Plush Griffon Skin

Hello, dear community of Guild Wars 2.

I've never been the type of writing a forum post about something trivial to rant about, but this time, I feel like I have to 'vent' a bit.

Logged in about 30 minutes ago, opened up the gem store to look at skins and behold: plush griffon skin.

Now, I've never been the most 'immersive' type of a player, but the plush skin line is, for my taste, a bit too much. I mean, I'm not the most immersion seeking type, but I do love a little amount of it, some of the skins fit Guild Wars 2 lore very well, while the others not so much. Looking at the Plush Griffon, it honestly feels like a second-hand easy cash grab that was developed by a greedy eastern developer *cough* Gamigo *cough*. Something about that skin rocked my boat to the extent I had to make a forum post about it - I cannot be the only one that feels like it, can I?

Plus the price of 1280 gems (20% off right now) with a regular price of 1600 gems. I can just ignore it, I know it fully well, but something about it grinded my gears. 😞 Maybe the fact I'm expecting more from Anet?  Maybe the fact that I'm desperately hoping they won't turn into a greedy company that will pop out a whole batch of half-assed skins and call it a day? Maybe I truly and wholeheartedly believe that this is not the absolute best what Anet has to offer...

I fully understand that it's such a trivial thing to complain about, but I just had to voice my small opinion about it - Plush skins do not fit into Guild Wars 2 as they feel cheap.

I'm sorry for spamming the forum with a topic like this.

Edited by Kenneth.7536
Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

I'm not sure what specifically you're worried will happen as a result of this, but if it's any reassurance the plush griffon skin was first sold in December 2020, so any changes as a result of that have been happening for a year and a half now, or would have already happened if they were going to. Likewise if you haven't seen them in-game before now it's unlikely you'll see many of them in future either.

(For what it's worth I like it. Yes it's a silly skin, but it's far from the first one GW2 has had. For what it's worth my head canon is that it's a golem, like the mini pets and the plush griffon toys from the Wintersday events.)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Kenneth.7536 said:

I am absolutely unfamiliar with this item and now I feel like an absolute kitten. 

I take it you've not been around for the Wintersday festival in December? The plush griffons, and other magical toys are a big part of the events, especially the festival dungeon.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 3

Just now, Danikat.8537 said:

I'm not sure what specifically you're worried will happen as a result of this, but if it's any reassurance the plush griffon skin was first sold in December 2020, so any changes as a result of that have been happening for a year and a half now, or would have already happened if they were going to. Likewise if you haven't seen them in-game before now it's unlikely you'll see many of them in future either.

(For what it's worth I like it. Yes it's a silly skin, but it's far from the first one GW2 has had. For what it's worth my head canon is that it's a golem, like the mini pets and the plush griffon toys from the Wintersday events.)

That actually reassured quite a bit - I legit thought the Plush Griffon was released lately (absolutely my fault for not taking the time to actually google when was it released) and when I looked at it, it kind of looked like a cash grab.

I can, however, get behind the idea they're Asura golems with camouflage!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Danikat.8537 said:

I take it you've not been around for the Wintersday festival in December? The plush griffons, and other magical toys are a big part of the events, especially the festival dungeon.

That's the most embarrassing part - I haven't missed Wintersday in ages lol, WD is my jam (JP mostly), haven't run around the other festivities or haven't just paid attention to details 😄

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Lol I enjoyed reading the progression of this post.  I love my plush griffon, I hop and flap aimlessly about it during Wintersday.  It's absolutely charming, and it fits in with the festival.   Glad you like the plush raptor!  You're good, I'm sure they ruin summer for someone in game with their plushy wonderfulness.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kenneth.7536 said:

That actually reassured quite a bit - I legit thought the Plush Griffon was released lately (absolutely my fault for not taking the time to actually google when was it released) and when I looked at it, it kind of looked like a cash grab.

I can, however, get behind the idea they're Asura golems with camouflage!

Head canon these things as either Mesmer illusions or holographically projected overlays and you will more readily accept the mount skin variety. 

And yes, the plush skins are cute

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kenneth.7536 said:

Hello, dear community of Guild Wars 2.

I've never been the type of writing a forum post about something trivial to rant about, but this time, I feel like I have to 'vent' a bit.

Logged in about 30 minutes ago, opened up the gem store to look at skins and behold: plush griffon skin.

