Is this really a QoL MMO?

People buy expansions and rejoice over the quality of life improvements. Truth is, it's not "real" quality of life.

People say mounts were the best qol ever. Except that PoF maps were artificially stretched out land to make travel less OP.

The quality of life happens when people take the new stuff from the expansions, and apply them to older content.

So ya'll love powercreep. Cool.

And those bag slot expansions? Why do you think this game has so much trash loot? To fill your bags up so you buy bag slots.

Edited by lezbefriends.7516
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 34
  • Sad 1

Its serendipitously a wonderful product that really was too good for this market, so all sorts of improbable things have occurred, starting with survival in the absolutely horrid for mmo launch year.

So the creators made something amazing the market has not quite known what to do with, as the studio is kind of always stumbling upon greatness, kind of thrashing around with this OG amazing game. Hard to follow up really, they can’t add too much.

• Confused 6

Oh no, a game who tries to make money and not run with peace and love. Oh nyooo~

Btw the good thing on QOL-stuff is, it is not necessarily. So you, the customer, have the choice.
And as other said, Mounts are not QOL, mounts are an wunderfull feature of POF(some would say, the only good feature x) )

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

There's a solution for qol in this game, don't buy bag slots bank slots or any of it, and tadepost all items you get for gold. Then when you aspire to craft a legendary or something trade post buy order the mats.

You can survive with 500 slots across all 5 character slots (100 slots each using 20 slot bads) when it comes to legenardiers or ascended crafting if you have 250+ of the ascended mats your good. You got gold.

The only part I hope anet changes in their current monetization is the way they market or lack of marketing loving world as separate products to someone who is freshly buying the game.

I think collection version should of costed more but included lw in it. My friend was pretty upset when he found out that after buying collection he didn't actually own the whole story journal and had to buy them separately with gems.

• Like 5

giving a less tedious way to move around is not what power creep means. if you have reached the content where you get a mount, chances are that you have done your fair share of slogging around with no mount, and you have earned an easier way to move around.

also i have been doing just fine with the limited amount of bag slots. its not like buying more bag slots is mandatory for surviving in the game. you just gotta learn to salvage trash gear you dont need, sell the more valuable gear, store your materials regularly, and drop by vendors to sell junk items. this is like claiming that its unfair that you need to hire a cleaner to keep your house clean.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Mutisija.5017 said:

giving a less tedious way to move around is not what power creep means. if you have reached the content where you get a mount, chances are that you have done your fair share of slogging around with no mount, and you have earned an easier way to move around.

also i have been doing just fine with the limited amount of bag slots. its not like buying more bag slots is mandatory for surviving in the game. you just gotta learn to salvage trash gear you dont need, sell the more valuable gear, store your materials regularly, and drop by vendors to sell junk items. this is like claiming that its unfair that you need to hire a cleaner to keep your house clean.

Back in the day, there weren't stacks of unidentified items, either. Each item took up one bag space. QoL was having unidentified items that stack to 250.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Mutisija.5017 said:

But it wasn't an easier way to move around. You were expected to travel in the longer PoF maps.

• Like 1
  • Confused 15

7 minutes ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

But it wasn't an easier way to move around. You were expected to travel in the longer PoF maps.

The problem here is not that you are wrong but how any of this ties to QoL. 

Legendary gear is QoL because you pay a huge gold price for the convenience to not needing to carry 1000 swords around. 

Endless Harvisting tools are QoL because you pay a huge upfront cost so you don't need to constantly buy new tools. 

Mounts have nothing to do with QoL. 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

So...wait...you're complaining about features, and the game being adjusted so those features actually feel useful?

Imagine if the maps in POF had been as small as, say, Lake Doric. It's still a fairly large zone, of course, but comparatively pretty small. If mounts were added and all the maps were that size, we'd be zooming from one end to the other in no time at all. The game world would feel tiny and cramped.

As for trash loot - I don't know, I consider it a free stream of income. Find a merchant, click 'sell all junk,' boom, done, I get at least a few silver for that. I've never needed more bag slots, and that's with carrying two bags' worth of permanent stuff around. I just make it a habit to click 'sell all junk' whenever I'm at a merchant, so it's rare that my bags actually do get filled. But then again, I'm a very "casual" player and I don't actually need to empty my bags all that often.

