GW2 is not Ready for Steam

You say that as if there's not tons of unfinished and early access games on Steam.

GW2 isn't even fully ready for 2022 in general till they get a huge UI upgrade and some QoL patches (hide others' effects) but it doesn't mean it can't be on Steam. It might get more negatives than it would otherwise but it'll be fine I'm sure. It'd probably actually be a good way for Anet to get feedback honestly if they care about the reviews they'll get. It certainly helped Cyberpunk a lot at this point.

Then there's amazing games like Larian Studio's who base a lot of their development off Steam feedback. Baldurs Gate 3 is so good 😋

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

GW2 seems to be having an identity crisis atm about what game it wants to be. Honestly, I can't wait for a steam release just because of seeing the same feedback there we see here all the time. The new player experience in gw2 is terrible. Needing level 10 to start your first quest is not a good idea. And of course, anyone using the 80 boost at the start will most likely leave a negative review. 
GW2 has the best mount system in any game ever, and yet to get there you have a long way if you don't want story spoilers. Its built in a way that you are meant to go from A to B through the story, and yet if you buy the expansion, what you get is a story that does not continue from where you left off. As you need to buy lw2 and lw3 still. And if you buy EoD then doing that first where (For some reason) they put Tutorial stuff you are skipping 10 years worth of story for content that doesn't boost your account like Mounts and gliding do.
it needs a lot of work to be Steam ready. 

GW2 needs UI improvements, to finish their work on DX11 and QoL stuff that exists in other mmo's for years. We don't even have a decent trade system as we can only mail up to a maximum before the game locks you out even with paid accounts. Its funny watching Muk try and do a giveaway and then the games mail system stops him from mailing gifts. 

Edited by Gorem.8104
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, Gorem.8104 said:

GW2 seems to be having an identity crisis atm about what game it wants to be. Honestly, I can't wait for a steam release just because of seeing the same feedback there we see here all the time. The new player experience in gw2 is terrible. Needing level 10 to start your first quest is not a good idea. And of course, anyone using the 80 boost at the start will most likely leave a negative review. 
GW2 has the best mount system in any game ever, and yet to get there you have a long way if you don't want story spoilers. Its built in a way that you are meant to go from A to B through the story, and yet if you buy the expansion, what you get is a story that does not continue from where you left off. As you need to buy lw2 and lw3 still. And if you buy EoD then doing that first where (For some reason) they put Tutorial stuff you are skipping 10 years worth of story for content that doesn't boost your account like Mounts and gliding do.
it needs a lot of work to be Steam ready. 

GW2 needs UI improvements, to finish their work on DX11 and QoL stuff that exists in other mmo's for years. We don't even have a decent trade system as we can only mail up to a maximum before the game locks you out even with paid accounts. Its funny watching Muk try and do a giveaway and then the games mail system stops him from mailing gifts. 

Trading post is way better then a direct trading system.

A you said use mail or guild bank to trade stuff bettwen people.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

At what point do the developers become accountable for their product?

*slaps table* THANK YOU!

Almost, if not all the new MMOs getting pushed out these days are either pay-to-win and/or grindfests worthy of a mobile game. For ****'s sake, how could anyone even seriously consider Lost Ark an MMO in the first place? It's a Diablo 3 clone. (And not even a good one.) As a matter of fact, I don't think we've had even a semi-recent MMO come out that didn't suck majorly for one reason or another. And even FF14, everyone's MMO golden child these days, at the end of the day, is just WoW retail except not terrible. (Which is actually fine for those who want that, but regardless, it's definitely not anything we haven't seen before.)

Guild Wars 2 stands alone.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

On 3/27/2022 at 5:49 PM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

If these 'new players' went to End of Dragons for fishing, they can unlock Raptor and Springer there, as well.   And take advantage of the tutorial events while there.  If, of course, they have purchased that expansion. 

Not sure what are campaigns (vs. expansions) in Guild Wars 2.

Activating the expansion plays a cinematic which spoils the entire game up until now. Its only a solution for players who don't like to be spoiled, and just want to pick up the latest content.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I think the warclaw and only the warclaw should be F2P in open world and pvp/wvw, i also think basic gliding and war gliding without any masteries should be F2P, beyond that, wvw and pvp should be more friend accessable. Two people playing might not be on the same server, and it might be too technical to figure out what server they need to be on or change server to que together, but want to play together and do wvw, something needs to be done to auto-guest-que with the party leader for WvW

Edit: i dont see anything ive said above as a hinderance to expansion purchasing, but will be a 100% bonus to new players and will improve new player retention. Please listen to this, from one game developer to another, keeping new players is always the hardest part, your established community wont leave until you patch the game into garbage, but fresh players are hard to keep, so give them a reason to stay. Oh yea, and let F2P players mail each other stuff and talk on the map. They will be more likely to stay if they feel indebted to the help they received from the community. You have to foster an opportunity for them to receive that help in the first place.

Edited by DarthLooper.6701
Spelling & a plea of despair
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Activating the expansion plays a cinematic which spoils the entire game up until now. Its only a solution for players who don't like to be spoiled, and just want to pick up the latest content.

Not sure what that has to do with anything posted here.  Someone post about getting fishing and also getting mounts.  I stated one could get both in the same place, if they were so inclined. 

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Trading post is way better then a direct trading system.

A you said use mail or guild bank to trade stuff bettwen people.