Now, I've never been the most 'immersive' type of a player, but the plush skin line is, for my taste, a bit too much. I mean, I'm not the most immersion seeking type, but I do love a little amount of it, some of the skins fit Guild Wars 2 lore very well, while the others not so much. Looking at the Plush Griffon, it honestly feels like a second-hand easy cash grab that was developed by a greedy eastern developer *cough* Gamigo *cough*. Something about that skin rocked my boat to the extent I had to make a forum post about it - I cannot be the only one that feels like it, can I?

Plus the price of 1280 gems (20% off right now) with a regular price of 1600 gems. I can just ignore it, I know it fully well, but something about it grinded my gears. 😞 Maybe the fact I'm expecting more from Anet?  Maybe the fact that I'm desperately hoping they won't turn into a greedy company that will pop out a whole batch of half-assed skins and call it a day? Maybe I truly and wholeheartedly believe that this is not the absolute best what Anet has to offer...

I fully understand that it's such a trivial thing to complain about, but I just had to voice my small opinion about it - Plush skins do not fit into Guild Wars 2 as they feel cheap.

I'm sorry for spamming the forum with a topic like this.

Yeah it's just awful to have your immersion broken.
Let me put on my Ascended Aurene T-shirt outfit, jump on my Super Adventure Raptor Mount, equip my shortbow that shoots rainbow unicorns and we can have a long conversation about it while we kill some Choya.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

There was a thread unhappy about the plush mount skins when they first came out, for similar immersion reasons.

The thing is, the stuff bought in the gem store is canonically stuff the Black Lion Trading Company sells in Tyria.  Even the minis.  They may be little devices or golems, or magically animated dolls, but they are part of the game universe.  So if the BLTC wants to sell a cushy mount, it can.

For me personally, my current main rp character is a necromancer and a tailor.  She was riding around on bone and rock constructs, as she wouldn't plausibly have a stable full of living animals, but for the sake of others who find that discomfiting she sewed up a cover to make it cuter.  It may be a little bit of a stretch and rationalization, but it fit her character perfectly to do it, so my immersion remains intact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

Yeah it's just awful to have your immersion broken.
Let me put on my Ascended Aurene T-shirt outfit, jump on my Super Adventure Raptor Mount, equip my shortbow that shoots rainbow unicorns and we can have a long conversation about it while we kill some Choya.

I really over-exaggerated the extent this topic was about 😄 I legit found out that Plush minis exsist in the world and thus, they're absolutely canon, as all other things are. This one is absolutely on me 😄

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

Oh my. I was about to tear apart this first post since I love the plush skins. But I can see how it evolved so this little plushy rider has calmed down 👀 the floof must be protected at any cost! 

And I will definitely refrain myself from making another topic like this ever again, as I'll promise to put more work into checking beforehand whether the things I want to complain about pre-existed in the lore or not, 100% my own fault ❤️

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Donari.5237 said:

There was a thread unhappy about the plush mount skins when they first came out, for similar immersion reasons.

The thing is, the stuff bought in the gem store is canonically stuff the Black Lion Trading Company sells in Tyria.  Even the minis.  They may be little devices or golems, or magically animated dolls, but they are part of the game universe.  So if the BLTC wants to sell a cushy mount, it can.

For me personally, my current main rp character is a necromancer and a tailor.  She was riding around on bone and rock constructs, as she wouldn't plausibly have a stable full of living animals, but for the sake of others who find that discomfiting she sewed up a cover to make it cuter.  It may be a little bit of a stretch and rationalization, but it fit her character perfectly to do it, so my immersion remains intact.

I'm sure there's an NPC somewhere who talks about making mini pets, and says they're all miniature golems. I thought it was one of the guys in the Guild Initiative Headquarters but he just talks about his Mini Braham and having studied sculpture with Eir.

Also I have a similar head canon for my elementalists mounts. They're all designed to look like elementals and my story is that she found real animals to be impractical so she modified the elemental summoning skills to make mount versions. The jackal was tricky because making something out of fire which you can safely ride is easier said than done, she ended up settling for lava contained in a magical shield (it's the Iceflow jackal). It would probably have been easier if she was a mesmer and could just make them look like elementals, but then she'd still have to deal with feeding and cleaning real animals.

• Like 1