What do you think happened to the Boneskinners after IBS?

Kalavier.1097

I mean, they are a minion/tool of Jormag, or at least taken over by Jormag, but with the icebrood going away (And the boneskinners not being ice based), what do you think happened to them?

Continued being the creepy monsters in the deep woods, kinda like the GW1 Vaettir/nightmares?

18 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

I mean, they are a minion/tool of Jormag, or at least taken over by Jormag, but with the icebrood going away (And the boneskinners not being ice based), what do you think happened to them?

Continued being the creepy monsters in the deep woods, kinda like the GW1 Vaettir/nightmares?

I'd have figured that its canonically dead, not unlike Tea-Kettle, but I'll admit its only a guess.

In general sense, Boneskinners seem to be derived from Wolverine's magic like Aberrations were, but twisted by servitude to Jormag. If the Great Spirits needed rest and recovery after IBS, I can't imagine the Lost Spirits are back to snuff instantly. On top of that, the Spirits of the Wild always had "darker sides" to them, as we see with the rogue Raven Shaman abducting and killing children in Raven's name in Snowden (also mentioned in Wayfarer).

So while the ones we see are "servants" of Jormag, they were only so by proxy of Wolverine serving Jormag. With Jormag gone, but Wolverine still around, I can see the Boneskinners remaining an issue.

The ones we fought being dead, of course, but others could be out there and new ones made eventually.

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I'd have figured that its canonically dead, not unlike Tea-Kettle, but I'll admit its only a guess.

What do you mean by Tea-Kettle? Though we technically knew of 2, with another two in the progress of being made. Not counting those around the shrine of wolverine that is.

2 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

In general sense, Boneskinners seem to be derived from Wolverine's magic like Aberrations were, but twisted by servitude to Jormag. If the Great Spirits needed rest and recovery after IBS, I can't imagine the Lost Spirits are back to snuff instantly. On top of that, the Spirits of the Wild always had "darker sides" to them, as we see with the rogue Raven Shaman abducting and killing children in Raven's name in Snowden (also mentioned in Wayfarer).

So while the ones we see are "servants" of Jormag, they were only so by proxy of Wolverine serving Jormag. With Jormag gone, but Wolverine still around, I can see the Boneskinners remaining an issue.

The ones we fought being dead, of course, but others could be out there and new ones made eventually.

I'm wondering if it's empowered by Wolverine's magic, but holds the roots in the nightmares/Vaettirs that inhabit the shiverpeaks. Because a bit of the Aberrations seemed to fit in that realm, but buffed up by the corrupted magic.

Edited by Kalavier.1097

56 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

What do you mean by Tea-Kettle? Though we technically knew of 2, with another two in the progress of being made. Not counting those around the shrine of wolverine that is.

Tea-Kettle is a common nickname for Tequatl, who's canonically killed in S1 despite the whole open world business.

56 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

I'm wondering if it's empowered by Wolverine's magic, but holds the roots in the nightmares/Vaettirs that inhabit the shiverpeaks. Because a bit of the Aberrations seemed to fit in that realm, but buffed up by the corrupted magic.

Hard to say, since ArenaNet didn't really delve into their lore origins too much. With Aberrations though, it seems to be a case of being created by the Sons of Svanir necromancers exclusively, making them closer to spectral necromancer minions. Nightmares - and by extension Vaettirs - are basically twisted evil souls. The Fallen seem to be closer in line to Nightmares, being the souls of the dead twisted by Ox for Jormag, similar to the Nightmares fought in Hall of Chains being twisted by Dhuum.

Though both Fallen and Aberrations could be comparable to Nightmares/Vaettir, but not "natural" ones.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I think he got killed by the commander.

There are multiple boneskinners lol.

You have the one in the forest (former kodan) You have the Kodan of the hunger achievement (turning into one), the one in the strike mission area, and a vigil soldier implied to be starting on the journey.

Not including the ones around the Wolverine Shrine.

• Like 1

I desperately, desperately hope they still exist.  I cannot put into words how badly.  Because they’re inspired by the wendigo, the most fascinating and more genuinely frightening mythology/urban legend being I’ve ever come across.  The lore around them is so cool and it’s the only monster I think might actually scare me.  In essence I’m saying it’s one of my favorite creatures I would love to see in fantasy. 

