Twitch drops showed our play base

4 minutes ago, brokenrabbit.6538 said:

Anything unique or is it just like the junk I get from the BLC login chests?

https://www.twitch.tv/drops/campaigns --> Guild Wars 2

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Ugh. Another 10+ hours of watching boring streams (or rather having them running in the background, eating up resources) is not my idea of fun entertainment. I'd rather they provide us with additional goodies in-game.

Edit: I wouldn't mind Twitch drops during ANet's official streams, which are informative and/or teasers and therefore a lot more fun to watch.

You don't have to watch. This is good for the game. I'm not going to sit there and watch them all day either but its good for the game so I want it done. It's not about me. It's not about you. You don't find anything wrong with that you said in the edit? Because its not your type of entertainment, you'd rather it not be in. But what about the other thousands of people that enjoy it? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

I must admit, aside from some brief sessions watching a Division Streamer back when I played that, this was the first time I'd interacted with Twitch, and I may just stick around. It's cool to have on in the background while I play GW2.

And this is why they do twitch drops. People are wondering if numbers will drop when twitch drops stop and it's true, it's true, they probably have topped. But for those it exposed to fun and to joy, they'll come back for the streamers, they have found a new toy.

(I did not intend to make this a corny rhyme lol, it started coming out that way, so I leaned into it.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Ugh. Another 10+ hours of watching boring streams (or rather having them running in the background, eating up resources) is not my idea of fun entertainment. I'd rather they provide us with additional goodies in-game.

Edit: I wouldn't mind Twitch drops during ANet's official streams, which are informative and/or teasers and therefore a lot more fun to watch.

You can just run it in a separate tab on the browser with the tab muted or the volume cranked most of the way down (don't mute the stream itself). That's how I got the drops because yeah 10 hours, even if broken up over time, is a lot of twitch for me too. I usually watch these creators on Youtube.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RadiantWolf.2058 said:

You can just run it in a separate tab on the browser with the tab muted or the volume cranked most of the way down

I know. That wasn't my point, though. My point was that I would rather have a fun way of receiving such goodies than that, and I gave examples, namely during official livestreams from ANet themselves or for doing stuff in-game (instead of boring, pointless streams, which 95% of these anniversary streams are; only a few had any value, but mostly to new players).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

21 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

and the drops need to stay for good. If you think this influx of twitch views is bc the steam release youre kidding yourself. 20k+ concurrent viewers isnt bc of 3k new players that for sure. Even if its 10k new players, these numbers wouldnt make sense. Clearly our player base came out in hordes for the drops. This is such a good look for gw2. Hopefully Anet sees this and continues with the drops. 

twitch mean nothing for player number

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Personally I don't care about Twitch. Never really used it. Not even without account. Found that I had an only account and linked it. Now letting a stream opened while I do other stuff - the rewards are nice. And sure it is a nice way for ArenaNet to get the streamers to stream GW2 (cause they then will get more viewers because of the rewards). Easy system - better than having them make a contract manually and paying money or stuff.

I can see why it seems nice cause of the community thing: The chat and people active there. But still ... I'd rather play the game myself. Using it only for the rewards now. Mainly interested in the exclusive stuff. The mask (did not get this before) and the last step (outfit) here. The minis seem to be cheap on the trading post and the other stuff I already hoard a lot - but can't hurt to even get more.

The account linking is convenient - no code needed or stuff like that. And it might get some new players interested. People like free things. They might even try the game just to add their free stuff - then trying to play it a bit.

I first had hesitated. But it is just tooo eays with the linking. The hours fortunately are total hours (the ones mentioned at the website) ... the next step only needs the difference. I guess with automatically unlocking (so you could just afk 10 hours leaving a stream open) ... it would have been too easy though. But I can manage to gather them every 2 hours to unlock the progress bar for the next one.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Liisjak.4509 said:

WoW is giving Shadowlands (latest exp.) and a lvl 50 boost for free while we're doing what? Discovering twitch drops.

