Why is Dragonhunter the most oppressive class in sPvP?

DEL.9468

Nothing rivals that sweet unblockable, undodgable, invisible, pulling, AoE, trapping sweet sweet 5k crits per hit minimum DAMAGE.

The level of annoing is pretty much on par or surpassing the decap thiefs and the whole class >Necromancer<.

Edited by LexIcon.2819
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 12

• DEL.9468 changed the title to Why is Dragonhunter the most oppressive class in sPvP?

It's dodgeable, stunbreakable, breakable by just moving out of max range and it's not invisible. The only thing that's semi correct is that test of faith crits for 5k, and it better considering dh has 11k max health and 3 offensive traitlines.

Edit: thought he meant spear, not the entire kit.

Edited by Math.5123
  • Like 2
  • Confused 10

1 minute ago, Math.5123 said:

It's dodgeable, stunbreakable, breakable by just moving out of max range and it's not invisible. The only thing that's semi correct is that test of faith crits for 5k, and it better considering dh has 11k max health and 3 offensive traitlines.

You can't stunbreak through longbow 5, logbow 3 is unblockable. Test of Faith is unblockable. Spear pull is ublockable.

Not invisible? Read what Rune of the Trapper does, dude.

11k HP with heavy armor and that toolkit isn't really an argument. Guess why he can have 3 offensive traitlines?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, LexIcon.2819 said:

You can't stunbreak through longbow 5, logbow 3 is unblockable. Test of Faith is unblockable. Spear pull is ublockable.

Not invisible? Read what Rune of the Trapper does, dude.

11k HP with heavy armor and that toolkit isn't really an argument. Guess why he can have 3 offensive traitlines?

I thought you were referring to f1 alone. My bad. If you just list things, everything can be made to sound op. 

Lb5 is very dodgeable, if you get hit by lb3 idk what to tell you. And yes, DH has access to invisibility. Just like thief, mesmer, engi, ranger. 

Heavy armor means very little in this day an age, protection access is far stronger. And the reason it can't run less than 3 offensive traitlines is because you don't have enough damage to kill anything. 

As a guard, you don't have the means to stay on an enemy, so any guardian build that can't 100-0 people will never see play. And besides, dh is dogtier vs good players. Which is why you've never seen it in tournament play. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

What rank is this for? In Plat a DH is like a free kill often times. See so few of them. Its more of a meme build for killing people who don't stunbreak or dodge effectively. You can see it coming, the stealth isn't long enough for them to reach you, if they stealth infront of you then you know where the trap is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

And here I thought it was support guard that is oppressive. I see one on each team and I groan internally. I see one on my team only and I go, free win. Resp. free loss if only the opponent team has it. I still remember that 1 person asking the opponent team, how could you lose with a support guard vs a team without one.

The best thing in unranked is, almost no1 plays support guard and the games are actually fun. Too bad there are no rewards.

On topic... the trap runes are pretty cheesy but DH wouldn't exist without them so... Better to have 1 more build you can fight than have to face the same 5 builds over and over again. Even if it feels kinda cheesy to die to it.

Edited by Hotride.2187

6 hours ago, LexIcon.2819 said:

Nothing rivals that sweet unblockable, undodgable, invisible, pulling, AoE, trapping sweet sweet 5k crits per hit minimum DAMAGE.

The level of annoing is pretty much on par or surpassing the decap thiefs and the whole class >Necromancer<.

Clearly you have somehow time traveled from 2015 into 2022. Before you go back, I just wanted you to know that between 2015 and 2022, Guild Wars 2 will undergo a great deal of power creep. In 2022 there will be Adamantine Thief & Engineer Gods named Specter and Mechanist. These classes will greatly outperform everything and Dragonhunter will be the least of your worries.

When you hop back into your wormhole and go back to 2015, I urgently advise you to MAKE SURE that Arenanet does not change Ranked queue into solo/duo only. Do whatever you can to make sure this does not happen. There is still time to save the future.

~ Good luck

• Haha 6
  • Confused 2

Trap dh is a noob stomp build nothing more but is potent asf against players who don't know how to fight it. The trapper runes are what make this build so effective, problem with nerfing the trapper runes is it will likely out right kill the build and if that's not enough kills some ranger builds and yeah I get it yay annoying builds gone, but at this point do we really want to lose even more build diversity? In 4 years or so each class will literally end up with 1 build played each if we keep going on this path.

• Thanks 2

I really don't get this whole "yeah, we get that rune of the Trapper is OP/ the builds are cheesy, but hey it's build diversity" logic.

Imagine you go to a fancy steakhouse and on the menu they've got filet mignon, prime rib, rib eye, NY strip...and a kitten sandwich.