Trading post with fee's that you incur both on placing it up there and on sell. Mail system which caps out and has limits even with paid accounts, and is laggy regardless, and has no griefing protection and a guild bank trade is a long winded solution. 
In Rift 10 years ago I could direct trade with as many people as I liked in a day, instantly with no lag, and the protection was the window required you to mouse over any changes before you could accept. So if someone tried to scam, you could not accept the trade.
Right now, the best way to sell expensive items is to use Discord and trade services and hope that when you sell your Twilight there you don't get a scammer who doesn't care about their name being banned from all trading forever. But you make hundreds to thousands more gold doing so. Though I do understand why GW2 will never get an inspect option - even though I would LOVE to be able to see what people have on for their fashion (and what dyes/mount skins/mount dyes they have)- which is more important then stats anyway 😉
Though one feature I wish it had from Rift from 10 years ago, is the ability to turn into a Corgi, I'd love to run alongside a Corgi Mini as a Corgi as we'd be the same size, that'd be adorable. Corgi Tonic when 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Mortime.1359 said:

Honestly I'd say HoT ruins HoT. Even with my skyscale it was a dire experience to get through it and tangled depths actually made me uninstall GW2 3 times over 2 years. But to each their own I suppose.

Skyscale is super useful in all but specific parts of tangled depts. I dont think you used it right.

My completion time of the hot zones have dramatically shortened with the skyscale.

• Like 1

1- idk how can you even think of giving a mount to a new player. Like, there is no vertical progression in the game, you have to complain about 1h of story?

2-free accounts are, as the nome suggest, free. Gw2 is a buy to play game, what do you expect for a free account ?

3- if you put wvw/spvp and competitive in the same sentence, you just show that you havent played those parts of the game in the last 5 years. Honestly I agree here that a competitive pvp would be fun, but there are so many problems that, to me, seems (de facto) impossible to fix.

I don't understand the mmo community,for real, do you want EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW FOR FREE or what ?

• Confused 1

A big aspect for me is Lion's Arch and how it looks different from the story (campaign) instance and the textures and shading in the instance are terrible. I think old LA should be a map to characters that haven't done LWS1 yet and characters should be placed in the reworked LA map instances only after starting Maguuma. Old LA has a lot of charm and a big part of the current player base would buy new character slots just to explore it again. I also think dodge, mechanic and build tutorials need some work to be in-your-face can't continue content until you understand this much like tutorials in mmos like Swords of Legends Online or Blade and Soul or even BDO class training and skill previews. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kittykat.1263 said:

A big aspect for me is Lion's Arch and how it looks different from the story (campaign) instance and the textures and shading in the instance are terrible. I think old LA should be a map to characters that haven't done LWS1 yet and characters should be placed in the reworked LA map instances only after starting Maguuma. Old LA has a lot of charm and a big part of the current player base would buy new character slots just to explore it again. I also think dodge, mechanic and build tutorials need some work to be in-your-face can't continue content until you understand this much like tutorials in mmos like Swords of Legends Online or Blade and Soul or even BDO class training and skill previews. 

Good idea!

18 hours ago, Kichwas.7152 said:

Yes, the first few Bless games were absolute disasters. Bless Unleashed came out and did shockingly well and got "good press" from fans of the playstyle. It looked to be the "they finally did it right" game for that franchise. For a very brief moment of about a month and a half it had very strong player concurrency, and a pile of reviewers expressing shock that the Bless team finally did it right.

Then people got to max level and there was no content drop, so they review bombed and left.

Given more time to get to their patch cycle going, things could have been different. Games that used to get a half year or more time to get to that first patch now get a month or less.

And yet, here in GW2 Land, there were posts on the forum asking Anet to reveal plans for a fourth expansion within a week of the release of the third one.  (sigh)

• Like 1

GW2's maps are an utter slog to travel through on foot. Vanilla maps are too dull and expansion maps have ridiculous mob density. Also, this is a game centered around rushing to an event ASAP and hopefully reaching it before it finishes. Mounts are absolutely mandatory. I would never recommend GW2 to anybody without the caveat that they must buy PoF and get the raptor ASAP, and if not then to not bother playing at all.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 1:23 PM, Nazferatwo.1764 said:

I just created a new character in my veteran account to unlock those Tutorial Achievements.
I noticed that is very hard for a new player to get up to speed with features like mounts and fishing.... most of my guildies ask about this Daily, how do I unlock this and this and that.
And i have to tell them the sad truth. if you don't care about story, go ahead and unlock fishing by starting the EoD campaign to unlock fishing... which totally sucks for a new player.
Same thing with mounts... at least the raptor.

I have a concern, will Anet ever add such features to be expansions locked but not campaign locked like it is today ?
- This will be a big let down when steam players join and realize they cant get this at level two.
- Also the Trial account needs to be reworked, in my opinion its too limited. this will also be a let down for steam players.
+ The addition to Season 1 for free for everyone is a big plus.
- The steam community is very competitive, WvW and Spvp need to be looked at.

What other games give you everyone at level 2? And why should Anet give away important features from various Xpacs easily? To appease wishy-washy players at the expense of teeing off a million players who had to achieve those things? 

Trial accounts are purposely designed to be limited. We don’t need to encourage and enable steam freeloaders and gold sellers. 

WvW is getting updated. Spvp is dead since it was dropped by ESL. The majority in steam community are mostly transients who will just complain about everything anyway and spam nonsense on the steam forums, let’s not paint most of that community as some hard core top-notch and reasonable players. 

Seems like you want to make it easier on yourself while starting a new account on steam. 

• Confused 1

I keep saying this but fishing should be a core feature of the game available to all. I think a lot of players would be cool just having their free account and fishing around tyria. Expansions usually a chance for any game to add some things to its base feels like a net segments things into xpacs a bit too hard.