New Asian faces

Just took a look...uh...wow, okay...yeah, they don't look very nice.

All of them save one have a permanent UNIMPRESSED expression, which gives the impression that they're locked into a glare or a scowl. Some of the customization options are very weirdly coded - on one face, the iris size slider appears to control eye size, and the eye angle slider just moves the eyes up and down on the face. On other faces, they appear to be made out of drying cement, because the sliders barely do anything to change the features.

It's...not that great. 😕 There's one that looks rather nice, but the others...yikes.

The Canthan female faces from GW1 were beautiful. I wish we could have gotten some of those, updated to GW2's style.

• Like 10

Some of the faces we had already look or can be tweaked to look Asian. And pretty yes. More faces are always welcome. And not every face needs to look beautiful or glam. Honestly the only thing that throws me off is the textures or whatever. They look unnaturally realistic for what we have.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

I was thinking the exact same thing. The Asian faces in this game are so insultingly unattractive. As an Asian, they're kind of offensive. Just looking at random young women in Korean metropolis areas, about half of them just completely blow away any of the faces that are in this game.

People like Im Yoona, Jang Yewon, Son Naeun, IU, etc. are excellent examples of beautiful looking Asians. If Anet needs some video game examples, BDO has some amazing Asian faces.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

This actually does almost come across as racist to me, I mean we know they can make decent looking faces, I thought a couple of the ones for PoF looked good, but for Asians they give out this?  Hell, most of the GW1 Factions faces look better than these, and I'd really been looking forward to finally making one of my characters have a "Proper" Canthan appearance.  EoD has done almost everything wrong, it seems.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7

What struck me (because whenever we get new options, I like to go in and play monster factory for characters of all races and genders) wasn't even the aesthetics of the new features so much as the base quality of them. The shading and overall texture quality of the new faces and hairs was shockingly unfinished and/or low rez. Color mapping and sliders also seemed to be severely limited (or straight up broken?) and in some cases sliders didn't move a single pixel on a number of faces.

If we got a dev message today saying 'yeah, we're still working on these' I could at least hold tight and wait for February, but if this is how they're going to stay, they are a very clear drop in quality not just from PoF standards, but from 2012 core release options too.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

This actually does almost come across as racist to me, I mean we know they can make decent looking faces, I thought a couple of the ones for PoF looked good, but for Asians they give out this?  Hell, most of the GW1 Factions faces look better than these, and I'd really been looking forward to finally making one of my characters have a "Proper" Canthan appearance.  EoD has done almost everything wrong, it seems.

This is exactly how I feel. It's so offensive that it's insulting and feels racist.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 9

My feeling about the new human faces: I don’t think they are ugly, they look just like normal people, maybe a bit too realistic and that could be the problem, GW2 is not a super realistic style game, it’s stylized include its map and models. A lot of the old models are between realistic and ideal, I want to see some more stylized attractive faces, FF14 is a good example. I think GW2 can give us a few more options later though, even for premium face options. then I’m happy 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Am I looking at the same faces you are all looking at, or have none of you actually looked at a real woman before? None of the new faces are ugly. Some I find very beautiful. Like the poster above me said, they look like real people. And to say it's racist unless they all look like k-pop stars, who are expected to live up to unrealistic beauty standards, and most of whom have had plastic surgery? What the hell. Touch grass, guys. 

What I do agree with is that the quality for all the new customization assets is a little subpar. I hope they get polished a little bit. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 9

18 hours ago, kettering.6823 said:

Am I looking at the same faces you are all looking at, or have none of you actually looked at a real woman before? None of the new faces are ugly. Some I find very beautiful. Like the poster above me said, they look like real people. And to say it's racist unless they all look like k-pop stars, who are expected to live up to unrealistic beauty standards, and most of whom have had plastic surgery? What the hell. Touch grass, guys. 

What I do agree with is that the quality for all the new customization assets is a little subpar. I hope they get polished a little bit. 

No, we're not saying it's racist because the Asian faces don't all look like female celebrities. We're upset because plenty of European faces in this game meet "unrealistic beauty standards" (in your words) and not a single Asian face is comparable. Considering there are so many beautiful Asians, it makes some wonder why Anet didn't include a single Asian face that is comparable, and of course some would wonder if it was a racist stereotype, intentional or not.

