Idea: Elite Specialization Design Contest

BenaSPACE.6028

With another expansion on the (quite distant) horizon, I can't help but feel that this might be a great opportunity to let players offer some input on what they would like to see next in the game. 

I propose opening an elite specialization design contest, in which players design them based on set parameters and themes.

For example, the next expansion might shoot for a gothic fantasy sort of theme, and so maybe you'd like to see a fitting elite specialization that centers around creepiness, or horror, or what have you. 

What are your thoughts? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele

Or no new elite specs but a bunch of new weapon types and core traitlines.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BenaSPACE.6028 said:

With another expansion on the (quite distant) horizon, I can't help but feel that this might be a great opportunity to let players offer some input on what they would like to see next in the game. 

I propose opening an elite specialization design contest, in which players design them based on set parameters and themes.

For example, the next expansion might shoot for a gothic fantasy sort of theme, and so maybe you'd like to see a fitting elite specialization that centers around creepiness, or horror, or what have you. 

What are your thoughts? 

I think there are more than enough bad Fanfic Elite Spec ideas or "proposed reworks" without offering a prize.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

I want:

1. Thief with offhand torch. Spec focuses on the revealed mechanic more than stealth, and putting revealed on yourself will be part of the gameplay, which would drastically change the way thief plays.

2. Warrior with staff or spear  and has chant abilities. These should differ from shouts as they will drain adrenaline as theya re out and only 1 can be active at a time, and they will pulse effects. You will be encouraged to play a series of them and by combining them in a certain order they will have a final effect. This borrows from paragon in gw1 but modernises it. 

I'd also settle for this being a mesmer spec as a bard with a bow, but shattering in a certain order while the chant is active will trigger the final effect of the 'song'.

3. Revenant Togo spec. I'm still sore that this wasn't the legend added in EoD. Revenant doesn't have a pure caster archetype yet. Give it a scepter and focus and all the magics.

That's all I can think of for now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

longbow or dual pistol ele

Yes, but instead of shooting arrows or magic with your longbow you will instead use it as a bat in melee range to beat others because we can't have those pesky elementalists going ranged on us now can we?

Edited by Mortime.1359
  • Like 4

Warrior: Support 

Guardian: An "Evil" guardian. Necro/guard mix. 

Rev: No idea. 

Ele: Rifle/Longbow. I like the idea of magic bullets. 

Mesmer: Maybe go into the Chaos Storm route. Mesmer/Ele mix with lots of AoEs. 

Necro. Everything as long as it isn't op for ones. 

Thief: No idea. 

Engi:  Mechanical Longbow? After 3 Melee Spec we could need something ranged. 

Ranger: A viable Wvw Spec attempt Nr 3.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

With all the talk about Bow Ele, I always feel in the minority with Rifle Ele.
Fire - Condi Flamethrower, Water - Vulnerability Submachine Gun, Air - Railgun/Sniper, Earth - Shotgun. Although it's more a fun thought than actual viable design prompts. Introduce Ammo system for Attunement swaps as well and we got ultimate chaos.

On another note, since we now got Hammer despite one of our conjure Weapons being Hammer, that opens up all the other conjure weapons for main weapons as well. The only weapon I can't believe Ele will receive anytime soon if ever is Torch.

Mesmer: rifle for magic bullets

Ele: longbow bombardment spec 

Rev: razah ritualist spec

Guardian: guard can sit this one out, they have enough already 😜 I kid. I would have liked to make something more monkish but too many skill types cover that so I would say something like a paragon using chants which are like shouts with cast times? Weapon spear if they ever allow it otherwise shortbow.

Necromancer: also has the problem of designs overlapping because of what it has now but a vampiric spec focused on life steal would probably be a popular theme. Weapon mace or hammer.

Warrior: hard one to say but either melee staff or dual pistol gunslinger spec.

Thief: offhand sword, gw1 assassin inspired spec.

Engineer: actually no idea what to do here as I dislike engie on an aesthetic level😅

Ranger: scout spec, rifle, turns pet into a support device rather than a damage add on, stats are focused on the ranger itself.

• Confused 1

I want a blood Letting version of Necro with an undead dragon minion. Give us access to the sword off hand. 

