Twitch drops showed our play base

and the drops need to stay for good. If you think this influx of twitch views is bc the steam release youre kidding yourself. 20k+ concurrent viewers isnt bc of 3k new players that for sure. Even if its 10k new players, these numbers wouldnt make sense. Clearly our player base came out in hordes for the drops. This is such a good look for gw2. Hopefully Anet sees this and continues with the drops. 

Edit: You guys do realize twitch has 30 MILLION active users a day right? The fact that people don't think that being on the top of twitch browser is good for gw2 is beyond me. Also, I've realized a lot of people are just selfish. "I don't like twitch so it shouldn't happen"...Please listen to yourself and reflect. This is not about you or me. 

Edited by Beast Sos.1457
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

Does it really mean anything if people are only there for the freebies?

I understand the appeal of Twitch drops for streamers because it's an easy way to artificially boost "viewer" numbers (and presumably easier to manage than a genuine boost in viewers because people running it on a screen they're not watching won't be in chat) and I assume that leads to a boost in advertising revenue as well.

But is it really good for the game? If it's just existing players farming free items it's not going to get genuine new viewers or attract new audiences, so what does it actually achieve?

(I have no objection to advertisers wasting their money because they rely on algorithms to tell them where to spend it, but if that's all it's achieving I can't see the benefit for Anet.)

• Like 12
  • Confused 4

First time I’ve ever watched Twitch as well. Had it on while I worked yesterday and it was entertaining. Got to finish the day doing Kaineng meta with a bunch of friendly people and sang happy birthday to Muk while we waited for the door to open to the final boss.

I expect I’ll be using Twitch in the future.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Does it really mean anything if people are only there for the freebies?

I understand the appeal of Twitch drops for streamers because it's an easy way to artificially boost "viewer" numbers (and presumably easier to manage than a genuine boost in viewers because people running it on a screen they're not watching won't be in chat) and I assume that leads to a boost in advertising revenue as well.

But is it really good for the game? If it's just existing players farming free items it's not going to get genuine new viewers or attract new audiences, so what does it actually achieve?

(I have no objection to advertisers wasting their money because they rely on algorithms to tell them where to spend it, but if that's all it's achieving I can't see the benefit for Anet.)

How can attracting so many new eyes on the game not be beneficial. Thousands of new eyes are seeing the Gw2 channel on the top 2 rows of twitch. The marketing just from being up there is massive. 

It takes money to make money.

Edited by Beast Sos.1457
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I personally dislike Twitch and the only reason I am currently "watching" (it's running in my browser on mute) any GW2 streams are the drops. If the drops were to stay they'd need to be of similar quality as the ones right now as I am not going to open a GW2 stream just to get a repair canister or a revive orb.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I mean hey it might actually be free advertising for player growth. Artificial or not. players could be silently just seeing the advertising and going to gw2's official launcher. In terms of near free advertising sources.

Twitch is near one of the easiest and muted tabbed or not, people were still massively engaging with Muk to the point that at one point of time he was singlehandedly 33k viewers and got gw2 to peak over wow for a few moments. 

Talking with other mmorpg players, it seems like gw2 has always been a lower active pop by mmorpg population. Even with login bots it may be 1/20th the registered accounts of some game so expecting 200% the steam downloads as a 20-139k new mmorpg might have been.

Plus gw2 is known for not being a 24/7 grind mmorpg and after ascended you could just log in 5 minutes a day and be fine. Ff14 and WoW just dropped a major content expac ff14 players waited for and WoW a suspiciously timed free xpac+level boost usually sold for 60$ hours before the steam launch. It could be possible people are binging sub mmorpgs to get the most time out of them and coming to gw2 later(?)

. But there were many people from the twitch chat saying it was their first time seeing a gw2/raid/fractal/strike. It's almost the freeist advertising you can get. I think it could easily be a economically wise free player growth/advertising strategy. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, MajinSoul.4512 said:

I personally dislike Twitch and the only reason I am currently "watching" (it's running in my browser on mute) any GW2 streams are the drops. If the drops were to stay they'd need to be of similar quality as the ones right now as I am not going to open a GW2 stream just to get a repair canister or a revive orb.

I agree. The loot has to be worth it. What do you think would be worth it for you? I'm thinking maybe tomes of knowledge or boosters just bc I don't see them having any noticeable impact to the in game economy. 

• Confused 2

Can someone explain to me what to do regarding these drops? i do not have a twitch account, do the drops accrue over time? is there a deadline to get particular drops? ( i want one of the outfits someone mentioned on reddit) can i get all the previous drops since Tuesday if i keep streaming? Thanks

3 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

I agree. The loot has to be worth it. What do you think would be worth it for you? I'm thinking maybe tomes of knowledge or boosters just bc I don't see them having any noticeable impact to the in game economy. 

