Worst WvW solo and roaming experience class.

Worst WvW solo and roaming experience class.  

75 members have voted

1. 1. And the winner is....

• Warrior
    • Ranger:
    • Thief:
    • elementalist
    • Revenant
    • Engineer
    • Guardian
    • Necromancer
    • Mesmer

I feel like its hard to say honestly.  All classes have potential to run high sustain builds with how powerful Celestial is right now.. And when I think to my time roaming, its hard to really split from classes that are good vs classes that are popular.

My first thought would be to say Guardian, actually. Both DH and Core are pretty meh at the moment and not really much of a threat in a 1v1 situation. And while Firebrand can be hard to put down, its certainly not impossible unlike other builds.... Willbenders seem like they need a few more tweaks before they can be a real threat. But on the flip side, I see them constantly, so this might just be a lot of bad Guardian players skewing my judgement.

I know a lot of folks will probably say Warrior but I still feel spellbreaker is a strong duelist. Maybe Rev? I remember seeing alot of Revs at the start of EoD but they've kinda fallen out of the roaming scene for me.

Between borderline zero stability,chain pulls over walls constantly and immobilise spam on top of the worst mobility in the game makes necromancer the top candidate for the worst solo experience in WvW.

Adding to it that if you arent the attacker in an objective,you may as well alt+f4 instead of going up to the wall to defend due to how line of sight works hindering the necromancer completely.

The rampant cleansing on large fights adds even further to the horrible experience that is the necromancer due to most ranged options scaling with condition damage and thus you end up not seeing your condition damage tick long enough to justify risking getting into the 1200 range and so much for wells for that matter.

Adding the non scaling (or non existent for the most part) defence mechanisms that cant scale to compensate for the lack of mobility is a pretty much one way ticket to respawn every time you encounter 1+ outside objective walls,especially if its a longbow ranger.

And thus my vote goes to necromancer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Necro as the worst solo roamer? I dunno.... are we gauging classes on a whole like with all their elite specs included? Necromancer may not be top tier, but Core, Reaper and Harbinger all seem like pretty solid options for solo roaming.. which is more than I feel most classes can say right now. It may not be the best but I'm not sure if I'd say Necromancer is the worse. Could use some love though, you're right about that.

EDIT: Reaper could use some love, let me clarify that... Harbinger can be pretty oppressive atm if built correctly... probably needs more than just love to bring it into line.

Edited by fuzzyp.6295

51 minutes ago, fuzzyp.6295 said:

Necro as the worst solo roamer? I dunno.... are we gauging classes on a whole like with all their elite specs included? Necromancer may not be top tier, but Core, Reaper and Harbinger all seem like pretty solid options for solo roaming.. which is more than I feel most classes can say right now. It may not be the best but I'm not sure if I'd say Necromancer is the worse. Could use some love though, you're right about that.

EDIT: Reaper could use some love, let me clarify that... Harbinger can be pretty oppressive atm if built correctly... probably needs more than just love to bring it into line.

Yeah specs included,its always the same deal with necro regardless of what you use.

• Haha 1

Pre-EoD I would have probably voted Necro, with Guardian behind it. With the new specs? Honestly every single spec now has access to strong roaming builds. Cele Harbi is really strong and IMO Willbender makes a really great roamer after the buffs it got. Not really sure how I'd vote on this tbh, which is pretty neat! I'm not a huge multiclasser so it makes it a bit harder for me to gauge. Been playing power Virtuoso exclusively since EoD dropped so it's all from this perspective. 

• Like 1

From best to worst for roaming, something like this.

Obviously I don't think this list is very rigid. It very much depends on the situation, stats used, etc., but in general this is how I would tier each spec for roaming which includes; 1 v 1, small scale (<10 v 10), and outnumbered.

Although Daredevil is pretty limited in build options, I still think it is worthy of being top tier just for the sheer versatility in fights. It may not be the best duelist, but nothing controls the field like a Thief. And in WvW roaming, being able to do that is about the strongest tool you can have.

I understand some people will very strongly disagree with my list, and that's fine. Just please don't be coming at me with the "you're wrong" nonsense, because I don't think there is any way to be right about this either. There are just too many things to consider for a tier list to be objectively correct.

Edited by Shroud.2307
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Shroud.2307 said:

From best to worst for roaming, something like this.

Obviously I don't think this list is very rigid. It very much depends on the situation, stats used, etc., but in general this is how I would tier each spec for roaming which includes; 1 v 1, small scale (<10 v 10), and outnumbered.

Although Daredevil is pretty limited in build options, I still think it is worthy of being top tier just for the sheer versatility in fights. It may not be the best duelist, but nothing controls the field like a Thief. And in WvW roaming, being able to do that is about the strongest tool you can have.

I understand some people will very strongly disagree with my list, and that's fine. Just please don't be coming at me with the "you're wrong" nonsense, because I don't think there is any way to be right about this either. There are just too many things to consider for a tier list to be objectively correct.

your poll is backwards, but i suppose we can just read it from the bottom up

46 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

Freshair Elementalist.

I agree, but there are like 4 of these roaming. The rest are cele and that is not bad for solo roaming by any measure. Though if you dont wanna play cele (a lot of the duelists I know dont want to)... agree again.