Revenant I want ACTUAL GW1 INSPIRED Ritualist! Let me beat my opponents face in with a urn that uses crafting materials to power. I want my shades to move as I do and when in combat root in place. I want the spirits to shackle my opponents in terror as I feed off of their life force and into my communal urn. Scepter Revenant in off hand

17 hours ago, Serephen.3420 said:

Mesmer: rifle for magic bullets

Ele: longbow bombardment spec 

Rev: razah ritualist spec

Guardian: guard can sit this one out, they have enough already 😜 I kid. I would have liked to make something more monkish but too many skill types cover that so I would say something like a paragon using chants which are like shouts with cast times? Weapon spear if they ever allow it otherwise shortbow.

Necromancer: also has the problem of designs overlapping because of what it has now but a vampiric spec focused on life steal would probably be a popular theme. Weapon mace or hammer.

Warrior: hard one to say but either melee staff or dual pistol gunslinger spec.

Thief: offhand sword, gw1 assassin inspired spec.

Engineer: actually no idea what to do here as I dislike engie on an aesthetic level😅

Ranger: scout spec, rifle, turns pet into a support device rather than a damage add on, stats are focused on the ranger itself.

I think everyone agrees revenant needs ritualist

funny enough i been conceptualizing ideas for new elite specs myself. shared a few on a discord and people seemed to really like my warrior idea. i'd be down for a contest like this (probably up to 3 entries)

sadly me not smart enough to completely create ideas so i generally ignore traits, i'd probably suggest like an idea for top mid and bottom line for their intents.

Warrior : can swap between 4 weapons + sustain

Guardian: increased passive bonus + power burst + sustain

Rev : aJormag legend + chills 

Ranger: stealth ambush trapper

Engineer: axe + more turrets(after buff) + condi bleed

Thief : shadow step spam 

Elementalist : elemental armor(shadowshroud) creates elemental upon exit + power burst

Mesmer: long bow minion mancer (clones repeat attacks)  + cc

Necro : as long as it's not op I'm good

EDIT: ranger I actually do care

Edited by Infinity.2876
  • Confused 2

My thoughts are that most if not all players are ill-suited to design elite specs (and I'm not even talking about balance here because that is up to Anet, I'm talking about general mechanics). 

We've all seen how hard it is for Anet themselves, and they are professionals.

And even if there are a few well designed specs among the entries, what if the masses simply not vote for those?

And I say all of that as someone who enjoys creating my own elite specs. 

• Thanks 1

Let's just offer a bit of context.

For this set of e-spec, I'm imagining an expansion that take place into bubble area deep underwater in the middle of the ocean. It would be mostly land, a relatively dark environment lighted by fluorescent corals and algae with rivers floating in the air. The place would be inhabited by Quaggans, water Djinns, Kraith, Naga, Largos, Kappa and, for the fun, the Margonites as a human tribe (not transformed into demons) still following the precept of Abbadon (the god of water and secret) despite their god no longer answering their prayers.

So, now, how would the different professions evolve in such environment?

- Elementalist: The elementalist would become an Adept of the precepts of Abbadon and add "secret" into it's element, in order to hide within. They unlock deception skills and have access to a set of unique Stealth attack on F5 based on the attunment they channel. There woud be a minor trait that transform Fire fields and Water fields into smoke fields in order to sustain the gameplay.

- Engineer: The engineers would be Pilots, using their vehicle to move around within and between Bubbles. They now have access to a transformation skill into a mechanic vehicle with access to unique skill based on the utilities selected (AA would be standard, Skill#5 would be based on the chosen heal skill and skill#2-3-4 would be based on the utility taken).

- Guardian: The guardians would be Zealots, the last bastion of the faith to Abbadon. They lose access to the virtues but can transform into Margonites (GW demon form) wielding the power of the virtue they traited (3 GM traits: Justice demon, Honor demon and couragous demon corresponding respectively to condi build, healing build and "tank" build). They would have access to Glyphs. (A spec similar to druid in how it work)

- Mesmer: Where else would we have our sound based mesmer spec? I believe ideas have already been given for such a spec.

- Necromancer: In an abyssal environment full of darkness, the necromancers have grown into Warlocks. This spec would be an auramancer with a focus on gaining and sharing dark aura through short leaps into dark fields. The shroud is similar to harbinger's shroud (no blight thought), offering a backward leap/teleport, a skill that grant dark aura with a follow up skill detonating dark aura, a skill that summon a shadow to deal damage to the targeted foe at melee range (a fantasm) and a channeled skill that blind, slow and weaken foes around the warlock.