I'd go for boosters and tomes of knowledge. Black Lion keys would be cute but I wouldn't count on it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sunchaser.9854 said:

Ff14 and WoW just dropped a major content expac ff14 players waited for and WoW a suspiciously timed free xpac+level boost usually sold for 60$ hours before the steam launch. It could be possible people are binging sub mmorpgs to get the most time out of them and coming to gw2 later(?)

. But there were many people from the twitch chat saying it was their first time seeing a gw2/raid/fractal/strike. It's almost the freeist advertising you can get. I think it could easily be a economically wise free player growth/advertising strategy. 

So WoW is offering free stuff, ESO is having a large sale, FF14 is just always a good deal but GW2 is charging 0% discount bundles for $100 for new players on their anniversary.

Doesn't surprise me to see GW 2 doing poorly in terms of marketing and advertising when other games are offering better deals on your anniversary.

If not now, not on a hyped up Steam release, new content in game, 10 year anniversary.. then when is there going to be a sale?

Not playing into the current hype surrounding the game and people talking about it is embarrassing.. only going to be a few days before people have their twitch drops and stop engaging with Twitch and the numbers drop back to their low levels, engagement on Steam also dies down once people have voiced their frustrations with the pricing and other aspects of the game, and it's all back to where we were with a few thousand people to show from it at best to show from it.. a few thousand people gained from a massive platform like Steam with 20 million people around at any given time.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I didnt, and I know im not alone, there are still a lot of players that dont link their accounts to twitch. So you cant really base anything on that. But im also one of those people that dont do twitter and insta and w/e social media is the flavor of the month

Edited by Tiviana.2650
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Whirlygig.9685 said:

Can someone explain to me what to do regarding these drops? i do not have a twitch account, do the drops accrue over time? is there a deadline to get particular drops? ( i want one of the outfits someone mentioned on reddit) can i get all the previous drops since Tuesday if i keep streaming? Thanks

You need to have a twitch account and link it to your gw2 (not sure how to do it since I havent myself) then just watch a gw2 streamer for a certain amount of time for each tier. I think you're good as long as you have the watch time by the end of the drop event. Might have to claim each tier after it unlocks but im not positive about that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Miragen.6127 said:

So WoW is offering free stuff, ESO is having a large sale, FF14 is just always a good deal but GW2 is charging 0% discount bundles for $100 for new players on their anniversary.

Doesn't surprise me to see GW 2 doing poorly in terms of marketing and advertising when other games are offering better deals on your anniversary.

If not now, not on a hyped up Steam release, new content in game, 10 year anniversary.. then when is there going to be a sale?

Not playing into the current hype surrounding the game and people talking about it is embarrassing.. only going to be a few days before people have their twitch drops and stop engaging with Twitch and the numbers drop back to their low levels, engagement on Steam also dies down once people have voiced their frustrations with the pricing and other aspects of the game, and it's all back to where we were with a few thousand people to show from it at best to show from it.. a few thousand people gained from a massive platform like Steam with 20 million people around at any given time.

Yeah the price point would be a big turn off to me as a new player not knowing much about the game. There definitely should have been a discount for at least the first week or so. Anet seems a bit short sighted when it comes to business decisions. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Tiviana.2650 said:

I didnt, and I know im not alone, there are still a lot of players that dont link their accounts to twitch. So you cant really base anything on that. But im also one of those people that dont do twitter and insta and w/e social media is the flavor of the month

So where do you think the viewers came from? Logically speaking, they weren't people downloading the game on steam since we can see those numbers, which is a fraction of the viewer base we had these couple days. The viewer count was drastically increasing before anyone was on the front page. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

You need to have a twitch account and link it to your gw2 (not sure how to do it since I havent myself) then just watch a gw2 streamer for a certain amount of time for each tier. I think you're good as long as you have the watch time by the end of the drop event. Might have to claim each tier after it unlocks but im not positive about that

Thanks, I think i am now set up. Its telling me in twitch i need to claim gifts from the 'inventory' can someone clarify do i collect twitch drops from Twitch or in GW2 account/game?

6 minutes ago, brokenrabbit.6538 said:

What are these drops everyone is referring to? I don't watch twitch for the same reason I don't watch sports: watching other people play games is boring.

You link your GW2 account to Twitch, and at various time intervals things are mailed to you in game.

1/2 hour - 2 heroic boosters

1/2 hour - Revive orb

1 hour - Baby Mount Mini (choice among 4)

2 hours - 10 Transmutation charges

2 hours - Glowing purple mask

2 hours - Total makeover kit

2 hours - A selection of outfits

You have to click accept on the one you've gotten before it'll start counting time to the next one. That's the extent of interaction. You can turn it on and go afk otherwise.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

Hopefully Anet sees this and continues with the drops. 

Ugh. Another 10+ hours of watching boring streams (or rather having them running in the background, eating up resources) is not my idea of fun entertainment. I'd rather they provide us with additional goodies in-game.

Edit: I wouldn't mind Twitch drops during ANet's official streams, which are informative and/or teasers and therefore a lot more fun to watch.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3