Why isn't afk farming being discouraged with diminishing returns?

5 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

Just stand at expensive nodes long enough and you see the botters appear farm and disappear like clockwork.. if players can see these things why can't the developers?

We don't know that they don't see them.  Heck, there have probably been more than enough reports.  I'm guessing that it isn't affecting the bottom line, so they don't care about it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

We don't know that they don't see them.  Heck, there have probably been more than enough reports.  I'm guessing that it isn't affecting the bottom line, so they don't care about it.

So its ok to break the ToS and exploit the game as long as you don't affect Anets bottom line...

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

To clarify it wasn't just a message. I was running around killing spawns & they (thief) were simply killing before I had a chance to tag. Sometimes when farming I'll end up tag teaming with some random but we typically draw in enemies & allow each other to tag. So at first I just thought they were showing off or trolling but then I got "get your bot set up yet" in chat. I replied but was dismissed. Other times it's been more like "nice bot spot" or "afk much" in chat but this last time even trying my hardest I couldn't tag anything & they were following me around. I really don't blame them though because it's frustrating. 

I wasn't worried about being reported because as I said I reported 15 with vid evidence & they are all still there all day everyday. 

I saw a vid on the yt where a player was using his turtle to move bots. He ended up taking several to lions arch & deposited them by the activity. Very entertaining XD

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/14/2022 at 9:28 AM, Dante.1508 said:

Just stand at expensive nodes long enough and you see the botters appear farm and disappear like clockwork.. if players can see these things why can't the developers?

How can you tell the difference between botters and people that have parked alts there just to log through them?

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

How can you tell the difference between botters and people that have parked alts there just to log through them?

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, alphafert.6730 said:

I saw a vid on the yt where a player was using his turtle to move bots. He ended up taking several to lions arch & deposited them by the activity. Very entertaining XD

You can’t change map with a passenger. They will be unmounted. You got trolled. I’ve seen many turtles trying to pick up farmers at istan and no one enters it. It died down when ppl understood it’s not working 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Probably what most people are seeing is people using in-game mechanics to automate farming.  It's still a violation of the rules because automating game plan is not allowed at all.  It baffles me that Anet is so lax about this.  I see this all over the place.  From what I've seen they don't care about DR.  I know there are some places I can go and I know before I get there what auto farmers I'll see.  I report them all the time.  Nothing seems to happen, they are always there.  They are clearly not actively playing.  It makes no sense at all to have an AOE skill on autocast if you're actively playing.  That's an obvious tell.  There's a reason it's always certain classes with certain builds.  There are definitely other clear tells.

Based on what I've read on these forums every report is investigated.  I'm a bit skeptical on that.  The way it supposedly works is a GM will whisper them or sometimes do other things like move them.  If they respond within a ridiculously generous amount of time then nothing happens.

Maybe the best incentive for Anet to do something is that the longer they wait the worse it will get.  By the time it gets bad enough for them to do something it will have a much bigger impact that if they did something sooner.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, costepj.5120 said:

Why would anyone bother sending an in game message berating a suspected bot? Either
(i) it's a real player that receives it, not a bot, so the complaint is invalid; or
(ii) it's really a bot that receives it, so it will be unseen by human eyes!

Idk, but from what I've seen, some people get into hating bots to an unhealthy degree. I can understand not wanting them in the game, I don't really want them in it either, but for that matter, I'm also not sure I really want people owning 200 accounts so they can cash in on login rewards, if we're going for fairness. Hard to be mad at them tho cause you can't see them, I guess is the difference.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Zera Allimatti.2541 said:

AFK farming is allowed, so feel free to use whatever macros/bots/multiclient tools you want. It's totally fine. Just take advantage.

Yeah, last time i played the game some months ago, Iron Marches still had piles of engineer farming ghosts with turrets. The last time before that was a year or two ago and they were there then too, and they were (mostly) the same characters between those two occasions.

