Why are we banking on Steam?

3 minutes ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

We received filler and rehashed story content for a year, and now we're doing that again with LW1.

There's nothing to do in Cantha.

Instead of giving us more content, they are banking on Steam. Why?

Revenue that's why.  Also I think before they do a steam release there must be major changes to the game for new players else the game will be badly received on steam. They only will get 1 shot on steam and the first impression is only what matters, I'm very curious what will happen because atm if it goes live on steam like it is now it has no chance.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

10 minutes ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

There is plenty to do in Cantha. I am currently working on my fourth Aurene legendary, new strike CMs will be released. 
Being able to replay LW1 was requested for years. There will be more content in Cantha.  They provided a road map, maybe you read it first before creating yet another of your nonsensical threads. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9

You do realize that for anyone who wasn't there before 2014, LW1 is new content ? 

Also, it's really bad for the game, Steam or not, to have essential part of your story not available in the game, it can be a deal breaker. 

So it's a good thing LW1 is returning, Steam or not. 

Also, LW6 is already planned and is probably currently in development. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Because Anet is a company, and companies like money. 

New players will bring in more money than existing players. 

New players can be found on Steam (because many people on Steam tend to dislike having to use a seperate client for one game when everything else is in their Steam library). 

So, launching on Steam makes sense. 

New players, more money.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

We received filler and rehashed story content for a year, and now we're doing that again with LW1.

I think "return to..." (season of the dragons) was good move as it gave Anet time to work on EotN and players were given another chance to get all Living World content for free. Next to that, the rewards are very nice....

LW1 was missing as the original LW1 system worked very different from the rest. Now newer players can enjoy that too (with probably some tweaks).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, GODh.3892 said:

I think "return to..." (season of the dragons) was good move as it gave Anet time to work on EotN and players were given another chance to get all Living World content for free. Next to that, the rewards are very nice....

LW1 was missing as the original LW1 system worked very different from the rest. Now newer players can enjoy that too (with probably some tweaks).

Releasing Return to LW1 alongside LW6 would've been the proper move... and making the LW1 releases weekly... but you get what you pay for (sub-free game).

Edited by lezbefriends.7516
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

4 minutes ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Releasing Return to LW1 alongside LW6 would've been the proper move... and making the LW1 releases weekly... but you get what you pay for (sub-free game).

Yea I dont think they have enough man power to do season 1 season 6 and expansion 4 at the same time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Fixing LW1 is a good move regardless of anything else you do. This is pretty much required to sell the game as a coherent whole to new players, regardless of how they get here.

This has nothing to do with Steam in particular. There's nothing special about the platform or its user base (and I think it's very weird that people pretend the Steam audience is anything but normie gamers). The main obstacle to getting a game like this on Steam is simply figuring out how to make your monetization play with Valve's we-get-a-cut-of-everything-you-sell rules.

Which is why they should bundle living world with expansions like everyone is telling them to...

This is a correct take. The game's "ultimate edition" really needs to be complete. In particular, LW S2 needs to be free or everything they're doing with LW S1 is just a waste of time.

Edited by ASP.8093
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Eh, no not really. LW1 alongside with LW6 would've been a bad choice.

1 hour ago, Hashberry.4510 said:

The game is done. The combat system is truly fun and will keep the whole creaky wreck popular but there is nothing left to add. Steam is a smart move at this point.

Not sure if you're trolling but this game is far from "done" and what you mean there is nothing left to add? lmao, thanks for the laugh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Which is why they should bundle living world with expansions like everyone is telling them to...

And by, "everyone," you mean a small fraction of a tiny portion of the player base. The same few people repeating themselves.

And to be clear, I am one of those few. Just because I have suggested it several times does not mean that I and the relative handful of people making that suggestion are some total representation of the playerbase.