- Ranger: The ranger would be a Wave Warden, losing access to common pet in exchange for a set of Ghostfishs that deal clone amount of damage but have 95% damage reduction. Each F2 skill would be a ghostseal passively providing extra stats to the ranger but that you can "break" to make your Ghostfish unleash a "powerful" skill. 

- Revenant: Kraith inspired spec with the Oratuss. A spec with a F2 that periodically slow foes around and summon snakes (necromancer's horror but that poison instead of bleed) at the cost of an upkeep in energy. The legend skills would be about controlling foes (hard CC, immob... etc.)

- Thief: In a dark environment, the thiefs focus less on hiding and more on making the things they look for stand out. The thief is a Hunter, he reveal his foes making them vulnerable to his attacks.

- Warrior: Within the depth one should be fearless, the warrior become a Dreadnought. Fearless themself, these warrior like to strike fear into the soul of their foes. How about a fear spec for warrior?

• Confused 1

Soyjack meme of me pointing out towards my idea for a warrior espec. 

Give me my kitten Demonslayer warrior capable heavily on the non-dming condis and semi support  (some big boons hare centered around the main mechanic). Bro I may come up with a trait line too! 

Edited by Grand Marshal.4098
  • Like 1

With the skiffs introduction, I was thinking more about pirate specs, e.g.

Mesmer — Duelist.
Weapon: Mainhand pistol.
Instead of shatters and clones, Duelist would use different types of magical ammunition enchanting next few attacks.

Thief — Bandit.
Bandits are brutal fighters, tired of hiding and waiting for a chance to attack. Instead of stealthy, sneaky combat, they prefer to face their enemies for a quick execution.
Weapon: Mainhand mace
Steal becomes an "Execute" — different types of executing skills, depending on your weapon. Available only after spending your initiative.
Engineer — Explorer.
Explorers are treasure hunters, but their findings are not meant to be sold or put in the museum — artifacts, imbued with ancient power, are Explorer's main weapon.
Weapon: Offhand dagger.
Toolbelt skills becomes artifacts; their power can be activated for a brief time and each one of them has different effect: they can enchance your weapon, release curses, and protect you from enemies.

Ranger — Sharpshooter.

Regular arrows are not enough on the sea. It's time to bring real firepower.

Weapon: Rifle.

Elementalist — Arcane Archer.
Arcane Archers don't need loud weapons, they just need something to carry their destructive magic.
Weapon: Longbow.
Attunements will no longer affect your weapon skills exept basic arrow (autoattack), but you gain 5th attunement — The Arcane. Stow your weapon and use arcane magic with your bare hands.

Necromancer — The Oracle.

Now your nightmare comes to life.
Weapon — Mainhand sword.

Shroud is no longer a necromancer's main weapon. Oracle would use Visions to predict foe's next moves, read their minds and use all fears against them.

Warrior — give them a staff and support, so they're actually useful.

Revenant — pirate legends and shout skills.

Guardian — explosives.

• Confused 1

Random idea:
Guardian > Spiritualist
Lose access to two handed weapons.
Off-hand weapon skill are deactivated and are only used as sigil and infusion holders. 
Gain access to new off-hand skills based on F1-F3 skills.
F1-F3 skills renamed to Manifestations, they're instant cast.
F1-F3 always overwrites off-hand skills.
F1-F3 skills use stats of weapons they manifest.
F1 - summon dagger - damage
F2 - summon focus - support
F3 - summon shield - defense
The summoned weapons from F1-F3 skills are also considered as Manifestations.
Passives of core are 50% stronger, only active when using corresponding Manifestation.
The active of core counterparts are integrated in Manifested weapon skills one way or another.
Cooldown of Manifestations is 10s like core Elementalist Attuments.
New main hand weapon - Dagger - 900 range, focuses on life steal.
Skill 3 works like thieves or weavers principle, changes dependant on weapons and manifestation combinations.
Utility Skills - Spectrals.
Kit focuses around smooth gameplay and capibility to answer to situations instantly via skills of Manifestations.
Primarly focus on life stealing and boon/condition management on enemy.

