Decade of the Dragons achievement

Alik.9651

2 hours ago, pallas.8150 said:

Actually, the majority of people here are disputing your (rather thin) arguments. I (and numerous others) have explained why you are wrong at length.

So, to reiterate: THIS WAS NOT A PVE EXCLUSIVE EVENT.  IT WAS A 'GUILD WARS 2 GAME' EVENT - WHICH INCLUDES MULTIPLE GAME MODES. 

Please tell me that you are not really this obtuse.

I guess I could have missed it, but I'm pretty sure no one in here ever said this was a PvE exclusive event. What I have seen is stuff along the lines of "I would rather have been able to do this in the game mode I prefer."

Which could have been possible by making enough achievements for multiple modes that you could do it only in one, or a combination of multiple, if you prefer.

GW2 thought of as more of a sandbox game + giving people options. Seems like a sensible fit to me.

• Like 4
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

I guess I could have missed it, but I'm pretty sure no one in here ever said this was a PvE exclusive event. What I have seen is stuff along the lines of "I would rather have been able to do this in the game mode I prefer."

Which could have been possible by making enough achievements for multiple modes that you could do it only in one, or a combination of multiple, if you prefer.

GW2 thought of as more of a sandbox game + giving people options. Seems like a sensible fit to me.

It already has been answered many times that the clear goal of the celebration is for people to go through broader content the game delivered for the past 10 years instead of just farming one thing on repeat to passively get another reward. In case that's also something you've missed, here's another example, this time from anet:

When you log in on August 23, you’ll find a new series of achievements waiting for you that will take you on a journey to experience the best of Guild Wars 2: world bosses, Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons, Living World, World vs. World, Player vs. Player, and more. As you complete these tasks, you’ll earn Proofs of Legend, which can be traded in for the new Decade armor set.

Maybe despite what you said (because "it's just an armor skin"), the event did deserve the mention a week earlier, so you could better understand what this event is. In the end though, it's just a cape skin, so either participate in the event to get it or don't and you'll still be able to play whatever you want just like you did before.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/29/2022 at 8:02 PM, Felipe.1807 said:

Yes, locking skins on game which whole deal is Fashion Wars under one single game mode, aka Raids, and not doing  a equal counterpart for sPvP and WvW is equal to "Doing 10 sPvP matches is to much"....you guys are so disengenous its actually insufferable, this is pointless regardless, the achievements hopefully are here to stay and can only hope the next ones actually require more cross modes achievements to finish.

This game has the people playing it that it does because it doesn't restrict you to doing one specific type of content at the expense of everything else. If you want to raid and do that kind of content, you can. If you want to do PvP, you can. If you want to do just casual PvE open-world style content, you can do that.    

Everyone is on the same level when it comes to gear. Everyone can achieve mastery levels enough to finish off an expansion without being forced to do content that they aren't comfortable with (with the exception of End of Dragons now, since you're forced to do a Strike to get the turtle).  The game is what it is because it doesn't force you into being a raider or else like WoW does, or force you into PvP like Black Desert, or force you into dungeons like FFXIV. GW2's biggest strength has always been that it allows you to play how you want to play, and still have a rewarding experience.     

So, obviously, people are going to be angry when they stop allowing that. It's a stupid decision to force the turtle to be behind a strike, ESPECIALLY a single strike, because you get people who have no interest in doing it and are only there because they're being forced to be intermixed with a crowd of players they don't normally play with directly. It's the same situation with the cloak and this achievement, something that's tied to a celebration of the game; you can avoid doing PvP 100% of the time otherwise, and all of a sudden if you want to finish the 10-year anniversary off some people are forced into content they have no interest in.   

It doesn't matter how easy it is, or how long it takes. There's separate communities that exist within this game, and part of the problem since EOD's launch is that they've started deciding to force them together at various intervals...something the game has purposely not done in the past. Some people aren't going to care, but acting indignant or surprised that other players might be upset about losing that freedom makes no sense. Of course some people are going to be angry.       

