Unkillable Celestial Catalysts?

With the exception of eles that run every tanky trait possible alongside fairly tanky stats i.e. full cele with water/earth traitlines and stone heart trait with full defensive utilities.... Assuming this isn't what you're fighting, if you can't kill them then it's you who does no damage. I get melted by competent roamers frequently after I've made just one mistake.

Ele is a downstate class, every other class does what it does better with fewer buttons pressed and less braincells used.

Source: played virtually every ele build possible and over 6000 hrs on ele. No that doesn't automatically validate my opinion but I'm pretty sure I'd know

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

This is hardly a catalyst exclusive issue. Many classes can build themselves to be un-killable. Catalyst probably might be a bit more visible because its abilities are blocks/invulns floating in your face when your attacks fail, but its no different than the sustain that other classes can build up whether it be through protection/regen spam, extra health bars, olypmic level mobility, stealth abuse or whatever. All classes have the ability to last forever in fights if built correctly.  Honest, if anything it makes sense since Catalyst is meant to be the bruiser-esque archetype of the Elementalist, they should be hard to kill.

On 4/14/2022 at 9:55 PM, Shroud.2307 said:

Your options:

1 player can't kill them? Bring another.
2 can't kill them? Bring another.
3 can't kill them? ...
Bring a; Necro, Thief, or Mesmer.
BOON HATE.
Quaggan tonic and flee.

Kind of getting outside the topic here but, there are lots of things that are obnoxious and/or very difficult to kill 1 v 1 in WvW. Catalyst ain't unique, and like everything it has its weaknesses. 

This is another matter of Celestial being too good. 
I don't think it's ever good to blanket nerf things, but Celestial is a special case where the bottom line is that it offers too much and makes every other hybrid stat irrelevant.
It doesn't matter if only some things can get the maximum value out of it. It doesn't matter if it's only a issue in roaming. The stat is bloated, limits diversity, and makes some things stronger than they have any right to be.

Personally, I enjoy Cele. I like how it feels to use, and I do sometimes use it. I'm not going to complain if ANet never nerfs it, but it absolutely deserves to be.

This had me dying... I was playing in Isle of Janthir server, I call out:

"Any tags or players on?"

Player 1: Don't bother they are all running around as quaggans.

Me: Huh?

Scene: 100 PLUS Golems were at camp and dancing around them are a bunch of players...... Potioned as quaggans worshipping the siege golems. Fair to say Isle of Janthir is the worst server

On 4/17/2022 at 11:02 AM, solemn.9608 said:

With the exception of eles that run every tanky trait possible alongside fairly tanky stats i.e. full cele with water/earth traitlines and stone heart trait with full defensive utilities.... Assuming this isn't what you're fighting, if you can't kill them then it's you who does no damage. I get melted by competent roamers frequently after I've made just one mistake.

Ele is a downstate class, every other class does what it does better with fewer buttons pressed and less braincells used.

Source: played virtually every ele build possible and over 6000 hrs on ele. No that doesn't automatically validate my opinion but I'm pretty sure I'd know

take a lesson from one of those nooby bronze ele that camp stone heart rofl.

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2022 at 6:02 PM, solemn.9608 said:

to everyone that voted confused...  Are you guys really questioning Solemns credibility when it comes to Ele? This guy has more hours on ele then all of us here combined.

wake up, will ya?

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Sahne.6950 said:

to everyone that voted confused...  Are you guys really questioning Solemns credibility when it comes to Ele? This guy has more hours on ele then all of us here combined.

wake up, will ya?

You know that someone can have more hours on a profession and not be absolutely right about his statements. Different peoples, different experiences, different point of views. In theory, the forum is there to exchange point of views and experiences with different people and sometime even grow as a result.

Maybe, just maybe, Solemns is stuck at a bottleneck in his own opinion and make a claim that another person see as confusing because it does not match his own experience. Which could lead someone to be confused about why he would make a claim that prove to be false in his own experience.

With hours of gameplay, we tend to develop habits (good or bad) and be less flexible in our view of the various professions of the game. Balance patchs and new e-specs help shacke these habits and point of view but often it's not enough.

Let's keep in mind that nobody like being "wrong".

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Legend of Rogue.5394 said:

This had me dying... I was playing in Isle of Janthir server, I call out:

"Any tags or players on?"

Player 1: Don't bother they are all running around as quaggans.

Me: Huh?

Scene: 100 PLUS Golems were at camp and dancing around them are a bunch of players...... Potioned as quaggans worshipping the siege golems. Fair to say Isle of Janthir is the worst server

Which guild?

On 4/19/2022 at 3:43 PM, Dadnir.5038 said:

You know that someone can have more hours on a profession and not be absolutely right about his statements. Different peoples, different experiences, different point of views. In theory, the forum is there to exchange point of views and experiences with different people and sometime even grow as a result.

Maybe, just maybe, Solemns is stuck at a bottleneck in his own opinion and make a claim that another person see as confusing because it does not match his own experience. Which could lead someone to be confused about why he would make a claim that prove to be false in his own experience.

With hours of gameplay, we tend to develop habits (good or bad) and be less flexible in our view of the various professions of the game. Balance patchs and new e-specs help shacke these habits and point of view but often it's not enough.

Let's keep in mind that nobody like being "wrong".

your absolutely right and the explanation is GODTIER.

Tho personally i trust his opinion on Ele topics, as he is one of the best Elementalist i know.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

On 4/14/2022 at 10:55 PM, Shroud.2307 said:

Your options:

1 player can't kill them? Bring another.
2 can't kill them? Bring another.
3 can't kill them? ...
Bring a; Necro, Thief, or Mesmer.
BOON HATE.
Quaggan tonic and flee.

You forgot the time honored classic.

If you can't beat'em...Play the exact same build and draw attention to it until Anet is forced to nerf it into oblivion.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TexZero.7910 said:

If you can't beat'em...Play the exact same build and draw attention to it until Anet is forced to nerf it into oblivion.

I tried playing the boring stealth nade barrage scrapper, made no difference.

Heck someone even has a clip of wiping a Anet dev with it and it made no difference. 🤣

• Haha 1

I enjoy fighting small groups containing support eles/scrappers/FBs because I like seeing my arcDPS strip counter go from 0 to 50 with just a couple skills.

Actually killing them requires focus and picking them one by one while they are low/offguard, but luckily I use my party members as meat shields while I chain corrupts on the boonballs.

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2022 at 3:34 PM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Ever thought about the fact that most people running around in WvW are either a zergling or a new player?

Both dont have builds designed to kill a single person. A good roamer can bully multible zerglings and even kill them because of that fact.

Add a lower skill level of the average zergling + way lower dmg output and boom!

"Unkillable Catalyst"

Was thinking exactly this😅