Switching characters results in infinite load screen [Merged]

19 minutes ago, Miss Lana.5276 said:

It's not willbender. It's not an outfit. I get it on every character 100% of the time I try to switch. There is no common denominator other than "I tried to load into a character".

That's not my point. I'm saying that when I've noticed that that indicates that the error has happened before "I tried to load into a character". At least for me. It might be something other than the outfit, but so far, if all my character portraits load, I can change characters. If a character portrait doesn't load as the linked image in my previous post, I won't be able to switch characters.. And so far the only characters that don't load are those wearing the gem aura outfit.

Only thing that I'm really suggesting here is that when people switch characters take a few seconds and see how many of your characters' portraits load.

Edited by ShadowbaneX.6273
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, ShadowbaneX.6273 said:

That's not my point. I'm saying that when I've noticed that that indicates that the error has happened before "I tried to load into a character". At least for me. It might be something other than the outfit, but so far, if all my character portraits load, I can change characters. If a character portrait doesn't load as the linked image in my previous post, I won't be able to switch characters.. And so far the only characters that don't load are those wearing the gem aura outfit.

I neither have any willbender, nor an outfit. Still running into the problem every time I switch character, no matter where the characters are, no matter what class they are. Its an problem within the code, with not "trigger" on your account/character. You would also run into that problem if all of your characters where naked with no elite spec. 

• Like 4

On 4/2/2022 at 12:31 PM, CJH.2879 said:

I believe I have found a TEMPORARY FIX! It doesn't eliminate the problem completely, however... (to get by in the interim)...

member if you don't see the character icons loading 100% down the bottom of the screen in the character selection, it's a failed load!

Thank you, I noticed the same thing yesterday but wasn't sure if it was a one time thing or not.  
I'm glad someone else confirmed it.  Now, I won't waste time trying to log in on the character select when I know its not going to work. 

2 hours ago, ShadowbaneX.6273 said:

Only thing that I'm really suggesting here is that when people switch characters take a few seconds and see how many of your characters' portraits load.

Your point related to an outfit, and potentially an elite spec. My point was that that point has no ground to stand on, as I - and many, many others in this thread and without - get that on characters with or without outfits. The character select screen not loading has been noted a few times, that I'm not - and wasn't - refuting.

• Like 2

Now this is puzzling: I have access to several accounts, all purchased (no F2P acc) and with various expansions. The only account with this issue is my own, all the other accounts run just fine the way they do for years. I use the same GPU options for all of them, no add-ons.

I retract my suggestion from yesterday concerning the map 'Draconis Mons'. Just a few minutes ago the black loading screen of infinity happened with a character on a PoF map.

Edited by Percy.2954

13 hours ago, Florimel.8069 said:

Keep calm. They said they are aware of it and looking into it. But also Anet developers deserve a weekend. I am sure they'll fix it next week.

am pretty sure they would have fixed it with the highest priority if it concerned the GemShop. Also  - severe bugs affecting whales (aka people who have  quite a lot of characters  - am feeling a bit "low end" here with only 30 slots), usually people who pay money for stuff "now and then" feels like a bad choice, if the game is B2P in principle. 
Speaking from personal experience - any coder/software developer I know who's work has a major bug, affecting gameplay for a significant number of people, their company would run extra shifts over the weekend.  My significant other's company certainly does. Most professions do.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

one more observation : loading characters on the same location and zone, seems to help on  the "black screen problem". I can get up to 5 characters loaded  in a row if they are on the same spot (zone) , and I do not change zones and return (say, by accessing the GH, PvP etc ).
Changing zones - no more than one change of character, = black screen and a reload

Edited by achwas.6190

15 hours ago, Miss Lana.5276 said:

Your point related to an outfit, and potentially an elite spec. My point was that that point has no ground to stand on, as I - and many, many others in this thread and without - get that on characters with or without outfits. The character select screen not loading has been noted a few times, that I'm not - and wasn't - refuting.

It has been noted quite a few times that the character select screen isn't loading, however I wasn't aware of anyone pointing out that a specific character portrait wasn't loading. So, when it happened several times in a row for me, and it was always the same character's portrait that failed to load, well, that seems like a correlation (although as the saying goes, it's definitely not a causation). When I switched a second character to that outfit and then that character was the portrait was the one that failed to load, well, that was just another data point.

I posted this information to see if anyone else had a similar experience, not as definitive proof that it was the source of the bug.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KurokouNekoki.7891 said:

If I need to chime on my own experience, I restarted the game already 150 times in a single week, which should put the Bug in Critical Priority.

For a note, I found out that the infinite loading tend to happen (on my side at least) after I play as a Vindicator and then swapping toons.

I would argue this is a P0 or blocker instead of critical.

It is literally unplayable for some people.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Florimel.8069 said:

Keep calm. They said they are aware of it and looking into it. But also Anet developers deserve a weekend. I am sure they'll fix it next week.