And some of the responses you see from this very thread that imply Asian women are only beautiful because of plastic surgeries, and that the faces you see in the game are what Asian women actually look like, further push why some players think this may be a racist stereotype. There are plenty of "unrealistically" beautiful Asian women without plastic surgeries, there are plenty of ugly European women, and there are plenty of European women who look "unrealistically" beautiful because of plastic surgeries. This game has ugly to "unrealistically" beautiful European faces, but no "unrealistically" beautiful Asian faces.

Some of us prefer Asians and want to make beautiful Asian characters. There's nothing unrealistic or unreasonable about that. Even the Asian human male faces are all ugly. I look better than these.

*Edited for clarity.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8

21 minutes ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

No, we're not saying it's racist because the Asian faces don't all look like female celebrities. We're upset because plenty of European faces in this game meet unrealistic beauty standards (there's no such thing as unrealistic beauty standards in a video game) and not a single Asian face is comparable.

Some of us probably know more real Asian women than you. Some of us prefer beautiful Asians. We simply want some Asian faces that match the same beauty standards.

The European ones AND the African ones look better than the Asian ones.

• Like 7
  • Confused 4

43 minutes ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

No, we're not saying it's racist because the Asian faces don't all look like female celebrities. We're upset because plenty of European faces in this game meet unrealistic beauty standards (there's no such thing as unrealistic beauty standards in a video game) and not a single Asian face is comparable. Considering there are so many beautiful Asian women, it makes one wonder why Anet didn't include a single Asian face that is comparable, and of course some would wonder if it was a racist reason.

Some of us prefer beautiful Asians. Some of us probably know more real Asian women than you. We simply want some Asian faces that match the same beauty standards that we're used to. The Asian faces in this game are all crap.

I think it's fair to say that the new faces aren't the same unrealistic beauty standard, but saying that it makes them crap isn't right.

The whole reason I don't usually make human characters is because it seems that no matter how much I try, I cannot move away from the generic fantasy MMO lady face far enough to feel like I've actually created a character. I know a lot of people love it and I won't complain about a game's art style not appealing to me when I choose to play that game, but it certainly doesn't make the faces good to me. So I was dreading the new faces being "hey we made an asian face, and by asian we mean only conventionally attractivel asian models that are over-represented already because people have decided realistic asian features are ugly" and was very excited when I could finally make a less supermodel-esque character! I 100% agree that in context, you should have asian face models that match the rest of the game in airbrushed fantasy goodness (and it's definitely a weird choice to abandon that standard ONLY for the asian faces) -- but I definitely don't think it's fair to call a completely normal face ugly just because of that. I think it just shows that the other face options are also lacking in something more toned-down. 

Here's a character I designed with very little tweaking of one of the new faces and personally find absolutely gorgeous.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

i bet the artist who made the sylvari faces is not the same who made human and norn ones, sylvari faces look so nice.

and what is wrong with the zipped sad lips , can you make the lips more neutral and relaxed at least ....

Edited by Juno.5741
  • Like 3

This is typical when you get new management, or bring back old management, they feel the need to prove themselves. "lets go in a different direction. Throw out everything, even the stuff that we know works!  I am going to make my mark and show everyone that I am an innovative genius!"
  Meanwhile the customers are like, "what is this? I was expecting more varieties of my favorite products. No one asked for this, why did you do this?"
Hey, at least Management gets to leave their mark.
'the thing is, people don't actually want news, they want olds dressed up in new clothes and speaking in a silly accent.'  --Lord Vetinari

• Confused 6

I’d be pretty surprised if Anet, a fairly inclusive organization by most estimations, did something racist by commission or omission on these or any humanoid faces. 

This is the company that just did a resize swap on Watchknight torso mesh endowments to bring them to a less…lower-back torquing proportion. 

It’s completely valid to not like any or all of the new Canthan faces. I don’t agree with the racist label though. 

This feels like one of the many times when some people are going to get put-out because “not fantasy/idealized enough” and others simultaneously “too fantasy/airbrushed/not realistic enough.”

Kittened if they do and kittened if they don’t. 

To the character artists: hang in there, I appreciate the fruits of your skill and labors. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

I find the faces to be  beautiful Asian inspired women. The proportions of one face makes it seem a bit off but the others are pretty. Just because they do not fulfill the kpop beauty standard does not mean they are not Asian inspired beauty. There is a reason 25% of the Korean girls from age 19-29 has taken plastic surgery. It’s not natural beauty. That these threads exist is sad for those girls that look in the mirror every day finding flaws with themselves. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4