Too lazy to think about weapon skills, utilities, traits and their exact effects, but that's rough idea that just popped up while drinking tea. Traits could do stuff like increasing base vitality, some fancy interaction with spectral skills, Manifestation could have reduced cooldowns or additional effects etc. Spectral Skills could have additional effects if you for example pass through enemies or something like that, like remove additional boon or apply additional condition or stuffs.

I had ideas for other classes, but since I didn't write them down, I forgor.

Bonus 1:
Superior Rune of Spiritualist:
1) +25 Vitality
2) Every 10th incoming strike damage reduces all cooldownds by 2s. Cooldown 20s.
3) +50 Vitality
4) Every 5th incoming strike damage is reduced by 33%. Cooldown 5s.
5) +100 Vitality
6) If your health falls below 50% you gain Spectral Intervention that lasts 5s. Reduce incoming damage by 66%. Cooldown 90s.

Bonu 2:

Superior Rune of Staves Mastery:
1) +25 Power
2) Reduce incoming damage by 10% if enemy is within 360 radius of player.
3) +50 Power
4) Increase outgoing damage by 0,5% per 1 stack of might.
5) +100 Power
6) Increase casting speed of skills by 33% if using staff weapon.

• Confused 1

On 3/27/2022 at 2:02 PM, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Soyjack meme of me pointing out towards my idea for a warrior espec. 

Give me my kitten Demonslayer warrior capable heavily on the non-dming condis and semi support  (some big boons hare centered around the main mechanic). Bro I may come up with a trait line too! 

Refining my idea keheheh

Name: Demonslayer

Role: Roamer/Offensive Support

Weapon: Staff

Mechanic: Abandonment/Awakening

Skills: Weaken (Heal), Repose (Stunbreak), Spectral Devouring, Spectral Pursuit, Spectral Shielding, Afetrimage Technique

Traits:

Staff Skills:

AA: Strike, Sweep, Drain (3-target skills, with a base coeff for comp of around 450, first hit dmg, second cripple, third weakness).

Skill 2: Spin (5-target spin which deals 2 packets of dmg with a 550 coeff per strike per target, applies 3 might if it hits).

Skill 3: Flanking Charge (3-target attack, sidestep and evade for 3/4 s to flank the enemy and strike, 600 coeff, if you succesfully flank steal health from each enemy struck, clears chill slow and immob).

Skill 4: Guard/Retaliate (3-target attack, channeled 1 sec block, flips over to Retaliate 800 coeff if attacks are blocked, deliver a strike to enemies and immobilize them for 2 sec).

Skill 5: Quake (5-target attack, leap forward for 500 range and strike the group with your staff, inflicting 5 vulnerability and slow, 1000 coeff, succefully landing dmg recharges Skill 2 "Spin").

F1 Burst: Arc (5-target attack, blast forward for 500 range and daze enemies on impact for 1/4 sec, grant 5 sec Vigor to allies and inflict enemies with Chill and 5 vulnerability, 950 coeff).

Mechanic:

Normal triple bar adrenaline, or Spectral Energy.

F1 remains as is for core weapon bursts and staff, counts only as T1 adrenaline use.

F2: (Abandonment) becomes a 50% all dmg reduction (2 sec) 1 Aegis stack guard position which builds up adrenaline based on attacks mitigated and releases aoe defensive boons (resi, reso, prot, regen 5 sec) on allies when it ends (counts as T2 burst).

F3: (Awakening) consumes all adrenaline built (T1, T2, T3) for an AoE mobility buff on allies (superspeed, stab(3) 7 sec)  and crippling condition bestowal on enemies (slow, immob, chill, poison 7 sec) with some dmg scaling to the adrenaline, baseline 650 coeff.

Skills:

Heal: Weaken (heal yourself in 5 pulses, 1000 base heal per pulse while continuously debuffing a targeted enemy per pulse with an inhibiting condition (in order, cripple, slow, chill, poison, immob, renewing the previous condition applied with each pulse), leech health from the enemy for each succesful unique condition applied, if no enemy is targeted heal for the base amount.

Stunbreak: Repose (evade stunbreak which clears 2 conditions and removes inhibiting effects).

