back at the beginning of the game with people complaining there weren’t enough ugly faces, and that they felt shoehorned into pretty characters. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Played around with the new faces and hairstyles tonight and came up with several attractive looks. 

Yeah, there’s not a lot of variety, but that’s been true from day one. And now there’s at least more variety across all faces than there was back then.

I don't get this argument.  So what if other people complained about something almost ten years ago, I wasn't one of them and I'm willing to bet a sizeable amount of the people on this thread weren't either.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I don't get this argument.  So what if other people complained about something almost ten years ago, I wasn't one of them and I'm willing to bet a sizeable amount of the people on this thread weren't either.

I guess that he wanted to point out that there are always people that complain. You can see it in this thread. The people are not actually interested in the faces, they just want to complain. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, yoni.7015 said:

I guess that he wanted to point out that there are always people that complain. You can see it in this thread. The people are not actually interested in the faces, they just want to complain. 

I call bs on this argument as well, its bad faith. No one here is complaining just to complain, what we want is for Anet to effing make better faces.  We know they can, the new human faces released for PoF were mostly really good, so why couldn't they manage this time?  This is just another disappointment in the tragedy that EoD is turning out to be and unless Anet gets their act together I'm not going to buy this expansion nor anything else from them.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

15 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I call bs on this argument as well, its bad faith. No one here is complaining just to complain, what we want is for Anet to effing make better faces.  We know they can, the new human faces released for PoF were mostly really good, so why couldn't they manage this time?  This is just another disappointment in the tragedy that EoD is turning out to be and unless Anet gets their act together I'm not going to buy this expansion nor anything else from them.

You may not like the faces, other players do. Beauty is very subjective. Why do you think your definition of pretty is the only one valid one? I am pretty sure you didn’t even try to use the sliders, so yeah you here just to complain. Very childish 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

You may not like the faces, other players do. Beauty is very subjective. I am pretty sure you didn’t even try to use the sliders, so yeah you here just to complain. Very childish 

Oh shut up, you literally don't know jack kitten about me or anyone here.  I've tried, and am still trying, to get one of these faces to not look either terrible or even just not bland and I'm having no luck, especially thanks to a couple of the sliders not even working properly.  So take your bull kitten assumption about me "being here just to complain" and go pound sand. 

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 5
  • Confused 5

hmmm, maybe when they fix the face sliders to properly adjust the features, it won't be so bad.  The sliders on the new sylvari faces also do little-to-nothing.  I hope they actually make an announcement when they fix the slider issue.  (If Anet doesn't think that there are face slider issues, I suggest that Anet tweak the sliders anyway and claim that there was a slider issue.)

Perhaps we should suspend judgment until a face slider patch?

• Like 2