• Like 7

It makes sense for the maps that came along with the mounts to utilize the mounts, no? Mounts aren't merely QoL, they're a feature of the game. It wouldve been so boring if the mounts came out and the maps that came with it wasnt designed for the mounts.

QoL is legendary armor not being stronger than ascended and is stat-selectable. QoL is your gear not getting useless when a new expansion or update arrives because it isn't vertical progression. QOL is being able to change traits and specializations on the fly without having to go somewhere or pay a fine.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

They added mounts but also made the maps artificially bigger. So you still spent the same time getting from a to b.

POF maps the way they are, because of Mounts, yes. BUT Mounts was the number 1 selling point of POF and it was logically thinking for everyone that we don't get much Waypoints and stuff, because it was just not important with mounts in the back.
This has nothing to do with QOL. This is game design, so you can have fun, and also use your'e Mounts.

QOL is stuff like Endless Harvest Tools, or as other said Legendary Amor.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Maps are designed with exploration in mind. If you really hate the game and just want to go point A to B, just waypoint.

Adding on Free QoL list:

You can sell to trade post from anywhere anytime and the item instantly gone from your inventory.

You can teleport to WvW/PvP and access bank, etc then travel back to where you are from.

There is no gear treadmill. (Huge QoL)

You can swap trait and specialization with just a few click.

All depends on what other game you compare it to.

Edited by phandaria.4891
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I wouldn't consider mounts to be QOL, personally. More like a gameplay feature that is meant to be enjoyable in and of itself, and then the maps are made to be large enough that they feel enjoyable to use. (Edit to add: I think them being QOL mainly applies to how they relate to past maps where they add to convenience there, which a secondary impact of them, but not the sole reason for implementation.)

I do get your point though, I think. There is a certain degree of mind games that goes on in the design of stuff (which, to be clear, is not something at all exclusive to gw2, just game design in general, there's a lot of mind games going on to make a system work).

Edited by Labjax.2465

Oh, Mortifera...is this the best you can do?  Here's a tip:  Use your Jade Bot to salvage your junk items.  Now, that's QoL!  And please don't tell us ArenaNet introduced junk items at launch so that 10 years later they could create Jade Bots to interact with said junk items.  (But, even if they had done so, it would just be more QoL and not something to complain about.)

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Nightgunner.2896 said:

No, if that were the case, junk items (and unidentified gear) wouldn't stack.

Where the squeeze is, is to make it just enough of a pain to manage that you are tempted to go for stuff like bag slot expansion. But not so much of a pain that you disengage entirely, or so much of a pain that extra bag slots aren't even a solution to a problem.

If it was like you say, it would probably get out of hand to the point extra bag slots aren't even a solution. Like when unidentified gear wasn't a thing and you had to keep enough salvage kits on hand to keep the gear stackup at bay.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

And those bag slot expansions? Why do you think this game has so much trash loot? To fill your bags up so you buy bag slots.

I have not a single bag slot expansion bought. My first 32 slot bag even barely fills up because you have the option to storage and sell you know. 

They also added something in the new expansion that converts junk to currency fyi. 

"wHy Do YoU tHiNk ThIs GaMe HaS sO mUcH tRaSh LoOt?"

Literally every mmo has a ton of trash loot. Thats not only gw2. Aside from that they even added almost no new materials in Eod. And for junk they only added the junk from fishing. 

Yes, anet makes money with these items (only if you buy gems and dont convert Gold to gems, which is also an option). But why is this instantly bad? Them making money keeps this game alive. 

And as I said, you are not even forced to buy gems because you can convert Gold to Gems. 

Edited by SeTect.5918
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, HowlKamui.5120 said:

It makes sense for the maps that came along with the mounts to utilize the mounts, no? Mounts aren't merely QoL, they're a feature of the game. It wouldve been so boring if the mounts came out and the maps that came with it wasnt designed for the mounts.

QoL is legendary armor not being stronger than ascended and is stat-selectable. QoL is your gear not getting useless when a new expansion or update arrives because it isn't vertical progression. QOL is being able to change traits and specializations on the fly without having to go somewhere or pay a fine.

The mounts are useless if the map is made longer for them. Going back to older zones and having mounts... that's what makes them useful.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1