searing ascend made me ragequit

Ayakaru.6583

this is not a constructive post. anet will delete it in <24 hours

Today I ragequit on Searing Ascend.

it takes several tries to just get past the first gap. I tiny rocky outcropping, and then you have to jump of the ledge. Guess what, half the time your character doesn't jump high enough.

Then you need all three of the three available shots to glide across the spire. Once up, once forward, climb the crystal WHOSE WALKABLE SURFACE YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE BECAUSE IT'S TOO SHINY. HOWEVER, that second shot around the spire has you shoot up on top of the crystal, without wasting the third shot you still need. GUESS WHAT, half the time your character doesn't even shoot at the ledge, let alone hit the ledge high enough to land on top of it.

I mean, what even is the point of instant casting if half the time the shot doesn't even go NEAR the cursor.. occassionaly your character will even shoot downward, despite your cursor being above them or, DWAYNA FORBID, I've had my character shoot behind them twice...

AND THEN AFTER HALF AN HOUR OF TRYING YOU FINALLY MAKE, REACH THE SAVE POINT, THAT LITTLE POND OF WATER, AND YOU HAVE TO GLIDE ACROSS ANOTHER GAP WITH 3 SHOTS, WHERE IF YOU FAIL THE THIRD SHOT, YOUR ONLY CHOICE IS TO FALL DOWN AND DIE, DELETING THE SAVE POINT YOU LOST WORKING HALF AN HOUR ON, MEANING YOU HAVE TO START ALL OVER AT THE VERY QUAGGAN BEGINNING!!!

> rant over.. This is not a jumping puzzle, this is a series of pixel perfect, 0ms ping allowed, invisible walking surfaces trial by fire

Edited by Ayakaru.6583
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

That isn’t my experience.

How are you approaching this? Do you have a position rewinder? Are you doing it with a thief or Mesmer so you can use portals? Have you tried an overlay like TacO to guide you through? Have you tried finding a buddy with portal access so you can help each other through?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

I'm using TacO yes, with Tekkit's guide, and I guess paying a mesmer will be the only way this "puzzle" is possible...

I'm not sure what you mean by position rewinder. But even if you can rewind, you still need to go back to the start to pick up 3 oakhearts, until you reach the save point which is automatically lost if you fail to clear the second hurdle. 

Edited by Ayakaru.6583
  • Haha 1

On 12/22/2021 at 2:41 PM, Ayakaru.6583 said:

I'm using TacO yes, with Tekkit's guide, and I guess paying a mesmer will be the only way this "puzzle" is possible...

I'm not sure what you mean by position rewinder. But even if you can rewind, you still need to go back to the start to pick up 3 oakhearts, until you reach the save point which is automatically lost if you fail to clear the second hurdle. 

He means this https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Prototype_Position_Rewinder This beautiful gizmo, with its unlimited range and the ability to be used mid-air (unlike Mesmer and Thief portals), makes Jumping puzzles in general A LOT less frustrating to do, because you will not be forced to start over from the beginning if you screw up. 

Edited by Sir Alric.5078

There isn't a tag on the map? Last I checked for the entire last 6months+ there's been a tag sitting idle on the map, usually at the end of the JP. You literally just click their tag, Join, then use Teleport to Friend. If there's not one up, then there will be sometime in the day.

I did the puzzle legit the first time by slowing down a YouTube video to 25% of the normal speed so I could see exactly what to do in detail, and used Prototype Position Rewinder in case I messed up.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 2

On 12/22/2021 at 1:28 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

That isn’t my experience.

How are you approaching this? Do you have a position rewinder? Are you doing it with a thief or Mesmer so you can use portals? Have you tried an overlay like TacO to guide you through? Have you tried finding a buddy with portal access so you can help each other through?

The Position Rewinder doesn't work here. You need Oakheart's Essence to progress through which replaces your skills, just as the rewinder does.

• Thanks 2

Unless they changed it, a lot of searing ascent is made easier with mounts.  The initial part is still a pain, but once you get into the more enclosed top area, any mistakes I made were fairly easy to recover from with a mount.  And I believe I did it before I had the griffon and pre skyscale also.

On 12/24/2021 at 7:21 AM, Solvar.7953 said:

Unless they changed it, a lot of searing ascent is made easier with mounts.  The initial part is still a pain, but once you get into the more enclosed top area, any mistakes I made were fairly easy to recover from with a mount.  And I believe I did it before I had the griffon and pre skyscale also.

