Why do you expect so much from people in Dragon's End meta?!?! [Merged]

2 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

The more I play this meta, the more idiotic the whole idea looks to me. Not the final encounter (suppose its fine for it to be difficult) but everything else around it.

You need 10 stacks of preparation (9 stacks only increases damage by 9%, 10 stacks increases damage by 20%, because why not). So if your squad needs you to fill another role, better know this from the start (I had to switch to a hfb, because "bring the player, not the profession" is marketing/dev BS in this game) and only got the stacks to 9 - events are very hard to find when the comm is not training them (but AFKing, since there is zero reason to do anything on the map other than for the stacks).

You need an organized squad. How do you fit 40-50 players in an already half full map? LFG is full of squads that are half full, on full maps, that are trying to organize. It doesn't work for most of those squads, since players often have to switch characters to fill another role but cant get back in the map instance (because... ta ta... the map is full).

And last, and IMO by far the biggest kitten up. How TF are you supposed to learn to DPS in this game, if you have to install some third party hack (I'm not gonna call a .dll from some website an addon), to track your dps? That hack randomly crashes your game, sometimes after even minor updates? And you added dps checks to an everyday, non-instanced content?

Make this an instanced fight (e..g dragonstorm) and fix the length (atm 20 min, so that your squad fails on the last phase at 10% hp, wasting 20 min, really?). So whoever cares about beating NPC encounters goes with a dedicated group and enjoys.

And add some official and supported way to track your dps. I've no idea how pve players put up with the current "add-on"...

You can see your DPS on the golem in the Lions arch aerodrome. 

No 3rd party thing needed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John.8507 said:

You can see your DPS on the golem in the Lions arch aerodrome. 

No 3rd party thing needed.

I disagree with their overall statement, but I believe he is speaking towards Real Time DPS stats which is way different than when messing with the golems either in the Raid area or in the Mists. 

• Like 1

I know this has all been said., I just need to rant. 

I've spend all my time after finishing story to complete the meta. After around 20+ tries I have gotten to the second split phase a grand total of 3 times (ONLY after they changed it), and managed to complete it only once. The one run, despite only getting 3 useless cc phases when it was 1% to next phase, that seemed like it could be it, and then at the end the boss decides to spam tail and swoop from side to side, and nothing else, while a vast majority got stun locked by bubbles / whirlpools / mobs. Failing with 5% left after 8 hours of trying, and I just can't anymore. 

In one particularly bad attempt I tried to count, just to see how bad the rng was. In the first 6 min we got 3 hand slams, 2 hand swipes, 6 tails, and I stopped counting after the 10th swoop. Oh and 1 cc phase, at which she instantly does tail, then swoops 3 times in a row, wasting all of it even after we somehow managed to break the bar. We spend as much time just moving and waiting to be allowed to do damage, as we did hitting her. 

This amount of rng is bordering on it not even being a designed encounter anymore, it's just pure chance.  
I don't even care about the turtle anymore, I don't want any loot, I just want to be allowed to have a chance to enjoy the meta. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I dont know if anyone else has watched Teapots new video today. The "Meta is so Easy" video fails to bring up the RNG at all. This video is such false advertising for what it is in current state I seriously feel bad for anyone watching it thinking that is all they have to know. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, subgenius.7649 said:

I dont know if anyone else has watched Teapots new video today. The "Meta is so Easy" video fails to bring up the RNG at all. This video is such false advertising for what it is in current state I seriously feel bad for anyone watching it thinking that is all they have to know. 

Just get a raid squad! /s

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, subgenius.7649 said:

Just watched it and it's definitely misleading and will lead to people who watch it getting frustrated because of the aforementioned lack of mentioning RNG. If it was just Attack 1 > Attack 2 > Attack 3, the success rate would be higher and people could actually learn and streamline, but as it is it's like knowing the answers for a test only sometimes you have 15 seconds to jot the answer down and other times 1. Oh and it's a joint score with everyone else taking the test so if not enough people pass, everyone fails.

And you have 20 minutes for the whole test.

It also takes more than 10 hours to get a win unless you're lucky or can join up with a squad of top players. I'm at about 40 hours now between the reset time and how you're required to stay on the map if you want to even try to get into a squad or keep your place on an organized map, and 10 hours would mean getting a win in 5-6 tries which just isn't happening unless someone has lottery luck.