And, really, they have every right to be.  It isn't unreasonable for people to want another option, a choice that exists throughout much of the rest of the game's design. Some people will just do something they don't want to just to complete it. Others, if they're forced to do things they don't enjoy, will just go play something they do enjoy instead. It's not a positive or welcome change either way.   

The reason I still play this game and enjoy it is that they don't treat people like second class citizens for not engaging in hardcore content like Raids, Strikes, high-end fractals, or PvP.  Looking down on players like me is the reason I don't play any of those other games anymore, and I know there's a lot of people out there like that. Part of the anger and sensitivity to design decisions like these is that we're just waiting to get burned again, like we always have in the past by everyone else. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Razadune.9260 said:

This game has the people playing it that it does because it doesn't restrict you to doing one specific type of content at the expense of everything else. If you want to raid and do that kind of content, you can. If you want to do PvP, you can. If you want to do just casual PvE open-world style content, you can do that.    

Everyone is on the same level when it comes to gear. Everyone can achieve mastery levels enough to finish off an expansion without being forced to do content that they aren't comfortable with (with the exception of End of Dragons now, since you're forced to do a Strike to get the turtle).  The game is what it is because it doesn't force you into being a raider or else like WoW does, or force you into PvP like Black Desert, or force you into dungeons like FFXIV. GW2's biggest strength has always been that it allows you to play how you want to play, and still have a rewarding experience.     

So, obviously, people are going to be angry when they stop allowing that. It's a stupid decision to force the turtle to be behind a strike, ESPECIALLY a single strike, because you get people who have no interest in doing it and are only there because they're being forced to be intermixed with a crowd of players they don't normally play with directly. It's the same situation with the cloak and this achievement, something that's tied to a celebration of the game; you can avoid doing PvP 100% of the time otherwise, and all of a sudden if you want to finish the 10-year anniversary off some people are forced into content they have no interest in.   

It doesn't matter how easy it is, or how long it takes. There's separate communities that exist within this game, and part of the problem since EOD's launch is that they've started deciding to force them together at various intervals...something the game has purposely not done in the past. Some people aren't going to care, but acting indignant or surprised that other players might be upset about losing that freedom makes no sense. Of course some people are going to be angry.       

And, really, they have every right to be.  It isn't unreasonable for people to want another option, a choice that exists throughout much of the rest of the game's design. Some people will just do something they don't want to just to complete it. Others, if they're forced to do things they don't enjoy, will just go play something they do enjoy instead. It's not a positive or welcome change either way.   

The reason I still play this game and enjoy it is that they don't treat people like second class citizens for not engaging in hardcore content like Raids, Strikes, high-end fractals, or PvP.  Looking down on players like me is the reason I don't play any of those other games anymore, and I know there's a lot of people out there like that. Part of the anger and sensitivity to design decisions like these is that we're just waiting to get burned again, like we always have in the past by everyone else. 

Well said.

Honestly, one of the reasons I've yet to do raids in this game is because I don't want any part of that kind of stress in my life. I did the end-game raiding thing in another game. In some ways, it was a great time because of some of the people I knew from other games who I did it with. But the actual raiding aspect of it, the failing over and over, the struggling to have a good enough team to succeed, the casting around for blame, the constant need to recruit to fill gaps in the main raid team as people came and went, the whole evenings lost to attempts, the preparation, the studying of mechanics, etc.

I love that I can learn on the fly in open world and research stuff later if I want to. I actually learn faster that way. And I love that I can jump in and out of it. I'm not afraid of the personal challenge. I was never one to struggle much with mechanics in raids and I could learn a DPS rotation well if I put the time in. But I don't want the rest of it right now. The first time I played GW2 and got into it was a way to get away from that kind of stress (and a big part of why HoT's "we expect people to play as a group" dismissal put me off the game for so long). And it's tiring when people get told it's just that they are "bad" or whatever if they don't want to play a game that way. Like they think it's all about capability, when some of it's just about desire.

