ArenaNet Studio Update: June 2022

59 minutes ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

"Thief: The Shadow Arts trait line has been updated to provide better support options to synergize with specter, as well as updated options for stealth and defensive gameplay."

I hope this means nerfs to stealth accessibility and uptime - otherwise, do we really need to push every single thief spec into playing what is the most kittenous traitline in existence? As if 99% of thieves in WvW (including specter) aren't already playing SA.

Also can you please already stop treating WvW like a PvE game mode and causing collateral dmg due to PvE updates carrying over for absolutely no reason?

Ultimatively it reads kinda like " we will keep simplfying and dumping down the combat - that one thing that makes gw2 stand out - until every single ultra casual pve noob who can't be bothered to figured out even the most basic game mechanics is somehow able to "compete".

What specter build uses SA? I haven’t run across it and am intrigued.

2 minutes ago, yagiza.5301 said:

Dude, to be honest, I have no idea what you're talking about. Did you read my post? We're talking about GW2. lol.

You can learn how to raid by joining the training groups on LFG. I'm not asking for anyone to make a raid guild? You can literally make your own group on LFG without a raiding guild. The resources are there to learn how to raid, as I said in my post. You keep mentioning how it's "hard," but the point is that it's challenging and REQUIRES effort. Effort to go read a guide, watch a video, or join a training group. If you don't learn by reading a guide or watching a video, obviously joining a training group is your best route to get the experience you need. Like I said, there are plenty of training groups up on LFG for raids. And they're PUGs. I don't think anyone besides you considers proper training groups to be a form of carrying. They're literally training, they don't always get clears.

Where did I say anything like this or imply it? Who said no one wants to teach anyone? Read my post again.

EXP groups are not okay with carrying people who have no idea what they're doing for any time at all. Nor should they have to, as they've explicitly stated EXP. Train in training groups, EXP in EXP groups. Not that hard.

"People who want to complain about raids being inaccessible and toxic aren't making the effort themselves" <- your words.

Ironically being elitist in the very post you say their complaints about elitism aren't legitimate.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

"People who want to complain about raids being inaccessible and toxic aren't making the effort themselves" <- your words.

Ironically being elitist in the very post you say their complaints about elitism aren't legitimate.

Ah, conveniently, you removed the latter half of the sentence, as well as the following one. Hm. How about you respond to all of my other comments? Do you even know what a training group is? I'm commenting on them because I've been in them for the past month straight, failed sometimes to clear in them, and can give accurate feedback.

Resorting to calling me elitist when you don't know what the training environment is like. Nice.

36 minutes ago, yagiza.5301 said:

People who want to complain about raids being inaccessible and toxic aren't making the effort themselves to put together their own group, join a training group, or take time to learn raids themselves. It's not that difficult, but no one in exp groups is going to want to carry people who don't put in any effort themselves. 

Read this part again. Thanks.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, yagiza.5301 said:

Ah, conveniently, you removed the latter half of the sentence, as well as the following one. Hm. How about you respond to all of my other comments? Do you even know what a training group is? I'm commenting on them because I've been in them for the past month straight, failed sometimes to clear in them, and can give accurate feedback.

Resorting to calling me elitist when you don't know what the training environment is like. Nice.

Read this part again. Thanks.

I didn't remove it in my other response to you... I was annotating this time for speed. Good lord. You are being elitist because you're saying that raids are not toxic or inaccessible at all and it's only people not wanting to put in the effort, which is an "I'm better than them" mindset. I'm done responding after this. There is nothing more to say and I don't want to further take over this topic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

What you are missing here is that this is so not how raiding works in games that have progression raiding as their core end-game and those games are the standard for raiding. In those games, it's pretty standard to join a raiding guild, i.e. a guild that tries to progress on raids over time. You learn from showing up and experiencing the fight, as well as from any mechanics explanation that the raid leader(s) will probably do and/or refer people to online.

It's interesting how you're trying to claim "in other games it's standard to join a raiding guild", but at the same time you want to pretend that it somehow can't work the same in gw2, when... we know this is exactly one of the viable paths to get into raids. At this point, I really don't know where you came with that idea from? You can't do that because not everyone wants to teach the content? Not everyone needs to want to do it and that's the same for "the other games" you're talking about in your post.

2 hours ago, RyuDragnier.9476 said:

I'm hoping the Emboldened option will have reduced rewards. And I mean massively reduced, like no gold reward, no higher chance of ascended (meaning lesser chests and loot), and far less raid currency than normal. All in return for no weekly cap on the Emboldened, allowing you to keep doing the fights until you master them. Because otherwise people will use it for easy weekly clears on raids, and that is not something we want.

