Why do you even want the turtle?

1 minute ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Not only an MMOs, if mobas or any other online game would give you all the rewards and the best positioning for free, there would be really no point in playing them.

Well, I played games back in the 90s and the reward for playing those SNES or N64 games was the game itself. Sorry but that is the gist. I think especially since the Diablo era, people play for rewards and not for the game(play) experience.

• Confused 4

First, there is a meta designed around having the turtle in Echovald, so - from a pure gameplay perspective - there is a reason to have it.

Second, and most important, it doesnt matter why players want it.  You might as well ask why do we want the raptor or gliding.  It is a new way to experience parts of the game, so it's exclusion would mean not getting to have that experience (when that experience was advertised on every promotion for EOD for the past year). It doesn't matter if that part of the game is mandatory (no part of the game is mandatory) or not. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, ProtoGunner.4953 said:

People are aggressive to each other because their education, western cultural background tells them they are eligible to get everything presented on a gold plated dinner tray without working on it. An MMO is made for longevity and longevity means you can't get everything fast. Deal with it.

It’s not about fast, it’s about specific types of content people don’t enjoy. That’s why we have the perennial complaint threads about GoB, world completion, and jumping puzzles.

Sometimes ANet gets it, and offers multiple avenues to achieve rewards, like legendary armor. Other times, they decide they want to push players into one type of content, so they make things exclusive.

It really should only be desirable cosmetics and achievement points that are locked exclusively behind niche content.

Expansion defining features like the turtle and fully upgraded Jade bots should not. It’s doubly bizarre that these things are locked behind strikes, when you can use neither of them there. At least when ascended gear was first released, fractal players had the argument that it was only really useful inside fractals.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

31 minutes ago, ProtoGunner.4953 said:

People are aggressive to each other because their education, western cultural background tells them they are eligible to get everything presented on a gold plated dinner tray without working on it. An MMO is made for longevity and longevity means you can't get everything fast. Deal with it.

I'm torn here, cause there are loads of legit reasons to dunk on western culture, but this is so off the mark. Like it's a business model... they purposefully make things desirable and then make them hard to get so people will keep logging in... and then you criticize people for... wanting the thing that the company was hoping they would want so badly they'd spend significant amounts of their free time to chase and wanting it a little bit sooner or a little bit easier than the company hoped they'd be willing to put up with. Like what. Do you order a burger at a fast food place and then ask to go back there and make it yourself because you're supposed to have to work on it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Not only in MMOs, if mobas or any other online game would give you all the rewards and the best positioning for free, there would be really no point in playing them.

Though in these games you play the MOBA to get rewards to play the MOBA. If said MOBA required you to play Sudoku to unlock the best positioning, how would the players react?

The problem here is that an MMO has several, varied types of content, and in order to try and get the players to do one type, ArenaNet has locked the features of a different kind of content behind it.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

I'm torn here, cause there are loads of legit reasons to dunk on western culture, but this is so off the mark. Like it's a business model... they purposefully make things desirable and then make them hard to get so people will keep logging in... and then you criticize people for... wanting the thing that the company was hoping they would want so badly they'd spend significant amounts of their free time to chase and wanting it a little bit sooner or a little bit easier than the company hoped they'd be willing to put up with. Like what. Do you order a burger at a fast food place and then ask to go back there and make it yourself because you're supposed to have to work on it.

But without this business model people don't login and don't buy stuff with money and the game comes to a halt/end. It's the dilemma of the MMO.

• Confused 4

Turtle has only 3 practical uses :
- Giving noobs a tour of their starting area
- Save a few mats in drizzlewood, replacing the bomb
- Save a few minutes in DE's meta (but ending early doesnt give more time on the boss so who cares)

The average turtle experience is : Be excited you got it, end the collection, try it for 10 mins and never take it out again

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ProtoGunner.4953 said:

But without this business model people don't login and don't buy stuff with money and the game comes to a halt/end. It's the dilemma of the MMO.

Well that part I'm with you on. I don't know of any MMO that survives without it in one way or another. I do think it's a clear balancing act though. I mean, Path of Fire basically hands you the Raptor, but it makes some of the other mounts a bit more involved to get. I don't pretend to know how to balance it all, but it seems evident that you have to find some balance between time-consuming goals and making everything easy to get upfront. Too much of the 1st and people disengage because the goal is too daunting or hard or whatever else. Too much of the 2nd and they say there is nothing left to do. I personally think legendaries in this game are too much of the 1st, but I know not everyone would agree with me on that.