Wow is garbage game compared to gw2 lol. and blizzard is a has been company. instead of looking at player's feedback theyre counting there money lol . diablo immortal shows why anet is now better company than blizzard

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rendalmj.3152 said:

Wow is garbage game compared to gw2 lol. and blizzard is a has been company. instead of looking at player's feedback theyre counting there money lol . diablo immortal shows why anet is now better company than blizzard

That is a horrible mentality to have, just sit there on your hands and proclaim you're the best and thus don't need to do anything in order to draw in players..  yeah that's definitely a healthy approach.

New players are going to look at what is on offer and play WoW because they get free stuff, they play ESO because there's a large sale, they play FF14 because it's way cheaper and way better marketing, even New world probably draws in more new players.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

And when a greed and stockholder driven game gives out 60$ retail valued worth of expansions and level boost for free shadowlands minus the 15$/month sub bait, that technically includes all past content for free, sub is used theoretically for development with at least 7-20 new dungeons per 2-3 years, a new expansion on the line adding absorbed flight hoping to siphon gw2 mount players, as well as even giving the Griffon flight abilities to the dragon race dracthyr evokers. 

And the wonderful charity of gw2 now has to compete with 100$ of gw2 for a complete collection vs 105$ to play wow 3 months becoming 15$-42$.. That makes it a really bad spot. Blizzard isn't lowering their prices to be q charity but technically you can get near 200 spots in that game. Haircut without 5$ fees, tmog to your hearts end without cashshop or transmutation charge limits, unlock mount skins, have new dungeons ever year to raid and do mythic+.

But then eventually run into issues post honeymoon in both games like Wow deliberately leaving 100s of wow servers dead instead of merging to sell transfers, or gw2 still having unbreakable 30$ gem store volatile tools with higher profit, very limited free mount skins vs 100-1000s of wow (to the point mount collecting 1000s for toys is A thing), smooth 60-120 fps vs heating 30-60 even on 16 gb ram (no cpu bottlenecks). 

Wow isn't offering those discounts because it suddenly feels like being a charity. Its to get people to go "Wow! WoWs free. And only 15$ to start with free mounts. Free past content and frequent dungeon updates and raids and comes bundled with wow classic. But you're saying gw2 usually goes on sale and hasn't yet? Hmm. Wow already made shadow lands free, I might as well play that etc over 100$ to play a 3k steam game"

The twitch exposure does some good stuff. It lets people know the content exists but even for the 100 fractals it seems like maps are frequently re used with the same jumping puzzles and zones, just with different mob combinations. Wow isn't trying to be a charity. Its baiting people with a cheaper upfront cost and hype of a new expansion when it's freshest since it wants to make more money over time. Greed driven or not, how do you sell a 7x more expensive to start product that has gone on sale, but hasn't to a new player getting wow for free? Wow is trying to run gw2 out of business by offering a impossible deal.. FREE tm expac with 15$ sub. Vs 100$ buy in.

But if players only buy 15-30$ eod/pof. They can't buy the ls collection on steam making it heavily feel like a 100$ buyin for a game they don't even know.

New players might generously perceive gw2 as "dead/dying" as 3k steam players, 10 years old, and if we want to retain our players, it might be a major time to reconsider the new player options. Would it hurt to slash gw2's steam prices to a 50% off pof sale to get people in, and buy to complete model. Perhaps a return to living world where all living seasons could be unlocked each week, or each 1-2 weeks, there could be a rotated free episode on cycle. Using the model for rewarding player retention or pay to have it now model, etc?

Last I saw, living worlds used to go for free and return, even if single chapters at a time. I've been watching forever and I haven't seen any ls2-3 or Iceblood go free, ever these last few months. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Rendalmj.3152 said:

Who are you to say that it's garbage? As far as the gaming industry is concerned it has a healthy population - very likely 10 times that of GW2, continous content release and good marketing.  While it's not my cup of tea I can't deny those things.

And with the giveaway it's kitten sure to reel in more people than GW2 with it's meagre 10 year anniversary full price launch.

