WvW Queue “Timeout” Changes

• ArenaNet Staff

Hello all, I have a message from Floyd Grubb, Senior Game Designer for WvW:

On Thursday, June 2, as part of our ongoing investigation into the WvW queue bug, we will be changing some numbers on the backend regarding Queue times. Currently, when you reach the end of the queue and the system attempts to move your character to the WvW map, there is a 60 second "timeout" window to allow for transferring and load times. For this week, we are going to increase this value to 90 seconds.

This will allow us to gather more data regarding the queue bug which sometimes causes a player to be reset to the back of the queue after reaching the first spot.

The plan is to increase the value to 120 seconds the following week, provided that no problems arise from this change.

It's possible that these changes result in longer queue times than normal. While that is unlikely, it is a risk and we wanted to keep you informed.

Please let us know if you experience any issues with the queue after June 2.

Thank you,

Floyd Grubb
Sr. Game Designer, WvW

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hello all, I have a message from Floyd Grubb, Senior Game Designer for WvW:

On Thursday, June 2, as part of our ongoing investigation into the WvW queue bug, we will be changing some numbers on the backend regarding Queue times. Currently, when you reach the end of the queue and the system attempts to move your character to the WvW map, there is a 60 second "timeout" window to allow for transferring and load times. For this week, we are going to increase this value to 90 seconds.

This will allow us to gather more data regarding the queue bug which sometimes causes a player to be reset to the back of the queue after reaching the first spot.

The plan is to increase the value to 120 seconds the following week, provided that no problems arise from this change.

It's possible that these changes result in longer queue times than normal. While that is unlikely, it is a risk and we wanted to keep you informed.

Please let us know if you experience any issues with the queue after June 2.

Thank you,

Floyd Grubb
Sr. Game Designer, WvW

This is great.  Is there any chance of getting an "enter" button?  As, I have been que'd on maps before, it says my que position is "ready", but there is no way to enter other than to leave que and re-que, putting me back at the end of the line. 

Edit:  for those confused, if your que pops while you are porting, you will see that you are "ready" for your que position, but there is no way to actually enter the map you were going to.  The only way to get in to the map, is to reque, sometimes putting you back at the end of a very long line. 

Edited by Ubi.4136
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Ubi.4136 said:

This is great.  Is there any chance of getting an "enter" button?  As, I have been que'd on maps before, it says my que position is "ready", but there is no way to enter other than to leave que and re-que, putting me back at the end of the line. 

Edit:  for those confused, if your que pops while you are porting, you will see that you are "ready" for your que position, but there is no way to actually enter the map you were going to.  The only way to get in to the map, is to reque, sometimes putting you back at the end of a very long line. 

you can get the queue popup back via this methode

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pink Ninja Man.4375 said:

Next WvW Alliances Beta When? I loved we were getting them almost once a month but since the expansion release, they have disappeared. I understand a lot has to be done to stabilize the new expansion just wondering when we can get back at it.

They stated in the last blogpost that this queue bug is to be addressed before they continue with the Restructure betas. So once this bug is dealt with, then we will be back on track. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Ubi.4136 said:

... if your que pops while you are porting, you will see that you are "ready" for your que position, but there is no way to actually enter the map you were going to.

I've been told that, in that state, you can walk through a portal for the target zone.  ...I speak of the portals in Lions Arch and in each WvW starting area.

13 hours ago, Sarmach.1547 said:

They stated in the last blogpost that this queue bug is to be addressed before they continue with the Restructure betas. So once this bug is dealt with, then we will be back on track. 

That could be tomorrow, or 100 years from now.  At this point, turn off WvW or sell it off to a more competent developer / studio that will actually put in some meaningful time to the mode.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Whilst you are looking at that could you also look at why when it is reset you often end up in queue where 20 people are on the same queue number. Like if i end up in the bottleneck queue we can be 10 people on number 12 or 30 on number 1 and then it can take forever and a day before you get in and the others on queue number 1 goes in before you..

Maybe this also have some effect on why queue reset is acting as it do.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 10:22 PM, Sarmach.1547 said:

I guess we might still see a Beta before the summer is here based on their spring roadmap or next month, if it is fixed that is.

On 6/1/2022 at 11:54 AM, Leaa.2943 said:

Whilst you are looking at that could you also look at why when it is reset you often end up in queue where 20 people are on the same queue number. Like if i end up in the bottleneck queue we can be 10 people on number 12 or 30 on number 1 and then it can take forever and a day before you get in and the others on queue number 1 goes in before you..

Maybe this also have some effect on why queue reset is acting as it do.

I’m usually only in voice coms with one other person, but we see the same issue.  We both have the same queue position and it stays in sync, but only one of us will get the travel prompt.  It only happens when we queue on reset nights.

Edited by Dagger.2035

as far as I can read and understand it is a bag that we already have currently, let's say that we have been living with it for a long time. so my thought is that we can continue to live with this ''defect'' arenanet will continue to keep it in their focus, but at least we continue on the long and tortuous path of WR betas and then alliances.

just my hypothesis not to block all the work in progress and not waste time.

