Switching characters results in infinite load screen [Merged]

34 minutes ago, Miss Lana.5276 said:

Lots of people are saying this, but the relevant question is "How many times do you switch characters on your alt account".

I could say "My alt accounts don't have this issue", but I only play a single character on each of them, so the issue has no chance to arise, whereas I get it every time I switch on my main account because I switch characters a lot.

That is of absolutely no importance.

play for 10 years, switch a lot. Never an issue. Now it is. 

Swapping between alts is/was not limited to a number of times per hour.

Fact : It is bugged now. And they look into it

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Miss Lana.5276 said:

Lots of people are saying this, but the relevant question is "How many times do you switch characters on your alt account".

I could say "My alt accounts don't have this issue", but I only play a single character on each of them, so the issue has no chance to arise, whereas I get it every time I switch on my main account because I switch characters a lot.

I swap around between those 8 chars all the time as well on alt acc. The big difference is that with a low amount of chars, I suppose it's way easier to load the portraits/background which is related to the bug. If your portraits/background fails to load: your login will bug out as well while if portraits and background are fine, your loading on new character will be fine as well.

Edited by evlover.6270
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tested some again. Was told it was overlay's, like overwolf, nvidia etc. So i took a new PC with clean windows 10 install. Installed new GW2 and tested...

Same happens first login after 2 character swaps. Character's would not load, and no back ground picture. Then when trying to log into game... infinite loading screen.. Well almost 6 min. Then enter game without graphics.. 

Hope it get fixed soon.. Really annoying.. Today i was in cue 35 to WvW.. finally got in after one hour waiting... Then no Graphics.. stuck in trees, fell off cliffs etc.. Ruined my gaming evening with guild.. Almost just quit game.. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Miss Lana.5276 said:

I ended up purposely testing this last week on 4 alt accounts with 5 characters each, all non-EoD (I typically use 1-2 characters on each alt otherwise, haven't got around to parking my extra chars). So switching between them multiple times worked fine, they loaded up normally on all 4 alt accounts, so I couldn't replicate the issue on these accounts.

On my main account I tried using the suggestion of waiting for everything to load up first. Sometimes it works, most times not, but as long as I'm successfully loaded on one character though I can play the game fine, I just can't do my daily gold farming routine with my main's alts.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Eulefant.9624 said:

That is of absolutely no importance.

play for 10 years, switch a lot. Never an issue. Now it is. 

Swapping between alts is/was not limited to a number of times per hour.

Fact : It is bugged now. And they look into it

That is absolutely of all importance.

The bug appears when you switch characters.

If you don't switch characters you have a smaller chance of getting said bug.

That's like saying "I've never got a Queen Bee drop" even though you've never done the Silverwastes meta.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Demalii.9435 said:

Do we have a response from red?
This has been happening since the 29th..

Please don't join a thread without reading the very very very first post at the absolute least. Red comment is literally linked there.

Edited by Miss Lana.5276
  • Sad 2

Update 13 hours later, I'm now approaching 250 Resets, that's 100 resets in half a day... 
ANet could you please for lord sake fix this?

I start to believe the why this game is kind of dying as much as I hate to admit it...

If you are focusing on others stuff you probably should stop everything else and get on this... because that I sense that this is super low in your priority and that's bad...

Edited by KurokouNekoki.7891
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Just started getting this, go to change my character, character screen starts to load in then stops and i end up with a black screen, If i try to use a character, ( as i can still see a couple of character pics) the game just hangs.

Now i just change character and it randomly lets me go to some places and not others, that if the map loads correctly to start with.

Edited by Dami.5046

6 hours ago, KurokouNekoki.7891 said:

Update 13 hours later, I'm now approaching 250 Resets, that's 100 resets in half a day... 
ANet could you please for lord sake fix this?

I start to believe the why this game is kind of dying as much as I hate to admit it...

If you are focusing on others stuff you probably should stop everything else and get on this... because that I sense that this is super low in your priority and that's bad...

Exactly. It's a bug that directly influences the game experience from everyone with a high number of characters (sidenote: people that are invested into this game) and all we got in a week time is a "we're looking into it". For me with 60 chars, it bugs out constantly to the point that I stopped playing my main acc aside from just doing sab dailies on 1 char. It forced me to put a power and condi gear set on the same char to do raids tonight, cause otherwise I'd have to restart the game any time I'd swap between power virtuoso and condi RR. It's directly affecting people their routines and we still don't have an explanation about what's possibly causing it, we are still just "guessing". If there isn't a consensus yet about what's causing it or if there isn't a guaranteed fix incoming soon, why doesn't SAB just get shelved for the time being until the issue is identified and resolved? SAB could just be activated again afterwards and extended by the duration that's needed to address the issue, cause it's driving a part of your playerbase insane.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, evlover.6270 said:

