Decade enhancement station (and food), add repeatable source of proof of legends/alternate source of the buff or delete please. [Merged]

So there's no way to gain further copies of this enhancement effect as far as we know? Seems very strange to only be able to obtain 2/account (+1/char that reaches 10 years) https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/887866397798047744/1011749854642438325/unknown-241.png

If this is the case, why even create this utility effect? Having consumable effects locked to a certain number of uses/account is one of the strangest decisions I have ever seen in a game. This one could even end up being BiS for some builds in some gamemodes, it being unobtainable past a certain number of uses is therefore very strange, either add more ways to get it or disable it in relevant content (WvW, Raids, Strikes, Fractals)

If there is a way to obtain more of it, please do tell me, but from what I gathered this is the only source of the 3% to all attributes utility enhancement effect. The food is equally problematic in concept, it just happens to compete very unfavorably against +45 to all stats food.

Even just making the achievments repeatable would fix it.

Edited by lodjur.1284
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I was hoping they would be permanent rewards your could reuse like the birthday cake tray. Then each year after your tenth birthday you could unlock a different one. I thought they would be the unique reward for playing this long but being consumable is just plain dumb. Like you said you use it once then you have to wait another year to get to but another one.

• Like 20

43 minutes ago, Dark Red Killian.3946 said:

I was hoping they would be permanent rewards your could reuse like the birthday cake tray.

Pretty much this, I would have expected an item like this to be an Enhancement gizmo to match the Nurishment gizmo from the previous year. It's especially strange seeing a step down like this for the big anniversary. Maybe it being a consumable instead of a gizmo was unintentional? The whole thing does seem kind of strange.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Tails.9372 said:

Pretty much this, I would have expected an item like this to be an Enhancement gizmo to match the Nurishment gizmo from the previous year. It's especially strange seeing a step down like this for the big anniversary. Maybe it being a consumable instead of a gizmo was unintentional? The whole thing does seem kind of strange.

They referred to consumables in the notes so I don't think it is unintentional...just weird.

• Like 5

Just now, DeanBB.4268 said:

Maybe this is a prelude to the permanent one "coming soon?" I dunno, just a thought. You'd think now would be the opportune moment.

I certainly hope so, as of right now i would say this utility creates some pretty huge theoretical fairness issues. In a way that this game has previously avoided.

• Like 2

• lodjur.1284 changed the title to Decade enhancement station (and food), add repeatable source of proof of legends/alternate source of the buff or delete please.

I'm sorry but having this permanent would be too much, entire builds would become dependant on players dropping this food in order to play meta, unlike the birthday cake which is "newbie food" and weaker than both ascended and normal food (Dragon's Revelry Starcake).

The only way this could work is if it was nerfed somewhat to not be best in slot. That said Proof of Legends should be infinite once completed so we can buy more.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

I'm sorry but having this permanent would be too much, entire builds would become dependant on players dropping this food in order to play meta, unlike the birthday cake which is "newbie food" and weaker than both ascended and normal food (Dragon's Revelry Starcake).

If it was permanent it wouldn't really be a problem, at least atm the problem is with it being BiS for a few builds, while being only "semi-obtainable", this makes it an uneven playing field, if it was properly available to everyone, which making it permanent would do, then I personally wouldn't see the issue. Obtaining 1 of these is hardly a difficult task either, I got mine in around 6 hours, but now I can only ever obtain 1 more, which is the problem.

The only way this could work is if it was nerfed somewhat to not be best in slot. That said Proof of Legends should be infinite once completed so we can buy more.

To be clear, it is best in slot only for a few niche builds, it doesn't really need a nerf, just a way to obtain it, or for it to be deleted outright.

Edited by lodjur.1284
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

Ascended food is still better than those so what is even the point? They are stepping over their own feet once again with these rewards.

• Like 4

Sounds like they are more of a currency dump than a long term item. It's typical for them to add more achievements than necessary in order to allow players to choose which ones to do and they added additional consumables so that the one time currency doesn't clutter the player's inventory. Making them reusable, especially if they have BiS potential, would probably do too much damage to the food and utility economy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

Ascended food is still better than those so what is even the point?

Iirc. the point wasn't for it to be the best but for it to be something people are willing to share with others. The cake being a gizmo instead of a consumable is suppoed to encourage people to at least give out the cake if no one else bothered to bring anything better which is exactly what usually happens.

The enhancement station being a consumable (and one with extremely limited supply on top of it) on the other hand makes it more of a "collectable" than something you would want to "share with the community".

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Tails.9372 said:

Iirc. the point wasn't for it to be the best but for it to be something people are willing to share with others. The cake being a gizmo instead of a consumable is suppoed to encourage people to at least give out the cake if no one else bothered to bring anything better which is exactly what usually happens.

The enhancement station being a consumable (and one with extremely limited supply on top of it) on the other hand makes it more of a "collectable" than something you would want to "share with the community".

We should have gotten the sharable utility station this year in case no-one brought utility items, imo.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

If you want the utilities to be deleted from the game... just use them, problem solved XD

but more seriously, they wanted to include all game modes into the acheivement, that means adding a couple of extra objectives for PvP and WvW, which means some excess proofs that would otherwise just sit in someones bank for the next 10 years, either buy them or not, the buffs themselves aren't anything special, they're basically Guild Heroes banners.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Parasite.5389 said:

If you want the utilities to be deleted from the game... just use them, problem solved XD

but more seriously, they wanted to include all game modes into the acheivement, that means adding a couple of extra objectives for PvP and WvW, which means some excess proofs that would otherwise just sit in someones bank for the next 10 years, either buy them or not, the buffs themselves aren't anything special, they're basically Guild Heroes banners.

The problem is that others can use them. These people could then be at an advantage compared to me when running certain builds. This means that in theory, if I lose a fight to someone in WvW using these, I could not recreate that build myself, the person I just fought would be using a build that is impossible for me to access, they're not playing by the same rules. The same is applicable to records/firsts in PvE etc. 

If I see someone do something, then the only thing stopping me from doing the same thing should be my willingness to farm up the very same gear, and my dedication/skill to learning those same skills. Essentially undermining the fairness of the game.

There's plenty of stuff they could've done with the leftover ones, a unique utility enhancement that works in combat is very far from an obvious choice. The hero banner one can buy is for example completely fine, as it's not a combat boost, but a simple booster, like anything else. 

This specific utility is a problem (the food is one as well, but it being almost entirely strictly worse than normal +45 ascended food mitigates that by quite a lot), mathwise there are definitively builds for which the utility one represents anywhere between a small and a sizeable upgrade.

Edited by lodjur.1284
  • Confused 1