I wish this beta didn't end

I've been stuck on the wrong server all week and have been told by support there is "nothing they can do" multiple times.  I'm not the only one either.  Either fix this issue, or allow support to switch people if there is an issue.  If this happens at launch, you're going to have a huge mess of support tickets on your hands.

1 hour ago, wraith.7243 said:

allow support to switch people if there is an issue.

In my experience, support tools typically are created after a product is finalized.  It's probably not a matter of "allowing" so much as it is a matter of a tool doesn't yet exist.  It would be a complete mess if they did create a tool and support went about using it on buggy code that is still under initial development and creating a deeper rabbit hole.

Better to have the human resources (dev time) spent on developing the main code and getting it right before writing down-stream support tools.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Better to have the human resources (dev time) spent on developing the main code and getting it right before writing down-stream support tools.

Completely disagree. This tool needs to exist before this code is live again -- playing together (through world transfers) is literally the only part of WvW that people have paid real money for.

In my software development experience, for betas, they have most of the engineers on-call for support. A couple of advantages to this:

1. More motivation to not release with major bugs.

2. Can debug and collect information immediately.

3. Faster to roll out changes even mid-beta.

For automation, we always have some sort of backup to manually fix things, especially if the automation is under development. I'd really be surprised if Anet didn't have this. Then again, all our betas are opt-in and we've never had a mandatory beta before.

30 minutes ago, b w.7389 said:

Completely disagree. This tool needs to exist before this code is live again -- playing together (through world transfers) is literally the only part of WvW that people have paid real money for.

What do you propose should happen if the use of such a tool makes the problem worse?  Then you end up having to fix not only the cause of the problem, but any secondary problems.  My point only is that it isn't always a simple thing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Chaba.5410 said:

What do you propose should happen if the use of such a tool makes the problem worse?  Then you end up having to fix not only the cause of the problem, but any secondary problems.  My point only is that it isn't always a simple thing.

I think the same logic that excuses issues with the beta can excuse any issues caused by attempted fixes with a tool. It's a beta.

I was on the wrong team and the overall team balance seemed better in beta 2, but that was just my personal experience.

It was nice having more people to play with at hours my server+link is typically dead.

I'm looking forward to the Alliance system going gold in what I hope will be the not too distant future.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bristingr.5034 said:

Was on the wrong team. We ended up against two stacked teams (one was Maguuma...), it just wasn't fun at all. We weren't allowed to take anything because both teams basically spawn camped us (they refused to fight each other).

What was your end scores?

Just wondering. In the EU I heard lots of people complain about having capped all maps and there being no enemies on reset, but the end scores... they where actually decently even, especially given no tiers due to random matchups. Never checked NA though. The data from gw2stats seems bugged for NA so hard to tell.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

What was your end scores?

Just wondering. In the EU I heard lots of people complain about having capped all maps and there being no enemies on reset, but the end scores... they where actually decently even, especially given no tiers due to random matchups. Never checked NA though. The data from gw2stats seems bugged for NA so hard to tell.

Honestly, I don't remember, just that we were pretty hard in 3rd by the end of Tuesday that I didn't bother logging in for the rest of the beta week. Every night I tried it was just rough from the spawn camping... with one small exception when Maguuma got bored spawn camping us and went for Blue (they were Red), we were able to snipe their T3 SMC as a "kitten you". They didn't let off the spawn camping after that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bristingr.5034 said:

Honestly, I don't remember, just that we were pretty hard in 3rd by the end of Tuesday that I didn't bother logging in for the rest of the beta week. Every night I tried it was just rough from the spawn camping... with one small exception when Maguuma got bored spawn camping us and went for Blue (they were Red), we were able to snipe their T3 SMC as a "kitten you". They didn't let off the spawn camping after that.

Ah yes red had MAG and many kids from green and blue went home with their ball and tears in their eyes.

I was on blue myself and the score of blue and green seemed very close.  I don't blame the beta tho it's pretty clear kids got mad and quit.  The main guild on blue didn't seem to care so there was lots of fights and I had great fun.  Thanks to the FTL alliance/guild

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

What I really miss is open commanders. 

My server has only hidden groups, and you don't even see them on the map. You're supposed to join the discord first, then ask for a password, and only then do you get the invite, and see the commander and the rest of the group. Can't remember when I last saw an open commander tag in WvW.

During the beta, open comms everywhere. And you could find them and join them and see a bunch of new styles of WvW squad leading. But this? Join the discord, join the squad, participate in the same activities against the same enemies as yesterday, main difference being +/- 5 people.

Edited by The Boz.2038
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I logged during evening time (8pm-midnight on EU server) our maps were empty, zero queue even on EBG and we could barely put together a team of 10 pugs to tickle SMC walls before getting blobbed by both the other teams who then proceeded to fight between them in front of our keep.

Then I looked at the scores and we were winning the matchup by a large margin. I guess we had some strong 4am PPT game, but still

• Like 1