Sadly, both SA and CoT have mounts disabled, so that was one way to not rely on luck a lot. 

But I made it. After the 2nd checkpoint the use of Oakheart Essence becomes less aggravating

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 4:25 PM, aspirine.6852 said:

Chalice and searing are made be people who dont get JP's at all.  More like guess puzzles?  The one after, in Sirens landing, is putting both to shame that is how good that one is made. 

This. Hand of Abaddon is so well made. It's one of the most satisfying JPs out there. It's "difficult" without being unfair. Same goes for Mad King's Clocktower and Wintersday Wonderland (albeit those are thematically and fundamentally different, per say).

Just imagine how much better (read: clearer, less frustrating) either of those Fire Island JPs would be if their pathing was hinted/marked by something as simple as unbound magic orbs?

• Like 3

Even something like Taco, which shows pathing, chalice of tears is problematic - many of jumps/glides need a high amount of precision to make - take off too early, or land a little bit to a side and you fail.  Just giving a bit more leeway on all of those would help out.

Chalice of Tears is the only jumping puzzle I have not completed solo.  All others were doable with some amount of trial and error.  Now that I have the position rewinder, I might try to complete Chalice just to say I completed it (I did 'complete' it by porting around).  It perhaps says something that they basically added the position rewinder to help out on those really hard puzzles.  And then in future puzzles, they effectively disable its use by requiring you to carry something.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

Even something like Taco, which shows pathing, chalice of tears is problematic - many of jumps/glides need a high amount of precision to make - take off too early, or land a little bit to a side and you fail.  Just giving a bit more leeway on all of those would help out.

Chalice of Tears is the only jumping puzzle I have not completed solo.  All others were doable with some amount of trial and error.  Now that I have the position rewinder, I might try to complete Chalice just to say I completed it (I did 'complete' it by porting around).  It perhaps says something that they basically added the position rewinder to help out on those really hard puzzles.  And then in future puzzles, they effectively disable its use by requiring you to carry something.

Going by TacO I sometimes see him marking paths I myself would have never even considered ground you can walk on.

Seeing a rocky wall, with all manners of outcroppings all looking way too vertically aligned, thinking "you, there's no quaggan way that's a place you can land", and then you can land there. And I'm like "how am I not falling to my death??"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is the more general problem of what terrain is walkable and which you will fall down is not consistent.  There are some areas where you think 'this isn't very steep', yet you can't walk on it, and there are other areas which are steep that you can walk on.

For open word PvE, this isn't that much a problem - somewhat annoying, but hardly a game changer.  But in JPs, not having any clue on what is viable terrain is just annoying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

There is the more general problem of what terrain is walkable and which you will fall down is not consistent.  There are some areas where you think 'this isn't very steep', yet you can't walk on it, and there are other areas which are steep that you can walk on.

For open word PvE, this isn't that much a problem - somewhat annoying, but hardly a game changer.  But in JPs, not having any clue on what is viable terrain is just annoying.

add to that the opening of the JP, where all surfaces are a glowy-gooyey surface, you can barely see what angle the surface is at

On 12/30/2021 at 11:43 PM, NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

This. Hand of Abaddon is so well made. It's one of the most satisfying JPs out there. It's "difficult" without being unfair. Same goes for Mad King's Clocktower 

@aspirine.6852

Both chalice of tears (Ember bay)  and  Mad King's Clocktower and SAB was made by same person Joshua Foreman.  And Abaddon's Ascent jp is not hard, its not even in the list of top 16 hardest jps. He probably made 90% of the jumping puzzles in the game. 

SAB promo 

Chalice talk https://youtu.be/4ADasl5sa94

Edited by Robban.1256
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

since nobody straightened this one out yet:

On 12/22/2021 at 12:47 PM, Ayakaru.6583 said:

WHERE IF YOU FAIL THE THIRD SHOT, YOUR ONLY CHOICE IS TO FALL DOWN AND DIE, DELETING THE SAVE POINT YOU LOST WORKING HALF AN HOUR ON, MEANING YOU HAVE TO START ALL OVER AT THE VERY QUAGGAN BEGINNING!!!

FYI: you can cast savepoint recal while falling/gliding/midair.

That's the whole point of them - if you fail wine shot you just recall to save point and only loose some progress instead of it all.

As for glowy crystal bit, yes that one is annoying, but fortunatelly most of the jp is not on those crystals 🙂

• Like 2