You ask the waitress "why is there literally crap on the menu?" 

She shrugs and says, "Menu diversity."

(She naturally goes on to expound how the kitten sandwich isn't really overperforming and rarely sees use in high level dining and how much some people just love a mouthful of kitten.)

Point is, if you're striving to create a *quality* experience, you get rid of the crap, regardless of what it does for "diversity". Want more diversity? Make more stuff high quality so it *deserves* to see prime time. Don't settle for crap.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

4 hours ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Trap dh is a noob stomp build nothing more

I know several other builds that were easier to avoid than Trapper DHs that saw nerfs despite also being merely "noob stomper builds", and  so do you.

Not that I am advocating for nerfs in this case, but you know how the forums get. Not to mention that if a build is a noob stomper it can probably be played well enough to be a mid/gold/low plat stomper in fringe cases by someone significantly skilled, and that's really all you need. 

I got nothing against noob stompers, but if we're gonna allow those in our neverending quest for balance/diversity it needs to be across the board.

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Point is, if you're striving to create a *quality* experience, you get rid of the crap, regardless of what it does for "diversity". Want more diversity? Make more stuff high quality so it *deserves* to see prime time. Don't settle for crap.

Tbh I struggle to see the quality from all the crap. So I have little faith in seeing only high quality, even if there were frequent patches and polishing. And there isn't.

If the result of a thread like this is, 2 lines of spvp changes out of 500 lines patch notes about pve, that trap runes get 20 sec CD... And then there is nothing else for 6 months... IMO that is where this view comes from.

Edited by Hotride.2187

It is oppressive below gold2-3.

But since when you are plat you can be matches with lower elo teammates because of low population, it can be a real pug stomper and look crazy op.

Don't get me wrong, it's an ape tier build, low risk high reward, but nowhere near being broken or something. It's a build for casuals, who wanna play and stomp pugs, nothing more.

Another reason it shines it's because nobody runs toughness amulets, everyone is in berserker, avatar, carrion, marauder.

Playing as lr catalyst (grimjack build) yesterday I got hit by a 11k trueshot, I was too late to go earth for protection plus reflect, it's crazy, but expected, I'm not going into the forum saying how broken that ability is. I play an high risk high reward build, it's normal.

I do agree trapper runes it's cheesy and shouldn't be allowed anymore, same as they removed/nerfed all other runes and amulets, that needs to go.

Pro tip, if you fail to dodge the spear and you get caught, don't panic, watch their character animation, as soon they hit the pull, insta break free and you will stop after few "range" like 450 or less, and you probably won't even proc or enter the traps zone, it's just having good muscle memory and a stunbreak always ready for it.

Of course if you are with no cds, you are dead no matter what, dh or not nothing much changes.

Have fun.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Clearly you have somehow time traveled from 2015 into 2022. Before you go back, I just wanted you to know that between 2015 and 2022, Guild Wars 2 will undergo a great deal of power creep. In 2022 there will be Adamantine Thief & Engineer Gods named Specter and Mechanist. These classes will greatly outperform everything and Dragonhunter will be the least of your worries.

When you hop back into your wormhole and go back to 2015, I urgently advise you to MAKE SURE that Arenanet does not change Ranked queue into solo/duo only. Do whatever you can to make sure this does not happen. There is still time to save the future.

~ Good luck

Legend

23 hours ago, LexIcon.2819 said:

I wanted to point out how op is wrong but here comes this guardian apologist

23 hours ago, Math.5123 said:

Edit: thought he meant spear, not the entire kit.

Yeah nvm you guys can keep throwing kitten at eachother, anet doesnt read this forum anyway

16 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

~ Good luck

Cringe.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

I haven't really been following gw2 a whole lot in last few months or more but was wondering what power build guard/dh had that was viable in the higher tier games other than the core support build, Does guardian have a variety of played builds currently in pvp other than trapper and support build?

They just buffed the heck out of willbender and power guardian in general. It's too early to tell if any of those variants will emerge as a meta option, but they at least seem promising from what I've seen so far.

Its not.

Ironically the best way to deal with them is pressuring them at mid/long range, almost any of these builds will outtrade them if you keep out of their "turf"(aka the point they palmed all their traps on) and they don't have much to force you into it if you dodge the spear.

It is a very effective "noobstomper" though and its pretty hard to fight on pure melee builds.

Bonus meme, they completely hardcounter Vindicator. As in you don't even have single dodge frame available to you if you play vs a decent one, not that its a major issue as far as the overarching meta is concerned as Vindicator was sent to the dumpster.

Edited by Ashgar.3024
  • Thanks 1