New 2022 Front Page Banner

This isn't criticism, but I find it funny that after a couple of weeks of silence (at least on the official website), someone at ArenaNet woke up yesterday to do one thing. Delete all of the banners on the front page and replace them with a single one: Prepurchase EoD! Feels too inactive when there's only one banner, and the sole banner is advertising something 1-2 months away.

On top of that, it's orange. I thought the EoD colors were blue and green, but this banner is all orange xD

ArenaNet's taking its time to shake off the holiday grog ~.^

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, MikeG.6389 said:

This is the weirdest "non-criticism" I've read in a while.

It truly is a non-critique.

But it still bothers me enough that I had to talk about it 😛

On a side note, I'm getting email notifications but the bell on the top right of the forums hasn't been notifying me for anything in awhile...

• Confused 3

I'm largely indifferent because I don't look at the front page of the site very often, but if I was a new player I think I'd prefer this. It's simpler and clean and makes it immediately obvious what's going on with the game.

Some of the things cycling through before were pretty old so it's probably a good start to the new year to clear them out.

35 minutes ago, JustTrogdor.7892 said:

Click your display name at the top if the forum and select "account settings".  There is a signature option there on the left of the page.

You can change your notification settings in the same place.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Some of the things cycling through before were pretty old

This. In fact, I happened to be on the front page a few hours ago, just before the change, and at least one of the things on there was several weeks outdated, advertising free IBS unlocks.

I suspect that we'll get news to rotate on the front page soon enough 😉 .

I agree with OP regarding the color. When I saw it I thought it was about something completely new, then I realized it was the Bladesworn. I wonder why they didn't choose the Willbender (blue) or the Untamed (light green) to keep EoD's color scheme. And a countdown would have been nice too! 

Edited by TheLadyOfTheRings.9148
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

I think they messed up again.

The 2nd banner talks about Return To Icebrood Saga in October, and the 3rd banner is an old, cut-off advertisement about how many players we have. Well, the advertisement itself is fine. Just not the part where it's cut off.

I'm not sure if I should bother reporting this, or where I would report it. It's not a bug or suggestion, more like a... typo. A programming typo?

I'm sure that someone at ANet will see it. It's on the front page.

At least it gives me something to be entertained about for half a second every time that I check back for new news.

• Like 2

Changing the expansion logo's color is kind of an odd tactic if recognition is important to what you're selling. It's possible they intend to rotate through all the various specs with a different color assigned to each (as Sobx suggested), but even that would be an odd choice. And really, of all the colors they could have picked, I'm kinda surprised they didn't change it to neon green and call it a day.

• Like 2

I think that the reasons that these forum "bugs" bother me so much are:

1) I have covid and can't get out of bed to use my laptop so all I can do is stalk the website from my phone, thus highlighting any website things that I do see

2) New players will be confused if they see different-colored logos for the same expansion, and new players are the ~future~ of any game

3) I consider gw2 to be a high-quality game. With these weird banner things happening (and the weird things happening with my notifications), it feels like the quality has dropped. Also, the last few times that I've been online, I've seen a drastic increase in sexual trolls. More of them in the past two weeks than I can recount from the past 5 years. This also will affect new players' experiences, I'm sure.

4) With how the in-game community and the forum quality is looking to me, I am suddenly wondering about gw2's future. I feel like PoF was their high point and they're only going to fall now.

5) I've had a fever from covid for 5 days straight, so my brain probably isn't working correctly. Don't listen to a word that I say. This thread could be summarized with a few quick points about funny forum things, and the rest is gibberish.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, costepj.5120 said:

Bear in mind you get a different experience on your phone. For example, on the full website there is nothing cutoff on the third banner.

Last year, that same banner would not cut off on my phone.

3 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yeah. It's weird to use autumn colors in the middle of winter.

That's the EoD symbol, which is supposed to be an icy blue. Core GW2 was red, HoT was vine green, PoF was magenta. EoD is supposed to be icy blue. It has nothing to do with the season.

See? New players are getting confused.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Tiamat.8254 said:

Radio silence for 2 weeks - they take Christmas off. It's only fair. On a side note they are probably frantically in crunch now trying to finalize everything for release. 

I don't mind the silence. I mind how their not-silence has been a little off.

It's fine if they're busy, but they shouldn't let that affect the quality of what goes on their official front page.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Embered.5089 said:

Last year, that same banner would not cut off on my phone.

That's the EoD symbol, which is supposed to be an icy blue.

Teal, actually. I know.

Core GW2 was red, HoT was vine green, PoF was magenta. EoD is supposed to be icy blue. It has nothing to do with the season.

See? New players are getting confused.

Nah, i just tried to insert a little humour into all of it. Honestly, by now i learned to not try to apply logic to Anet marketing decisions, because it just makes me even more confused.

Your mistake was in thinking Anet advertising decisions should make sense - but, in reality, they never did.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1