What is something you wish you knew when you started playing?!

On 2/18/2022 at 8:34 PM, Milkshake.4370 said:

LOL a bit of a weird reply since when you start playing a game, you dont immediately start to wiki each thing you encounter....otherwise its not fun? if that is your type of gameplay narrative then enjoy but i can assure you that the majority does not do that LMAO

And yet your very own number 2 item is you'd wished you'd looked things up before salvaging them.  That's the whole point behind typing /wiki in chat and shift-clicking on an item - it pulls up the wiki page for that item.  Now I'm not saying you have to do that all the time, but, when you have questions about something's value, it certainly helps.  I know I hit the wiki at least once a day, and not just for the event timer, and I've been playing for 6 years with over 7500 hours on my alt account.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2022 at 6:01 AM, mazut.4296 said:

That I needed to save legendary fish to feed the turtle... Now I have to catch most of them again...

I haven't unlocked it yet, so what are you talking about?  The closest I can come is needing the 100 fine, 50 masterwork, 10 rare and 5 exotic fish fillets for the Turtle Unlock: Getting Stronger achievement.  You can upgrade the fine to masterwork, masterwork to rare, and rare to exotic at a fishmonger, so I'm not seeing anything in the wiki about needing the legendary fish.

27 minutes ago, Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.294 said:

I haven't unlocked it yet, so what are you talking about?  The closest I can come is needing the 100 fine, 50 masterwork, 10 rare and 5 exotic fish fillets for the Turtle Unlock: Getting Stronger achievement.  You can upgrade the fine to masterwork, masterwork to rare, and rare to exotic at a fishmonger, so I'm not seeing anything in the wiki about needing the legendary fish.

You don't, and you can buy it off the trading post if needed.  You just need it for feeding the baby turtle, and it's nothing extravagant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, honestly? Mainly these 4 things:

1) That I wanted my main to be a Sylvari Ranger. I only - finally - learned this like 2 years ago, but I've been playing for 6 or 7 years now. Imagine how advanced she would be if I had created her right at the beginning!

2) That dailies exist 😛 I had no idea what dailies were or that I could get 2g every day just by doing some simple tasks;

3) That mystic coins are valuable and profitable. Yep, for a long time I just accumulated mystic coins and even sent them to guildies who were needing them, without knowing they were worth so much gold;

4) That fractals give pretty good gold and just get easier and easier the more we do them;

• Like 2

I wish I'd tried playing WvW earlier. I was always interested but for some reason kept coming up with excuses to put it off, telling myself I'd do it later. It's not a big deal in the long run (I started playing WvW just over a year after I started GW2) but it still seems a shame that I put it off so long.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.294 said:

They're talking about the baby turtle in Dragon's End, which is unrelated to the siege turtle.

• Thanks 2

On 4/1/2022 at 1:20 PM, nottsgman.8206 said:

I wish I'd known that right-clicking on utility skills brought up the panel that allows you to switch them instead of trying to click the little up arrow. spent way too much time accidentally activating skills while trying to switch them out back in the day 🤣

I actually learned about this either earlier this year or sometime last year. My first character is like 8.5 years old 😅

• Like 2

11 hours ago, escapay.6301 said:

I actually learned about this either earlier this year or sometime last year. My first character is like 8.5 years old 😅

To be fair, that is a change that was added in the game within the last 5 years.  I don't remember when it came in, but it was after I started playing 6 years ago.  I think it was during the PoF or LWS4 time frame.  But I'm not going back through the patch notes to find it.

1 hour ago, Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.294 said:

To be fair, that is a change that was added in the game within the last 5 years.  I don't remember when it came in, but it was after I started playing 6 years ago.  I think it was during the PoF or LWS4 time frame.  But I'm not going back through the patch notes to find it.

That makes sense. They've added a lot of QOL features over the years.

On 2/17/2022 at 6:42 PM, Milkshake.4370 said:

3) To anyone just starting the game, unlock the raptor mount. Don't worry so much about others, but definitely the raptor mount will improve your gameplay experience in my opinion. When I first started, I hated walking around the huge maps or trying to follow an HP train and not being able to keep up with the groups. If you are joining now, definitely do the level 80 boost and unlock the raptor (I wouldn't get the others just yet because it would spoil the story).

I'm curious about this suggestion.  Once I use my boost, will that unlock the raptor mount for my level 10 character?  

Thank you.

5 hours ago, krellos.6054 said:

I'm curious about this suggestion.  Once I use my boost, will that unlock the raptor mount for my level 10 character?  

Thank you.

The raptor is unlocked once a level 80 character on your account plays through the start of Act I of PoF. Once a mount is unlocked, it is unlocked for every character on your account. Yes, your level 10 character will be able to use the mount. From memory, the only block to a character using the mount is that you must have played through the first part of your new character's story, which will make that character level 2 (?3).

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hesione.9412 said:

The raptor is unlocked once a level 80 character on your account plays through the start of Act I of PoF. Once a mount is unlocked, it is unlocked for every character on your account. Yes, your level 10 character will be able to use the mount. From memory, the only block to a character using the mount is that you must have played through the first part of your new character's story, which will make that character level 2 (?3).

Technically, you don't even have to play through your story on a level 80 toon.  You just have to buy the raptor saddle from the heart vendor before leaving the village in the first story instance in Crystal Oasis - I've done the play through on one of my level 80's and had a person on a level 50 with me.  They completed the heart, bought the saddle, and, voila, had the raptor mount unlocked on their account. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

First off, just in case, put "action camera" in your keybinds to something close to your hand. Idk why this is off by default, but I'm always in action camera mode during gameplay (but you sometimes need an unlocked cursor).

Now one I really wish I knew before hitting 80, you can keybinds combos like shift + whatever. This literally unlocked access to my utilities, since up till that point I barely used them. Now, shift A/S/D are my utilities, shift side mouse is my heal and shift middle is my ult, and they're fired off almost always off cool down (when appropriate of course). I have my mounts on shift+ keys, and a couple of my F abilities changed as well. Went from frantically trying to play piano in HoT maps to... well, at least not playing piano but much more effective

• Confused 1

Wish I’d known about the Ascension progression so I could have gotten credit for all the PvP games I played after I’d done everything tier one except buy the essence and wings.

Wish I’d known to start the Vision collection and make the Memory Encapsulators so I’d have gotten credit for the times I’ve done those fights as well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1