Core Tyria zones should have the option to only be populated by characters with zone-appropriate levels

In light of recent events where level 80 characters have been harassing newcomers from Steam in the starter zones, for example by following players with their mounts and quickly killing all enemies before the newcomers had a chance to attack themselves, I came up with the idea of introducing the option that in low level regions, you have the option to only share the area with other characters who are also at an appropriate level or a maximum of maybe 15 levels above the recommended one. This would ensure that the new players can experience and enjoy the game at their own pace, just as many veterans were able to experience it themselves a few years ago. Since the whole thing is only optional, no one would be deprived of the option to play with their friends who already have a high level.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 23
  • Sad 4

This is actually a thing. As veteran 80 you can one shot every mob in start area regardless of lvl scaling and clear it so new players cant progress. I saw it yesterday with my own eyes where shiny legendary lvl 80 player completely cleared farm from mobs and continue to do so. I was watching him from skyscale for couple of minutes. No way new players could get a kill.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

19 minutes ago, Luna.6203 said:

This is actually a thing. As veteran 80 you can one shot every mob in start area regardless of lvl scaling and clear it so new players cant progress. I saw it yesterday with my own eyes where shiny legendary lvl 80 player completely cleared farm from mobs and continue to do so. I was watching him from skyscale for couple of minutes. No way new players could get a kill.

To be honest, when I’m on a purely melee character in level 80 zones, geared in ascended and exotics, I’ve had this same experience with Mechanists.

😛

pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

A veteran on a low level alt can still do what you describe as mounts are account wide.

That's true, but it involves a little more effort and he can't do it indefinitely either, because at some point he'll have too high a level. But sure, it's not the perfect solution, but would make it a bit harder for malicious veterans.

• Confused 3

29 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

To be honest, when I’m on a purely melee character in level 80 zones, geared in ascended and exotics, I’ve had this same experience with Mechanists.

😛

pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew

Ive switched to playing a rifle mech when open world farming because it is more efficient, and because I was running into the same issue you describe (even ranged characters can struggle to keep up with rifle mech's tagging/kill speed). But, if I wander into an area where I see melee toons trying to get credit for events and kills, I swap to mace/shield for a bit.

• Like 4

Sounds like a good way to kill all those zones.
Anet specifically wanted lots of experienced players to populate those zones this week. There's no other explanation for their adding low level achievements for every character in the game. They should surely have foreseen that some subset of those players would take the opportunity to show off their "prowess".
Either way, it's a short term issue. Once everyone has ticked off the new achievements and/or got bored hanging out in Queensdale, things will go back to normal. And having experienced players visiting low level zones is generally a good thing for the game.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, costepj.5120 said:

Sounds like a good way to kill all those zones.
Anet specifically wanted lots of experienced players to populate those zones this week. There's no other explanation for their adding low level achievements for every character in the game. They should surely have foreseen that some subset of those players would take the opportunity to show off their "prowess".
Either way, it's a short term issue. Once everyone has ticked off the new achievements and/or got bored hanging out in Queensdale, things will go back to normal. And having experienced players visiting low level zones is generally a good thing for the game.

What low level achievements do you mean? And I stress that this is only optional. High level characters can still visit the zones.

• Confused 6

3 minutes ago, Scalacious.4139 said:

What low level achievements do you mean?

The whole Character Adventure set really, but there are specific requirements to visit scouts in the starter areas for example.
Then the Decade of Adventure requires us to visit all the world bosses in starter zones.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, costepj.5120 said:

The whole Character Adventure set really, but there are specific requirements to visit scouts in the starter areas for example.
Then the Decade of Adventure requires us to visit all the world bosses in starter zones.

The world bosses for the decade armor I get, but the character adventure doesnt even give achievements points and also doesnt require you to be in a starting zone except for the scouts maybe.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

But no one is one shotting world bosses. You can still get your shiverpeak events in frostgorge or timberline, or Lornars. Doing it in Wayfarers is a choice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I think it’s just the initial showing off and/or trying to scare away new steam players by some of the more immature veteran players. Hopefully this will stop in a few days as the novelty wears off. I’ve been avoiding the lower level zones for now, aside from word bosses, because it’s impossible to not one-shot everything to participate in events for the decades armor achievements. Better to go to the higher level zones, even if it takes a bit longer to complete events.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Monarc.9726 said:

I think it’s just the initial showing off and/or trying to scare away new steam players by some of the more immature veteran players. Hopefully this will stop in a few days as the novelty wears off. I’ve been avoiding the lower level zones for now, aside from word bosses, because it’s impossible to not one-shot everything to participate in events for the decades armor achievements. Better to go to the higher level zones, even if it takes a bit longer to complete events.

Yeah I was thinking the same.  Auto attacks one shot enemies in starter zones.  It's too easy to overpower everything.

• Like 2

Why not an option to switch instances? This is the feature I love from Guild Wars 1.

Or, instead of that, an option for levels 1-9 to "only join instances for L01-L09" which is available for everyone. This way, the problem of using mounts to wipe out mobs ahead of low-level characters can at least be minimized. L10 onwards, it is fair play.

Edited by YourOnlyOne.4937

I think the comprehensive solution here is in level scaling, but... idk how hard it is to find a spot where it prevents 80s from blasting everything, without actively making you feel weak in lowbie zones to the point that it's annoying.

Like any time I'm doing map completion or whatever on a lower zone with a high level character, I try to do auto attack only if I see anyone else around, or attack once and stop, that kind of thing. But it's a big nuisance trying to play that way and motivates me to avoid other players and events in those zones.

So I guess my point is, even when there's no ill intent, it can be easy to mess things up for lowbies in lowbie zones just because you're a honking big level 80 character.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

The level 80s will leave once they get their decade armor done.  Could be griefing too but someone would have to be dedicated to do that for more than a few minutes; so I'm guessing not griefing, just have to get the achievements done.  

Other than the decade armor there is little to no incentive to return except for possibly map completion--I'm not sure this is all that intrusive to new players though.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scalacious.4139 said:

In light of recent events where level 80 characters have been harassing newcomers from Steam in the starter zones, for example by following players with their mounts and quickly killing all enemies before the newcomers had a chance to attack themselves, I came up with the idea of introducing the option that in low level regions, you have the option to only share the area with other characters who are also at an appropriate level or a maximum of maybe 15 levels above the recommended one. This would ensure that the new players can experience and enjoy the game at their own pace, just as many veterans were able to experience it themselves a few years ago. Since the whole thing is only optional, no one would be deprived of the option to play with their friends who already have a high level.

We've already had this discussion.  Why a new thread?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

That's not the good way to solve this problem. 

High level player going into low level zone is intended and expected, that's why the downscaling exist. 

The real problem is actually in 2 part, I guess :

First, the downscaling isn't severe enough, I don't know the exact mechanism, but if people can one-shot enemies, it's totally fine to make them weaker, way weaker. 

Second, aren't the core tyria enemies a little too squishy? I mean, I remember taking a lvl35 character in the 1-15 zone, he was normally equipped, not something to fancy, I had trouble finishing my auto attack, mobs were like 3shot by the auto. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2