Switching characters results in infinite load screen [Merged]

2 hours ago, Busty Bombsalot.4570 said:

Another issue related to this seems to be the connection to the login server. The game keeps giving the error about not being able to contact the login server at this time.

I would not be surprised. The login server has been manifesting dodgy behavior for years. It may be that the latest patch was the straw that broke the back of this critical piece of infrastructure.

i have also this bug. Can use  two characters and third and more  have 2 min loading screen and after that  i dont see my character, icons, ui graphics and the wall is in black and white checkerboard. After restart game can  use another 2 characters for daily  and after that same issue with third +  and after that  is loop until daily is done.

Posting an update. Character creation has become more or less impossible. Tested it today and clicking create character just gives an infinite black screen and the menu music. Previously it let you go through the creation process and the black screen only hit after the character was generated and it was time for the intro cinematic to play. 

7 hours ago, CJH.2879 said:

I believe I have found a TEMPORARY FIX! It doesn't eliminate the problem completely, however... (to get by in the interim)...

Basically, I tried to fiddle with every setting, sound, video, beta... etc

But of course none of that worked!

The problem isn't with your individual game settings, but rather when you're in the character selection screen itself.

All I did is left click once (not twice), upon the character you wish to play, (this next bit is extremely important), wait for the character icons down the bottom to appear, (you don't have to wait for your character to appear up above, just make sure the character icons down below show up 100% for the rest of your characters!

If the login character selection screen fails to show the character icons 100% down the bottom after about 5 seconds, it's a failed load! At that point you'll have to log off & re-log in again, then just repeat the same process once you're in the character selection screen again! This will usually work for 5-10 characters at a time which will get everyone by!

Just remember if you don't see the character icons loading 100% down the bottom of the screen in the character selection, it's a failed load!

I believe I've zero'd in on the source of the problem... hopefully that will help ANET to figure out exactly what is going on! Oh & just in case, I have my resolution on windowed mode! Not sure if that affects anything, but just in case! 

Hope that helps everyone as I'm now able to do my daily farm as per normal! Yes it takes a little longer because of the failed loads, but it's better then nothing! Cheers everyone!  🙂

So basically your solution is to do what everyone else is doing anyway and hope that it magically works?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, jesterchaos.5907 said:

Having the same loading issue its very frustrating, have to relog when i swap characters could someone from anet at least respond XD?

If you read the thread, or notice the red icon when selecting this thread from the bugs section, you would have seen that they have already responded.

• Like 1

Have this issue for a number of days now, but it seems to trigger [exclusively?] only when I try to access a character on the map 'Draconis Mons' - characters on other maps seem [mostly?] unaffected. Did anyone notice something like that on their account?

2 hours ago, Percy.2954 said:

Have this issue for a number of days now, but it seems to trigger [exclusively?] only when I try to access a character on the map 'Draconis Mons' - characters on other maps seem [mostly?] unaffected. Did anyone notice something like that on their account?

For me it can happen on any map but it 1st occurred when I was swapping characters from one that I left in the SAB lobby.

I also experienced this issue... When I log in my first character, my loading screen lasts like 4-5 seconds, when I change characters they get longer and longer, 10, 15, 30, 60 seconds and after a few loading screens my game doesn't load textures and part of my UI is missing. It happens on my PC and on my Laptop as well, so I don't think it is a hardware issue.

I have deleted the gw2cache, which made the problem dissapear for a short time, but now it's permanent. 

Also, many people in my guild have the same issue. 

14 hours ago, Amurond.4590 said:

So basically your solution is to do what everyone else is doing anyway and hope that it magically works?

Not sure where your coming from here, I'm basically describing what's working for me. And how am I doing what everyone else is doing if I'm able to swap across 70 characters in slightly more time then usual. To me it sounds like it's working as a >> Temporary Fix << I never said it was a solution! Before this I was loading up & getting stuck >> All the time << in loading screens! So how is this doing what everyone else is doing??? And it doesn't just magically work, it does work! Try it!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I am a silent reader in this topic since thursday but to stress the urgency in this matter i will put my +1 in here too.

And i think it gets worse every day. Logging through my 53 characters is true pain at the moment . The first 2 days i had to restart the game every 5-8 characters. Now it is literally after 1-2 characters. Please Anet, if you could make this a high priority issue.