• Like 7

People also need to pay attention and not ignore the chat      Had a coordinated run with my guild earlier today, it was a success with 3 mins left.

Whereas a pug run I tried later....it was a flaming disaster.  Noone paid attention to the callouts for the tail and other tactics. Or they ran around like headless chickens whom didnt realize that if she swooped after the tail got up, it would be right in the face of those whom moments earlier had been whacking on her front.    

The group didnt even manage to push below 60%.  I only stayed for the exp on failure, working up my last mastery track.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

People also need to pay attention and not ignore the chat      Had a coordinated run with my guild earlier today, it was a success with 3 mins left.

Whereas a pug run I tried later....it was a flaming disaster.  Noone paid attention to the callouts for the tail and other tactics. Or they ran around like headless chickens whom didnt realize that if she swooped after the tail got up, it would be right in the face of those whom moments earlier had been whacking on her front.    

The group didnt even manage to push below 60%.  I only stayed for the exp on failure, working up my last mastery track.

That's the thing about meta events. It should be designed where the map chat isn't absolutely required. Failing a Tail or break bar is devastating for DPS. Fail 2 and you might as well pack it up and try on a fresh map. Timer is so tight there's little room for failure.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The people saying it's 'hard content', it's not exactly mechanically hard, it's artificially hard because the timer is pretty tight,  all it would take is a additional 3-5 minutes for this to be easier completed, since a large chunk of the time is spent on the boss being invuln or phasing, or RNG Hunger bite lane back to back.  

Edited by Lucentfir.7430
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

Which is why you don't typically put content that requires constant communication for a chance to succeed in the open world. Not everyone reads English, not everyone has chat turned on (especially less than a week after an expansion where people disable map to avoid story spoilers), and people could have blocked each other thus not see messages.

Chat is definitely handy but it shouldn't be essential in non-instanced content.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

Got the fight done, 7th time, so not as bad as others. But only with 1 minute to spare, and we did have a few cc's which all went well too.  Seemed like the fight was going pretty well but then it went to down the last minute following the final split phase so was still pretty close in the end. 

The fight overall is really very well done, with the design, just maybe need to stop it being so random with the way the different phases happen. 

Will keep doing it, maybe not as often but its a good fight to do, just not sure why the whirlpool's have a breakbar, its very hard to save someone when they are stuck in them, and not many people aim for the bubbles, but at least you can get yourself out of those. 

And its hard to know if the spears hit anything when theres nothing to target. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Legit question then if they don't plan on fixing this fight; what are the best classes/builds to run for maximum DPS for this Meta?

I main a trapper Dragonhunter and he has high burst DPS but it's more about killing quickly with excellent mobility to avoid hits. Kind of like being a pocket raptor haha. I took him through the expansion but feel even he can't deal enough DPS to help. I have other alts but want opinions for this. It's sad I have to start asking this, but maybe this is the only way aside from RNG.

Edited by Caitybee.3614
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Caitybee.3614 said:

Legit question then if they don't plan on fixing this fight; what are the best classes/builds to run for maximum DPS for this Meta?

I main a trapper Dragonhunter and he has high burst DPS but it's more about killing quickly with excellent mobility to avoid hits. Kind of like being a pocket raptor haha. I took him through the expansion but feel even he can't deal enough DPS to help. I have other alts but want opinions for this. It's sad I have to start asking this, but maybe this is the only way aside from RNG.

DPS really isn't the issue. It's CC for burn phases and movement for Tail phase. If you can get everyone on Tail or using their CC when the head's break bar appears you'll do fine. I've seen groups try to split damage on head and tail at the same time, but since there's 60% dmg reduction while tail is up there's really no point. So it all comes down to communication (and portals if you have them).

I almost want to say as far as DPS goes run whatever you want. In a group of 50+ people even if you're top DPS the bottom 10-15 people are still what's dragging the group down. Those are the people who don't go to the forums, don't care about builds and are just having fun in their own way. Support builds are 100% important though.

• Thanks 2

That was my 22nd fail. Between 16 and 22 I had three potential successes where we were doing well and then the boss started leaving little room for time to actually fight her. Back to back tsunamis. The tail is sometimes not showing up but the icon is. 
We hit what has to be an enrage timer and it was game over even though we still had time. I am getting more and more frustrated. I have played with this franchise since the start. Since 2005. I play in Fractals, I have done raids. I do strikes regularly. Yet I cannot seem to hit that group open world where we can successfully beat this meta. 