• Like 1

Yeah I was lucky and finished the Dragon's End meta at my first try, brought the egg and saw there is a collection to do after the  food stuff and quit it. Will do it in a couple of weeks. I played the Turtle in the Beta and found it okay, it's fun to play an event with someone else, but the movement is rather annoying though I like the 'realism'. Anyways, there will be cool turtle mounts skins to buy and I love mount skins 🙂

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Blaeys.3102 said:

Second, and most important, it doesnt matter why players want it.  You might as well ask why do we want the raptor or gliding.  It is a new way to experience parts of the game, so it's exclusion would mean not getting to have that experience (when that experience was advertised on every promotion for EOD for the past year). It doesn't matter if that part of the game is mandatory (no part of the game is mandatory) or not. 

I think perhaps you misunderstood the point of my question. The point of the question wasn't to ridicule or dissuade anyone who wants it, but to see and/or possibly motivate myself into working for something I had yet to see the value of.  And I DID learn that there was something of value beyond what I had initially perceived.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Blaeys.3102 said:

First, there is a meta designed around having the turtle in Echovald, so - from a pure gameplay perspective - there is a reason to have it.

Wait. Isn't the meta done to get the Turtle? Or is this a different meta?

On 3/12/2022 at 9:15 PM, Karanoia.2091 said:

First off, I gotta say: I play 70-80% of the time with my fiance, and being together on one mount is kinda cute and fun. However,  we paid for the expansion because we love the game and thought it would be nice to contribute to a company who deserves our dollars. We have had many enjoyable hours together with this game. Also, bonus; more maps and story, etc. We also thought we would get turtles and that's cute too.

But the 'getting the turtle' thing is a little crazy. We both have jobs and kids and decided having the turtle mount is not important. It's slow. It does some damage, I guess but we do damage separately that's considerable. So we're just gonna skip it for now because it's not worth the time.

What I want to know is why everyone is hating on each other over this meta? Everyone is so angry with each other and ArenaNet. Is there something I'm not getting? Is it the prestige? Is it just so cute? What's the big deal here? 

What am I missing?!

Alot of people probably want the turtle mount because when you go to the guildwars2.com home page, right at the top is a big picture of the siege turtles with a quote "Ready to ride? The third expansion Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons, is here".

Or all the marketing anet has done about the "all new multiplayer mount: SIEGE TURTLE".

Or maybe the "Meet the Siege Turtle Mount" News anet posted here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/meet-the-siege-turtle-mount/ . Anet forgot to mention your heart won't be filled with a siege turtle mount if the map doesn't bring enough raid builds.

Sometimes it’s impossible to know what’s missing in our lives until we see it. In Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons™, you’ll be able to fill the place in your heart that’s reserved for a giant turtle equipped with state-of-the-art siege weaponry—and share the love by bringing a friend along for the ride.

What I am trying to say is anet created hype about the siege turtle mount and then gated it behind an overtuned meta and strikes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

I quickly glanced at all the replies, but there is one major reason why people would want their turtles...

Is to REMOVE the OBNOXIOUS "TRAIN YOUR MASTERY" pop-up coming out when you max level all the other EoD Masteries.

As the Siege Turtle Mastery Line is only  "Locked" and not "Hidden" all EXP Gained (that could go into Spirit Shards) are wasted, so if you just want the loot in any of the Expansion METAs... that's fair, but all that extra EXP that could go into the "remaining" masteries is just pure and simply wasted until you unlock that line.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 9:15 PM, Karanoia.2091 said:

First off, I gotta say: I play 70-80% of the time with my fiance, and being together on one mount is kinda cute and fun. However,  we paid for the expansion because we love the game and thought it would be nice to contribute to a company who deserves our dollars. We have had many enjoyable hours together with this game. Also, bonus; more maps and story, etc. We also thought we would get turtles and that's cute too.

But the 'getting the turtle' thing is a little crazy. We both have jobs and kids and decided having the turtle mount is not important. It's slow. It does some damage, I guess but we do damage separately that's considerable. So we're just gonna skip it for now because it's not worth the time.

