Switching characters results in infinite load screen [Merged]

It's game code issue.. linked to amount of Characters you have. More.. worse. If you characters and back ground graphics do not load.. your affected. Hope the fix it soon.. or maybe it will go away when adventure box is don.. Since it was first noticed with that patch.

Anyway, when logging into GW2, look at your background graphics, if character and back ground picture do not load.. Restart game, keep doing that until it loads.. then log into game. Annoying.. yes, but let's X our finger that Anet fix this bug. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Grimleiv.9813 said:

If you can't log in at all, delete the Local.dat file. That will fix it. I made a batch file to start game now. It delete Local.dat then start GW264.exe. Works like a charm.. but still annoying that they do not prior to fix this.

If you can't log in at all, delete the Local.dat file. That will fix it. I made a batch file to start game now. It delete Local.dat then start GW264.exe. Works like a charm.. but still annoying that they do not prior to fix this.

19 hours ago, jdeshano.7592 said:

UPDATE: after deleting my Local.dat again, I have to concur with Bombsalot now. I was able to go through 30 toons so far and they all loaded up fine now, no hang-ups.

The main character screen still takes awhile to load, but the characters across the bottom load up much quicker now, and I can even load up the game without waiting for the images to load, so I just sped through the first 30 quickly and everything looks to be working good so far.

So yeah, big thanks to that engineer!

EDIT: Should've kept going haha, 34th character and it hung up again with graphic glitches. Still a big improvement for me from yesterday though.

yeah it works for a bit and then randomly gets stuck switching characters. still not fixed.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2022 at 1:59 PM, trouble.3562 said:

1 week of an issue they say is hard to solve, still not fixed, and they say just 1 engineer is fixing it.

It looks a bit that the situation can be underestimated. Or its just not important that we cant play normally since we arent "the entire community"

Amount of time a fix requires is partially dependent on the priority of the issue. Low priority usually means, keep the standard team and fix "soon" or within a casual time frame in my experiences. As this is not an emergency, it is delayed on the fix. If we were all affected by this every time we logged in, their gem store sales would slump and this would be deemed an emergency. You are correct - we are not the entire community, sadly.

Edited by Demalii.9435
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Demalii.9435 said:

Amount of time a fix requires is partially dependent on the priority of the issue. Low priority usually means, keep the standard team and fix "soon" or within a casual time frame in my experiences. As this is not an emergency, it is delayed on the fix. If we were all affected by this every time we logged in, their gem store sales would slump and this would be deemed an emergency. You are correct - we are not the entire community, sadly.

As a player with multiple accounts, one with a full roster and one with nearly full, and two more with dozens, I'm glad to know that veteran players--the one's most likely to have those big rosters and to have spent $$ to buy slots and thus to be experiencing this stupid problem--are a "back burner" demographic.   Really makes me warm inside to know my place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Kruhljak.2705 said:

As a player with multiple accounts, one with a full roster and one with nearly full, and two more with dozens, I'm glad to know that veteran players--the one's most likely to have those big rosters and to have spent $$ to buy slots and thus to be experiencing this stupid problem--are a "back burner" demographic.   Really makes me warm inside to know my place.

I'm in agreement. While we don't know the severity of the issue, it's affecting people who have paid for extensions to their account - chances being with real money. If it's not top, or close to top, priority that tells me they don't value me as a customer, they value my money.

I've had to retire my main fractal character in favor of a class that can run both builds I need to switch between, as it was wasting everyone's time when I had to restart my client every time switching from fb > miralac, and then wasting their time switching back to fb for strikes. This isn't alt character friendly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Miss Lana.5276 said:

I'm in agreement. While we don't know the severity of the issue, it's affecting people who have paid for extensions to their account - chances being with real money. If it's not top, or close to top, priority that tells me they don't value me as a customer, they value my money.

I've had to retire my main fractal character in favor of a class that can run both builds I need to switch between, as it was wasting everyone's time when I had to restart my client every time switching from fb > miralac, and then wasting their time switching back to fb for strikes. This isn't alt character friendly.

Getting litterally "Ejected" from a META and not being able to rejoin the Map (because you have to reboot) and wasting 1.5 hours of participation because of that Stinking Bug is also super aggrivating.

ANet has kind of lost my respect and faith with this extremely and borderline unacceptable slow progress with this bug, should have put more Engineers on this to begin with.

Considering the bug nature, ANet pays their employees but we kind of paying ANet. Get your thing together!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, KurokouNekoki.7891 said:

Getting litterally "Ejected" from a META and not being able to rejoin the Map (because you have to reboot) and wasting 1.5 hours of participation because of that Stinking Bug is also super aggrivating.

man that really sucks 😞 i'm avoiding playing atm, playing catchup on my pile of shame but i'm thinking maybe we should take this to the media. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

My game hasn't crashed today, since the update. 

However, I only have about 11 characters.  It could be a stealth patch is happening and its affecting accounts with the least amount of characters first.  Not sure. 

Or maybe I just got lucky today xD

• Haha 1

I'm going to say you got lucky, I have seen the issue just a few minutes ago.

