Switching characters results in infinite load screen [Merged]

1 minute ago, Glass Hand.7306 said:

Software development is somewhat like digging a well. Adding more people to the bottom of the hole generally does not result in the hole being dug faster.

It is more about the ability of the guy in the hole.

It's also about spotting the problem : as in more eyes spot more and question and query different things, they also provide different ways to resolve the problem.  And they have more time to check out if the solution breaks another part of the code and interacts as intended. Or are aware of changes in the overall software that were  - obviously, given the sudden failure of a core function - overlooked ?
Need some more analogies why more people usually help resolving a problem ?  Especially on a piece of software made and reworked by a team of people over a decade ? Software development is not organic gestation it's a composite structure of logical connections made by a multitude.. but keep white-knighting, it's passing the time

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

For the record, I didnt' realise this forum post was here and I posted a ticket. They're answer is below:

Sid

Tuesday at 17:39
Hello,

Upon checking your DxDiag, we see that your current operating system is Windows 11. Unfortunately, even though Windows 11 has been released, as such is an unsupported operating system.

If you have any other questions or issues, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Sid
Guild Wars 2 Support Team
http://help.guildwars2.com/

This is a pretty crappy PR response. There was no problems running this on Win 11 before, and clearly this forum has shown I'm not one of the few. Not only that, there's no offer of future support, nor a link to this forum thread which is what I had asked for prior to this one. 

On top of that, its worded to say "its your fault" like that will help either side of the conversation. 

On top of that, Minimum system requirements for the game state it run on any Windows from 7 and aboove. 

I'm not saying they're not doing their job in the technical department, but this was worded in such an unhelpful way that was only going to end unhappily. 

PS: whoever said the 9 people to make a baby in one month analogy made me laugh. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Been having the same issue since the patch as well. And making fast character swap frustrating.

I deleted the gw2 folder in 

C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming 

and its making things load faster now but the issue is still there. Just be awayre that you  have to re input your login info and set the video/audio preferences again.

Hope we get the fix soon, we going into week 2 now with that issue.

The funny thing is that its only happening if you have lots of characters. On my alt accounts that only have 5 characters no issue at all.

Edited by boxterduke.5269

5 hours ago, ClaraFee.2579 said:

I can't help but chuckle at the Dunning-Kruger-esque comments from players who very clearly don't work in software development, yet seem to think they have insight into how it works or ought to work. 😆 

@Cobalt Flame.8056- Many thanks to you and your team for the update! 💪 Pay no attention to the players trying extra hard to turn good news into not-good-enough-news. 🙄

I used to be in that camp for years until I started taking the CS50x course. Then I realized how frustrating doing this for a living could be, so I do feel for engineers that have to find the needle in a haystack.

Now my tune has changed to try and only supply the problems as accurately as I can and try to replicate the issue and be as helpful as I can to hopefully help narrow down cause.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, boxterduke.5269 said:

The funny thing is that its only happening if you have lots of characters. On my alt accounts that only have 5 characters no issue at all.

Yeah, others confirmed this too.  People that had more than 40 characters seem to be having a ton of issues.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Busty Bombsalot.4570 said:

YAY! I am happy to report that after a log off about 10 minutes ago, that the bug seems to be fixed. I just ran through all 71 toon's with no graphic's bugs or having to restart the game to swap toon's.

I sure hope this is a sign that someone fixed this!

Give that guy /gal that fixed this a raise!

Hope it works for everyone else.

• Like 3

While I am commenting on this because I just alt+F4 after encountering the bug 5min ago, I am glad to know that there is a designated resource working on the fix. Agreeing with the few who understand software engineering, or debugging in general, more doesn't mean it's better in this case. Not every engineer on a team is responsible for all areas, some are more specific than others, and depending on the problem, the more people you add, the more time you spend on communicating/coordinating than actually making progress. 

Thank you for the update, this is much appreciated. Just hoping there aren't more layers of issue under what has been found already.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Busty Bombsalot.4570 said:

YAY! I am happy to report that after a log off about 10 minutes ago, that the bug seems to be fixed. I just ran through all 71 toon's with no graphic's bugs or having to restart the game to swap toon's.

Doesn't seem to be fixed for me, but I was able to get through 4 toons before the problem happened again, so it's a little improvement over the usual 1 and done for me. Although yesterday was the worst it was for me because it was happening multiple times just from launching the game (it would take me 3-4 launches before I could log-in successfully on my first character).

Glad it's working for you though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cobalt Flame.8056 said:

Hey all. I know this bug is really frustrating. We have an engineer working on it, so a fix is actively being worked on and in progress.