When you have access to the Warclaw, every class is on equal grounds when it comes to OOC map travelling. The difference mounted up is in knowing terrain, ping and map awareness, which is all player based.
I would define good roaming classes to be able to a) survive an ambush b) winning 2vs1 fights and c) escaping and resetting fights.
for a) you need high sustain on demand, like invulnerability/barrier/evade and "a second health bar"
for b) you need a current meta poster child class (something that handles boons very well, your own and dealing with enemy boons)
for c) you need to distract enemy players with "visual noise" of your choice, stealth or chain-able mobility skill
As far as it has been voted here, at the time of posting this, I lack the imagination to see Necros in a weak spot when it comes to a) & b)

Bewteen the lack of instant traveling mechanics for warrior (ports, shadowsteps), clunky movement mechanics (rush, bull's charge, sword leap) with very easily interruptible sequences and lack of ranged pressure of any form (should you opt into it you either lose defensive CDs or mobility), I'll give it to warr.

A lack of defensive boons complements the kit, which has stayed more or less the same for years. BsW has no value as a solo roamer contrary to peoples beliefs, it can occassionaly be seen shoutspamming small groups (if they even have a warrior player in the first place).

Outdated skills, unreliable utility skills (banners, half physicals, banners, high CD stances, the baseline worst signets in the game). Can you roam on warrior? Yes. And you can be pretty kitten devastating while doing so. Look super cool too if you outskill spammers. Can warrior roam in this meta? No and yes. You can def do it, but you'll require extra skill to face off against the 50% celestial opponents, a stat you can't capitalize on effectively yourself to enable similar builds like Cele Harbinger, a monstrosity of a roamer between it's mobility and spam. 

So my opinion as a long time, I want to think average + warrior who has tried every single thing on warr (tho I don't enjoy it's condi builds, despite the bunker ability), is to not roam solo on warrior. You'll get punished for it hard. Outnumbered? In open field?? No, better find a camp and try to kite with the guards, you are no Cele Scrapper to kill people with 4 nade skills and run with SS.

I recently (with some past training) rolled Rev. Is it effective? Yes. Shiro provides the kit necessary to make a roamer. Is it overpowered? Aside from that rare instakill Herald player (which is kinda dumb but it's quite high risk gameplay), not much to say really. Power builds are generally melee with the exception of Shortbow renegade capitalizing on a very good weapon. Also, proper stability access and projectile denial are essential in this meta, where rangers go full glass and engage from afar, if not yet another celestial fighter.

Imo from what I have seen in my server, enemies play and ability to remain "meta" I'd say it's something like:

Highest Skill Ceiling Roamer class  (the gap between first and last isn't huge, cause a god tier player should perform well with any class, just thinking what you need more training to fight effectively with)

1. Thief
  2. Rev
  3. Ele/Warrior
  4. Mesmer
  5. Engineer/Guardian
  6. Necro
  7. Ranger

Skill to Reward ratio (ratio'd 🤕) (for the skill required to pull a class off, how rewarding is it in average, not including god level gaming)

1. Necro
  2. Ranger
  3. Guardian
  4. Engineer
  5. Ele
  6. Rev
  7. Warrior
  8. Mesmer
  9. Thief (tho this and mesmer both have access to high stealth in some builds which can be debated as waaay more rewarding despite the skill needed to pull off these rotations, but let's keep it at SD Core Thief and GS Mirage as an example, cause at that point Warrior is indeed the lowest class in this list).

I may be wrong, please let me know what you think is wrong before 🤨, I may have forgotten something. Of course, I can only say that when talking about skill ceiling I only refer to power builds like SD thief, FA Weaver, Strength SpB, Power Herald etc. As, well, Cele stuff isn't rly that much skilled now is it? Compared to a Berserker geared player evading well enough and managing CDs effectively.

Edited by Grand Marshal.4098
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Highest Skill Ceiling Roamer class  (the gap between first and last isn't huge, cause a god tier player should perform well with any class, just thinking what you need more training to fight effectively with)

1. Thief
  2. Rev
  3. Ele/Warrior
  4. Mesmer

I would put ele, mesmer and war on the same tier, kinda agree with the 3rd spot. Though for various reasons.

Ele and mesmer only exist on cele, aside from very high skill players that play power builds. There is definitely high skill ceiling for the power builds. For the cele builds... not really. Ele has a lot of abilities and weaver has to blast a water field for heals, but thats about it. And mesmer is just autoattack.

Warrior... the skill comes mostly from knowing how to approach each matchup. The warrior kit itself is simple (and often ineffective). Knowing what to kite, when to pressure, what to wait for, etc., is the actual skill with war.

Personally I voted war not because I have a bad time with it nowadays, normally I have a decent time roaming on it (some highs, some lows). But because it was painful to get to the decent roaming experience. Literally every half decent roaming build can wreck you on the best war builds, if you don't know how to approach the matchup (or if you make a few mistakes too many). Whereas on ranger I just press buttons and things happen, and I got like 5 hours roaming experience on ranger plus playing it in pve a bit.

Agree with thief and rev being hardest, in that order. Though thief can stealth so I don't think the roaming experience is bad even if the player is not good - they can always just run with stealth. Rev on the other hand cant run at all. If war was not so finicky in its current sad state, I'd vote rev as being the worst one (cause war can at least run when outnumbered).

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1