Maybe also a lock on raid achievements in that mode, outside of possibly a brand new achievement called "Emboldened: (raid wing name)". Perhaps a title for doing them all called, "Emboldened Raider," letting people know you've actually done all the raid bosses in Emboldened mode, so you at least know somewhat what to do.

Agreed, at the very least it should get a similar treatment as the normal EoD SMs did with LI, which is "complete full set of EoD normal SM to get 1 LI". Similarly, here maybe it would be "complete a full weekly emboldened wing to get 1 LI". Otherwise, there's some weird inconsistence between one and the other. EoD CM SMs are raising the encounter difficulty to be among those of the raid wings, which is why they each reward you with LI.  Nerfing raids (by passively increasing player's stats over and over again) and still granting full rewards wouldn't make much sense, nor would it really push people to improve to get better rewards. If it's supposed to be learning environment, let it be learning environment instead of a new free farm.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

What specter build uses SA? I haven’t run across it and am intrigued.

Most specter i run into in WvW are running SA (+Tr/specter obviously) for whatever reason. Usually with d/p and sc/d (occasionally s/d), power (occasionally also cele). Traits tend to be standard stuff. Nothing really fancy. Just a lot of stealth on top of the usual specter tankyness and sustain. As if that's needed ...

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Labjax.2465 said:

I didn't remove it in my other response to you... I was annotating this time for speed. Good lord. You are being elitist because you're saying that raids are not toxic or inaccessible at all and it's only people not wanting to put in the effort, which is an "I'm better than them" mindset. I'm done responding after this. There is nothing more to say and I don't want to further take over this topic.

You left out the part of the quote that didn't fit your narrative, but nice try.

Where in their post did they say they were better than others? They mainly spoke about people not getting their feet wet at all and blaming elitism/toxicity when there are tools to get you jump started. They spoke generally. It's you who is choosing to speak and interpret in absolutes. Have fun with that, try actually joining a raid training group before boohooing.

• Like 7
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

51 minutes ago, yagiza.5301 said:

People who want to complain about raids being inaccessible and toxic aren't making the effort themselves to put together their own group, join a training group, or take time to learn raids themselves.

"For speed," sure. Copy and paste for 1 more second.

Again, I said those who want to complain but aren't doing any of the available options to learn to raid = not putting in the effort. If you don't attempt those options or something similar to learn, I'm not sure what other "effort" you want people to put in then, besides none. Sounds like you just want to complain for the sake of complaining.

• Like 7
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

All in all, it doesn sound good. I'm slightly worried though since Nerfs to overperforming builds aren't mentioned - Mechanist comes to mind.

56 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

What you are missing here is that this is so not how raiding works in games that have progression raiding as their core end-game and those games are the standard for raiding. In those games, it's pretty standard to join a raiding guild, i.e. a guild that tries to progress on raids over time. You learn from showing up and experiencing the fight, as well as from any mechanics explanation that the raid leader(s) will probably do and/or refer people to online. Most people don't have the time, energy, or interest to be a raid leader or start a raid guild themselves and it would be odd to expect them to. Leading a raid is hard enough with a guild of people already there in voice chat, it's harder still with pugs. Learning a raid can only be done part of the way if you don't get the chance to play it (a video will only tell you so much).

So much this. I don't think that those buffs will have a large impact on the raiding community. The main problem of getting into raids is a social one anyway. GW2 is an unsocial game and lacks decent social tools ingame. If Arena Net really wants major changes, this needs to be adressed first and foremost.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

An impressive list of improvements.  Thanks Anet!  My favorites besides the cursor are the bouncy house instance boundaries, finally removing that useless armor damage mechanic, and the concept of an Embolden bonus for raids.

The Embolden bonus is another example of MMO developers looking at systems that encourage players rather than punishing them.  The long tradition of MMOs being designed for masochists has been slowly falling away ever since WoW, and it's good to see it is continuing.

Also tempests being able to provide party alacrity combined with the Strike Mission reward improvements make me think I'll be trying those more often now.  Looking forward to these upcoming changes!  

Edited by DoctorOverlord.8620
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Raizel.8175 said:

All in all, it doesn sound good. I'm slightly worried though since Nerfs to overperforming builds aren't mentioned - Mechanist comes to mind...

As someone who has real world physical limitations on how "gud" I can "git", the mechanist has been a delight for me to play in PVE. I'm getting DPS with it that I've never been able to get anywhere close to with the LI builds I usually play. So I've been dreading this update, afraid that Anet will too severely nerf the mechanist. I can understand if they need to nerf balance it in  WvW and PvP but I hope they don't do too much to cripple my PVE mechanist.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Mil.3562 said:

I have a very important and game breaking question and yet no one has asked it.