Thanks 😢

• Like 2

Hi, everytime i try to create a new chatacter the screen turn black, i'm forced to kill the game process from the task manager and relaunch the game, then it worked.

This happens since the latest patches, before was working fine.

Just report my experience so the devs can look into it and fix the bug.

Edited by Miporin.3529

Someone above mentioned waiting for all your characters to load in their portraits. I tried doing that as I was playing and I noticed something, when I get the error, there's always one character in particular that fails to load.

To describe it better, at the character select screen, the portraits for all my character will start loading in from left to right. If that character portrait loads, everything will be fine and I'll be able to select the next character as normal. If their portrait doesn't load, the next 2 or 3 portraits will load, but all the others won't, and if I try to play another character I'll get the infinite load.

I'm reasonably sure it's not the class, but it might be the elite spec (willbender). It might be something to do with the character's appearance (gem aura outfit). I've switched another character over to have the same outfit, but the issue hasn't reoccurred yet.

+1ing this; Been having this issue for well over a week now. I've tried every usual fix under the sun and was worried it was something on my end and was just going to stop playing until I figured it out. It's weirdly relieving to know it's something that I'm not alone in and that a fix is in the works. 

Been keeping an eye on this since the thread got a response that they're aware of it, but since it's not fixed yet I'm going to add my own +1. This is so frustrating. I've tried everything I can think of on my end to lessen the occurrence or fix it, to no avail. Please, Anet, an update would be nice. 

I've had this happen under the following conditions:

-With and without addons (TaCO, ArcDPS (including healing stats and uploader extensions)

-With and without launching gw2 as admin

-With and without DX11 beta enabled

-Have tried a dozen different graphics options and UI display configurations

-With and without Discord running in the background

-With and without the Nvidia overlay enabled

-Without and without updated gpu drivers (RTX2070 Super)

-There does not seem to be a set amount a time that the bug occurs after

-

I'm sure I've forgotten other things I've tested.

11 minutes ago, Busty Bombsalot.4570 said:

Ok now the game is almost unplayable. Takes a few minutes to load a screen with broken graphics. Floor missing, invisible toon, sky is a checkerboard. Is anyone ever going to fix this? I agree SAB is not worth breaking the game especially after paying $79 for the new xpac. 

Keep calm. They said they are aware of it and looking into it. But also Anet developers deserve a weekend. I am sure they'll fix it next week.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Florimel.8069 said:

Keep calm. They said they are aware of it and looking into it. But also Anet developers deserve a weekend. I am sure they'll fix it next week.

Sign me up for that five weekend day's Job @Florimel.8069 . I sure hope you do still hire @ANET, I'd even argue I would manage with just 4 weekend days if that was making the cut. Hit me back.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ShadowbaneX.6273 said:

Someone above mentioned waiting for all your characters to load in their portraits. I tried doing that as I was playing and I noticed something, when I get the error, there's always one character in particular that fails to load.

To describe it better, at the character select screen, the portraits for all my character will start loading in from left to right. If that character portrait loads, everything will be fine and I'll be able to select the next character as normal. If their portrait doesn't load, the next 2 or 3 portraits will load, but all the others won't, and if I try to play another character I'll get the infinite load.

I'm reasonably sure it's not the class, but it might be the elite spec (willbender). It might be something to do with the character's appearance (gem aura outfit). I've switched another character over to have the same outfit, but the issue hasn't reoccurred yet.

It's not willbender. It's not an outfit. I get it on every character 100% of the time I try to switch. There is no common denominator other than "I tried to load into a character".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Percy.2954 said:

Happens to me on any map as far as I can tell.
Though it does happen most often on Draconis Mons and Verdant Brink, but that's probably just because more than half of my characters are parked on those maps on alternating days.

Something I noticed: loading times are greatly improved/optimized (if we don't run into the "infinite loading screens") - I never loaded in the world that fast when running 6 clients at once (also it runs overall smoother?). I think they added some kind of optimization, (maybe better caching of stuff? Maybe better usage of threading?) and something broke within that optimization. Maybe clearing of cache to aggressive - and game "thinks" some stuff is still loaded/cached and don't load that again - resulting in missing things as we see after the loading screens.

Maybe I'm totally wrong - but that's what I think.