Thanks for hanging in there, and we're apologize that this bug is impacting your game experience.

Any chance that there is also an engineer working on that severe gravity bug that's been plaguing the game since Wintersday 2020?

SAB is making it painfully obvious, and the bug is impeding precise jumps a lot. 😐

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2

Just testing before post. I try switch 55 Characters got 13 long loading. (Yeah need to restart game 13 times OMG)

Look better after SAB Patch that I need to restart game every 1-2 character but still hard to play like this.

Hope this issue will better or fixed soon.

2 hours ago, Busty Bombsalot.4570 said:

UPDATE: after deleting my Local.dat again, I have to concur with Bombsalot now. I was able to go through 30 toons so far and they all loaded up fine now, no hang-ups.

The main character screen still takes awhile to load, but the characters across the bottom load up much quicker now, and I can even load up the game without waiting for the images to load, so I just sped through the first 30 quickly and everything looks to be working good so far.

So yeah, big thanks to that engineer!

EDIT: Should've kept going haha, 34th character and it hung up again with graphic glitches. Still a big improvement for me from yesterday though.

Edited by jdeshano.7592

4 hours ago, Amber Evotion.5910 said:

There was no problems running this on Win 11 before, and clearly this forum has shown I'm not one of the few.

It's not tied to Windows 11. People have been having issues on other versions. I'm on 10, and I've heard people having issues on 7 as well.

3 hours ago, Busty Bombsalot.4570 said:

I just ran through all 71 toon's with no graphic's bugs or having to restart the game to swap toon's

1 hour ago, jdeshano.7592 said:

I was able to go through 30 toons so far and they all loaded up fine now, no hang-ups.

Glad it's working for you two, because it's certainly not working for me. Switched one character and immediately got it.

• Like 1

So I pointed out in my ticket that the min requirements say it should support win 7+ , their response: 

Hibiki

Today at 09:03
Hello again,

As much as we want to assist you with your issue, however, as stated on our previous response, Windows 11 is an unsupported operating system.

my faith in arena net devs to actually care has really taken a hit. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Glass Hand.7306 said:

Software development is somewhat like digging a well. Adding more people to the bottom of the hole generally does not result in the hole being dug faster.

It is more about the ability of the guy in the hole.

And sometimes even the best need time, but if I'm not going to get alliances till we don't even know if next beta will be in half year or more than a year, at least let me play normally, because the gamemodes I like have tumbleweeds crossing because of SOOOO much content it get (WvW and PvP).

• Like 1

I was just kicked out from party because of this infinite loading, so you might guess what and how I feel. Over last 9 years I encounter no such issues with the game than after EoD release - neither on Windows, nor on Linux via Lutris launcher. I really hope this will be resolved soon.

And while we're at these issues: it would be great if the EoD strikes would load slices of existing maps and not the whole copies of these with all assets that aren't necessary for the encounters. The difference between loading times of IBS and EoD strikes is significant.

Edited by insanelyapple.2870
  • Like 1

It's game code issue.. linked to amount of Characters you have. More.. worse. If you characters and back ground graphics do not load.. your affected. Hope the fix it soon.. or maybe it will go away when adventure box is don.. Since it was first noticed with that patch.

Anyway, when logging into GW2, look at your background graphics, if character and back ground picture do not load.. Restart game, keep doing that until it loads.. then log into game. Annoying.. yes, but let's X our finger that Anet fix this bug. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Grimleiv.9813 said:

If you can't log in at all, delete the Local.dat file. That will fix it. I made a batch file to start game now. It delete Local.dat then start GW264.exe. Works like a charm.. but still annoying that they do not prior to fix this.

If you can't log in at all, delete the Local.dat file. That will fix it. I made a batch file to start game now. It delete Local.dat then start GW264.exe. Works like a charm.. but still annoying that they do not prior to fix this.

19 hours ago, jdeshano.7592 said:

UPDATE: after deleting my Local.dat again, I have to concur with Bombsalot now. I was able to go through 30 toons so far and they all loaded up fine now, no hang-ups.

The main character screen still takes awhile to load, but the characters across the bottom load up much quicker now, and I can even load up the game without waiting for the images to load, so I just sped through the first 30 quickly and everything looks to be working good so far.

So yeah, big thanks to that engineer!

EDIT: Should've kept going haha, 34th character and it hung up again with graphic glitches. Still a big improvement for me from yesterday though.

yeah it works for a bit and then randomly gets stuck switching characters. still not fixed.

• Like 3