I did the hardcore-like thing for years. It was an irreplaceable experience, good and bad, that worked for that time in my life. Now I want to try another approach.

But wanting to play an MMO in a non-standard way (meaning different from the wow clones git gud, put up with it, standard) gets you viewed as someone who doesn't belong in the video game space. That has been my experience. And it's strange because I go back to the first MMO I ever played, the original SWG, and its design was nothing like that. Like I know the culture doesn't have to be that way. But even in a more non-standard MMO like GW2, the culture from other MMOs bleeds over into this one. It's what most MMO players know MMO as being and I can only imagine it's strange to them to consider it being another way.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Leger.3724 said:

Notice the common theme here - no one can actually dispute the arguments being put forward. They can only attack me and finish with "stop complaining".

But they did dispute your arguments. Your posts are arrogant and wrong. You cannot know what the majority of players want. You can only know what you want.

What you achieved in a moba game is something irrelevant here. Gw2 is not a moba game it’s an mmo. and even if it was, your opinions so far are purely subjective. The number of posts on a forum doesn’t make one less valuable when it comes to opinions. You’re not the main character in gw2. We all are.

That a few ppl struggle with pvp and WvW part of the collection is to be expected. It’s not something everyone enjoys playing. In fact it has been confirmed pvp is in the minority. But that doesn’t mean “most of pve players have a huge problem doing this part of the collection”

as someone who dislike pvp in this game I had no issue doing these 10 matches. I’ve only heard a few ppl complain about having to do them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, Leger.3724 said:

It's hilarious you think this is a bad thing. Most people playing GW2 aren't daily posting on the forums like you guys. Some of us only show up if there is a problem. I am still here because some of you are so ignorant and self-absorbed in your own little worlds that I am worried this is what Arena Net is reading and hearing and they don't understand how the playerbase feels.

Most of us thought it was an unenjoyable chore. If that's the best thing you can say about your 10 year anniversary, you've done a bad job.

Literally all you people can offer is: "stop complaining". It's pathetic, really.

I love how they complain more then anyone by complaining about people complaining, but it is weird to see someone interacting with people who most have on ignore (btw, the forums have an ignore function, its a great tool). Their kind just wants the game to die and not be as good as it could be, they'd prefer everyone quit. 

To be on topic, really, I don't understand this games decade event, it was so bad its honestly hilarious. It should have been massive, instead it was a let down. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

8 hours ago, Caitmonster.9036 said:

Once you do your 10 matches, win or loss, you'll never have to do it again.

I've heard that before, in several other cases Anet tried to push PvE players in trying PvP content. And i am sure i will hear this in the future, when they will try to do it again, unsatisfied with the response they always obtained before.

So, like i have already said in this thread, it's that "i will never have to do it again... until next time".

• Like 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

Here we go again 

“Everyone who disagrees with me wants the game to die” 

this is ridiculous 

Seriously, some of these complaints are downright absurd. It's an optional skin. It's couldn't be further from being required content, and yet some of the people in this thread are arguing that ANet is literally FORCING players to play a gamemode they hate so much they would rather quit, en masse. Like... does it rain on your planet? (Obviously not directing this at you, yoni.7015)

Never mind that practically every collection with a desirable (if only cosmetic) reward involved will invariably require different flavors of gameplay that some players might enjoy less than others. Or that of the collections required for this one, 90% of them are PvE and only 10% is WvW AND PvP.  But this collection, for this cape, with this specific requirement, is ANet literally killing the game? 