The HoT+PoF and full collection should have been heavily discounted on Steam for the first week, it's very hard to convince players to invest money in your game while your reputation is non existent. I honestly expected a full week of sales on a daily rotation to celebrate the 10th anniversary.

While it might be a great game, nobody knows about it and the ones that do consider it as a meme...because the marketing is beyond terrible.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

i've been playing since day one.

i just put twitch on a secondary screen and forgot it there . sadly i had to check for every single notification or the next gift would have not stated its counter. 

i did not care before

i do not care now.

i am on twitch just for the outfit (the rest is pointless to me and the other veterans).

those numbers mean nothing. most of the people watching are not there to stay

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/24/2022 at 1:30 PM, Liisjak.4509 said:

WoW is giving Shadowlands (latest exp.) and a lvl 50 boost for free while we're doing what? Discovering twitch drops.

some time ago you could claim all living season packs over the time, i got them all on this account. but i don't have the expansions.

and yes but you have to pay a sunscription to able to play (and yes you can only log in with lvl 1 for a virtual subscription) 
if blizzard give away an xpack and earns a sunscription fee for a year then they made a good deal. and you have to claim it before 5 september 2022 or it's gone, so then you also have to buy atleast 1 subscription for 27 euro (this was the price when i played last time before 2015) and i had read sometime that blizzard changed the price of expansions. you get them all for free and only have to buy the lastest (current) expansion, i don't know when new xpack release but that is mostly in september if i remember correctly. so it looks like a gift. but within a few weeks when dragonflight released then shadowlands is free for sure. i don't know the lvling system. 
but if you need 4 weeks to reach max lvl in shadowlands then it's not much different as when dragonflight release in those weeks. 
(and this is for new players that doesn't know how to lvl faster and want to explore most things themself)

same when anet gives ppl with base game a mount skin. 
i claimed both gifts in battlenet app but i know i am not starting wow ever again. 

1 hour ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

When Gw2 is at the top of the twitch browse page, that itself is marketing. Twitch has 30 million active daily users. 30 MILLION. You're telling me that being on the top of the browse list does nothing?

Steam has 25 million active daily users.. can't say it did nothing but it also didn't do a lot, and these are 25 million people that play games, not 30 million people that watch streams whilst at work or whatever, many of them not watching games in the first place, let alone play them.. so the actual target demographic is going to be a lot smaller than Steam realistically.

Edited by Miragen.6127
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Miragen.6127 said:

Steam has 25 million active daily users.. can't say it did nothing but it also didn't do a lot, and these are 25 million people that play games, not 30 million people that watch streams whilst at work or whatever, many of them not watching games in the first place, let alone play them.. so the actual target demographic is going to be a lot smaller than Steam realistically.

Steam also didn't have gw2 anywhere to be seen. You had to type it in the search to find it. It's about the exposure. When millions of people are seeing the gw2 category, the chances/number of people being attracted to it increases. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

Steam also didn't have gw2 anywhere to be seen. You had to type it in the search to find it. It's about the exposure. When millions of people are seeing the gw2 category, the chances/number of people being attracted to it increases. 

Until they see the $100 price tag and the outcome remains the same.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Miragen.6127 said:

Until they see the $100 price tag and the outcome remains the same.

But they don’t have to pay it at the beginning to play right? They can start the core game for free and if they like it, they can buy the expansions. And there are no monthly fees. 100$ or 100€ is not really a big deal. Everyone with a decent job can easily afford that. Most people are willing to invest money in their hobby. 

Edited by yoni.7015

2 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

But they don’t have to pay it at the beginning to play right? They can start the core game for free and if they like it, they can buy the expansions. And there are no monthly fees. 100$ or 100€ is not really a big deal. Everyone with a decent job can easily afford that. Most people are willing to invest money in their hobby. 

You know what people can also afford with a $100? Every other competitor out there who offers a better new player experience and does a better job at marketing.

• Confused 2