As to the orivinal question:

Because bringing in new players means being able to generate more revenue from content that ANet has already paid to produce.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At this point, the Steam users have seen GW2 on steam for more than a year, and have seen : no interaction whatsoever in the forum, no announcements in the news, no moderation anywhere. The GW2 Steam section is a massive cesspool of actual toxicity, nonsense and is filled irrelevant topics. They have Not engaged with the Steam userbase. They did the equivalent of putting up a signboard saying "Soon*" where * reads : We made you squint to read this.

I thought Steam would have been a nice platform but the effort was squandered due to pure disinterest on their side. Unfortunately, that means all the users that have seen the Steam page are now equally disinterested and judging by the discussions very -bitter-.

I dont care about whether or not EoD was good or bad, or whether or not LW1 is good or bad. They messed up their marketing on a massive scale with the abandoned Steam page.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Naxos.2503 said:

At this point, the Steam users have seen GW2 on steam for more than a year, and have seen : no interaction whatsoever in the forum, no announcements in the news, no moderation anywhere. The GW2 Steam section is a massive cesspool of actual toxicity, nonsense and is filled irrelevant topics. They have Not engaged with the Steam userbase. They did the equivalent of putting up a signboard saying "Soon*" where * reads : We made you squint to read this.

I thought Steam would have been a nice platform but the effort was squandered due to pure disinterest on their side. Unfortunately, that means all the users that have seen the Steam page are now equally disinterested and judging by the discussions very -bitter-.

I dont care about whether or not EoD was good or bad, or whether or not LW1 is good or bad. They messed up their marketing on a massive scale with the abandoned Steam page.

Wow I did not know it is that bad..and yes this is a big issue because the first thing new players that are interested will check is the GW2 page and forums on steam...If it is neglected by Arenanet information and moderation wise..it will paint a bad impression for new players...Also marketing wise Anet is doing bare minimum to promote the game that has been obvious for several years, that is a shame...Lets hope they can clean up the mess on steam at least before it is to late.

Edited by venator.8326
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, venator.8326 said:

Wow I did not know it is that bad..and yes this is a big issue because the first thing new players that are interested will check is the GW2 page and forums on steam...If it is neglected by Arenanet information and moderation wise..it will paint a bad impression for new players...Also marketing wise Anet is doing bare minimum to promote the game that has been obvious for several years, what is a shame...Lets hope they can clean up the mess on steam at least before it is to late.

If you go to the Steam page, on the News there are no posts, on the forums, there are no sticky, no rules, no announcements. The discussions have the basic two channels for General discussions (where most people say the game is dead on arrival, make jokes, and cause flame wars) and the empty Trading channel. There has been nothing since the page was set up and people have noticed.

Whatever effect they intended to cause has completely deflated now. A couple of good folks have pointed interested users toward the website but that's about it... The lack of official presence is definitely not inspiring the userbase on Steam.

• Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Naxos.2503 said:

If you go to the Steam page, on the News there are no posts, on the forums, there are no sticky, no rules, no announcements. The discussions have the basic two channels for General discussions (where most people say the game is dead on arrival, make jokes, and cause flame wars) and the empty Trading channel. There has been nothing since the page was set up and people have noticed.

Whatever effect they intended to cause has completely deflated now. A couple of good folks have pointed interested users toward the website but that's about it... The lack of official presence is definitely not inspiring the userbase on Steam.

Yeah I just checked the steam page of GW2 and forums...man it is the wild wild west over there... 

Edited by venator.8326
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Instead of giving us more content, they are banking on Steam. Why?

What’s this ‘we’ nonsense in the title.  Anet isn’t banking on Steam, they are looking to add a new method of selling the game to a captive audience of dedicated gamers. It’s like McDs setting up a shop at the local mall food court. 

The hope for Anet will be that the investment into Steam will have a better return than the cost to do so. It doesn’t actually mean anything to the existing player base except for a few more players in game, spawning a few more map instances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

It doesn’t actually mean anything to the existing player base except for a few more players in game, spawning a few more map instances.

False. It means they're diverting resources to "polish up" the core game instead of using them to deliver actual new content.

Edited by lezbefriends.7516
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5