Go outside and get some air. We're 11 pages deep about an imaginary cape that you don't even need. Just wear a different cape. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Stadsport.8714 said:

Seriously, some of these complaints are downright absurd. It's an optional skin. It's couldn't be further from being required content, and yet some of the people in this thread are arguing that ANet is literally FORCING players to play a gamemode they hate so much they would rather quit, en masse. Like... does it rain on your planet? (Obviously not directing this at you, yoni.7015)

Never mind that practically every collection with a desirable (if only cosmetic) reward involved will invariably require different flavors of gameplay that some players might enjoy less than others. Or that of the collections required for this one, 90% of them are PvE and only 10% is WvW AND PvP.  But this collection, for this cape, with this specific requirement, is ANet literally killing the game? 

Go outside and get some air. We're 11 pages deep about an imaginary cape that you don't even need. Just wear a different cape. 

It seems to me that the people complaining about those who bring this up as a complaint are taking it more seriously than the people complaining about it. So maybe you should be taking your own advice about the air or whatever.

• Like 4
  • Confused 6

18 hours ago, Razadune.9260 said:

So, hard core content is playing 10 casual sPvP matches, winning or losing you earn progress? This is hard core? Literally just show up and dont even need to perform? Not winning a tournament or getting high on ladder, just playing 10 matches, this is the hard core PvP action? lol get out of here, it baffles me how this topic still active, less time on the foruns on go queue people...hell you can literally go in a match and go complaing in the foruns or go watch nexflix lol you dont even need to win the games...when they gate some big announced reward to be locked behind legend tier of the ladder you guys can complain all you want, but this is ridiculous.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, Felipe.1807 said:

So, hard core content is playing 10 casual sPvP matches, winning or losing you earn progress? This is hard core? Literally just show up and dont even need to perform? Not winning a tournament or getting high on ladder, just playing 10 matches, this is the hard core PvP action? lol get out of here, it baffles me how this topic still active, less time on the foruns on go queue people...hell you can literally go in a match and go complaing in the foruns or go watch nexflix lol you dont even need to win the games...when they gate some big announced reward to be locked behind legend tier of the ladder you guys can complain all you want, but this is ridiculous.

What baffles me is how people dunk on others for wanting to stick to the game mode they most enjoy, instead of listening to them when they try to explain why they stick to it. And it's interesting to me how, in my observation, it's always in the direction of elitism. I never see someone dunking on a PvPer for not wanting to do hearts, but if someone doesn't like competitive play, I start seeing those jabs insinuating that they don't belong, that they are exaggerating the problem they have, that they need to quiet down and just deal with it, etc.

• Like 5
  • Confused 7

53 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

What baffles me is how people dunk on others for wanting to stick to the game mode they most enjoy, instead of listening to them when they try to explain why they stick to it. And it's interesting to me how, in my observation, it's always in the direction of elitism. I never see someone dunking on a PvPer for not wanting to do hearts, but if someone doesn't like competitive play, I start seeing those jabs insinuating that they don't belong, that they are exaggerating the problem they have, that they need to quiet down and just deal with it, etc.

Where do you see all those threads by pvpers not wanting to do hearts but still wanting rewards? Or is this just another strawman attempt with the use of a hypothetical and a not-so-stealthy way of calling people disagreeing with you "elitists" (again) to play a victim when you're not one?

Participate in an easy event and get a bonus cape skin or don't aaand don't get it. Not elitist, not complicated, not insulting to anyone and not required in order for you to play whatever you want to play, however you want to play it.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

11 pages complaining about PvP.

Here's my experience in unranked.

4 wins; 3 of which were close game, one was a stomp.
6 losses; 4 of which were close games; 1 was a stomp, 1  was where a person afk'd.

Salt acquired: 0 (Unless you count the afk person as salt, then it's just 1)

All in all, it's not nearly as bad as everyone thinks it will be, especially now since people are going for the cape so t here will definitely be people worse than you queued for pvp.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

On 9/12/2022 at 4:29 AM, Astralporing.1957 said:

I've heard that before, in several other cases Anet tried to push PvE players in trying PvP content. And i am sure i will hear this in the future, when they will try to do it again, unsatisfied with the response they always obtained before.

