Switching characters results in infinite load screen [Merged]

This is happening to me too. When I boot the client up, everything is fine and running smoothly. But once I switch characters a few times then surfaces and assets refuse to load in. I've waited about fifteen minutes to see if they would but nope. Standing still does nothing. Going to a new map does nothing. Returning to the character selection screen will still show the UI but the screen is otherwise black; the characters and background don't load in.

Sometimes I can switch characters two or three times before this starts to happen. Otherwise it's on the first switch.

• Like 2

Since the recent patch update on 3/29/2022 I and many others have had issues regarding our games.

When we log in, not only does it take a longer time than normal, but our characters, skills, inventory and map do not load properly, or sometimes not at all. I do not use the DX11 beta, and neither do some of the others that have mentioned of having this same issue.

I hope this is addressed soon.

• Like 7

I am also having the same issue since patch today. I recorded the gameplay. 

My load screens are about 2 mins (randomly) and when I do load the world is broken. 

It almost appears that I load in under the maps into water. The landscape doesn’t load, nor does the tp, hero panel, skill bars and so on.

My character is stuck in the ground until I mount. When mounted I can see my character name back at stuck position but my mount continues to roam around, I’ve even been able to farm nodes yards away from my character location. 

Unfortunate that this is happening but glad to hear I’m not the only one dealing with this issue. Ty for posting. 

• Like 3

I can confirm this, logging in the first time works fine by changing characters results in the character list not being populated and various interface bugs, then if the map ever loads its just empty.

I have to completely restart the game to change characters.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

I can confirm this, logging in the first time works fine by changing characters results in the character list not being populated and various interface bugs, then if the map ever loads its just empty.

I have to completely restart the game to change characters.

Same.  Have to completely restart to change characters.

I posted this on Reddit before finding it on this forum.

I have same experience and I replicated the issue on both PC and GeForce Now. 

-------------------------------------

After today's patch, when I switch between toons, occasionally (usually on 2nd - 3rd switch), the characters in my log in screen cannot populate. Ex. Only 1-4 of my 20 character slots would populate with the character's image.

When that happens, regardless of which toon I choose, I cannot no longer load into the map properly. Ex. the loading time is significantly longer (a couple minutes instead of a less than 15second on my SSD) and all skill icons disappears after loading.

Other observations:

This occures when I switch toon

I have 20 characters

Everytime it happens I have to restart game

Same issue replicated with GeForce Now and PC

•  
  • Like 2

Confirming this as well. First load or two seems fine but after that, load times are increased up to a minute or longer, missing textures and can't see my inventory items except the corresponding rarity squares of the items.

I thought maybe I was having a hardware issue but my ram and everything is normal.

Edit: Deleting local.dat didn't fix the issue either, switching characters results in same issues, missing inventory, missing skill bar, etc., even got stuck in the floor in Rata Sum on load-in.

Edited by jdeshano.7592

It also effects my character selection screen, the larger window with the Cantha background remains black, my character models do not load, even in the icon windows at the bottom. And when I do select a character the loading screen and the map icons (HP's, vistas, pois ect) also do not load. I have restarted my PC and even restarted my internet modem, but there has been no change sadly. I have submitted a bug report in game and even submitted a ticket.

I really am hoping this gets resolved soon

• Like 1

same, the character selection screen is black, you can see the character selection window are all blank.

https://i.imgur.com/qGJ3mZ4.jpeg

you can click on them to load into map

maploadinfo show it is stuck on STATE_AGENT_STREAM, the map load complete is 100%, modelsloaded continuously bounce between 8xx - 9xx

sometimes the game would load in with the map floor missing, and my character model is missing too

https://i.imgur.com/tPoIQRr.jpeg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, crepuscular.9047 said:

same, the character selection screen is black, you can see the character selection window are all blank.

https://i.imgur.com/qGJ3mZ4.jpeg

you can click on them to load into map

maploadinfo show it is stuck on STATE_AGENT_STREAM, the map load complete is 100%, modelsloaded continuously bounce between 8xx - 9xx

sometimes the game would load in with the map floor missing, and my character model is missing too

https://i.imgur.com/tPoIQRr.jpeg

All this. Have the same issue. No patch yet. Worst is, I can't play my favorite festival. The silence of anet regarding this issue is sad.

Also having this issue. No dx11, cleared cache, repaired client, removed arcdps and even reseted my router.

Can't change charater normally, if I try the char select screen remains black, icons black, and the loading screen is infinite. When the map loads everything is completely borked, like others have described. Only restarting the client and then changing char will the maps/assets etc load properly. I need to close client everytime I wanna change character. Otherwise it won't just work.

• Sad 1

Same problem, 

https://i.imgur.com/Ml6uMsO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XSke3Un.png

https://i.imgur.com/0X8EHio.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4rXwRZn.jpg

Both dx11 and dx9 has the problem. No addon. Sometimes the ground also disappear, and i can't move at all. Once it bugged, subsequent load can't fix anything. The bug is there until complete client restart. Some character's picture in character selection are also completely black.

Edited by Frostroses.4196
adding more screenshot
  • Like 1

one thing to give anet a tip: it does NOT, i repeat, it does NOT happen to my account without EoD.

That one logs in perfectly with no issues. It happens only to my main with EoD , either in or out EoD. But sometimes I can log in and play pvp or wvw. Pve is harder don't know why.

did some further checking 
- Exchanged Graphics card : same on GeForce 1050 and Geforce 3060 TI, all on current drivers
- reinstalled game (complete) in a different location : no effect
- DirectX 9 or 11 (beta) makes no freaking difference
- memory test came up all clear
- after one reload and logout loading times increase
If I load in through the 3 min long load, all skills are "invisible" (empty frame in the toolbar ) and have no visible effect on screen 

if used. character is "stationary" and cannot be moved (but can interact with say a very close node).

- complete logout + reload needed for everything.

Beautiful Spaghetti code, if re-adding a tried and true area like SAB screws up the working rest of the game

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Me one, two, three, four...all accounts experiencing the same issue with any character after the first loaded into game and logged back to character list.

Spoke too soon.  This is also happening immediately after exiting and reloading, not just after getting an initial character in and back to the character list.  Yay.

Edited by Kruhljak.2705
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, achwas.6190 said:

Beautiful Spaghetti code, if re-adding a tried and true area like SAB screws up the working rest of the game

That's why they never even dared to think about updating dungeons. Rather leave one big spaghetti all tangled up than trying to untangle the whole thing and create new knots all over the place ;D

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to Switching characters results in infinite load screen [Merged]

This is happening to my main account but it has more than 30 characters on it. My other alt accounts which have less than 12 have no problem changing characters or loading a new map without corruption. I don't know if this makes a difference but thought I would add this. 

Edited by Sparc.2103
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sparc.2103 said:

This is happening to my main account but it has more than 30 characters on it. My other alt accounts which have less than 12 have no problem changing characters or loading a new map without corruption. I don't know if this makes a difference but thought I would add this. 

both have EoD?