What I want to know is why everyone is hating on each other over this meta? Everyone is so angry with each other and ArenaNet. Is there something I'm not getting? Is it the prestige? Is it just so cute? What's the big deal here? 

What am I missing?!

For me, getting the turtle is about fairness. If you think you have a fair chance at a prize, then find out you never did, well, I just don't like being treated that way. I don't really know why some people are so hateful. I can not stand smug bullies myself, but I usually just block them.

Edited by SimulationOfLife.4657
Clarity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

The turtle is ridiculously overhyped, its not remotely useful at all.

As said earlier, you might save a few minutes, nothing more. Which is completely irrelevant since DE revolves around the final encounter against Soo-won.

I have it, and outside funsies with taking it out and playing with it, Ive hard to see what its good for. A swing and a miss for this mount, sadly so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Poopaw.1370 said:

of course it would not agree with the region involved, but a char tank would make my day. It has become much !!! easier to attain, and it's all about AP, MPs, and getting that last fish out of the barrel - the mount HP boost.

I'd prefer a Siege Devourer over a Charr tank.

And regions don't usually matter when it's just a Gemstore skin (I can imagine Arenanet putting out that tank or Siege Devourer as a skin for the turtle).

Edited by Fueki.4753

Because i like the mount as simple as that.

I do not have skyscale as i do not find getting it fun at all hell even the griffon took me years to get as i just do not find it fun to get i like flying it fun but getting it no.

And i really wished turtle would be more fun to get but instead its again behind some crap that i do not care at all.

My favorite mounts are the first few that i got just by questing and i did like getting jackal but everything after that has been like drinking poison.

When i have to watch hours of youtube videos how to get a mount or anything else in game is where i usually lose interest.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

It’s simply not needed at all which is disappointing. You can get one for loaner in drsgon’s end meta for like a few events but that’s all. I wish they would expand it for use in new wvw maps and other pve content. Tahida world boss comes to mind or drizzlewood coast metas…. I was hoping for some cool underwater metas to utilize its abilities underwater, etc. I found it useful for Cardinal Adina raid where you have one person shoot its cannons to start the battle. I bet it would be interesting the more people who get it to see more uses. Imagine ganging up on world bosses populated with all turtles and all if that ammunition? Could be fun.

Edited by Dark Red Killian.3946

3 minutes ago, Dark Red Killian.3946 said:

It’s simply not needed at all which is disappointing. You can get one for loaner in drsgon’s end meta for like a few events but that’s all. I wish they would expand it for use in new wvw maps and other pve content. Tahida world boss comes to mind or splinterwood coast metas…. I was hoping for some cool underwater metas to utilize its abilities underwater, etc. I found it useful for Cardinal Adina raid where you have one person shoot its cannons to start the battle. I bet it would be interesting the more people who get it to see more uses. Imagine ganging up on world bosses populated with all turtles and all if that ammunition? Could be fun.

if by splinterwood coast you mean drizzlewood coast, the siege turtle actually does deal bonus damage to the gates, they reused the 'reinforced' buff that's on the gates in the dragons end meta on the shields and the rubble (and i checked both the canon and the siege turtle's slam ability, both work on the gates). unfortunately the siege turtles do not deal damage to the taidha covington gate, i checked that too.

• Like 1

I am not interested in the turtle, and never have been.  I never liked the big turtles in GW Factions.  I felt they were stupid then, and still do. That was not a selling point of the expansion for me. I understand it was for others, and really dislike the way ANet presented it as a big part of the expansion - then you do not get it until the end. Crappy move.

My ranger is more interested in the turtle pet. I have not gotten to that part yet, I hope they are fun pets. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

My ranger is more interested in the turtle pet. I have not gotten to that part yet, I hope they are fun pets. 😎

I got the turtle pet and they are fun though occasionally mine seems to forget that it is suppose to be helping. I'm shooting like crazy and there's no pet. I look around and its off eating grass which I guess is a bug but it adds to its charm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Ithlia.1830 said:

I got the turtle pet and they are fun though occasionally mine seems to forget that it is suppose to be helping. I'm shooting like crazy and there's no pet. I look around and its off eating grass which I guess is a bug but it adds to its charm.

What turtle pet are you talking about?