4 hours ago, reapex.8546 said:

My game hasn't crashed today, since the update. 

However, I only have about 11 characters.  It could be a stealth patch is happening and its affecting accounts with the least amount of characters first.  Not sure. 

Or maybe I just got lucky today xD

• Like 2

I wonder: 

how many days have to pass for a bug in order to be important?

how many players need to be affected with a bug in order to be important?

Im no game expert so i do not know. But  I am curious about this. Opinions?

Im just a 15-20k  hours gw2 player with 69 toons :/

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Ummm well here we go again. Back to the same bug after working fine. How is that even a thing. It has to be something that the servers are not doing right when loading the toons. At least it is a consistent bug. It doses work temporarily for a few log ins and then breaks again. 😞

Edited by Busty Bombsalot.4570

3 hours ago, pola.4069 said:

I have only logged to write this: IT WONT BE FIXED BCOZ ANET HAS NO IDEAD HOW TO FIX IT 😞

IT WILL BE FIXED WHEN THEY SWITCH OFF _THE WORST FESTIVAL_

im off.

They know how to fix it.. They just don't care.. cus it do not affect anyone but those who put a lot work in characters and the game.. Just sad. 

Anyway, just make a batch file that delete C:\user\username\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2/Local.dat

Every time you switch character.. Annoying ofc, but it solve the problem. Alternative.. just kitten GW2 go to a game that care.

Edited by Grimleiv.9813
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Busty Bombsalot.4570 said:

Ummm well here we go again. Back to the same bug after working fine. How is that even a thing. It has to be something that the servers are not doing right when loading the toons. At least it is a consistent bug. It doses work temporarily for a few log ins and then breaks again. 😞

Yeah same, was working very well for me the other day when I saw your post, but now it's back to buggin' and glitchin'

I've had to restart the game while switching characters several times just now 😕 Like others are saying it seemed better/not as bad for awhile but at this moment it's seemingly the worst it's been for me since it has started.

I'm glad they are aware of it and hoping for a fix super soon! 🤞🏻

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 12:19 AM, Amber Evotion.5910 said:

For the record, I didnt' realise this forum post was here and I posted a ticket. They're answer is below:

This is a pretty crappy PR response. There was no problems running this on Win 11 before, and clearly this forum has shown I'm not one of the few. Not only that, there's no offer of future support, nor a link to this forum thread which is what I had asked for prior to this one. 

On top of that, its worded to say "its your fault" like that will help either side of the conversation. 

On top of that, Minimum system requirements for the game state it run on any Windows from 7 and aboove. 

I'm not saying they're not doing their job in the technical department, but this was worded in such an unhelpful way that was only going to end unhappily. 

PS: whoever said the 9 people to make a baby in one month analogy made me laugh. 

The problem is not with windows 11. I had this problem on my old pc running windows 10. Since a week i have a new pc running windows 11 and i have not seen this problem anymore.

Thing that worries me is they use win11 as an excuse for not having to check your error log...

Edited by GODh.3892
stupid white lines
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, pola.4069 said:

I have only logged to write this: IT WONT BE FIXED BCOZ ANET HAS NO IDEAD HOW TO FIX IT 😞

IT WILL BE FIXED WHEN THEY SWITCH OFF _THE WORST FESTIVAL_

im off.

What makes you think the Lunar New Year festival has anything to do with this issue?

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Not even the batch works for me, I have 71 characters (meaning I have invested a bunch into this game) refresh the local.dat make my first character for a boot session load nice and easy, the moment I switch out I'm locked out.

I'm sorry ANet... but THIS IS JUST PLAIN STUPID and literal PURE INCOMPETENCY at this point!

You are not doing anything about it, and it just shows...

It is up to you, to actually prove to us (not with WORDS but with ACTIONS) that you are on track with things, because by now you haven't proven a single thing to us. (AND NO HAVING A 4TH EXPANSION IS NOT PROOF of that; IT IS A PROOF THAT YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT ANYTHING BUT THE MONEY (which fair is the goal of a Company but still YOUR PRIORITIES ARE COMPLETELY ASTRAYED)).

Going to be extremely blunt here, you have the material with Potential for a 4th Expansion, but as of right now, at THIS moment you DO NOT DESERVE TO REACH THAT FAR.

Milking for Milking is not good, especially when the Quality of the Product is questionnable.
Unless that's your goal to just go bankrupt.

You have ran out of opportunities ANet, the trust and faith of a good chunk of your community is on the line right now.

This is practically an ultimatum, get your things together; or save the little grace you have left; and just call it off if you are unable to provide actual results and proof of your efforts. I have defended your company for long enough, but I clearly see that this faith to defend was heavily misplaced.

Things you say on Paper is all nice and dandy, but there is not a single shred of proof going on. Who are you trying to convince right now? Admit it, your "Values" are Fading and you cannot accept it...

Edited by KurokouNekoki.7891
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Lately I only play pvp, and I can say that when there are less than 30 seconds left and you change characters, that's when the loop comes and I have to restart the game and of course once inside it won't let me enter the game with the consequent sanction of points and disgrace . I have more than 50 characters and windows 10.