So, like i have already said in this thread, it's that "i will never have to do it again... until next time".

As it was stated a few posts above, the skin is optional, it isn't mandatory. If you're not willing to do the content to get the cosmetic, then it clearly doesn't mean that much to you.

It meant enough for me to step out of my comfort zone and try pvp. I had an okay time, there was a little sodium and a lot of chaos, but otherwise I survived. It didn't kill me. And judging by a few responses in this thread, others had a decent time giving pvp a shot too.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

Ive seen a few posts in this thread, and elsewhere, about ANet consistently, or continuously, forcing people into PvP....and yet not a single example of it ever being done has been provided.

Without PvPing at all the 10th anniversary provides the following rewards without touching any form of PvP"

6 armor skins

5 weapon skins

1 wardrobe unlock

1 mount skin

1 black lion weapon ticket

1 dye.

So 15 unlocks without entering wvw or spvp. One skin (two if you count the guild version of the cape as its own skin) for minimal participation in PvP. You are not being forced into pvp. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 9/12/2022 at 6:38 PM, Felipe.1807 said:

I'm not sure what was difficult to understand. Different players like to play different content. The vast majority of the game facilitates that desire, and lets you earn rewards and progress as you want while doing what you want. Making gameplay-specific requirements of your play time isn't something this game normally does, so of course some people are not going to be happy about that. 

As far as your solution, you go AFK and do the matches just to get it done. How is that a benefit for anyone involved? I guess you get the rewards, but that's pretty terrible for the match you were supposed to be involved in and the other people there that were on your team. That's not good for the game, it just screws over the other people that were in that match with you who were counting on having another teammate... why does that seem like a good solution? And to who? Should people do that in strikes, too, when they want their turtle? I'm sure groups would be thrilled to have that going on.   

Instead of complaining about other people's opinions, maybe try listening to them instead of just getting angry about how everyone but you is wrong. If the topic makes you that mad, maybe just...don't read it.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

True as a PvPer i hate when other people are forced into the content they wont like (or obliterated in 2 sec and hate it forever... or in the worst case scenario  despise it , when you argue about it , with other people...).

It will be better for the company from now on , to adopt a public policy of "you can do the requirements to get the item , or wait 2-3 months to create an alternate requirement" .

People will be forced to either do 10 matches or wait 2 months to buy with open world/WvW  currencies, but it foster a happy community .

Then repeat with a different item 3 months later.

Edit:And as an "agency" mechanic to lure people to get the OG version as fast as posible , then the skin/mount could have the "most expensive/alluring color/dye" as baseline ,

or the next 3-month-item have less requirements/played match needed ,

or you need 2 (out of 5) OG Items (not waiting for alternate forms) per year and at the end of the year you are qualified to get a free loot

Edited by Woof.8246
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Woof.8246 said:

True as a PvPer i hate when other people are forced into the content they wont like (or obliterated in 2 sec and hate it forever... or in the worst case scenario  despise it , when you argue about it , with other people...).

It will be better for the company from now on , to adopt a public policy of "you can do the requirements to get the item , or wait 2-3 months to create an alternate requirement" .

People will be forced to either do 10 matches or wait 2 months to buy with open world/WvW  currencies, but it foster a happy community .

Then repeat with a different item 3 months later.

Edit:And as an "agency" mechanic to lure people to get the OG version as fast as posible , then the skin/mount could have the "most expensive/alluring color/dye" as baseline , or the next 3-month-item have less requirements/played match needed

Or it's just left as-is.

All it takes is about two-ish hours to find a random pvp build, learn a rotation, and do that while standing on points in unranked ten times.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

13 hours ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

Or it's just left as-is.

All it takes is about two-ish hours to find a random pvp build, learn a rotation, and do that while standing on points in unranked ten times.