First off who asked you? Second I have invested several thousand dollars in this game and as a paying customer I expect at very least a reply from Anet or better yet a free legendary for the inconvenience. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, maplemist.5897 said:

I would argue this is a P0 or blocker instead of critical.

It is literally unplayable for some people.

Well I think we both mean it is both a "MUST FIX" and an "ASAP".

With the Festival running this is not a good thing, they probably could extend the festival for how long the bug is going to remains, as a "Compensation" and "Honoring" that something isn't right in the system right now.

• Like 1

Could be that they made changes to SAB and rather than try to sort through some complex interaction on limited content, they are going to wait until end of SAB festival, then roll something back that will no longer cause a problem with the festival timing, then sort out the fix.

Could also be that they tried to do a quick fix and then discovered no such fix exists. I mean they just announced there has been a bug since launch that doesn't process the WvW queue system right.

I also have a feeling this isn't practically affecting as many people as we all think - a tiny fraction of the playerbase uses the forums or files bug reports - for people that only play one character (and I think that's 99% of the population) this is a non-issue.

23 minutes ago, phantom.1675 said:

Could also be that they tried to do a quick fix and then discovered no such fix exists. I mean they just announced there has been a bug since launch that doesn't process the WvW queue system right.

Could you please point me in the direction of this announcement, kind sir or madam?

Edited by Silver.9710
  • Sad 1

I use gw2launcher, never have had issues. But like people say a few days ago it started:

When I load a toon in ANOTHER map. ( Say going from one in DR to one in Desert map, or Arborstone ) Loading takes forever, and often after loading my toon is not visible, and many skills are too. I can move a bit, but suddenly my location zaps around and I end up dead or downed )

When I remove cache files I can load it normally but it returns when I load another toon in another map.

Happens in gw2launcher, but also in single load.

Good to see its not my setup but something that came as a gift :-)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The fact that this issue is still a thing more than a week after first report is a shame. A week where this game is literally unplayable for an amount of people. ALSO: While a major festival is taking place, I now lost the ability to participate for a whole week. I'm majorly annoyed ...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I've gotten this bug without even logging in to a character in game --- just from deleting a character, or attempting to create a character but then going back to the character select screen, and having the tell-tale sign of not all the character icons loading properly. Basically the character select breaks if you ask it to do multiple things.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, phantom.1675 said:

Could be that they made changes to SAB and rather than try to sort through some complex interaction on limited content, they are going to wait until end of SAB festival, then roll something back that will no longer cause a problem with the festival timing, then sort out the fix.

I also have a feeling this isn't practically affecting as many people as we all think - a tiny fraction of the playerbase uses the forums or files bug reports - for people that only play one character (and I think that's 99% of the population) this is a non-issue.

less theorizing , more facts perhaps.
It is pretty obvious it is related to SAB (started the moment SAB was patched in ) and probably EoD (since most of the accounts  affected run EoD ). OCCAMs razor to the rescue, if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it likely is a duck , not a T-Rex pretending to be a duck...
If they patched in bad code, why did that happen ? And why does it seem impossible to eliminate or correct  said code ? Also if they tried a fix, they would have announced it...

And not being able to participate in SAB and gaining the skins and achievements from it matters to a lot of the long time players who aim for highest APs and keeping a perfect score on their personal goals, so a roleback or "shrugging of shoulders" sits badly for them. personally I simply don't care but at least two people in my guild are livid over this

Edited by achwas.6190
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/31/2022 at 6:25 PM, evlover.6270 said:

Yup, my main acc (all expansions and max amount of char slots) bugs out on every character swap. Meanwhile, alt acc with HoT/PoF and only 8 chars does not run into the bug at all.

Now you say it. My main account: 71 has the bug, the alt accounts (35) and (15) less so or not

Just now I swapped to an alt in draconis to go and map and guess what: long loading and when loaded a lot of stuff has not loaded: all inventory, many skills, bank. Icons in top left are grey and when opened only show outlines. I can use skills but the pics are not loaded.. etc

So I swap to Assassins Creed for the evening. This is not working.

Edited by Eulefant.9624
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Eulefant.9624 said:

Now you say it. My main account: 71 has the bug, the alt accounts (35) and (15) less so or not

Lots of people are saying this, but the relevant question is "How many times do you switch characters on your alt account".

I could say "My alt accounts don't have this issue", but I only play a single character on each of them, so the issue has no chance to arise, whereas I get it every time I switch on my main account because I switch characters a lot.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, The Urps.8379 said:

The fact that this issue is still a thing more than a week after first report is a shame. A week where this game is literally unplayable for an amount of people. ALSO: While a major festival is taking place, I now lost the ability to participate for a whole week. I'm majorly annoyed ...

This. Makes the game nearly unplayable and denies those impacted by the bug a chance to participate in the festival. Needs to be fixed ASAP

• Like 3
  • Sad 1