Exactly. It's a bug that directly influences the game experience from everyone with a high number of characters (sidenote: people that are invested into this game) and all we got in a week time is a "we're looking into it". For me with 60 chars, it bugs out constantly to the point that I stopped playing my main acc aside from just doing sab dailies on 1 char. It forced me to put a power and condi gear set on the same char to do raids tonight, cause otherwise I'd have to restart the game any time I'd swap between power virtuoso and condi RR. It's directly affecting people their routines and we still don't have an explanation about what's possibly causing it, we are still just "guessing". If there isn't a consensus yet about what's causing it or if there isn't a guaranteed fix incoming soon, why doesn't SAB just get shelved for the time being until the issue is identified and resolved? SAB could just be activated again afterwards and extended by the duration that's needed to address the issue, cause it's driving a part of your playerbase insane.

Happens practically everytime on my end (71 Chars here).
I'm part of a Music Guild, and I also try to build my own Guild Halls which requires crafting.
If ANet is willing to refund me all the relearning of each Crafts Profession for the jobs I'll take it, but otherwise fix your kitten bugs (they won't because "Our Precious Economy" *rollseyes*... Typical Capitalism in a way... *sighs*).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

They are working on it, but a problem like this is really hard to debug, test, and reconstruct in a development environment.
"Rollback" / "Stop SAB" won't help much - even it started with the same patch as SAB - I'm 100% sure it's not related to SAB itself. It is just some code that was shipped to the customer clients within the same patch.

As I mentioned before - most likely some kind of engine "optimization" that should happen on the fly and not be recognized. With no direct effect on the behavior of the game. But something went entirely wrong and bugged. So It HAD a direct effect on the behavior of the game.

They ARE working on it - and I'm pretty sure it is a top priority for the responsible team right now. 

I know it is really bad, I know it is annoying - I get into this bug every time I want to switch characters, and as a raider used to be the "filler" for every role/class within a group - I swap A LOT for raiding purposes. (Thanks to the commanders trying to let me switch characters as few as possible.)

As a player I know this is frustrating as f**k - but I am also a developer on my own, and I feel that this kind of bug is horrible to fix. "Sadly" the game is not even crashing - so there are not even crash logs to work with to identify the problem. They most likely have to guess - because it is kinda hard to reproduce this scenario in a development environment. 

But I agree: They "could" (or tbh should) communicate better about this. Clearing things up, about what and why it happened. I wish they wouldn't let us tap into the darkness, bring some light to the problem - so people understand what's happening and why it would not help to just turn SAB off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Thought it was my historical computer causing this! This is especially annoying during raids or pvp when other players are waiting on you. I have to shut down the game and restart it - it's faster than waiting for the loading screen to decide to end. Very frustrating. Glad it's not an issue unique to me.

• Like 1

Anet, i totally understand that you are not responding to the topic on the weekends. But now... you know, just a little sign of life concerning the development on this really annoying matter would be highly appreciated.

Edited by Florimel.8069
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Nasbit.3240 said:

I know it is really bad, I know it is annoying - I get into this bug every time I want to switch characters, and as a raider used to be the "filler" for every role/class within a group - I swap A LOT for raiding purposes. (Thanks to the commanders trying to let me switch characters as few as possible.)

As a player I know this is frustrating as f**k - but I am also a developer on my own, and I feel that this kind of bug is horrible to fix. "Sadly" the game is not even crashing - so there are not even crash logs to work with to identify the problem. They most likely have to guess - because it is kinda hard to reproduce this scenario in a development environment.

Bug may be on LIVE mode only, but they should also have QA - GMs that should be dispatched for that sort of testing, the fact that they don't means 1. either an undersight and they dont know they should test that sort of environment in an ONLINE game. Or 2. it is not on their list of priorities.

If they want us to swallow that petty excuse, they better communicate better AND faster.
Yes there is things company need to reveal in time, but lack of communication has been a more pivotal reason to crash that old fossilized way of thinking and get on it. They have no problem social mediatizing the rest of the stuff, but goes completely silent the moment a concerning problems occurs.
-------------
Thank lord we live in an age of Unlimited Internet Broadband, imagine being stuck with this bug when you have to pay your GB for playing and reloading over 50 times a day.

They can and should do better. This is honesty disappointing, even on a developer standpoint.

• Like 1

Have the login-issue with my main account. My alt account seems to have no problems, switching charakters works just fine. Now I wish to not have created so many chars on my main account. Hope we all can see this bug fixed as soon as possible.

I get it: it might be harder to find a solution for this issue than fixing long cat but it would be nice to have some form of update. But then again, it's Anet and after 9.5 years I should know better than to expect this.

And before you say "Ruby replied to this thread already"...I know.

The issue seems random for me: sometimes I log on 1 character and relog and I have the issue. Sometimes I can relog on 4/5 characters until it happens. Different races, classes, maps, outfits or not, you name it. Eventually it shows up.

Let's hope and wait for something to happen

• Haha 1