Really for just this collection, you don't even need to do that much... I just used my normal PvE build and still won 5/10 matches, even got "Stadsport is on a rampage" a couple times. I actually tried a PvP build on the 4th or 5th match and it felt clunky and didn't flow as well for me, so I just switched back to my PvE build and had more success 🤪

• Like 1

Yep, been there done that. I'd never played PvP before. So I just chose a character and jumped right into it. My group won several times earning me some weapon boxes in the progress and each match took about 10 minutes. After that I was done but I might return to do some casual PvP to complete that path (there seems to be an armor chest as reward at the end of that path)

I am surprised about the fuzz. It's more or less the same as with every event reward. If you want to win the ugly wintersday piece of clothing you have to do some things that some players don't like (jumping puzzles, killing Jormaq, Doing the Toycalypse several times etc.) and I know players who hate JP. But they don't complaint. They either try to get help or they decide they don't want that award anyway and that's it.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

I tried PvP once... In the 11k hours I have played this game, it was the ONLY time I had to block and report people in this game.

No thank you... that cape ain't special enough to go back to that toxic game mode ever again.

Not even with chat turned off, never again. I do not appreceate lil kids making RL threats to me in a game.

Not for me, that cape ain't special enough for that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

On 9/14/2022 at 7:08 AM, Caitmonster.9036 said:

As it was stated a few posts above, the skin is optional, it isn't mandatory. If you're not willing to do the content to get the cosmetic, then it clearly doesn't mean that much to you.

It meant enough for me to step out of my comfort zone and try pvp. I had an okay time, there was a little sodium and a lot of chaos, but otherwise I survived. It didn't kill me. And judging by a few responses in this thread, others had a decent time giving pvp a shot too.

"Stepping out of your comfort zone" Again, how is that a good thing, and tell me exactly how many times that has worked in gw2? People still to this day complain about the wvw they have to do to get the one item from there for legendries. And again, once again, the only people defending this are people who want others to quit the game for some reason, or are people who have never pvp'd and say "oh it's fine to lose all your matches who cares". 

This argument is just going around in circles at this point. it doesn't matter how you feel, or what the people who want this game to die feel, GW2 was supposed to be the different mmo that does things differently to other mmo's. That you can spend your entire game RP'ing in Lions arch, or flying the griffon. There is not meant to be a way we are meant to play, we all play our own way. Being forced to play things we don't want to, will never be a boon to GW2 but only a deterrent no matter how much the people who want gw2 to die say it isn't. It is just a fact. 

Quoting the ten games and saying its fine is also a useless metric, you need to play at least 1k pvp matches. ten games is nothing, you can just afk through them. The real issue here is people are once again, just like with DE, forced to be a part of a group they don't want to be, that is it, that is the entire thing. There's no point arguing this simple fact. 

Edited by Gorem.8104
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Gorem.8104 said:

"Stepping out of your comfort zone" Again, how is that a good thing, and tell me exactly how many times that has worked in gw2? People still to this day complain about the wvw they have to do to get the one item from there for legendries. And again, once again, the only people defending this are people who want others to quit the game for some reason, or are people who have never pvp'd and say "oh it's fine to lose all your matches who cares". 

This argument is just going around in circles at this point. it doesn't matter how you feel, or what the people who want this game to die feel, GW2 was supposed to be the different mmo that does things differently to other mmo's. That you can spend your entire game RP'ing in Lions arch, or flying the griffon. There is not meant to be a way we are meant to play, we all play our own way. Being forced to play things we don't want to, will never be a boon to GW2 but only a deterrent no matter how much the people who want gw2 to die say it isn't. It is just a fact. 

Quoting the ten games and saying its fine is also a useless metric, you need to play at least 1k pvp matches. ten games is nothing, you can just afk through them. The real issue here is people are once again, just like with DE, forced to be a part of a group they don't want to be, that is it, that is the entire thing. There's no point arguing this simple fact. 

Three weeks later and you are still crying about the ten PvP matches? Oh boy 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Gorem.8104 said:

And you can play how you want to play. No one is stopping you from doing so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2