Switching characters results in infinite load screen [Merged]

3 hours ago, Amurond.4590 said:

People thinking SAB "caused" this have some very strange axe to grind, or just have very little understanding of software. And I say that as someone who is very highly impacted by this bug and is being driven crazy by it.

Nawh it just weirdly enough coincided with SAB being patched in..... that be coincidental, but since there was no content added otherwise this is more like a "coincidence",

24 minutes ago, kodokroco.3817 said:

i've been asking people ingame and not many are experiencing this. maybe it's a region thing? my loading screen has been like 3-5 minutes long since today. 

it's 10+players  in my guild (most of them thought it was only "them" and all are altoholics ) , and of course people who suffer from this might not actually log in or spend less time in the game ? Would skew your "poll"

• Like 1

As usual, the communication is dreadful from anet. I truly done understand how they can operate with such kitten business standards. If you don’t know what’s going on, communicate it!!!!! 

I personally feel like an update every 2-3 days would

be enough keep us in the loop about our accounts. As many stated, we’ve all dropped a decent bit of $ into this game for character slots. Now my main only has 33 toons but I do have many alt accounts with more toons than the given slots…. It’s frustrating that the part of the community helping to support them financially is getting shafted with little communication- again. 

Im a wvw main….. I’m used to the bs when it comes to communication. 

So have a big fat #communicationwhen 

• Like 2

For me this started after I got a new 49" Aoc Agon monitor, did not happen with the old 35" widescreen (same manufacturer). Could have something to do with the old being G-Sync monitor and the new is Freesync (using Nvidia GPU). Tried changing many settings but once I disabled the dx11 beta and it stopped happening.

• Confused 1

On 4/13/2022 at 5:08 PM, Jukhy.2431 said:

Tried changing many settings but once I disabled the dx11 beta and it stopped happening.

That's probably just luck... it happened to me with both dx11 enabled/disabled, so i can't blame that. It didn't happen to me for a full week... but yesterday evening it started again. Today everything looks ok again (but the mug shots load a bit slower than normal)...

Personally i think this may be a server problem... i would not be surprised if there is relation with the code 42 errors.

Edited by GODh.3892
forgot a word
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Amurond.4590 said:

People thinking SAB "caused" this have some very strange axe to grind, or just have very little understanding of software. And I say that as someone who is very highly impacted by this bug and is being driven crazy by it.

Correlation does not imply causation, but it is often worth investigating.

Anet? Any news? #communicationwhen

Edit: The fact that a bug report about the wiki can trigger a response in less than 2 hours but this here get's ignored is even more infuriating! "We're on it! Top men and all that" ... Well this bug does not get "top men" (plural), we get "an"[one]"engineer" ... 

Edited by The Urps.8379
  • Like 2

On 4/6/2022 at 5:47 PM, Cobalt Flame.8056 said:

Hey all. I know this bug is really frustrating. We have an engineer working on it, so a fix is actively being worked on and in progress.

Thanks for hanging in there, and we're apologize that this bug is impacting your game experience.

Would this also adress the many DC's and lags that I and many others are experiencing since the SAB update?

The game is literally unplayable for me.

Hi folks,

i've a workaround - working for me (dx11/w10) 😉  - i want to share.

If any of your small character icons on is loaded whilst the others don't and login-screen background stays black:
Pick the leftmost shown character and log in.
This results in the known infinite loading screen and i terminate the game ~30s later (wait a little, else the game does not put your picked char on the first in line).

After a new started game, the last picked char is the left in the line, loads and "chainloads" all other chars and then the login-screen background. After this i can login whith whatever char i want (until next switch ofc).

HTH

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, DJhell.1270 said:

Hi folks,

If any of your small character icons on is loaded whilst the others don't and login-screen background stays black:
This results in the known infinite loading screen and i terminate the game ~30s later (wait a little, else the game does not put your picked char on the first in line).

After a new started game, the last picked char is the left in the line, loads and "chainloads" all other chars and then the login-screen background. After this i can login whith whatever char i want (until next switch ofc).

HTH

What do you mean restarting the game always let you login atleast one character without issues.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

What do you mean restarting the game always let you login atleast one character without issues.

Yep. With this method posted above i can reliably switch chars.  

Edited by DJhell.1270
/edit to clarify
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, DJhell.1270 said:

Hi folks,

HTH

I always do this and it doesnt help at all. 

once I go to character selection, the background stays black, and most of the portraits dont load in. it stays this way till i log out( that button does respond). If I do select a character it gets stuck on the loading screen until I force the game to shut down. 

Edited by Jasaad.1835
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, DJhell.1270 said:

Hi folks,

HTH

I can already debunked that as a false-positive solution thing, because I tried to do the same and still the same issue.