Will we get swimwear this update?

Maybe noone asked it because it is not important?

1 hour ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Snip

It's unrealistic to simultaneously want a group of experts at all times, while not wanting to teach anyone. Teaching other players is how you get more people who are experienced. They can't pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Yea people dont have any problem teaching others in squads that are made for that.

Similarly people dont have any problem teaching permanent members to their guilds raid squad either.

Incase you missunderstand this is joining the guild for multiple months and not just a 1 off in the lfg

What guild squads dont want to do is train 1-3 people every time they make their raid clears for the week because they feel entitiled to it.

• Like 6
  • Confused 6

2 hours ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Most specter i run into in WvW are running SA (+Tr/specter obviously) for whatever reason. Usually with d/p and sc/d (occasionally s/d), power (occasionally also cele). Traits tend to be standard stuff. Nothing really fancy. Just a lot of stealth on top of the usual specter tankyness and sustain. As if that's needed ...

Ah, interesting. All the specter builds I’ve run across are Tr and D.A. or CS.

Edited by Gibson.4036

I hope for once the presents for each professions are real. There is no 'But' on follow up news. Otherwise, it would be just another lousy tradeoff, like buffing you 5 -10% on certain skills (mostly useless ones) and nerfing you 70%-80% on useful skills essential for an effective builds. Let's see 🤞

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

The repair change sounds like it's going to cause people to use the repair NPC more often than previously. I very rarely repair currently.

28 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Still need "Hide Other Player Effects" and ability to label your role in party UI since this game has a Holy Trinity now. Disappointed in no mention of it in recent news. Just adding the Echo from FFXIV only for raids?

Cursor becoming more noticable is helpful but the whole reason my cursor is lost forever is I can't hide effects.

Thief: No one uses Rifles, probably see more Engineer with Rifle than Thief. No AoE, overly telegraphed, Rapid Fire Ranger does Deadeye's job better by a 'long shot' ironically.

No one uses Acrobatics.

No group Quickness.

Shadowstep healing feels terrible, Scepter/Pistol Shadowsteps ruins our only Scepter AoE so no one uses it.

300 second traits? O_o

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Confused 3

26 minutes ago, Mil.3562 said:

Learn to read a joke. Or do I have to put a /jk on all of them?

You do since people post that stuff seriously, you can also use /s short for sarcasm.

Or a smiley face would work but yes seriously its hard to read when people are joking.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

15 minutes ago, Crono.4197 said:

Uhm...next Living World Season? Next Season 1 episode? Why is this update mostly related only to elitist content? Seems like lately you guys are focusing only on that.

Did you only read the first bullet point about EoD strike missions and cms then stoped and created this post?

How are mouse cursor visibility, personal story bounderies being reworked to not kick you out, raid easy mode with emboldened buff, repair anvil defensive buff and lastly more boons for everyone only focusing on harder content?

If anything they focus to little on the harder content mate.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

FINALLY at long last i can raid heal as a tempest! thank you no one ever brings tempest because they brought nothing of value ie boons.  The raid changes are awesome hopefully more people will try it out, it really is fun and so worth it. It will def make stepping into raids for beginners easier . I hope at some point in cantha you add a canthan raid wing, there are a lot of people that raid even if it is the first 4 wings the new changes will let them expand further.

Edited by Artemis.8034
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Artemis.8034 said:

FINALLY at long last i can raid heal as a tempest! thank you no one ever brings tempest because they brought nothing of value ie boons.  The raid changes are awesome hopefully more people will try it out, it really is fun and so worth it. It will def make stepping into raids for beginners easier 

Yea a tempest alac heal might be good.

Wonder if not mechanist is better tho.

• Confused 1

Just now, Linken.6345 said:

Yea a tempest alac heal might be good.

Wonder if not mechanist is better tho.

Time will tell i have been playing HAM but i want to take my temp. Everytime i do i get you are swapping to something else right? I miss my ele temp

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

Did you only read the first bullet point about EoD strike missions and cms then stoped and created this post?

How are mouse cursor visibility, personal story bounderies being reworked to not kick you out, raid easy mode with emboldened buff, repair anvil defensive buff and lastly more boons for everyone only focusing on harder content?

If anything they focus to little on the harder content mate.

Mouse cursor - Never had issues but okay

Personal story boundaries - Never had issues, but okay

Raid easy mode - eh I'm not into raids so getting an "easy" mode won't get me to try them.

Repair anvil - Eh okay I guess?

Boons - I didn't have any issue with how characters currently are balanced?

So yeah, I don't see any game content, only balance/quality of life stuff.

• Like 2
  • Confused 9