Now, if some sweet summer child is going to claim that they're not bots and "you can't know if they're AFK", then explain to me this...inhuman dedication to farming garbage that barely has any value.

So, it's against the ToS, sure, but since nobody is going to take any action to enforce the ToS, it might as well not exist.

Edited by Yggranya.5201
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Or it could just be someone who had parked some alts there, farmed & switched, farmed & switched, etc. I do this after reset but certainly am not a bot. Although my actions could be bot-like, doing the same things over and over again.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

You can’t change map with a passenger. They will be unmounted. You got trolled. I’ve seen many turtles trying to pick up farmers at istan and no one enters it. It died down when ppl understood it’s not working 

Meh, still fun to watch. I'm back to no desire to get the turdle though. 

I saw a few at pagga's wood farm.  I kinda feel like they are providing a mild service there though. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Issue about diminishing returns is how to implement it without punishing the active player, due to the obvious fact that in meta events usually more than 50+ of one type of mob is killed there for, if it happens quickly the player whos playing the meta will have a wtf moment. Secondly Anet mods have a hard time to be honest due to the fact there's many ways to afk in the game without a script which makes it technically TOS legal. Which makes it harder for mods to tell who is  and who isn't. Plus technically speaking you can make a script that goes to a single account does a action and goes to the next falling within the "One action per one account" rule and the mods will be none the wiser and think its a actual player.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

Or it could just be someone who had parked some alts there, farmed & switched, farmed & switched, etc. I do this after reset but certainly am not a bot. Although my actions could be bot-like, doing the same things over and over again.

No its too fast and robot like, people are different to botters.. they appear and disappear in less than second and so many do it, players are at least farm the node accurately and tend to move after logging in.. bots are mechanical.

11 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

If you have seen node botters you'd know the difference. They are nothing like players.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

No its too fast and robot like, people are different to botters.. they appear and disappear in less than second and so many do it, players are at least farm the node accurately and tend to move after logging in.. bots are mechanical

It’s easy to shout botters and assume things. I’ve been called a bot and I know others that has too. If they are there less then a second they cannot harvest the node as it takes seconds to finish. And I believe there is a bug with harvesting that makes you fall below the ground. I’ve been under the map myself to see these “hackers and botters” and all I saw was normal players above the ground harvesting and falling down to the water below the map as they harvest the node. Just cause something looks “mechanical” doesn’t make them a botter. When I harvest nodes on my alts I log in, harvest then log out. As so many other players do. You don’t move 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

No its too fast and robot like, people are different to botters.. they appear and disappear in less than second and so many do it, players are at least farm the node accurately and tend to move after logging in.. bots are mechanical.

If you have seen node botters you'd know the difference. They are nothing like players.

I might be that oblivious.

I’ve got three characters parked at a rich quartz node. I log on, press interact three times, log off. There’s really nothing that would tell people there’s a human doing that.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I might be that oblivious.

I’ve got three characters parked at a rich quartz node. I log on, press interact three times, log off. There’s really nothing that would tell people there’s a human doing that.

They farm them in a second not even three animations..

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Freya.9075 said:

It’s easy to shout botters and assume things. I’ve been called a bot and I know others that has too. If they are there less then a second they cannot harvest the node as it takes seconds to finish. And I believe there is a bug with harvesting that makes you fall below the ground. I’ve been under the map myself to see these “hackers and botters” and all I saw was normal players above the ground harvesting and falling down to the water below the map as they harvest the node. Just cause something looks “mechanical” doesn’t make them a botter. When I harvest nodes on my alts I log in, harvest then log out. As so many other players do. You don’t move 

Yes ok we'll give all the botters a pass they might actually be players..

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

Yes ok we'll give all the botters a pass they might actually be players..

Not saying that. I am for banning the botters. My point is we can’t know who is a bot or not. Claiming someone is a bot is what I react to. All we can do is report and move on as I’ve seen so many ppl shout botters where there are none. Creating issues where they are none 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1