• Haha 1

Given it's been a bug since forever, and they are using it as an excuse not to further develop wvw, how exactly do you conclude 'this shows they are working on wvw related stuff'.

The more likely explanation is that the bug is affecting something in the pve world and hence needs to be tweaked before some npc stubs a toe whilst telling you it's life story and appears wearing the wrong colour shoe...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1.- The problem is in the reset of each week that the squad is assembled and not all of us enter and the groups remain incomplete. 2.- Similar to the first point, when you are already in MvM and you need to change your profession to complete groups. Will it be possible to avoid the queue for those who are already inside? Opinion: Something can be created so that there is 30 seconds, 1 minute to change characters without waiting in line again as long as they are groups of 5+ people (I speak to benefit clans or small groups). or regardless of whether it is only one that is in a stipulated time. 3.- Can the change between maps be more immediate? 5 of a map queue to change to another, without having to vacate the map that you can jump between them to speed up the jump and waiting time?

1.- El problema está en el reinicio de cada semana que se arma el plantel y no entramos todos y los grupos quedan incompletos. 2.- Similar al primer punto, cuando ya estás en MvM y necesitas cambiar de profesión para completar grupos. ¿Será posible evitar la cola a los que ya están dentro? Opinión: Se puede crear algo para que haya 30 segundos, 1 minuto para cambiar de personaje sin volver a esperar en fila siempre y cuando sean grupos de 5+ personas (hablo en beneficio de clanes o grupos pequeños). o independientemente de que sea solo uno que sea en un tiempo estipulado. 3.-¿El cambio entre mapas puede ser más inmediato? 5 de un mapa en cola para cambiar a otro, sin tener que desocupar el mapa que puedes saltar entre ellos para agilizar el salto y el tiempo de espera?

·         1.- The problem is in the reset of each week that the squad is assembled and not all of us enter and the groups remain incomplete. 2.- Similar to the first point, when you are already in MvM and you need to change your profession to complete groups. Will it be possible to avoid the queue for those who are already inside? Opinion: Something can be created so that there is 30 seconds, 1 minute to change characters without waiting in line again as long as they are groups of 5+ people (I speak to benefit clans or small groups). or regardless of whether it is only one that is in a stipulated time. 3.- Can the change between maps be more immediate? 5 of a map queue to change to another, without having to vacate the map that you can jump between them to speed up the jump and waiting time?

World vs. World Update: June 2022

"On May 31, we announced that we were increasing the length of the WvW queue “timeout” grace period, in which players must accept their invitation to join a map or be removed from the queue."

I'd like to see a grace period for being kicked/dc'ed from the game suddenly. If there is some way to tell from the code that you didn't log off/out vs dc'd that there would be some kind of save your seat for a short while so you don't have to sit in queue for the next 2 hours because of a 10 second interruption. 😠

Edited by Kelly.7019

In the red square on the picture "guild capacity is no longer able to be changed" what does this mean? https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/914fcGuildLeaderCreateAlliance_02.png

that the guild is now capped at the Number of people at the time of alliance creation and you can't add any new people to the guild? or  is the max possible 500 capped- which it is already?

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Sad 1

• ArenaNet Staff

In the red square on the picture "guild capacity is no longer able to be changed" what does this mean? https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/914fcGuildLeaderCreateAlliance_02.png

that the guild is now capped at the Number of people at the time of alliance creation and you can't add any new people to the guild? or  is the max possible 500 capped- which it is already?

The current design for Alliance Capacity has no bearing on how many players may be in a Guild. Rather, it is the limit of number of people from a Guild that may chose that Guild as their WvW Guild.

Example:

I'm in a guild with 250 people. This guild gets invited to an Alliance with a Capacity limit of 50. Within my Guild, only 50 players will be allowed to chose it as their WvW Guild. The current thinking is Guild Leaders will be able to set permissions for their members to control who may and may not fill that Capacity. It'll be up to the individual guild to decide how to manage this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

We've been experiencing all sorts of issues with queues in the SBI-FA-CD matchup this week (at least on SBI).  Getting queues of 10+ on certain maps, but when you join the queue you instantly get in, and on other maps with no queues shown when you try to enter the map you're joining a queue of multiple players.

We trolled the queues on Friday reset on FA, EBG our friends had the outnumbered buff with a 70+ person queue.  This might have had a knock on effect that caused other issues who knows.

Queue doesnt immediately ask the next person in line if someone hits the requeue or cancel buttons for their queue notification, it seems to wait the timeout regardless. 

Since the timeout bug which has been around almost since launch, and was the stated reason why we didn’t get a world restructuring beta in spring like the spring road map noted, has ANY progress been made in the bug?

Because you have ‘World Restructuring Beta’ on the Summer Roadmap.  

Is the queue bug going to be said to be the excuse reason for not having a Summer Beta?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1