4 hours ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

For me this started after I got a new 49" Aoc Agon monitor, did not happen with the old 35" widescreen (same manufacturer). Could have something to do with the old being G-Sync monitor and the new is Freesync (using Nvidia GPU). Tried changing many settings but once I disabled the dx11 beta and it stopped happening.

Another case of unique cause, however probably a lot of us is still using the monitor we were using when the bug was NOT happening.

DX11 is also irrelated as I don't run with that mode myself.

6 hours ago, kodokroco.3817 said:

i've been asking people ingame and not many are experiencing this. maybe it's a region thing? my loading screen has been like 3-5 minutes long since today. 

1st. We don't even know your pooling sample size, meaning that this is purely non-informative information, when you look that the thread has already gathered 16 pages of replies reporting that the same issue is occuring (this is enough of a Flag to have it investigated in actual priority) (again as others are stating, 1 engineer on the task is not enough).
2nd. Region thing is unlikely because I'm pretty sure due to the time and development of this thread that we have players having the same troubles across the globe.

--------------------
If Anet, would compensate me 10g for every Infinite Loading I had, by now I would have a Legendary easily purchasable.
I dearly hope that ANet takes on themselves and honor that they messed up seriously and compensate all affected users.
800 gems seems reasonable for the trouble this has caused.
--------------------
Also not sure why we don't have a PR staff right now (Health or Pure Vacation)...

This has been going for a few weeks now.

Sure if Rubi took vacation or health pause that's fine, but ANet's Top Executives are showing visible poor management skills, to not have scheduled anyone to replace or support the Head PR during that time, which is even more conclusive evidence that ANet is just hitting nails with a screwdriver by now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Urps.8379 said:

Anet? Any news? #communicationwhen

Edit: The fact that a bug report about the wiki can trigger a response in less than 2 hours but this here get's ignored is even more infuriating! "We're on it! Top men and all that" ... Well this bug does not get "top men" (plural), we get "an"[one]"engineer" ... 

Trust me... when Customer Support asks me to post bugs on the forums or using the Bug Report Function in-game...
I absolutely CRINGE, both methods being as ineffective by any sense of the meaning.

Like, as a CSupport you should have a way to communicate that information DIRECTLY to the Devs (besides you have already done it in the past too), while here the likehood that we get swallowed; and that "oh missed that one" to occur is like 500:1 chances if not more.

Proof of that is all the bugs, suggestions and feedbacks we have been giving them being not heard, looked into or changed yet, that we keep trying to make them alert of, in the course of the last few years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm with all of you - I face this every 1-2 character swaps. A good indication that it is happening is that your portraits don't load. You should be able to recognize this on the character select screen yourself almost immediately, log out and log back in. 

Do not wait,  you know it won't load. If you don't see character portraits loading consistently, just log out. 

• Like 7

Further thoughts for everyone who's struggling with this.  Add -mapLoadinfo to the target path where you launch GW2. 

If you mistakenly log-in and have a long load - check to see if the map info is stuck on STATE_AGENT_STREAM - if yes, log out, you're boned. Here's what that looks like: https://imgur.com/a/Ph142Rm

Add map info instructions:

Right click your GW2 shortcut that you launch the game from, select Properties.
In "Target" add in -mapLoadinfo outside of the brackets. Here's an example of mine: 
"D:\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe" -mapLoadinfo

• Like 2

I don't envy the engineer(s) tasked with developing a fix for this - if it were as simple as implementing a new Signed Certificate the issue would've been resolved by now.  From asking numerous other players this bug doesn't affect everyone the same way or at near the occurrence rate as some, and if it isn't easily reproducible in the pre-production client - good luck hunting down what might be something as simple as a missed/misplaced operator somewhere in what I imagine is thousands of lines of code added with EoD to post.

Thank you for telling us you're working on it, and make sure to give the dev(s) working on a fix a cookie!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Kor.5983 said:

I don't envy the engineer(s) tasked with developing a fix for this - if it were as simple as implementing a new Signed Certificate the issue would've been resolved by now.  From asking numerous other players this bug doesn't affect everyone the same way or at near the occurrence rate as some, and if it isn't easily reproducible in the pre-production client - good luck hunting down what might be something as simple as a missed/misplaced operator somewhere in what I imagine is thousands of lines of code added with EoD to post.

Thank you for telling us you're working on it, and make sure to give the dev(s) working on a fix a cookie!

It being difficult to figure out and/or fix is Fair,

But they still should compensate the affected players (if too much trouble for them all of them) for the troubles.
That would be a gesture that would definitively appreciated considering that this is impacting people to partake some activities for almost a month-timespan.

They should also allocate more employees on this to make sure this doesn't happen next festival or they should pull the plug on the events until this is resolved, because as much as I hate to say it, this issue is giving an advantage (potential gains) for account that are not affected.

Edited by KurokouNekoki.7891
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1