Utility 1: Spectral Devouring (aoe steal boons from enemies that you don't have and convert any of what they have left into conditions (can draw up to 5 unique boons and corrupt up to 4 boons into conditions on 5 enemies). The boons you steal and your allies don't have are shared with them with the same duration. 

Utility 2: Spectral Tracking (reveal the target enemy for 6 sec  and port to them from 1200 range, blinding them for 3 sec on arrival and doing dmg).

Utility 3: Spectral Shielding (5-ally/5-target you and your allies take reduced inc dmg from both types (33%) for 5 sec, maintain the shield to grant Prot and Reso to your allies for 4 sec in the end, or detonate it and knockback 400 range/300 radius your foes).

Elite: Afterimage Technique (triple ammo 600 range port or double ammo 700 range port)

Traits:

Minor Adept/Minor Proficiency: Slayer of Demons: Become a Demonslayer and Gain Access to Spectral Skills and the Staff weapon. Master Abandonment and Awakening.

Major Adept 1: Slayer's Mercy: When granting boons to an ally, prolong their duration by 10% and your burst skills grant Regenaration for 3 sec (weapon burst requires to hit a target, Abandonment and Awakening grant the boon baseline).

Major Adept 2: Sapping: Gain Expertise based on 10% of Power, inflicting vulnerability on foes leeches health from them per stack applied 50 life leech healing per stack, same dmg scaling 1/2 sec interval per leech application regardless of stacks).

Major Adept 3: Self-movement: Evading attacks restores 5% of your endurance, number of attacks evaded, not dodges performed, 1/2 sec interval. 

Minor Master: Challenge Accepted: Abandonment now Taunts enemies around you for 3 sec (360 radius), take 10% reduced dmg from taunted foes. 

Major Master 1: Indomitable Will: When granting regeneration to an ally remove an inhibiting condition from them. Removing a condition from an ally in this fashion or through skills that remove such effects, grants them Stability (1 per condition for 3 sec). 

Major Master 2: Spectral Mastery: Spectral Skills inflict AoE Weakness for 4 sec with a 3 sec interval. Applying weakness on a foe removes swiftness. 

Major Master 3: Cornered: While below the endurance threshold (25%) gain Vigor for 5 sec. Vigor grants swiftness 8 sec. 

Minor Grandmaster: More to Lose: Removing/Corrupting boons  from enemies also transfers conditions to them (1 condition per corrupt, regardless of number of enemies corrupted, based on conditions applied on self removed in order of application). 

Major Grandmaster 1: Bulwark: Take 10% reduced dmg while you have stability on yourself. Allies you grant stability to also gain Superspeed for 1.5 sec per stability source (up to 5.5 sec per all 3 consecutive burst use, isn't tied to the stacks of stability applied by these sources, up to 7 sec with a successful removal of cripple, immob and chill from warhorn 4).

Major Grandmaster 2: Onslaught: Deal strike increased dmg (1%) per inhibiting condition on an enemy. Striking a foe with or more than 5 of such conditions inflicts Fear for 1 sec with a 5 sec interval. Fear corrupts a boon from each enemy into an inhibiting condition.

Major Grandmaster 3: Evasive Tactics: Endurance regenaration is increased by 25%, Burst skills grant Vigor to allies for 4 sec, does not require enemy to be hit. This trait does not overlap with Quake.

Rune:

Superior Rune of the Demonslayer:

1. +25 Power
  2. +5% Condition Duration
  3. +50 Power
  4. +100 Expertise
  5. +100 Power
  6. +10% Strike Damage, +10% Chill/Immob/Cripple/Slow Duration

Stat:

Ravager: Major->Power/Precision Minor-> Ferocity/Expertise

Had a lot of fun with this. Can't wait to see the ideas of others.

Edited by Grand Marshal.4098
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/22/2022 at 4:23 PM, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele longbow or dual pistol ele

Or no new elite specs but a bunch of new weapon types and core traitlines.

Shortbow ele for the lmaos

Just give Revenant Ritualist

Necromancer Sword with Undead Dragon mini

Ranger gets Paragon

Guardian gets monk with legit heals and nerf the FB to boon duration only without heals

Warrior gets dervish

Thief gets Arbalist

Mesmer gets trickster (actual class)

Elementalist gets Arcane magic now

Engineer I have no clue 

• Confused 1