Change Memory Gobbler to Obsidan Gobbler

fuzzyp.6295

I know this topic has been brought up many times before, but as we approach the launch of EoD I'd like to once again ask ANet to consider changing the Memory Gobbler into an Obsidian Shard gobbler. As it stands, Memories of Battle are one of the few items in WvW that can be farmed to make a bit of a profit. Using them with the Gobbler is an absolute waste. Obsidian Shards on the other hand are incredibly plentiful and have no real value on their own. Arguably the best use of them is to make Clovers, which I mean, sure but for someone who isn't interested in Legendary Items, what purpose do they have? They're also annoying to delete having to actually type out the name. I have about 1000 shards just sitting in my inventory with another 500 in the bank storage (plus however many my alt accounts have on them...)

If you want to keep the Memory Gobbler, then perhaps allowing us to upgrade it in the forge to also accept shards... Or if not that, then I dunno, maybe after EoD drops and Alliances take off we can get some WvW crafting/forge recipes that use obsidian shards in a worthwhile sink? Either way, c'mon ANet, its time to address this.

And while were at it, can we please get something for the Achievement Emblems as well? It's been almost 2 years at this point since Conflux was introduced, I remember it was said this was being looked into but, like with most things related to WvW, I assume that was just lip service. There isn't even an recipe for Emblem of the Avenger anymore to use the thing...

Edited by fuzzyp.6295
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I'd definitely like an Obsidian Shard eater.

But I don't think it should replace any other currently existing item, nor should its acquisition exclusively be tied to WvW.

If the Memory Gobbler was actually useful, I would just say create a new item. But its really not. 50 Memories of Battle will net you, as of this moment, around 5 gold on the TP. You're trading that to pull from a list of garbage: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Timeless_Bag_of_Items 
I think a case would even be made that having this exist is down right harmful for the player base, some of who may think Memories of Battle are as garbage as bloodstone without ever checking the TP ( although... you'd be hard pressed to find someone who thinks that lol)

EDIT: I suppose there is always the chance that one day Memory of Battle would become obsolete and the Gobbler would be useful again. Still, adding a recipe to the forge to upgrade it by combining both the Memory Gobbler and Shards of Glory Gobbler to produce a Gobbler that eats both of those plus obsidian shards would be a great QoL change for competitive players.

It doesn't have to be exclusively linked to WvW of course, I know players in other game modes have an abundance. But considering the amount thrown at you in WvW, plus the fact that many WvW players stay exclusively in that game mode and can get plenty of clovers through the reward tracks, it really makes Obsidian Shards a redundant material for WvW only players.

PvE players will probably also get more sinks for Obsidian Shards with EoD drops as well. The only sink I'm hoping for is a PvP/WvW focused legendary Accessory so I don't have to waste my time with those ridiculous PvE Achievements for Vision/Aurora.

Edited by fuzzyp.6295

17 minutes ago, fuzzyp.6295 said:

If the Memory Gobbler was actually useful, I would just say create a new item. But its really not. 50 Memories of Battle will net you, as of this moment, around 5 gold on the TP. You're trading that to pull from a list of garbage: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Timeless_Bag_of_Items

Just because there'll little to no value in it, doesn't mean it's fine to take it away from the people who have it and want to keep it for intrinsic reasons (maybe some people simply like having a gobbler collection).

Thus, creating an additional item, instead of replacing one, is the better solution.

Edited by Fueki.4753

To think someone/some people recorded 1,300 gobbles on the [FAST] farming website. The average per use loss is over 7g!

Scratch that actually: to think that some dev added this to the game... 

Someone else summed it better than me (then i stole it for my signature). 

• Like 1

actually a good idea. obsidian shards are amongst the most useless stuff that filled our pockets.

idk where one gets a memory gobbler even from, but whoever considers using a memory gobbler must be nuts. memories give u a lot of useful stuff - or simply good money per stack, at least for the otherwise pretty small  Wvw-income

The gobbler isn't the issue I think, but that the currency is extremely inflated due to low supply.

Don't believe me? Make Conflux, in fact make 2x Conflux, and grind out (not buy) every MoB you use, all ~1700 of them per ring(?), and then see how much you like MoBs as an income source then. The entire implementation of this currency is one of the biggest problems with the WvW reward system, and why it sucks.

They need to make Memories of Battle drop far more often, on par with PvP Shards of Glory, but at the same time add liquid gold rewards to WvW so that the overall gold income is the same, or higher, as selling MoBs is now.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 3

@Hannelore.8153 funnily, MoB are not even the rarest ressource. if u make a new account u realize that. u will first notice that u lack skirmish tickets for literally anything, as they are hard timegated. next, u cannot make a lot of stuff either if u don't own the grandmaster marks / ergo a grind of many months for 1 simple ascended weapon. two wvw ascended weapons are probably timegated like they were legendaries in pvE

but yeah, would probably not hurt. they really have to do something to give us a better payment for our time within Wvw imo. extra gold income would be surely nice, but how - is always the big question.

also, i still don't get which big brain came up with the "emblem of avenger". like okay, i have over 4 stacks now and am after gw2efficiency in the highest 1% or sth alike, but that actually gives u nothing. people delete these stacks as they are factually useless.

(not even talking about the ppt emblem... that one (conqueror? idk) is only a marker that u are currently ppting too much lol)

@Gorem.8104 only sad newbies may use it. like, u have to be really clueless to waste MoBs on a gobbler

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
18 hours ago, scerevisiae.1972 said:

bump.

obsidian shards are a junk item at this point for promoting/forcing bag slot sales, which is pay-to-win-by-stealth.

😑 lol 🤣 you almost got me with a necro post and replying to peeps that may not even still be in game.

Just remove Obi shards as account bound and allow them to be traded. I know a number of players over time that are out of them and have to farm them for things. No design, art coding or extra resources needed, simple data attribute on an item record in the database. And yes I am over simplifying that but still simpler than create an item that eats up andother inventory spot in the least of its complexity.

I have close to 9000+ on an bank alt and alts scattered around.

It will take me 24 years + to exchange 1 everyday with vendor in Black Citadel by which time i think i'll have grandkids.

But i'm not expecting anything anytime soon as it looks like they doing unannounced projects again as per this website.

https://massivelyop.com/2024/01/24/arenanet-opens-up-more-job-postings-for-guild-wars-2-and-its-still-developing-unannounced-project/

Edited by Sleepwalker.1398
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Sleepwalker.1398 said:

I have close to 9000+ on an bank alt and alts scattered around.

It will take me 24 years + to exchange 1 everyday with vendor in Black Citadel by which time i think i'll have grandkids.

But i'm not expecting anything anytime soon as it looks like they doing unannounced projects again as per this website.

https://massivelyop.com/2024/01/24/arenanet-opens-up-more-job-postings-for-guild-wars-2-and-its-still-developing-unannounced-project/

Here I thought the 7500 in my bank + what my toons have on them was a lot 😛