Please adjust this boss, without nerfing it, so that it can be successfully completed a lot more often than it is. THIS IS AN OPEN WORLD META!  THIS IS NOT A RAID!

Edited by Brangwen Liana.5632
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Caitybee.3614 said:

It's not so much about DPS but about mobility and skill recharge (which, yes, will add to overall damage. Granted.). If you can manage to have reasonable good quickness and alacrity in your subgroups you should be fine. Also, sometimes range damage seems better because you don't need to stand in between 38 other players with their effects and nametags. It's just for your sanity and situational awareness.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hollowhisper.1093 said:

It's not so much about DPS but about mobility and skill recharge (which, yes, will add to overall damage. Granted.). If you can manage to have reasonable good quickness and alacrity in your subgroups you should be fine. Also, sometimes range damage seems better because you don't need to stand in between 38 other players with their effects and nametags. It's just for your sanity and situational awareness.

I did that actually, I use GS mainhand, and Sceptar/Focus offhand. I was hitting her with the Sceptar skills and Sword of Justice as ranged when I couldn't get close to her hand/tail due to her own attacks or acid drops on the ground. Everyone seems to be getting the hang of her mechanics quite well, it's just a matter of the timing and RNG needing to be balanced.

3 hours ago, Brangwen Liana.5632 said:

Please adjust this boss, without nerfing it, so that it can be successfully completed a lot more often than it is. THIS IS AN OPEN WORLD META!  THIS IS NOT A RAID!

Which is the crux of the issue. As Mukluk said, it's a non-consensual raid and both sides are getting angry about it and angry at other players because of it.

Keep this kind of content in raids/fractals/strikes, don't force it on those who have no desire to play it and intentionally don't do such content. The open world is to have fun, not be told to "git gud" by other players and a company that build an MMO around casual, friendly play that's supposed to be intuitive and not require outside resources unless you're with friends or doing instanced hard content.

It had the potential to be a fun, engaging meta but was ruined by artificial difficulty and the expectation that players will regularly dedicate 2 hours to something that fails far more than it succeeds.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

The RNG destroys runs. Swoop from one side to the other. Swoop swoop swoop. And the VERY tight timer keeps ticking.

This is an incredibly badly designed encounter. At least give the swoop a at least 30 seconds cd. And/or let there only be one tail-phase every 20%.

But as it stands, current rng can and will screw over alot of your attempts.

This is the cherry on the cake of disappointment that is End of Dragons. Having this after IBS seriously injured my loyalty to this game, wich was a abusive relationship to begin with: Even though it treated me badly, I still kept along in hope everything would be fine one day. But I am starting to suspect that it won't.

Edited by Imba.9451
  • Like 9

At this point I'm under the conclusion that someone somewhere stroking a Persian cat in hand like a bond villain, who makes decisions for an un-named video game company, .... who is laughing at his or her player base.  Thinking of more ways to traumatize people like a Milgrams experiment, and buff an un-named Meta, or create a means to allow for players to get a game marketed item, by forcing the player to spend about 100 real world dollars worth of game currency materials. How can they abuse their player base even more?

I'm not naming names or game companies, but at this point it's obvious.

Anet, don't be that guy above. Go back to read your manifesto.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

To provide an update since I have been participating in this discussion, yesterday was my day. I got into a group that beat the meta. What was our winning formula?
1. A high level of coordination
1. Using comms so we could listen to the commander's direction
3. A commander who had successfully beat the boss himself, multiple times, and knew the fight backwards and forwards
4. NO yelling and demoralizing of players, but clear, simple calm direction
5. A full group
6. A good bit of luck due to rng

I ran with this commander twice. First time we lost, that was 23 for me. We got the boss to 5% and then she started her squirrely behavior, bad rng, and we couldn't pull it off. 

Most of us stayed with the commander as he was running again and it was clear he knew what he was doing. That time we beat it with a little bit of time left on the clock. 

I still believe this needs to be adjusted. The casual player is going to get driven away by the inability to complete this meta as is and they will write off the game. It doesn't need much adjusting, but it needs some. I like the meta, but I probably won't go back there except to help guildies working on it unless the meta gets a tweak. That is a shame as the fight is cool, its just too hard for open world. 

• Like 3