The idea that it appeared in this game briefly, was vague and never got much lore or the focus of any story for hardly any time, and will never be seen or used again, is deeply depressing.  It’s such a cool creature and anet has got their own fantastic interpretation, what a colossal waste it would be not to have this gloriously nightmare-inducing thing not feature in future maps and lore.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Fenom.9457 said:

I desperately, desperately hope they still exist.  I cannot put into words how badly.  Because they’re inspired by the wendigo, the most fascinating and more genuinely frightening mythology/urban legend being I’ve ever come across.  The lore around them is so cool and it’s the only monster I think might actually scare me.  In essence I’m saying it’s one of my favorite creatures I would love to see in fantasy. 

The idea that it appeared in this game briefly, was vague and never got much lore or the focus of any story for hardly any time, and will never be seen or used again, is deeply depressing.  It’s such a cool creature and anet has got their own fantastic interpretation, what a colossal waste it would be not to have this gloriously nightmare-inducing thing not feature in future maps and lore.

I was in a kinda boneskinner dive (fanart, official art, etc) after looking at the focus skin (maybe getting the regular version off TP for my necro's harbringer set, cause bones, green gems, etc).

And it caused me to dive into this whole thing because unlike the icebrood, the boneskinner features no ice elements at all. Plus they seem to come from a cursed forest, so the curse may remain and continue to transform people even after Jormag's death.

7 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I believe there is only one. And we slew it for good -- over, and over, and over again. 😄

There's at least 5 we see, one in the woods for that event, one during Drakkar, one in the strike and 2 in the woods leading to Wolverine's shrine. 

Edited by Eekasqueak.7850
  • Confused 1

The strikes are a bit weird because they tend to be "replays", esp. with the Fraenir fight for that strike, so hard to 100% canonically count that one as a separate individual from the forest one.

But otherwise, the two Undying Boneskinners should still be "alive and well" wandering out there. Possibly more not seen on-screen.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

There's at least 5 we see, one in the woods for that event, one during Drakkar, one in the strike and 2 in the woods leading to Wolverine's shrine. 

You also must include Bright Shore (the koden in the hunger quest/achievement) who is turning into a boneskinner for sure. And then there is the random vigil soldier surrounded by corpses in the forest who may be becoming one.

So we have four for sure on low end, 6 possibly in terms of ones we explicitly see.

• Like 2

My guess is like other dragon minions they will continue to linger in the world unless destroyed.

I'm curious about the corrupted spirits though, what will happen to them with Jormag gone.

Perhaps they can retain some form of what they once were but Dragon corruption as we know does change those it corrupts so I doubt the spirits will ever be able to fully revert to their original state.

And I kinda hope they don't to be honest, it'll make them more interesting and unpredictable.

Perhaps they could fall into another category of dark spirits, not evil exactly just dark.. a bit twisted and a little chaotic at times.

Could be a foundation to build another but different cult of bad guy Norn who ally themselves to Dark Spirits and embrace a darker and more chaotic way of life.

8 hours ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Uhm, aren't those all copies of the very same monster?

Hmm, you might be right. Wiki uses the plural: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Champion_Boneskinner

Edited by Ashantara.8731

2 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

You also must include Bright Shore (the koden in the hunger quest/achievement) who is turning into a boneskinner for sure. And then there is the random vigil soldier surrounded by corpses in the forest who may be becoming one.

So we have four for sure on low end, 6 possibly in terms of ones we explicitly see.

Regarding Bright Shore, we stop his transformation, so I wouldn't count him technically as he never actually became a boneskinner (would have been cool as heck to see a kodan or norn model mid-transformation though).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Regarding Bright Shore, we stop his transformation, so I wouldn't count him technically as he never actually became a boneskinner (would have been cool as heck to see a kodan or norn model mid-transformation though).

I'm highly doubtful that his transformation is stopped as a trait of turning into a boneskinner is extreme hunger and canniblism. He ends it with eating meat of a boneskinner, and the boneskinner in the forest was a kodan. And each meal he sounds more hungry/wanting until the boneskinner flank.

Also, in general in Bjora marches during the story period there has people talking about "Just resting" or going to sleep resulting in them turning into minions or dying because of complete lack of care and freezing to death.

Bright Shore talking about just needing to rest and wait is a bit of a red flag to me. Jormag was using "Just rest, sleep." as a means to kill people by exposure to elements.

• Like 1